What is the absolutely easiest way to make dumplings

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Is there a difference between dumplings and a motizza ball...(likely misspelled, it is a Jewish thing)"""

What I am looking for is roughly how long do they cook. When do you put them in the stew. I will never be making "scratch" dumplings. Will be some premix.

Love chicken and dumplings

Cook your chicken in your pot
Make dumplings. 2 cup bisquick biscuit mix 2/3 cup milk
(Add any seasoning you wish)
Make biscuits and place then in the water,
Bring heat to low boil cook 10 minutes uncovered then 10 minutes covered

We like big thick dumplings some like thin

Do not remove the lid during the ten minute s !!!!!!!!!!

We have a few dumpling snatchers around here, and we make a big pot with a whole deboned yard bird
If You find that all your dumplings are gone but you still have a big pot of chicken and stew. Put the pot back on the stove and make more dumplings

The wife uses pancake mix and milk, she just mixes it together until you have the consistency of biscuit mix, spoon onto the top of your stew, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, DO NOT remove the lid during that 20 minutes.

Her dumplings are nice and large and fluffy. I break them open a bit on my plate, add a dab of butter, salt and pepper to taste.

Yummy.

EDIT: I should add that the dumplings will have an ever so faint sweetness to them which compliment the chicken and veggies.

There are 2 kinds of chicken and dumplings cooked here in the south. Rolled dumplings and dropped dumplings. Dropped dumplings come from up north and are quicker/easier to make than southern rolled dumplings.

The show "Good Eats" covers both. Look for videos of Season 13, Episode 18. Show title "Don't Be Chicken Of Dumplings" - Host Alton Brown takes on the classic American soup that divides the country, and his family.

also... AB's dropped recipe

Chicken and Dropped Dumplings Recipe | Alton Brown Dropped dumpling recipe.

Last edited:
I think so, why do you want tough dumplings?
they're chewy and don't turn to goop when you re heat them. ever have fried dumplings in chicken fat? crispy outside, chewy inside. or if you slow fry them, fluffy like pastry.
The recipe is easy:
Mix i cup of shredded chicken to ever 2 cups of batter.
1/4 cup of shredded carrots.
1/4 cup of shredded celery.
Fry in chicken fat.

Check out Kent Rollins on Youtube. He has a lot of great recipes, is fun to watch and he did a good video on dumplings.

Many different cultures have their own variety of dumpling. I am assuming that you are talking about chicken and dumplings? Do you have the ability to watch YouTube? Watching a few videos there can be really helpful.
I grew up with dumplings with cooked in chicken stew with dumplings made very similarly to biscuits that you bake in the oven, but dropped into the pot of the chicken stew, covered for 10 minutes with the lid on the whole time. No peaking! I have read about using the biscuits that are premade that you find in the tube in the stores. I think I did that once, many years ago.

In my family, growing up, we had chicken and dumplings once in a while, but more often, we had potato dumplings. They are 20 minutes, give or take on how large or small they are. They are served with some kind of pork and kraut.

Recently, I bought some frozen wonton at Trader Joe's and cooked them in chicken broth for homemade wonton soup. Wonton are one of a variety of Chinese dumplings. Decades ago I used to make my own wonton from scratch, but not having the mess associated with making them makes me glad that I can buy them frozen. Heat up the broth, and you can add scallions and a few other things to develop your soup. Once the broth is cooking, boiling, the wonton are added and depending upon the size, can be ready to eat in a couple of minutes. The ones I had this past weekend were small and the package said ready in two minutes when added to boiling broth.

Last edited:
Anne's Old Fashioned flat dumplings are usually in most grocery stores in the freezer section. We use them when making Hard Crab Stew which is a local recipe to the area my wife grew up. I had never heard of it until meeting her and it was instant love! The dumplings are good for Chicken and Dumplings and can be used in many other ways.

There are 2 kinds of chicken and dumplings cooked here in the south. Rolled dumplings and dropped dumplings. Dropped dumplings come from up north and are quicker/easier to make than southern rolled dumplings.

I do not roll out my dough, I add a little flour and form a ball, then tear off pieces roll them in a ball, flatten the ball and drop in the pan

The show "Good Eats" covers both. Look for videos of Season 13, Episode 18. Show title "Don't Be Chicken Of Dumplings" - Host Alton Brown takes on the classic American soup that divides the country, and his family.

also... AB's dropped recipe

Chicken and Dropped Dumplings Recipe | Alton Brown Dropped dumpling recipe.

On topic:

What is the absolutely easiest way to make dumplings​

One of my mottos has always been: "If you want to know the easiest way to do something, ask the laziest person".
Fortunately, y'all have a good one here 😁.

Answer: Whack a couple cans of the cheapest canned biscuits on the counter and spread them out on the surface of that chicken stew that would be totally boring in the big pot.
Leave the lid on and simmer for 30 minutes.:thumbs:

Last edited:
On topic:

One of my mottos has always been: "If you want to know the easiest way to do something, ask the laziest person".

Answer: Whack a couple cans of the cheapest canned biscuits on the counter and spread them out on the surface of that chicken stew that would be totally boring in the big pot.

Those are called whomp’em bicuits
Cause you whomp’em on the counter

On topic:

That's what my mom did!

In my family, growing up, we had chicken and dumplings once in a while, but more often, we had potato dumplings. They are 20 minutes, give or take on how large or small they are. They are served with some kind of pork and kraut.
My mother made those also, and it was the only potato dish I hated. Yuck, slimy things. She also made stuffed ones ( Gefuellte Kloesse) groce! They had a mix of ground meat and liver sausage in them

My mother made those also, and it was the only potato dish I hated. Yuck, slimy things. She also made stuffed ones ( Gefuellte Kloesse) groce! They had a mix of ground meat and liver sausage in them
Ours were not slimy. They were solid, more like a meatball without meat, but even more solid than that.
My father-in-law made a similar dish that was Norwegian, with some meat inside as well. They were called Klubb. Again, no slime, but a solid piece, eaten with butter melted on them. Klubb Recipe - Norwegian Potato Dumplings

Klubb.jpg

Sounds vaguely like my stuffed dumplings I posted about.

Ok made the dumplings
dough: flour , shortening, salt, tiny bit of baking powder milk
I add celery, onions and carrots to my chicken

roll the dough out and cut it into dumplings, I usually use a pizza cutter but couldn't find it....so they don't look as good

drop the dough in the boiling water , a little at a time or they will stick together

cook until they float

Attachments

• IMG_0742.JPG
    IMG_0742.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0743.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0744.JPG
    IMG_0744.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0746.JPG
    IMG_0746.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Is there a difference between dumplings and a motizza ball...(likely misspelled, it is a Jewish thing)"""
Matzah balls are made from crush Matzah bread and eggs. Dumplings are bisquick and milk- no eggs.

Matzah balls are made from crush Matzah bread and eggs. Dumplings are bisquick and milk- no eggs.
Thank you. The one and only time I had a Matzah Ball it was perfectly round, and slightly larger than a beach ball, was in the middle of a bowl of chicken noodle soup. Was on Long Guyland, NY (55 years ago).

Thank you. The one and only time I had a Matzah Ball it was perfectly round, and slightly larger than a beach ball, was in the middle of a bowl of chicken noodle soup. Was on Long Guyland, NY (55 years ago).
When I make it I make balls about the size of a baseball. When properly made they can start out the size of a golfball and cook to softball size. Eggs. They can make or break a meal. I should try matzah ball and rabbit soup after the holidays.

Latest posts

Back