What if the last time you went to the store was the LAST TIME FOREVER?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty well set. If it was my last time to the store, I'd get beer and cashews.
As previously mentioned, I'm pretty well stocked but is there such a thing as too much beer and cashews?
I went to the beer store last week. Not sure I bought enough (see pic of 20 cases) so maybe I'll have to make another beer run.
Resized_20240227_134905.jpeg

Just think about that for a minute. If there was no more trips out to buy what you need, would you / your family make it?

Not for very long. Maintenance medication would be the big issue. The other staples are O.K. One thing we have stashed is old phone books to use in place of TP. The old phone books, which are hard to find now, and newspaper are the closest paper products I can find to replace toilet paper. We still save newspaper.

Not for very long. Maintenance medication would be the big issue. The other staples are O.K. One thing we have stashed is old phone books to use in place of TP. The old phone books, which are hard to find now, and newspaper are the closest paper products I can find to replace toilet paper. We still save newspaper.

So.....why not just store.....TP.......?

I don't know if there is a name for this....issue....but I've been seeing it for years.....people storing alternatives to something as a prep.....but given the THING itself is still available.....why not just, store more toilet paper?

I don't know if there is a name for this....issue....but I've been seeing it for years.....people storing alternatives to something as a prep.....but given the THING itself is still available.....why not just, store more toilet paper?

We do, and we have an ample supply, but if it is no longer available we have an alternative. Newspapers we would throw out anyway. We have the room, so we can save them.

I agreed.
When the famous covid TP-panic hit, DW went on a rampage and stocked 1/4th of the trailer with it.
We are still trying to 'wipe' it out. :D
Pretty sure she hasn't bought any in 3 years. :rolleyes:

When my grandparents moved they had pallets of goods stored in the attic. Grandaddy had built it to handle a huge load and they filled every crack and crevasse. They could have easily stocked a couple grocery stores for a few weeks. They went through the great depression and never forgot.

I know I sound like a broken record, but we should have the plants & seeds on hand, we can make things easier than if you are not prepped.
Food, shelter, fire & meds come from plants & the know how to use the plants.
The slacker you knew in school, knows more than the smart people knew 5000 years ago.
But knowing is not enough, we need to get these thing now, so we can use them when we need them.

all stocks of food are finite when the stores are empty, stored food is only a back up when its too unsafe to go outdoors, or when you are waiting for your crops to grow or you cant get fresh, at some point all the stocks of stored food will be used up, that time will show which are the survivors and which arent.

I read all these posts and I started thinking of the great dust bowl, how long did it take before people started moving?

If I was given a "real" warning that I only had 1 day to stock up for the end of days I think it would be a mad rush from sun up till midnight and then hunker down. Every corner of the house would look like a WWII submarine going out on patrol.

But I know we will not be given any warning, even the elite folks in government will be caught flat footed. So I prep based on a 2 year rotation, use what I store and store what I use, and replenish weekly....

" eat what you store, store what you eat" and " rotate, rotate, rotate "
at some point you will need some way to replenish your stores when the shops are empty.
once the collapse comes no supermarket or shop will be resupplied...ever.

" eat what you store, store what you eat" and " rotate, rotate, rotate "
at some point you will need some way to replenish your stores when the shops are empty.
once the collapse comes no supermarket or shop will be resupplied...ever.
They call that a garden.... and livestock.... seeds and seed collection skills, animal husbandry, food preparation and canning. Those are skills that must be practiced to survive...

But the thread was " What if the last time you went to the store was the LAST TIME FOREVER? " which is asking for opinions about priorities when going to the store for the last time...

My priorities would be tools, seeds, stable foods, fuels, paper goods, building supplies, and feed. But, that's just my opinion, and you know opinions are like a-

I've got got all the tools I will ever need.
store seeds here are no good, they are all hybrid aka F1 , I have Heritage seeds.
building supplies are a different store to those I get food supplies in.
fuel I'm not interested in, I'm bugging in and wont be going far post collapse.

They call that a garden.... and livestock.... seeds and seed collection skills, animal husbandry, food preparation and canning. Those are skills that must be practiced to survive...

But the thread was " What if the last time you went to the store was the LAST TIME FOREVER? " which is asking for opinions about priorities when going to the store for the last time...

My priorities would be tools, seeds, stable foods, fuels, paper goods, building supplies, and feed. But, that's just my opinion, and you know opinions are like a-
Actually my original point was for people to think about things they don't / wont have if suddenly they can NOT make another store trip again for whatever reason. You know to make them think next time they go to the store to stock up on odd and ends that may make a huge difference. That's why I worded the title the way I did. Not what would you buy if you knew this was your last chance to go to the store forever.

Actually my original point was for people to think about things they don't / wont have if suddenly they can NOT make another store trip again for whatever reason. You know to make them think next time they go to the store to stock up on odd and ends that may make a huge difference. That's why I worded the title the way I did. Not what would you buy if you knew this was your last chance to go to the store forever.
Thanks for the correction and point taken.

I think knowing you had missed your chance would make stop and take store of what you have and what you need.

Thanks for the correction and point taken.

I think knowing you had missed your chance would make stop and take store of what you have and what you need.
We did one a few years ago called LML = Last Minute List just for such an occasion as knowing today, tomorrow, next week might be your last store trip. A private forum of less than 30 members came up with an encyclopedia sized list of must have items.

