What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, thanks Weedy. The amish community has stepped up for us, and granddaughter is not liking it one bit. They are frequent customers where she works. She's been at work all night (I think), and grandson was asleep all day, and called us this evening when he woke up to see where everyone was. He just asked me what we had for dinner. I would not of brought him there anyway, he's not welcome anymore.
Pizza was good, zucchini cake and ice cream for dessert, and fresh watermelon and cantaloupe. The company was excellent. We all sang Happy Birthday to husband.

We don't have Ethiopian or Mediterranean cuisine in this area. We're lucky to have a Chinese place an hour away-- although it has Americanized food.

I don't think the service issue is culture so much as luck of the draw with waitstaff. I've gone to the same restaurant and had great service one night and terrible on another. The chair situation at the Ethiopian place does not sound good to me.

I had pork chops for breakfast and am trying to decide what I want for dinner. I think beef with broccoli.

We went out for Ethiopian food. Not my favorite. The daughter wanted it. It was better than the last time I had it. The lamb dish was good. The lentils were good. Other things ... not spiced to my taste. Edible though. Ethiopians have this fermented bread that is very unique. Spongy and stretchy. You use it to pick up your food, with your hands, since they don't have forks.

If you have back problems, or are fat, scan the restaurant for normal tables and chairs first. You'll definitely want those. Leave the midget stools and tables woven like baskets to the younger, more physically fit and flexible folks. Unless you like sitting there with your knees in your armpits, bent over trying to eat something the consistency of a bowl of chili with your fingers. Hint: Ladies, do not wear short skirts! The seating position is anything but modest. We're jeans and shorts wearing type of people so that part didn't affect us, but the party next to us seemed to have some issues in that department. Our entire parties food came on one big plate for the entire table. About 3 feet in diameter. Lots of reaching. Definitely skip the white shirt. And dangly necklaces too. Don't plan on a quick meal. Several hours at every Ethiopian restaurant I've been too. There always seems to be only one employee - owner, front desk hostess, waitress, cook and busboy. All-in-one. And meals appear labor intensive to make.

All-in-all, it was a fun evening. At least, once we moved our seating from the Hobbit stools around the woven basket to a normal table. Up until that point, we were pretty miserable. And learn that you are eating in a place from a different culture. Expect your water glass to remain empty for extended periods of time, if you even got it in the first place. If we had waited for the bill to be delivered on the proprietors timeframe, we would probably still be there waiting today. No greeting when you come in or checking in on you to see if everything is alright or if you need anything. Service means different things in different cultures. The proprietor did come talk to us after dinner and was friendly. The low service level followed by the friendly after dinner chat must be more in keeping with the culture I think. About $20 -$25 per person for the food. Drinks, appetizers, desserts, tip extra on top of that.
There are several Ethiopian restaurants in the area. I ate at one, once, more than 20 years ago, and somehow, I was not a fan of the tastes. It might have been the red spice that they use. I think I should try it again.

There are several Ethiopian restaurants in the area. I ate at one, once, more than 20 years ago, and somehow, I was not a fan of the tastes. It might have been the red spice that they use. I think I should try it again.
We ate at the one in Lafayette. That red spice was not my favorite either. The ground lamb dish had a greener looking seasoning and that wasn't too bad. The beef and the chicken entrees used the red spice.

Ethiopian is the one ethnic cuisine that I would not pick if I were choosing the restaurant. Mexican, Chinese, Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Italian, Cajun, Polish, Mediterranean, etc. I would gladly go to. Ethiopian - "because my daughter wanted to go there" - but that's the only reason I'd grace the place again.

Dinner was Mod Pizza since we were out with friends. I failed the pizza check and got their Italian chop salad instead. Yum!

Edited to add: I must be the weirdo here who likes Ethiopian food — but that said, I haven’t had it in -coughcoughmustbetwentycough- years. There’s a great little hole-in-the-wall neaarrrrr …. Central Square on the Boston T line? If I’m remembering correctly?

I’m a huge fan of injera (the fermented sponge bread stuff) and everything I had there, I enjoyed.

I had a Polish sausage and seared spinach salad with crushed Doritos and tomato in a light vinegar and mayonnaise sauce with pepper, minced onion and dill.

Edited to add: I must be the weirdo here who likes Ethiopian food — but that said, I haven’t had it in -coughcoughmustbetwentycough- years. There’s a great little hole-in-the-wall neaarrrrr …. Central Square on the Boston T line? If I’m remembering correctly?

I’m a huge fan of injera (the fermented sponge bread stuff) and everything I had there, I enjoyed.
I typically like any ethnic food, and I know people who love Ethiopian. I need to try again.

Dinner was Mod Pizza since we were out with friends. I failed the pizza check and got their Italian chop salad instead. Yum!

Great avatar picture!!

I've been having leftover Pork Picadillo morning, noon and night now for several days (OK, not mornings). You'd think I'd be getting sick of it. But no, I'm still enjoying it. And only 3 more lbs to go until the leftovers are gone! Next time, I'll cut the second 6 lb roast I have in the freezer into thirds instead of throwing the whole thing into the crock pot.

Note to self: Even when you see the Pork Shoulder on sale as "buy one get one free" which brings the total price down to only $1.25 per pound, you don't need 15 lbs of the stuff. Unfortunately all the roasts were 6, 7 or 8 lbs each when I bought it. And I didn't even buy it at Costco. The Costco roasts were something like 20 lbs each last time I looked, IIRC. Massive.

Gonna burn another tri-tip roast on the BBQ, this time it's marinated in Hatch Green Chile sauce... gotta love those Hatch Chiles!!! I also have some peppers on the bush in the yard, the Jalapenos are turning red, lol... think I'll grill a few of those for flavor, maybe add some onion too. Green salad on the side, with lettuce, cucumber & vine-ripened tomato. :)

P.S. Might throw some Haas avocado atop that salad if I'm hungry enough... ;)

This morning I fried some wonton, haven't done it before... Bought the dough from the market, comes prepackaged, cut into squares. I wonder If I can freeze to rest of the dough?

Had leftover cabbage stir fry for lunch. Haven't made it in a while, forgot to use low sodium soy sauce last night so it came out a little salty. Still good though.

food wonton 82a.JPG
food wonton 83a.JPG

This morning I fried some wonton, haven't done it before... Bought the dough from the market, comes prepackaged, cut into squares. I wonder If I can freeze to rest of the dough?

Had leftover cabbage stir fry for lunch. Haven't made it in a while, forgot to use low sodium soy sauce last night so it came out a little salty. Still good though.

View attachment 92001View attachment 92002
I'm pretty sure you can freeze the leftover dough!! I haven't had it in a while (looks and sounds good), but I vaguely remember freezing uncooked dough!

I ate at the Penny's Diner in North Platte, Nebraska tonight. If you've never eaten at a Penny's Diner, you're missing out. They are attached to what used to be the Oak Tree Inn hotels, which were bought out by Travelodge. You'll find them in railroad towns, they're open 24/7, and they make a damn good breakfast! I had a great big 3 egg scramble with ham, bacon,  and sausage, over hash browns and cheese. Wow! I finished it but im about to regret eating it all!😁

Last night we had a casserole to use some of the garden output, don't know what to call it chicken, squash, carrots, mushrooms, onions, garlic, and breadcrumbs in a white sauce. Like I said don't know what to call it, the wife made it up on the fly and it was good. We actually made 2, froze 1 and will be eating the leftovers again tonight...

Latest posts

Back