What "caustic" chemicals are used in "Commercial" Tanning of Leather....???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK.......or what might be added after the completed tanning process to preserve the leather......while still at the tannery, or where it might be warehoused till a manufacturer turned it into a finished product.......like leather gloves for example.

OK.......or what might be added after the completed tanning process to preserve the leather......while still at the tannery, or where it might be warehoused till a manufacturer turned it into a finished product.......like leather gloves for example.

Leather lube - which is a blend of oils, waxes and soaps.

I doubt that is caustic......

Urine was used in times gone by over here, I think I would prefer that to some of todays chemicals.

Did you get new gloves that your hands reacted to?

"Kind'a"..........and yes, I am attempting to figure what happened to my hands. But it is unlikely to end up 100% conclusive. That is "one" of thee possibilities I am assessing, and seems the most likely, but I don't understand how or why.

"Doctor Rebecca"

I think you have discovered the cause. That photo is pretty much exactly what happened. This has been an interesting experience for me. My guess is that this pair in new gloves, "might" have somehow had a high concentration of that chemical residue.

I’m not a doctor, but if it is an allergic reaction, the Benadryl and Cortisone 10 discussed in the other thread might do the trick.

I’m not a doctor, but if it is an allergic reaction, the Benadryl and Cortisone 10 discussed in the other thread might do the trick.

I agree...........I have been using "Triple Antibiotic Ointment", and that seems to have helped. One thing that is interesting is that I only had that pair of new gloves on my hands for two or three minutes, to be sure that they fit me OK. They were new and never worn, but they were purchased quite some time ago, and have been in storage inside a cache.

I tried them on roughly 12 or 14 days ago, and this condition only started recovering "slowly" a couple of days ago.

I do suspect this was unique to this exact pair of gloves, because I pretty much live in leather gloves the last 70'ish years.

Last edited:
I agree...........I have been using "Triple Antibiotic Ointment", and that seems to have helped. One thing that is interesting is that I only had that pair of new gloves on my hands for two or three minutes, to be sure that they fit me OK. They were new and never worn, but they were purchased quite some time ago, and have been in storage inside a cache.

I tried them on roughly 12 or 14 days ago, and this condition only started recovering "slowly" a couple of days ago.

I do suspect this was unique to this exact pair of gloves, because I pretty much live in leather gloves the last 70'ish years.

I am late coming to this thread, but here's just a thought...

If you can ascertain the brand of gloves and then do a search of reviews on places like Amazon, or Google/DuckDuckGo, paying particular attention to those reviews from that general time period that you bought them, maybe you will catch a review similar to your experience (or not).

If it's an expensive name brand, there's also a possibility of counterfeits made with questionable materials.

Hattip to 'Doctor Rebecca' and 'Sherlock Sourdough Holmes'. Both of you seem to be doing pretty good detective work.

Last edited:
Urine was used in times gone by over here, I think I would prefer that to some of todays chemicals.
I've seen stuff tanned with urine, in times of high heat or moisture the odor returns, sometimes strongly.

Mom has a rash on her legs now. The doctor has her on Cortisone 10, three times a day.

Back