Helpful Info. What Did You Learn by Camping?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done most of my camping on my own, on Dartmoor which is our local national park, peat moorland, very few trees, granite "tors" open landscape, very bleak.

LOL, I went on a "Campout" in Taiwan.

100 people on a concrete platform singing songs around a bonfire. Then everyone went home to sleep.

The wife and I decided last spring to camp out on the ranch until the house is built. Of course we had no idea that this was going to be the worst winter in years. I recently asked her about camping out at one of our alpine lakes later this summer. I never heard her use language like that before. So I guess what I learned about camping is I'll have to go it alone from now on.

now i wanna go camping after reading all of this.i've even gone as far as pitch it.just to make sure it's still waterproof,and to air it out..
It's not spring yet, but I'm starting to get the bug too. There's a trout stream just three miles from me that has a great trail about 4 miles back to a huge rock faced waterfall. Really great spot. Just wish the water was a little bit warmer for swimming though! It's good to get away from the world once in a while.

yeah it is great to get away from things for a while..i wouldn't be surprised if i can campout the beginning of next month,with the way this winter is going for us so far..it'd be a matter of making sure i stay warm at night.then build a campfire in the morning,if it should get cold at night..

the worst camping I did was with other people, they were up all night drinking beer when I wanted to sleep, and in the early morning when I was up they were all fast asleep in their tents, solo camping is best for me, I really don't have the time or inclination for others lifestyles.

I'm looking forward to getting out too, I've got a few sites bookmarked, with fishing either onsite or nearby. I don't backpack anymore, I'm more of a leisure camper these days and it won't be till May at the earliest, I'm done freezing my bits off and watching the rain.;)

I'm looking forward to getting out too, I've got a few sites bookmarked, with fishing either onsite or nearby. I don't backpack anymore, I'm more of a leisure camper these days and it won't be till May at the earliest, I'm done freezing my bits off and watching the rain.;)
Same here Sally. It will just be me and the mutt going. The wife says she'll never camp out again. I'm looking forward to going camping this spring. This past week about 3-5 feet of our snow pack melted off leaving only about 2-4 feet to go. Ice out on some of our mountain lakes isn't until late June or early July so I still have awhile to wait to get in to some of our higher lakes. But there are plenty of lower elevation places to go when the snows gone. Ice is off most of our creeks now due to flooding, but they're too high and muddy for fishing. I usually go by ATV, Jeep or on foot when I camp out. Years ago I used horses a lot, and will again soon.

I have to say, that every time I've gone camping, it's been out in the woods, not a campground, etc. (and generally, a good hour away from civilization of any sort, or even a business). Most was in Alaska, as a kid, but any other was as an adult, in Florida.

Another good tip...extendable camping fork (so great for cooking over an open fire).

Another: Rolled up piece of wire mesh, makes a great grill, when sandwiched between flat rocks. (and easy to pack)

I've noticed now, among some people (not from around here) that they refer to "primitive camping" whereas we just called it "camping".

Generally when I camp, I don't want to see anyone. If I see people, it's not really camping, just "going to the lake", where there are lots.

I don't feel the need to start knapping stones, but I don't want to be "at home" either.

Last time I went camping with "friends", the guy played LOUD thrasher rock music until 1 am. To hell with that!

Latest posts

Back