What does everyone do for a living?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Retired from the DoD after 35 Years of Service... Loving Every Minute

40 + years self employed mechanic !................Now retired..............

Last edited by a moderator:
Semi retired but not retired from a semi. LOL

Independent Petroleum Landman.

Electrical Engineer by degree, but now 100% computer software developer. My hardware design days were limited to only a few years at the start of my career. Current area of expertise is monitoring internal computers/virtual machines (about 1500 of them) at my company - database, network, security, web, interfaces, custom and off-the-shelf applications, etc. I don't deal with employee laptops/workstations, just the bigger corporate servers. Basically monitor, diagnose and when possible automatically repair trouble before it becomes trouble that humans/customers would notice. This monitoring software interfaces with a ticketing system to send alerts to humans who can fix the things that can't automatically be fixed. Expertise strongest (by far) in Linux, Unix and related operating systems, but do occasionally dabble in Windows (which I dislike and try to avoid if possible). Started my programming life decades ago in C on System V and Berkeley Unix systems, then C++, but now use mostly PERL as it is a perfect match for the needs of monitoring. Previous area of expertise was automatic control of electronics manufacturing factory equipment. First 15 years of my engineering career I was also a paramedic. Ah, to be young again. Work all day in engineering, then stay up all night and weekends running ambulance calls. Don't know how in the heck I used to do that...

Turd hurder, kinda. I am a general engineering contractor and we specialize in underground utility install.

Professional Steering Wheel Holder!

Retired ...... have been for 14 years now. Just travel around and shoot RF benchrest matches. do a lot of traveling in the rv with the wife in between and take it to some matches.

Retired since 2015 with 39+ years of police service. Before that, I managed a H-D dealership. Before that, US Army.

Nowadays, in order to earn my keep, I do about 75% of the laundry, feed dogs and cats about 95% of the time, mow often in the warm months, keep heat working in the well house during the cold months, make sure the car is maintained (drive it to the oil change lane), get the mail from the mailbox when temps are extreme, and am starting to set up at gun shows trying to sell some of my guns to supplement pensions and prevent them from going to the recipient of my family trust when I pass on...

Retired from General Motors

I'm a railroader. Specifically, I travel around the western 2/3 of America doing track maintenance. Everything from running heavy equipment to driving spikes with a sledgehammer.

In between competitive shooting matches I provide discrete companionship for lonely middle aged women.
So then you're an unemployed IRS accountant or post office worker? :pokestick::ROLF: :stir pot:

Mostly I kick back and let the Soc. Sec. and Paltry Pension flow into and out of my bank account. Also get pin money from being a Senior Companion for a few hours a week. [No, that isn't code for Geezer Gigolo.]

What kind of person publicly admits he was a QA Nerd anyway? Must not have been a very good one if you can't identify a hunka hunka burnin' love from a photo. That's right, dog, I got the swink that the ladies can't get enough of. Whoop there it is! Whoop there it is!

I doubt you even shoot competition. What's your USPSA classification? What about your IDPA classification? You probably don't even have one.

There's only two types of shooters. Those that compete and those that don't. Which one are you?
Fine you're a postal worker. I know how sensitive and devoid of reality you guys get around the holidays. As for quality assurance, I'd rather be good all of the time than get lucky by accident. :wink:

this is the machine that I used in 2012

this is our new one 2014

I have been running these machines since 1998
been with the company 28 yrs.

Nowadays, I work with home oxygen, CPAP, walkers, wheelchairs, commodes, hospital beds, and other medical equipment. I'm old enough to retire but I love what I do.

I fix forklifts and material handling equipment. Soon to retire (10-04-18).
100% job insurance, free vehicle and gas, can't be outsourced; different place, different model, different problem, different customer, everyday, never boring.
For the love, please encourage the young people to check out an exciting career in this field.
Every metro area has unfilled openings continuously.
Some of us be getting old, and the shortage is only getting bigger.
(oh, and I make a
poop.png
-ton of money with benefits out the wazoo)

Does TV channel and web surfing count ?

What kind of person publicly admits he was a QA Nerd anyway? Must not have been a very good one if you can't identify a hunka hunka burnin' love from a photo. That's right, dog, I got the swink that the ladies can't get enough of. Whoop there it is! Whoop there it is!

I doubt you even shoot competition. What's your USPSA classification? What about your IDPA classification? You probably don't even have one.

There's only two types of shooters. Those that compete and those that don't. Which one are you?

I compete. I use my real name on here and other sites. The disciplines I shoot are public record and on their sites, ARA, PSL. Where are yours or are you one of those KEYBOARD SHOOTERS. Show up or shut up .......

I compete. I use my real name on here and other sites. The disciplines I shoot are public record and on their sites, ARA, PSL. Where are yours or are you one of those KEYBOARD SHOOTERS. Show up or shut up .......
You are awesome :wink:

Retired ...... have been for 14 years now. Just travel around and shoot RF benchrest matches. do a lot of traveling in the rv with the wife in between and take it to some matches.
Have you ever competed against 6G19s the competition shooter from kommifornia?
I'm sorry Mon! I just read your response to comp-shooter.
Right on man! Just right on!

Are you related to a Steve Toth in Ohio?

I use my real name.................Tom, last name Woody, look me up on Face Book !......................

Latest posts

Back