What Hobbies do you have?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I quit working for the man and my personal emancipation proclamation eleven years ago to the date next week! It's kinda difficult to differentiate my hobbies from my livelihood. They have inner twined?

Hay, firewood, stocks, lambs, bikes, motorbikes, cars, guns, archery, metal fab, mechanics, leather, reading, writing, learning, health, lifting weights, hiking, dog training, cooking, and swapping lies?
I think this is true for some people. You might retire, and then do something that you enjoy. For me, I started watching my grand dog, and that turned into a small business of watching other people's dogs. Once a person gets set up to do something for yourself, and especially if it is very satisfying, then the possibility of doing it as a side gig arises.

I guess I up cycle, if that is making more useful stuff out of things others have given up on

It is a list I found. I think anyone can add what their hobbies are, even if they are not on the list. Drinking beer, watching Nascar and watching Asian movies isn't on my list, but probably is on yours. What else would you add to the possible hobbies?
Three of my hobbies started when I was fourteen (that would be ...let's see...about 65 years ago). I never have stopped, and it actually supported me for a couple of years:
  • Learning how to play a musical instrument;
  • Teaching musical instrument(s);
  • Playing music.
Plus, being a musician's supposed to get you women, but Dawn said she married me despite my music rather than for it. (I still do not understand why she said that.)

Since I quit working for the man and my personal emancipation proclamation eleven years ago to the date next week! It's kinda difficult to differentiate my hobbies from my livelihood. They have inner twined?

Hay, firewood, stocks, lambs, bikes, motorbikes, cars, guns, archery, metal fab, mechanics, leather, reading, writing, learning, health, lifting weights, hiking, dog training, cooking, and swapping lies?
Exactly on differentiating between hobbies from livelihood. I garden, take care of my chickens, process firewood, and take car of my dogs. Actual hobbies would be history, my classic cars, cooking and I guess admiring women if thats considered a hobby!

Three of my hobbies started when I was fourteen (that would be ...let's see...about 65 years ago). I never have stopped, and it actually supported me for a couple of years:
  • Learning how to play a musical instrument;
  • Teaching musical instrument(s);
  • Playing music.
Plus, being a musician's supposed to get you women, but Dawn said she married me despite my music rather than for it. (I still do not understand why she said that.)
My husband is a bass player - I get it 😂

Outlook-svky3u5q.jpg

I had to think about this for a bit! Many of the things I do would be considered hobbies, but if I try something and it sticks I tend to dive in and make them part of my life more than just a hobby. Gardening, chickens, cooking, canning and preserving, baking, all started as “hobbies”. In reality, my most significant hobby is gathering knowledge and trying out everything and anything. A extension of that is figuring out how to make things work, I can spend days tearing something broken apart to find out how to fix it and then put it back together. I also love to fish, hike, watch birds, identify pollinators (so many different bees and butterflies!), listen to music, forage fruit and mushrooms in the woods, watch the sky.

Photography used to be a profession, now more of a hobby. Canning used to be a hobby, now more of a job and necessity. I want to start studying ancestry. That will be a hobby.
Oh but how quickly it becomes an obsession 😂

I like animal and nature photography and set old photos in albums *NOT* virtual albums
Old photos of grand dad, grandma, aunties etc..)

I make albums in Computer to save photos from my Samsung Camera
but so nice to print your new of the best photos as REAL photos in a frame on the wall too :)
like people were doing (ie : my Mother and old Aunties were setting it )

I remember when I was a kid sometimes in the afternoon we were sitting on the porch with a glass of juice and looking at albums of photos Ah! such good memories.! ❤️

Last edited:
Great lists, Weedy!!
I saw one that I've always wanted to learn, bird watching.

I used to wood work, back when I worked in lumberyards and had access to free wood. Still have all my tools, electrical and old time hand tools.

One hobby I have had for over 65 years, and still practice every day, is the study of military history. especially World War 2.
I do a lot of war history I have a copy of the text from West Point That details the Battles, I have a complete history of the Civil War I also have the Burma Road book My father had from his time in Merrill's Marauders and The 8th Air corps Text, MY uncle was FOD two weeks before the end of the war he was a belly gunner.

Growing fruit plants, read, watch movies & a new one walking, bird watching.
Joel A buddy and I were at a park drinking beer
Old guy asks if he can have the cans
I told him to have a seat and a beer. He can have all the cans
We talked. He said his Dr told him to walk and while walking he picks up cans
I asked if their was money in scrounging cans
He pointed to a really nice custom Ford van and said it pays that note
Every day I pick up cans in this park and one other across town

My main hobbies are precision long range shooting and Gunsmithing,

Building race cars, Music, planting things especially fruit trees,

living in the woods, old log cabins and homes from the 17 and 1800s I especially like old barns like the ones in Pennsylvania Dutch areas Like Berkshires
We have a thread "Love Them Old Barns." If you have a favorite or two, might pop in and add what you like.

Well this is a fun thread!

I've done a TON of things that are hobby-ish. But most of the "hobby" things I do now are more practical.

I've recently started canning and enjoy having cabinets of goodies.
I've also recently started germinating and growing everything I can from seed.. purchased seeds, pirated seeds, seeds from fruits and veggies from the market..
I've also dabbled in making primitive weapons and tools..
I've trapped a few critters with snares...just to prove I could.
I've also recently started cooking from scratch and trying my mom and grandmother's recipes... have fallen in love with cast iron and baking bread.
Recently bought a sewing machine (which won't do me a bit of good with no power, but it's been fun and frustrating learning to sew.
I love to forage and learning what native plants can be used as food, medicine, etc.
I've ALWAYS liked photography.. from my 110 camera as a teenager, through "real" SLR, to Digital SLR cameras.. So I have a MILLION pics I could share of a zillion things.
I like rockhounding and rock polishing and the jewelry you can make them..
We do geocache when we travel or make our rare daytrips.
We camp (yes we have a camper)..
And we have horses .. that don't get ridden near as much as they should.

So I have plenty to keep me busy when I'm not working my real job (from home) or taking care of the critters.

20210220_194559.jpg

Latest posts

Back