What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..bacon wrapped jalapenos...

Heh, great kitchen-minds think alike! ;) Just made these again, last nite (albeit, they're more of an 'appetizer' than "Dinner", but....

Duck-Poppers.jpg
..SO Good! 😍

Muscovy-Duck / Jalapeño Cream-Cheese / Bacon-wraps w/ Honey & Pepper-flakes as 'Dip'..
  • Strips of Muscovy-duck, coarse-pepper / sea-salted, and pan-seared in Olive oil just-past Rare... Let cool a bit..
  • Applewood-smoked Bacon, with the nice 'coarse-pepper rind' edges, cooked, but left 'pliable' to Wrap...
  • Half-Teaspoon-size balls of Jalapeño cream cheese...
...then you 'criss-cross wrap' into 'poppers' - (Duck around the cream-cheese balls, bacon around the duck, skewer with a toothpick..)

PS - Forgot one step: Once "done", pop under the Broiler for a bit, to 'crisp-up' the Bacon / warm-up, overall, but.. Not Too long, 'else the cream-cheese will 'leave the building' ;) Then, you..

- Dip in a mix of Honey + Pepper-flakes and wash down with copious amounts your favorite Amber-ale or White wine..

This time, on the Duck-strips, tho, used a bit of Rosemary to season (was a Good variant..) and we just cooked 'em in the Bacon grease, cuz.. 'Yolo' ;)

MRDucks.jpg

..and if ya can't "find" pepper-rinded Bacon, easy enough to simply 'DIY', by rolling 'em into 'logs', and dipping into a field of peppercorn-grindered flakes..

Pepprd-Bacon-Logs.jpg
..Bada-bing. :cool:

...Dang, now I want s'more! ;)
jd

Last edited:
Y'all got your black eyed peas ready to cook on New years?
DW does the holiday cooking, like corn beef for St. Patrick's day.
But New year seem more like everyday with Ham, collards, Black eyed peas & cornbread.

Since it is the holiday season... yesterday in town I stopped for roast beast at the good deli and a fresh loaf of Italian bread. I also picked up a few slices of provalone cheese.

Dinner tonight was a big sandwich... I added diced onion/bell pepper and melted the cheese... so good.

Oh, I tried Zatarains prepared horse radish tonight. It's decent but I think I prefer the Inglehoffer brand.

I found unopened orange sherbet ice cream in the big freezer this afternoon. Thinking about dessert.

My uncles farm was next to ours, he had a little country store. Of course there was candy, icecream, honey buns and Grapico grape soda.

My favorite was orange sherbet "push ups", a tube of sherbert on a stick. Anyway, that was the local name.
I remember Push ups. They were kind of like an orange creme flavor. Good stuff!

Latest posts

Back