WHAT IS BAG LADY SYNDROME?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
interesting talk about getting older..i bet its more than just women..i know men like this as well.

Interesting........I would love to have a face to face discussion with her. But I doubt she is very open minded. She is funny to watch.

@Sourdough she is very interesting lady. when she lived in crowded California she would go out 'foraging' maybe i should use term 'urban foraging'? you would not believe what she would find for free or barter or trade for from other folks. the wild goods was incredible with all the fruit trees in the area along roadways,parks,ditches,bike paths and railways and more.

She might enjoy spending a week or two with me. She would leave with a expanded grasp of what old people can physically do, if their living conditions demand "Get'R-done" or die. Not just me, it is very common in Alaska, old women living the rugged hard life alone in wilderness Alaska.

About 16 years go my dear sweet neighbor Mary Taylor, was 84 y/o when she hiked over to my place, and asked to borrow some traps, as two "martens" had moved into her garage. I gave her three long spring traps, and asked if she wanted me to come over and "set" them, or could she do that. To my genuine surprise, without a word, she dropped two traps, gripped the springs of the third trap, slammed it on her knee, and in a flash had the pan up and the trap "set", I could not believe how fast she did that. And with a smile, she reached under and tripped the pan, slamming the trap shut. She died when she turned 99 y/o. She was a true Alaskan pioneer "Lady".

Last edited:
She might enjoy spending a week or two with me. She would leave with a expanded grasp of what old people can physically do, if their living conditions demand "Get'R-done" or die.

go back and scan through her vids. she sure seems pretty dang tough physically and mentally. she sets her mind to projects and does them. she redone her old kitchen in moms old home before selling it for just a few hundred dollars and it looked fantastic. i think she spent $200 on it.shes hard headed too...lol....she refuses to hook up to gas for her kitchen stove because they want a few hundred deposit first....lol...she waiting them out currently...and its been awhile.

I use to forage when I lived in the San Fernando Valley before I met K. I use to go for walks with my hydration pack and a folding shopping bag. I'd come home with all kinds of wild grown herbs and edibles growing in empty lots and side of the road. Chamomile was the one that seemed to grow the best and I had tons of it for tea.

Bag lady syndrome? No, not for me. I have been conquering this common syndrome for nearly fifty years.

One big help was something that I tore out of a magazine in the early 1970s. It was an advertisement for a handpainted porcelain figurine that I wanted. I stuck it on the refrigerator door: an image of a whimsical-looking frog dressed up as a bag lady.

I couldn't afford to buy it, but I appreciated the value of its message to me. No matter how difficult things may seem (even if I should ever become homeless like "Tillie the Frog"), I will still find enough reasons to smile, even if I have to dig deep to find them.

Jessica De Stafani, the talented artist who created the figurine explained in the advertisement, "Tillie is the eternal optimist, knowing the best things in life are sometimes free: a friendly Hello, the warmth of the sun, or a simple bouquet of flowers."

For many years, this scrap of paper with Tillie's image hung on my refrigerator door (and later, the wall). Before that, during really hard times when there was no refrigerator door or wall of my own to hang it, she went into a see-through ziploc bag. (Yes, I was homeless.)

This simple little frog taught me an important survival trait: ATTITUDE can make or break me. Like the old saying goes, it isn't your position in life that makes you happy or unhappy (or secure or insecure), it is your disposition. If I am pushed far outside of my comfort zone, a positive attitude can help me to weather hard times much better!

Meet Tille the Frog, and you'll see what I'm talking about. I learned first-hand how true it all is...even when I was homeless, like this "bag-lady."

Tillie the Frog.jpg

I've watched prepper princess for awhile. The one she did calling out her stalker was pretty good. I know she moved out of California, but I don't know why she chose to live in a housing development in Arizona. It's good she has no debt.

I had to go see what that was about, and wow...this lady, who makes a point of teaching in her videos, is doing a disservice to women with that doxxing/stalker video. I hope that women who are not street-smart are not encouraged to do the same as she is doing if they are ever in her situation.

I can tell that she has never run across truly dangerous people before or she would not be publicly 'poking the bear' like this. It's one thing to be confident in your abilities, but to call out an obviously mentally deranged person in public like this is not smart. (Even her followers and commenters noted the same.)

This obsessed man doxxed her, and so in retaliation, she goes online taunting and mocking him relentlessly... And then said repeatedly, if anything ever happens to her, that he would be the culprit.

Wow, that kind of provocative video will attract the kind of vermin that she didn't bargain for. And her attitude: "Look at me! I've got a GUN!" is foolish. Who is she kidding? She might be a 'prepper' but she does not have the best 'street smarts,' and has apparently never had dealings with criminal stalkers, or even organized gang stalkers who love to terrorize (and worse) just because they can.

There are too many rather clueless women who have no idea just how common criminal stalkers are these days. You will not hear it broadcasted in the news because many victims suffer silently because they learned the hard way that for the most part, the cops are not usually much help. Calling these idiots out the way she did solves nothing, and only further enrages them.

Yes, the wrong people will eventually see her inflammatory video and may pay her a visit someday. Home invaders don't usually act alone, lol. WTH is she thinking? Or is she thinking this through at all? Geeze. Sorry, but that video is a huge FAIL in the survivalist sense of the word.

I am pretty sure that she posted her video to convey to her stalker that she is not afraid of him (there are better ways to do that), but in the end, she looks like she is not only waving a red flag but slapping the flag in the face of a crazy, demented bull.

Cringeworthy, yes.

Last edited:
It's amazing to me that there are so many people that have never met a truly bad person. They don't even think that truly bad people exist. Reminds me of an old Richard Pryor bit that had me rolling.

When I was 20 and nearly homeless in Boston ( I was renting a room for $24 per week) and parking cars in the combat zone, I got to know quite a few homeless people. Everyone else seemed to ignore them. One of them was the happiest person I have ever met. Never asked for money. Another was the toughest survivalist I ever met. Didn't even think about going to a shelter during the blizzard of '78. I've had a fascination with the homeless ever since. I'm not saying that being a homeless person in a big city is on my bucket list but I know that I would be a really good one. Which pretty much makes me fearless in a way.

Latest posts

Back