What Preparations do you have for Radiation Protection?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope that I am remote enough that it doesn't effect me. I really expect that the bombs would be high EMP yield devices detonated way up, or neutron type, as has been said why make huge un usable areas, unless you are an alien that thrives in radiation....

When I read about preppers with bomb shelters and all the supplies that might last a year, maybe two, I wonder what they plan to do after that? They won't be able to go outside for 20K years.

Maybe a self sustaining underground city is in the future like seen in The City of Ember. Appealing as it is, I will pass on it.
I wonder if this is the plan for the supposed bunker under DIA that supposedly would hold 50,000 people?

They won't be able to go outside for 20K years.

That’s only for processed nuclear material, like from a reactor or the medical grade stuff that can be used as a ‘dirty bomb’. The radiation produced by an atomic explosion reduces in strength by a factor of 10 every 7 hours so you want to shelter for two weeks (unless another nuclear detonation happens, then you reset your count.

Fallout decays rapidly
7-10 Rule: For every sevenfold increase in time after detonation, there is a tenfold decrease in the radiation rate.
So, after seven hours the radiation rate is only 10% of the original and after 49 hours (7 x 7 = 49) it is 1%.

When I read about preppers with bomb shelters and all the supplies that might last a year, maybe two, I wonder what they plan to do after that? They won't be able to go outside for 20K years.
You are off by about 19,999 years....and 11 months.

Worst case is three weeks. For MOST people, a few days is all that is needed.

My biggest prep in this regard is that I am hundreds of miles away from any target, and with a mountain range between me and them to boot. I'm as far east as you can get to avoid the fallout from the west coast, while being far enough west to avoid the missile fields in Eastern MT.

And of course, I have a fallout suitable shelter. Not built primarily as a fallout shelter, because I view that risk so far down the tree I'm not making a dedicated prep for it, but I have a suitable place with a suitable amount of supplies just in case.

That’s only for processed nuclear material, like from a reactor or the medical grade stuff that can be used as a ‘dirty bomb’. The radiation produced by an atomic explosion reduces in strength by a factor of 10 every 7 hours so you want to shelter for two weeks (unless another nuclear detonation happens, then you reset your count.

Fallout decays rapidly
7-10 Rule: For every sevenfold increase in time after detonation, there is a tenfold decrease in the radiation rate.
So, after seven hours the radiation rate is only 10% of the original and after 49 hours (7 x 7 = 49) it is 1%.
Hmmm! The people of the Bikini Atolls were told they could return home a short time after the test were concluded. That was 78 years ago and the remaining radiation is still to high for habitation by humans.

The folks of the Marshall Islands, 502 miles away, are still today plagued with birth defects and radiation related cancers at a very high rate.

And these were the early bombs that don't compare to the refined warheads of today.

Study the data from the Bikini Atolls from the early nuclear bombs dropped there from 1946-1958.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4042840/

Last edited:
Hiroshima and Nagasaki are both radiation free today and have been for a very long rime. People were returning to their homes three months after the bombs were dropped. The most harmful isotope that comes from a nuclear bomb is Iodine 131, which is absorbed in the thyroid, and has a half life of 8 days. Two weeks after a detonation the radiation would return to a safe level.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki are both radiation free today and have been for a very long rime. People were returning to their homes three months after the bombs were dropped. The most harmful isotope that comes from a nuclear bomb is Iodine 131, which is absorbed in the thyroid, and has a half life of 8 days. Two weeks after a detonation the radiation would return to a safe level.
Yes, but those were very small and low power nuclear bombs. The ones dropped in the latter years of the Bikini Atolls test were 1000 times more powerful. The warheads of today are suspected to be 1000 times more powerful than those.

There is no available data on the radiation life expectancy of todays warheads. That is all top secret and we can only speculate.

I use the Bikini atolls as an example because it is the latest data on radiation and includes the H bomb 1000 times more powerful than either of the small nukes dropped on Japan.

I think it safe to base todays radiation life assumptions at least on the Bikini Atolls.

Nuclear reactors are prime targets for a nuclear war for any enemy desiring maximum long lasting carnage and destruction of an important power source. Such a hit would certainly render the area unhabitual for any of our life times.

I don't fear nuclear war because there are better ways of taking control of a country as we have all witnessed in the last several years.

To answer the OP, I don't have anything for radiation protection.

Last edited:
I think it safe to base todays radiation life assumptions at least on the Bikini Atolls.

It's not. Physics doesn't play politics. But countries do. Bikini atoll was safe weeks afterwards...but there is so much propoganda around atomic bomb tests people will be kept out forever.

