What is that big prep item that you've held off getting?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hand pump for well just in case. We have solar but as all here know, EMP or other devious weapons can make all but a hand pump useless.

Us too Solar,we had one put in 20 yr ago. We could pee fsster than that thing so I told them to taake it back out,they were upset,but no way will we pump that hard for nothing but a drizzle. Maybe a siffling hose since ours isn't deep here in Florida.Florida is just one big swamp.

Well Aerindel, it depends on the type of EMP.
A solar emp affects long wires and generally the ones running north to south (or south to north) more than those that run east west. even if your electronics are plugged in and in use it is likely that the emp will take the grid down at the high voltage side and dissipate before it gets to the transformers at the street level. No harm to personal electronics.

If we talk about the high altitude nuclear emp then your electronics will be fried in the first half nanosecond after the burst and it won't matter if you are plugged in, unplugged or the individual chips are sitting on a shelf in those 'static bags' in a warehouse. As a matter of fact that first E1 pulse is likely going to destroy any semiconductor junction it encounters. There is a chance that very high power semiconductors might survive but it is about a 50/50 deal. That means an equal chance of failure or survival and mostly means nobody knows for sure. There is no way to artificially build an ionic pulse to 50,000 volts at the speed of the E1 pulse. Speed matters because cascade failures are related to rise time and voltage. The pulse builds in 0.0000000002 seconds to maximum and decays completely in 0.001 second.

f we talk about the high altitude nuclear emp then your electronics will be fried in the first half nanosecond after the burst and it won't matter if you are plugged in, unplugged or the individual chips are sitting on a shelf in those 'static bags' in a warehouse.

There is no evidence for this unless something new has come out very recently (that I am aware of) every scientific report on EMP effects has discounted the effect on short run electronics.

This of course does not mean they are right, but, since I cannot test this myself I have no choice but to side with the experts.

Last edited:
Hand pump for well just in case. We have solar but as all here know, EMP or other devious weapons can make all but a hand pump useless.

The old homestead now has electricity and an electric well pump. The old hand pump is in one of the out cabins. It looks intact and the gaskets look good, so it might work. Just in case, I got a Lehman's Own Galvanized Well Bucket. Used it and it works great. Two gallons at a time. I think the effort from a well bucket might be a bit less than a deep well pump. But I am ready either way!

Aerindel,
Starfish prime. Do a search and read all you can about it. It was detonated on July 9, 1962. 900 miles away Hawaii suffered problems due to the E2 and E3 pulses. The hardened vacuum tube electronics that were closer, to record data, failed immediately upon the blast. transister circuits are much more prone to failure than the old tube type electronics. If you are interested in the truth read up on it, if not that's fine.

My goal involves a number of items.

I need batteries and copper to run an upgraded mill lathe post TEOTWAWKI.

GNXT_1340_1024x1024@2x.png

I own an older one but the new ones have nice features. It can be belt driven with right pulleys and line shaft from a 2hp steam engine I own ...

s776228384886231167_p6_i1_w500.jpeg

But I need to make a regulator and acquire a boiler that can burn coal from a seam I have.

Once set up I should be able to run a big generator I have if it was a non-EMP event or build more steam engines from casting sets I have on the shelf

Yeah rather ambitious but I my goals high and are happy with what I get in the end.

Ben

Aerindel,
Starfish prime. Do a search and read all you can about it. It was detonated on July 9, 1962. 900 miles away Hawaii suffered problems due to the E2 and E3 pulses. The hardened vacuum tube electronics that were closer, to record data, failed immediately upon the blast. transister circuits are much more prone to failure than the old tube type electronics. If you are interested in the truth read up on it, if not that's fine.
I am extremely interested. I have been for decades. I actually read the entire EMP commission report, not just the summaries.

Bottom line, from what I read, is still that EMPs are not a threat to electronics, only the grid.

The latest document states:
January 21, 2019.

According the EMP Commission Chief of Staff, Dr. Peter Vincent Pry:

The military doctrines of Russia, China, Iran and North Korea view nuclear EMP attack as the ultimate “cyber-weapon” that can deliver the decisive blow on the battlefield or against entire nations or alliances. For example, a single EMP attack on European NATO could destroy electronic systems crucial to military operations and black-out electric grids and other life-sustaining critical infrastructures (communications, transportation, industry and manufacturing, business and finance, food and water) crucial to national survival.

