What do you remember "PERSONALLY" about your life in America in 1950's ??

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was born in the US in 12/1944, but my dad was stationed all over. I spent the entire 1950's (and 1961, too) in Micronesia, and didn't get back to the States until I was 17. What I saw at that time was not what I thought Americas either was or should be.
If you have never seen the movie, "An Officer & a Gentleman", you might find the story line interesting.

I was born in 1954 and have a few memories going back to about 1955 or 1956.

I remember going to the hospital and looking through a window where they had the newborn babies on display. I think it was my younger brother -- one and a half years younger than me.

I remember being in a playpen when my younger brother was put in with me. He didn't really do anything and was kind of boring. I remember both of us later standing at the side wanting out.

I remember when I got my first bedroom when they took me out of the play pen -- a cot in a closet just big enough to fit the cot in.

I remember learning to walk with my parents and my sister sitting on the sofa watching me struggled at it.

I remember toilet training. I also remember not understanding the point of toilet training because the system we were using had been working fine. Today, I would call that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I remember riding in our old Willis jeep to go out to the barn. I probably rode in it more than once but I just remember the one time.

I remember looking in the bath tub and seeing a couple of live snakes. I always thought that one of my older brothers had caught them and brought them inside. Later, I found out that the overflow in the bathtub went through the wall and into the back yard and they came in through that.

I remember having strep throat. My mother had it, too, but she didn't know it and didn't get it treated and ended up spending months in bed with rheumatic fever.

There are some other memories that might have been from the 1950s, but I'm not sure.

One thing that I'm lucky not to remember is when we got our drinking water from the overhead tank. Remember the Bradley girls swiming tank in Petticoat Junction? We had one like that and that was where we got our water until we put in a pressure tank in the early 1960s. The problem was that it was open on top. In the early 1970s, I helped clean that tank out. By then, the bottom foot or so was the most disgusting sludge imagineable.

I was born in 1949 and remember the 50's as we moved to a 5 acre place while my dad worked full time. Pulling nails from salvaged lumber and saving the nails to reuse. Eating out was a very rare occasion and consisted of a bag of 15 cent hamburgers. School did not include free food, it was a brown bag from home and 3 cent carton of milk. Long summer days playing in the dirt and taking things apart (my mechanical skills didn't include putting them back together at that point in time).

I was born in 1949 and remember the 50's as we moved to a 5 acre place while my dad worked full time. Pulling nails from salvaged lumber and saving the nails to reuse. Eating out was a very rare occasion and consisted of a bag of 15 cent hamburgers. School did not include free food, it was a brown bag from home and 3 cent carton of milk. Long summer days playing in the dirt and taking things apart (my mechanical skills didn't include putting them back together at that point in time).
You got cartons of milk? We got individual small glass bottles of milk having a cardboard disk stopper when I was in elementary school.

You got cartons of milk? We got individual small glass bottles of milk having a cardboard disk stopper when I was in elementary school.
We just had goats at home. I don't remember what we had at school or if we had milk.

When I went to college, the dining hall I ate in had small bottles of milk at breakfast. The bottles were pretty nifty, but having grown up and goat's milk, I didn't see it as something to drink on its own.

Latest posts

Back