What Branch of Military

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I served in the Army ,
1966-1968,

3rd Armored Calvary Regiment---Brave Rifles,
3rd cav.jpg

Just curious what branch my fellow Talkfirearms friends put their time in.

Jim

I served in the Navy JIM. I was VC8 squadron from 1977-1983. I did 3 years active in Puerto Rico and 3 years reserve in Columbus,Ohio. Count me a proud veteran.

Navy....
1985_1994
USS Benjamin Franklin SSBN 640
USS James Madison SSBN 627
Polaris Missile Facility, Arduous Sea Contingent SPC 102

USAF Last at Bunker Hill/Grissom AFB, 305th Bomb Wing ( B-58s )

Ahhhhh...............jackhammer jockey.

US Army 1961-1964. Taught tracked and wheeled vehicle mechanics at The Armor School, Fort Knox, KY. Never went anywhere else.

Texas State Guard 1990-1995. Assistant Provost Marshal / criminal investigator

Retired Army First Sgt, Airborne, Pathfinder.
Drafted June 67- Vietnam Infantry- June 68
10 year service break then returned and served out 18 more.
IIB5PF7M

Hey Top, so glad you're here Sarge!

As for me... Army SSG E6 2/192 1977-1983

USNAVY! 1972-1976. The biggest battle was in the "Gut", downtown Naples Italy.
Had orders to go to Nam as 50cal gunner on a river boat. Went thru training and Tricky Sick signed the piece treaty 3 months before I could go. I still feel guilty about not going.

Mark

Here's one outside of Montagnard village, I'm the skinny dude on the left side.

The black guy Pvt Cormier was killed shortly after this pic was taken.

a parrot.jpg

United States Coast Guard 1978-1998; 19 years of which we’re in law enforcement of one form or another. Retired as LCDR (O-4).

United States Coast Guard 1978-1998; 19 years of which we’re in law enforcement of one form or another. Retired as LCDR (O-4).

Did you ever serve at any of the inland river ports ?

Did you ever serve at any of the inland river ports ?
Yes but not a small boat station or construction tender or anything like that. My first unit was the Coast Guard Cutter Weatwind(WAGB-281). At the time she was stationed in Milwaukee WI. While not an inland river according to the formal definition, I also served at a Marine Safety Office and then a Port Safety Detachment in Albany NY which is on the Hudson River. Always wanted to serve in the 2nd District, just never got the chance.

I was master/pilot/steam mate unlimited on towboats in 2nd District, mostly Ohio, Upper Miss, and Ill Rivers.

I was master/pilot/steam mate unlimited on towboats in 2nd District, mostly Ohio, Upper Miss, and Ill Rivers.
What an awesome and super tough job! The river is not easy to navigate south bound especially with a bunch of barges tied together.

I'm glad I came along post stern wheel days and anymore there are plenty of tugs to assist at locks and bridges during high water.

I'm glad I came along post stern wheel days and anymore there are plenty of tugs to assist at locks and bridges during high water.
Yeah but you still have to keep up with the current ... most people don’t realize it’s the relative speed of the water over the rudder that determines maneuverability ... you can be screaming along at 10 it’s but if the current is doing the same in the same direction you have no steerage - the rudder is useless. That’s tough business - hats off to you.

What company did you sail with brother?

Thank you sir. Being retired for 6 yrs now has caused the diverticulitis to be no more.

United States Air Force 1969-1989, retired. Electronic Technician stationed in Korea, States, Italy, States, Crete Greece, states then retired.

[QUOTE="What company did you sail with brother?[/QUOTE]

I just noticed that last part. Last company was Alter Barge Line out of Quad Cities. They sold out to Marquette Trans' so I "retired" a few months pre SS.

USAF 1982-2010. Alaska, Montana, Spain, Mississippi, Japan, Korea, Delaware, Texas, Italy, with deployments to Iraq, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates, and Qatar.

Thanks much and God Bless to all you vets, your families who supported you, to those folks on this forum who supported us.

United States Marine Corps Oct. 1965 - Oct. 1987 Active Duty

Vietnam 1966-1967
MCB Quang Tri, I corps
Marine Corps Combat Base, Dong Ha, I Corps, on the DMZ

MCB Camp Pendleton Ca
MCRD San Diego Ca
Marine Corps Finance Center, KC Mo
Okinawa , when it was a US pocession
MC Air station, Cherry Point, NC
Recruiting Duty, Long Island NY
MCB Camp Lejeune, NC
Marine Corps Air Station, New River, NC
Instructor, Financial Management School, Camp Johnson, NC

Uninted States Marine Corps Civil Service 1988-2003
Instructor Financial Management School, Camp Johnson, NC
Head of Computer Systems, Marine Corps Schools, Camp Johnson NC
Computer Systems tech, MCB Camp Lejeune NC
Information Systems Management Officer, MCB Camp Lejeune, NC
Information Systems Security Officer, MCB Camp Lejeune, NC
Retired July 2003

SEMPER FI
Frank Toth Jr.

US Navy 1966-69 Got out as an E5 (SecondClass) Radioman. After Radioman school served the rest of my enlistment aboard the destroyer USS Herbert J Thomas DD833. Homeported in San Diego and made three 6 month cruises to the friendly waters of North and South Vietnam. Gave lots of gunfire support to troops on shore with out 5 inch guns.

Latest posts

Back