What is “rich”?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
One time someone told me I was going to be poor for at least a long while. But I disagreed. I thought I was the richer out of the situation.
I’ll explain later.

But in your thoughts, not what society or others tell you, What is Rich?

Rich is living your dream.
Rich is living your life, not someone else's vision of what your life should entail.
Rich is getting old and being proud of the way you have lived your life.
Speaking only for me, rich is living a daring and dangerous life of incredible adventure.
Rich is having an empty box, labeled "Things I want to do before I die".
Rich is people wanting you to write a book about your life.
Rich is being old, with a safe deposit box full of priceless and cherished memories.

It depends on the situation. Compared to billionaires most of us are poor. Compared to the majority of the world’s population we are incredibly wealthy. Now, I have a low fixed income but a roof over my head, my problems are first world problems, I have a wife, kids and grandkids that love me, food on my table, clothes to wear, I live in a safe community in a relatively free country, I have my faith. I am a wealthy man indeed

Rich is never having to say' your sorry'. Oh wait thats love.:oops: And IMO thats a lie,its the opposite of never having to say your sorry. Always ask for forgiveness if its due.
So I guess rich is a peaceful frame of mind.

I agree with all the above.

Hollyhoods got it all wrong ' again '.

Are talking about rich versus poor in terms of money? Or what you have in life that cannot be purchased with money? I am going to address rich with money, but I realize that money isn't the only way to be rich.

If you had lots of money, so much money that you didn't have to work and could own really nice cars and live in larger homes, you wouldn't call yourself rich. You would call yourself wealthy. A wealthy man, the father of two former students schooled me about these terms. He had Porsche's, lived in a very large 3 story home with maid's quarters (not his wife), and multiple lots. He definitely had room for a swimming pool, but did not have one.

Is it okay that I address your question in terms of the word wealth? I realize you are probably not talking about money.

In my opinion, based on conversations with my family who have owned and lived off the land, wealth means owning land and property. It can be homes or land. No one who lives on the streets has wealth. No one who is a renter their whole life is wealthy. When you have wealth, you also have some power and some control over your life that others may not have. Owning property can give you power.

Depending upon your interests, you and your family might have a good education--medical, legal, MBA, engineering. You might have had a private school education growing up, but the part of being wealthy can and often does end when you are on your own as an adult.

You might be someone who has good self-discipline to keep moving forward with the accumulation of wealth, instead of finding ways to spend your money. This might be through investments, running some sort of business or businesses. Poor people have many wants that they will spend their money on soon after it comes to them, whether it is a necessity or not.

In my mind there is a difference between being rich and being wealthy.
Rich is having those things in your life that you need and love with the love part being the most important to rich.
It might be nice to be wealthy and rich but wealth is not necessary.

I'm rich cuz when I stopped by my son's house this week and my 5 year old grandson saw me, he shouted "Grandma!" and ran to me with a big happy hug. I don't feel like we hang out as much as I wish we could or would. When I went to leave he shook my hand and said, "It was nice to meet you."
:LOL:

Rich.

Have money, no, not much.
Wealthy. Not by any means.
But I'm working on that part too.
Faith in better things to come for all of us.

I worked for a company that gave us stock options. They were taking the stock public and we all stood to make a lot of money. In my case several million dollars. The main investor got greedy and wanted the IPO to be more so he postponed it. Company went broke and none of us made a dime. So I guess I was rich on paper for a short time.
Now not so much.
As I get older I'm finding money isn't as important as non material things. Family, time, happiness, and your health.
I don't mean to say money isn't important, it is. But there are things money can't buy and those things are more important to me.

Everybody seems to have the same Idea, being rich or wealthy depends on your point of view, it's relative. It's sort of like being Strong, I used to be very Strong but now not so much, but I've never been as Strong as an Elephant. Strength, being Rich/Wealthy is all relative, depends on your point of view.

Rich is living your dream.
Rich is living your life, not someone else's vision of what your life should entail.
Rich is getting old and being proud of the way you have lived your life.
Speaking only for me, rich is living a daring and dangerous life of incredible adventure.
Rich is having an empty box, labeled "Things I want to do before I die".
Rich is people wanting you to write a book about your life.
Rich is being old, with a safe deposit box full of priceless and cherished memories.

Amen! Well said, in my opinion!
Fro me, I will add "having loved and been loved and being content at the end"! I believe that an amazing, adventurous life is so much better than society's "rich"!

Being "money" rich, is always one step above the level of wealth that I have.

I think that's why rich people are never satisfied.