Read the entire contents HERE. There are still a number of reports that are classified but these are the last reports released in 2019. Some of these reports deal with only the E3 pulse. The ones that cover the electronics deal with the E1 pulse.
The reports are choppy and separate the different effects so it can be a tedious read.

id like to get a small wind generator. ive got some 100W solar panels and some battery/generator things, 350W and 500W to recharge small things, my home has 10 solar panels grid tie but id really like to get a back up battery bank and a wind generator.

i actually read some liberal fruitcake say that people who are off grid are selfish and not paying their fair share and should still have to pay energy fees. honestly i dont knoiw how these people tie their shoes let alone drive, work or procreate.

but i still would like to be off grid. im kinda thinking that will happen one day anyway, lol

i actually read some liberal fruitcake say that people who are off grid are selfish and not paying their fair share and should still have to pay energy fees. honestly i dont knoiw how these people tie their shoes let alone drive, work or procreate.

but i still would like to be off grid. im kinda thinking that will happen one day anyway, lol
By that logic farmers should pay for the sun light their crops use. While are into that twisted thought, if one has a lawn that uses sun light.

Dilemma time

If my forest uses sun light but removes CO2 from the atmosphere... do I have to pay or get paid for my carbon credits?

Ben

My goal involves a number of items.

I need batteries and copper to run an upgraded mill lathe post TEOTWAWKI.

View attachment 62259

I own an older one but the new ones have nice features. It can be belt driven with right pulleys and line shaft from a 2hp steam engine I own ...

View attachment 62261

But I need to make a regulator and acquire a boiler that can burn coal from a seam I have.

Once set up I should be able to run a big generator I have if it was a non-EMP event or build more steam engines from casting sets I have on the shelf

Yeah rather ambitious but I my goals high and are happy with what I get in the end.

Ben
So at first, I thought why do you need a lathe after TEOTWAWKI? Then it hit me (pun) to make baseball bats to whack the zombies with 😂

id like to get a small wind generator. ive got some 100W solar panels and some battery/generator things, 350W and 500W to recharge small things, my home has 10 solar panels grid tie but id really like to get a back up battery bank and a wind generator.
Making progress. The good news is most systems are sacaleable. This means you can add bits and pieces as time permits.
I started small, (low-buck pieces wired in as I could get them.
Capability gradually grew over time.
When SHTF in 2011, it shined bigtime for days!
House lights, phone, Satelite-TV, internet, refrigerator, freezer. All good.
You'll get there.

Last edited:
Do you mean a wind mill, Jazzy?

well its called a wind turbine generator. there are differetn sizes, id love a large one but i think i can only afford a smaller one. it can run day or night and recharge a small battery bank im working on. not enought to run the house, if the grid dies ill be canning freezer stuff as fast as possible. but its adding another layer of help.

old billy gates might come back again with his buddies and their plan to fill the skys with chalk to dim the sun to stop their global warming---my solar panels wnt be worth as much, but heck i figure the winds gonna blow til the last day, right?

1619760251898.png

well its called a wind turbine generator. there are differetn sizes, id love a large one but i think i can only afford a smaller one. it can run day or night and recharge a small battery bank im working on. not enought to run the house, if the grid dies ill be canning freezer stuff as fast as possible. but its adding another layer of help.

old billy gates might come back again with his buddies and their plan to fill the skys with chalk to dim the sun to stop their global warming---my solar panels wnt be worth as much, but heck i figure the winds gonna blow til the last day, right?

View attachment 65029

That's interesting. Do you have a link?

That's interesting. Do you have a link?

i tried posting a link but must have screwed up cause it didnt show. it is on amazon---here is the title. ill try a lionk again at the bottom.

Pikasola Wind Turbine Generator 12V 400W with a 30A Hybrid Charge Controller

LINK

i figure the winds gonna blow til the last day, right?

Not where I live....unfortunately wind is even worse than solar here. One 'downside' of my location. Its sheltered from the elements....which means little wind or sun.

it would have been a tractor but not sure if we need one now,Whos going to harvest the crops?I'd like to have a donkey and buckboard,a mule is too hard to feed too much horse in him,but a donk can live off vey little.If times were different we'd like a mule.
We bought his place to raise guard donks and organic veggies but we started too late in life considering we had to do clearing,put in well,power and septic.Nobody had lived here since the 50s.

You need a lathe to make the parts you can’t get. You also need a good scrap pile for raw material to make parts out of.

We ordered and received the hand pump for our well. We have several thousand gallons of water storage, but more is better. I want to set up some rain collection tanks on the house. Rain is scarce here, but some is better than none.

I need laborers. Garden, greenhouse, fence, pump, solar power install. Shame nobody wants to work these days.

Not where I live....unfortunately wind is even worse than solar here. One 'downside' of my location. Its sheltered from the elements....which means little wind or sun.
We've got enough wind here to run a dozen of those things ;) I'll lend ya some.

We get wind storms like crazy. We are surrounded by crop land, and some of the farmers really don't have much windbreak, except around the roads. We have alot of trees on our property, and that helps. But there's about 100 acres across the road from us with no windbreaks.

Back