What is this Best By "DATE".......30NOV20XLCO8

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
It is all in the title. Clearly 30'th day of November 20'something

Clearly an effort to be very sneaky about the best by date.

That would likely be 2020...

I must have missed what they are trying to get away with.
It seems pretty clear the best by date is November 30th 2020.

SO.......What is XLCO8

I would assume it has to do with the batch information.

Well I'm pretty sure they don't mean 1920. When I see a 2 digit year I just figure the first 20 is obvious. Like todays date is 3/6/20.
As for the XLCO8 it could be some internal code that they use. It's meaningless to the consumer unless something bad happens the the government will figure out what it means.
Its easy for me; I dont pay any attention to the best by date. If it smells good, and isn't moldy, I'll eat it.
My wife just says here taste this.

Keep activated charcoal on hand my friend! :)

Its easy for me; I dont pay any attention to the best by date. If it smells good, and isn't moldy, I'll eat it.
But would you buy it for full price if you knew the best by date was years ago.

The 20 after NOV
First is the day of the month, then month, then year.
I would guess depending on the manufacturer…you could maybe look it up on their website to find out what the rest of it means, or call or email them. “XLCO8”
Was 17 months ago I was last in any town or store. But when I go I do look at the date, as it might well be years till I get back to Anchorage.

We are receiving a visit from our "Well Educated" son. He is in the kitchen and say OH NO, this Mayo is expired as of 12/2021, I say, that is the best by date and it is usually about a year from the date it was packaged. He is all, "it's expired we need to throw it out", half the food here needs to be thrown out....

What a PIA, to be so well educated and so stupid. We keep all our food stored at about 58F, in the dark year round...

They used to put expiration dates on stuff. Now everything has a best by date that is within a year of it being sold.... I think it is for 2 reasons: 1 they want people to throw out perfectly good food to sell more, and 2) they don't want you to store more food than the government's recommendation of 2 weeks supply.....

I miss C-rations because you knew when the label rusted off it was "expired"

My Nephew did that to his mom.
He went through the refrigerator and pantry and tossed everything past the best by date.
My brother was not happy.
It cost him a bunch to replace all he lost.
Being the only person 5hat uses brown mustard only in small dabs on hamburgers...

My active bottle expired a decade ago or more.

Ben

Mine is somewhere in the future... ;)

I'm trying to write the best by dates with a sharpie, so I don't have to struggle to read the size 2 font.

This is obviously 2023, but what else, besides the fact that it is diced potatoes? Month?
G1RX162D 19:23
4895 POTATO DCD

Latest posts

Back