If one is to look at how much stuff the settlers could put in a covered wagon and or what the requirements for a gold miner to have, it would show that we don't need so darn much stuff.

I read all these posts and I started thinking of the great dust bowl, how long did it take before people started moving?

If I was given a "real" warning that I only had 1 day to stock up for the end of days I think it would be a mad rush from sun up till midnight and then hunker down. Every corner of the house would look like a WWII submarine going out on patrol.

But I know we will not be given any warning, even the elite folks in government will be caught flat footed. So I prep based on a 2 year rotation, use what I store and store what I use, and replenish weekly....
And you not only know how to grow some food but are set up doing so.
If one is to look at how much stuff the settlers could put in a covered wagon and or what the requirements for a gold miner to have, it would show that we don't need so darn much stuff.
I've thought of this often. While teaching in OR, their 5th grade area of study is the OR trail. One of the exercises is a scenario: family of 4, what do you pack to get across the planes and get settled at the other end. You have 1 Conestoga wagon and I think the option of oxen, horses, or mules. Makes one think.

I've thought of this often. While teaching in OR, their 5th grade area of study is the OR trail. One of the exercises is a scenario: family of 4, what do you pack to get across the planes and get settled at the other end. You have 1 Conestoga wagon and I think the option of oxen, horses, or mules. Makes one think.
The choice of animal power is a big one right there, and That would require a week of stud in it self.

All very interesting comments and food for thought. People started out with a lot less, in reference to the dust bowl comment (which I've been studying the last few weeks) and made do with less. I'm trying to do that more, and its been an interesting experiment. If we only had a day to stock up (which as stocked as we are, I would still have to do) by going to the store I don't think could do it- the pandemonium would be terrible.

I am very fortunate in the fact I don't go to the store very often and if the SHTF today I would be okay without going. Are there things I'll miss absolutly and are there things I still need certainly. I managed to raise two daughters on less than $1,000 a month (I'm disabled MS) so you can bet your last dollar I've learned how to make do with what I have, can make or scrounge from junk. I was also a cub scout and boy scout Be prepared was our motto and I took it to heart then and still do to this day! The best advice I ever got.

A lot of folks have a hard time determining what is a want versus an actual need. Need can be nebulous too. Take my spinning wheels and looms and the fiber used for both. They could go either way. They are currently an enjoyment for me; a want. In the future, depending upon the circumstances, they may very well be a need; clothing and yardage.

Constantly war gaming situations and trials help us to differentiate between the two.

@Tommyice thats true, if it were left in the hands of others. I would hope that anyone in charge would see any skill, especially spinning and basket making to be beneficial.
It does raise a thought though - and I don't wish to be mean to any of the gents here, its not my intention - I wonder if, outside this group, would female orientated skills like knitting or spinning be seen as irrelevant as opposed to blacksmithing or woodworking?

@Tommyice thats true, if it were left in the hands of others. I would hope that anyone in charge would see any skill, especially spinning and basket making to be beneficial.
It does raise a thought though - and I don't wish to be mean to any of the gents here, its not my intention - I wonder if, outside this group, would female orientated skills like knitting or spinning be seen as irrelevant as opposed to blacksmithing or woodworking?
I think that within a year or two clothing and domestic skills would be of prime value. I think people's core values would change drastically during the time period from 1 minute after to 5 years in....

Maybe n

Maybe not so much right away after an event. But given time, maybe even more important

the problem with this is the question of why you would only have one more store trip. I know I will probably annoy some people here saying this again, but devil is in the details. If we were about to get nuked by Russia, I would not go to the store at all for example, no point. If hyperinflation happened ( money losing its value at a extreme rate) , I would go buy everything I could fit in the yukon, and the truck with the trailer attached that doesn't go bad , including any hay bales left anywhere that were not horrible. I would max out every credit card I have also and I would try to get foreign currency at the bank if that was still possible ( I have some Euros)
If a real pandemic happened ( like the Stand type thing), I would not go anywhere. If enough people die, there will be plenty of food left for the remaining people to eat, you would just have to go look for it. I would not expose us to the disease
So yeah, it totally depends on the situation

A lot of folks have a hard time determining what is a want versus an actual need. Need can be nebulous too. Take my spinning wheels and looms and the fiber used for both. They could go either way. They are currently an enjoyment for me; a want. In the future, depending upon the circumstances, they may very well be a need; clothing and yardage.

Constantly war gaming situations and trials help us to differentiate between the two.

I believe those skills would be top priority.The long term thinking single man would try to get a highly skilled woman to join his household and him.I know some would think that sounds to mechanical and not enough romantical...and it might be..but ..its way it was or often was for 1000's of years.

In a SHTF its better to be alive and living higher on the hog that off in gutter somewhere..not protecting each other daily.Lets face it...weaving,spinning and looming is protecting! I know many think guns,knives etc. from men and also females..but those skills protects by covering those around them in form of blankets at night and clothes and clothing repair etc.

Theres a archo site on west side of south america where two villages were at.One was nicer than the other and was around at same time period.The only difference they found was one grew cotton and turned it into nice fishing nets.The other village fish nets were from natural fibers from forests.That cotton gill net was softer and caught more fish and worked better than the more crude nets made from other fiber is what the archo guys aid.

Navajo jumped right on sheep once they had contact with spanish and they used wool for their famous blankets..skills they used to better their survival in form of fiber and meat.By the time we pressed westward they were sheep keepers for several hundred years.

Latest posts

Back