Power of bombs has little effect on the actual residual radiation. Its just spread over a larger area. The decay rate is exponential. Even if it WAS a thousand times worse, it only takes days for the radiation to decrease to a thousandth of what it was.

Read your own link, Normal cancer rate for the population was projected to be 10,600....The actual was 10,800......that is an insignificant increase....

And that is just the projected cancers. Real cancers where an extra 170.....170 out of more than 10,000

The science is clear. Your own link shows it. There is no 'very high rate' as you state. It's about 1% higher. 1%......

Last edited:
I hope that I am remote enough that it doesn't effect me. I really expect that the bombs would be high EMP yield devices detonated way up, or neutron type, as has been said why make huge un usable areas, unless you are an alien that thrives in radiation....

Which way do the prevailing winds blow? You may be far enough away from a target, but the wind may blow the fallout in your direction. I like to think I am in a similar situation. I am not in a target area, but the prevailing winds could bring fallout from targets that are West of me.

or neutron type, as has been said why make huge un usable areas, unless you are an alien that thrives in radiation....

Neutron bombs specifically DO NOT contaminate the land. Even less so than conventional bombs.

That is their advantage. Neutron radiation is very deadly but just passes through objects and then is gone. They also cause a much smaller explosion that conventional nuclear bombs, allowing the enemy to 'cleanly' kill a city and leave it relatively undamaged.

All nuclear bombs produce a neutron pulse, but normally that pulse is smaller than the physical destruction area of the bomb so is irrelevant.

There is a type of bomb designed to render area's uninhabitable (temporarily) This is called 'Salted Bomb', as it includes large amounts of sodium isotope and would 'salt the earth'. by make a large area dangerously radioactive for a few years, or powerful enough to virtually sterilize a large area (hundreds of miles across)...but the effects would be gone within a few days.

An important rule of radiation weapons is that the duration of the radiation, is directly inverse to the time it remains radioactive. The most dangerous fallout decays IN SECONDS. While some lasts for thousands of years, it is so mildly radioactive it's not dangerous.

These 'Salted Bombs' are pretty scary. None are known to have been made but that is of limited comfort.

What is helpful is that a logical enemy, would not use them as war for the simple sake of destruction is rare.

Far more likely is a limited nuclear war where nuclear bombs are used to destroy conventional targets like military basis, productive cities, etc.

Last edited:
Is apple pectin from the peel or from the whole apple? Do you think it should be taken as a preventative so your body is full of it?

Pectin comes from the pulp of the fruit in apples. In citrus fruits it is found in the peel. It is a binding agent that will aid in removing radioactive isotopes from the body. I would ask a doctor if it would assist as a preventative, but from what I have read it would not. Here is some info I found.

Last edited:
I have the big green book, Nuclear War Survival Skills, in my first nuclear and radioactivity bin along with other related stuff.

What I am wondering about is a quick sheet or a smaller bit of information that is clear and concise about what to do if and when there is radioactivity? https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/Quick Reference Guide Final.pdf

If we were in an emergency situation, and especially for someone who has not even given this whole thing a seconds or minutes thought, that green book would be like having a big dictionary in the bin. Where would they even begin?

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/f...esponsePlanningGuidance-Public_171215-508.pdf

Go with 3M. I don't know if 3M has an NBC filter, but they kept me alive for a good many years for chemical stuff. This is the I one wore for years:

https://a.co/d/cIH5eay

Choose your filters/cartridges carefully, some of them are a Cluster**** in the wrong place.
Thank you!

How many filters would be recommended. I would think at least two. How long did they last you before you changed them out?

homeopathy, uranium nitricum is good to take. My naturopath even sells it to clients for xrays and any testing used with radiation
I wonder what the real shelf life is for it? I looked at homeopathy remedies and they had a best by date. Since we know that most best by dates are not true, it makes me wonder about homeopathy remedies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never saw one like #2. The types we use are like #1. But reading thru the material on them neither mention radiation. But typically particulate is what you are trying to block out. Never saw one like Dade posted either, but I've never worked in a chemical environment.
The green book you mentioned is the gold standard as far as I'm concerned on dealing with the issue we would face. Kearny is a well respected, I think he's still alive, researcher at the Lab. That book has been out for a long time, but I noticed mine had been updated 2 or 3 times since the original to contain the most current knowledge.

The green book you mentioned is the gold standard as far as I'm concerned on dealing with the issue we would face. Kearny is a well respected, I think he's still alive, researcher at the Lab. That book has been out for a long time, but I noticed mine had been updated 2 or 3 times since the original to contain the most current knowledge.
I haven't had mine very long, maybe a year or so, so it must be the latest edition. It is in a bin, part of my prep kit for radiation. I do have more to purchase to improve my kit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back