15 years ago, if you told me I'd be making almost 70k a year, I would have said, that would be amazing! I was making $15/hour then...now I'm getting real close to that 70k mark, but it's really not that much different. I still live the same. I pay almost 900 a month in child support but I can still put 4 months of living expenses in the bank. I still have to borrow to buy a car, but now I can make a better down payment to make the loan half as long as it was back then. That feels pretty rich to me. Satisfied? No. Pleased? Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with striving for more, so long as it's not the #1 focus in life...

I think it helps to remember that any wealth we have, could be gone tomorrow. It keeps us humble. And when you're able to be humble, that's a form of wealth all on its own.

Money to me is not wealth.
A lot of wealthy people are just as unhappy as poor people.
Do I have a lot of money?
No I do not.
I would like to have enough money to be comfortable.
But as several others have said:
I have a roof over my head, food in my stomach, relatively good health.
Working on getting healthier.
Would like to have enough money to pay for my funeral, to start a college fund for my grand children.
Will it happen, I doubt it.
But working on paying for my funeral now. Payment plans are wonderful.
My granddaughter is my wealth.
The chance to hear her laugh, cry, giggle, pout or at least try to throw a ball.
Watching her try to jump, skip, play in puddles and this Granny is right there beside her.
That makes us both "RICH" at least in my eyes.
Watching a child look at world in wonderment, a child that loves to cuddle, gives hugs and kisses to me that is wealth.
All of these words and thoughts are just definition of Richness, Wealth.

Very interesting thread.
First I'll say I'm proud of all my very independent kids who I made strong so I take some of the credit.
Only 2 of my 13 grand kids are addicts and the rest are self supporting independents also in todays society that is good odds.

I'm rich.

In 1989 God made a miracle happen and I walked away from this with only a few cuts.

I'd be a 30-year-old skeleton in a box somewhere today if he hadn't.

I walked away from that truck a brand-new man and every single day since is a "free bonus":).

24267_2_r.JPG

24267.JPG

Have a good day.
I will:D.

I'm rich.

In 1989 God made a miracle happen and I walked away from this with only a few cuts.

I'd be a 30-year-old skeleton in a box somewhere today if he hadn't.

I walked away from that truck a brand-new man and every single day since is a "free bonus":).

View attachment 22734

View attachment 22733
Have a good day.
I will:D.

Oh my!! You did get a miracle, so glad for you SuperV.:huggs:

Wow, Superv.
That was a miracle
Why'd you hit the semi?
It was in really dense fog, the trailer had no DOT tape on it, and it looked just like more fog when he stretched it across both lanes of my side of the 4-lane.
By the time I saw it, there was nowhere to go.
If you watch the video, you can see the cops with tape-measures measuring the skid-marks.
They calculated that I had held the brakes locked until 1/4th of a second before impact.:eyeballs:
They were going crazy because they couldn't find the 'body' in itgaah.

It is good to see that you received a miracle that day. I bet you are appreciating everyday since then.

One of the reasons I asked the question is that my lawyer told me I was going to be poor on the day of my divorce completed. She had seen the numbers and saw what had been happening and was pretty darn sure I’d not get the maintenance / child support.

I looked at her and said I might be fiscally challenged, but I got the girls so I’m very rich.
(Two states said ex should never see the girls alone in their lifetime, so I received sole custody. But. I was able to keep the girls safe and I knew I would not have money, but I would have peace of mind. He was negligent, not abusive.
We were approaching money / thing rich, but paid for it with no peace of mine etc.

So, rich for me. Someone that thinks you are more important than business all the time. That when the children want a hug as you leave home, hug them for they are the riches. Care about the people in your life and it is so rich to people care about you.

Opposite = being poor is a dead spirit, a love of the chase of money as an end all, and not as a tool. I think money is a fine tool but it’s not worth giving up your soul to have it.

I hope I’ve made some sense.

So, rich for me. Someone that thinks you are more important than business all the time. That when the children want a hug as you leave home, hug them for they are the riches. Care about the people in your life and it is so rich to people care about you.

Opposite = being poor is a dead spirit, a love of the chase of money as an end all, and not as a tool. I think money is a fine tool but it’s not worth giving up your soul to have it.

I hope I’ve made some sense.
Yep. I got a chance to hobnob with some wealthy people. They aren't as happy as you think.
One of them put it in perspective for me. He said: "suppose you have work done on the engine in your truck and get a $300 bill; you stress out about paying it. I had work done on the engine in my yacht and have a bill for $30,000 and stress out about paying it. It's the same thing. We're both miserable".
Money doesn't buy happiness.

Latest posts

Back