What languages do you speak?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've worked in several countries in europe and learned a few phrases... get a taxi, find a hotel, basic "how to get around phrases". To be honest... when ordering food at a restaurant... I usually looked around at the other tables until I saw a dish that looked good then pointed at it when my waitress came back. Hey, it worked.

Took 10 years of French - can still simultaneously translate but cannot for the life of me respond except when I am drinking.
Took some Spanish so can make out a little.
Took some German and we grew up in Milwaukee when tons spoke German. I also waitressed years in tradtional German restaurants so I have a very rudimentary understanding of German - but am pretty good with German menus :) and bier!

After spending 43 years in Europe, I have gotten so much German down that I am the only American Driving Instructor to pass the 13 State exams in written, oral and practical driving with motorcycle, car, truck and bus. I learned Serbo-Croatian from my wife who was born in Serbia, Hungarian from her also since it is her mother tongue, some French, Italian and Spanish from driving there, caught the Bavarian and Swiss dialects. The nations here are so small and close together, you just need more than one dialect to get along. They are very proud of their heritage, but love to practice their english on me every chance they can get.

Latest posts

Back