What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do think some of the “no shortages” or no apparent shortages is illusional. I realize that sounds weird, but there are fewer shelves, more spaces, fewer options and in many cases lower quality. I think it’s a frail structure at the moment.
You have hit the nail on the head!! 👍

Sometimes I think it's been frail for a long time - I'm just seeing that more clearly now.
Its root is when corporate America stopped producing in America and shifted to buy from overseas. It is the "death" of America.

The trouble in the Red Sea area will begin to affect some areas here soon. Pepco, a chain that own pound shops etc, issued a warning recently. Yesterday took my inlaws around a few shops, just for a wander and noticed empty shelves in a home store- they; 've been waiting a week for a delivery of items like towels, baskets, bedding etc. And in another store, one like Walmart, which has everything from birthday cards to food to decorations also was low in certain areas. They had filled the spaces, but there was nothing behind the rows of goods if that makes sense.
This will particularly affect the UK. It's a good time for it to happen, because Christmas is over, so there will be no panic buying, but could go on for a while. Will watch with interest.

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blo...Group warned,delays to container lead times”.

The trouble in the Red Sea area will begin to affect some areas here soon. Pepco, a chain that own pound shops etc, issued a warning recently. Yesterday took my inlaws around a few shops, just for a wander and noticed empty shelves in a home store- they; 've been waiting a week for a delivery of items like towels, baskets, bedding etc. And in another store, one like Walmart, which has everything from birthday cards to food to decorations also was low in certain areas. They had filled the spaces, but there was nothing behind the rows of goods if that makes sense.
This will particularly affect the UK. It's a good time for it to happen, because Christmas is over, so there will be no panic buying, but could go on for a while. Will watch with interest.

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blo...Group warned,delays to container lead times”.
This is one of the things “preppers” have been saying for a while now- the effect of all of the world hoopla doesn’t reveal itself immediately. It takes a while so stock up while you can sorta thing. We will see it here too but from other areas. Can’t seem to tell folks what they don’t want to hear though.

Shortages or the lack of shortages is an ever shifting local occurrence.

Having a prepper like personality, I personally do not enjoy the way shortages make me feel (insecure and vulnerable), but being a frugal (cheap?) individual I do not approve of over-stocking that leads to waste..

It becomes a very difficult balancing act. Then again, I may be overthinking this whole thing... :)

Shortages or the lack of shortages is an ever shifting local occurrence.

Having a prepper like personality, I personally do not enjoy the way shortages make me feel (insecure and vulnerable), but being a frugal (cheap?) individual I do not approve of over-stocking that leads to waste..

It becomes a very difficult balancing act. Then again, I may be overthinking this whole thing... :)
we tend to stock things that we have the room for and we fully plan to need them in the future,,,it could be ten years from now but durable goods are excellent to have. Might have to barter at some point or have more people around. I have several duplicates of useful small power tools like saws and grinders and I have a pile of tires either from cars I junked or some picked up used for a song.
there will be shortages and also I fully expect to have shortages of ready cash to spend..

I order a lot from Amazon. Recently I have had a problem with delayed and cancelled items, particularly items on subscribe and save. Some of these items are, dog food, depends, ensure, gas mask filters, dehydrated cheese and other dairy products, this is not an exclusive list. Often the first order comes just fine but subsequent orders can be a problem. The wife has been placing full price orders for the same item and the full price order arrives in a timely manner while the subscription is on hold. I put a subscribe and save order in on an item that is delayed for my wife, to see if I get it at the reduced price. My order should arrive next week. While I'm taking care of Mom we each have different mailing addresses.

I have a stock of ensure, depends, and both dog foods so that the delayed or cancelled orders are not a serious problem.

I order a lot from Amazon. Recently I have had a problem with delayed and cancelled items, particularly items on subscribe and save. Some of these items are, dog food, depends, ensure, gas mask filters, dehydrated cheese and other dairy products, this is not an exclusive list. Often the first order comes just fine but subsequent orders can be a problem. The wife has been placing full price orders for the same item and the full price order arrives in a timely manner while the subscription is on hold. I put a subscribe and save order in on an item that is delayed for my wife, to see if I get it at the reduced price. My order should arrive next week. While I'm taking care of Mom we each have different mailing addresses.

I have a stock of ensure, depends, and both dog foods so that the delayed or cancelled orders are not a serious problem.
Just for general info I have been freeze drying a high protien low glucose vitamin fortified chocolate drink. It makes a nice hot chocolate like drink reconstituted with hot water or mixed thicker makes a palatable pudding. It is sometimes needed for a special diet but is a good source of protien and vitamins for everyone from babies to oldsters.

Amazon is notorious for trying to scare you into spending more money. I have a friend who runs into your same problem with subscribe and save. I don't order much from Amazon, but I noticed that when I choose free shipping they always say the items will arrive in two weeks. They always come within a few days. I don't need to pay for expedited shipping!

I get the impression Amazon here (UK) seems to be different from the States.
I agree with Urban Hunter (what a great handle) about waste, I think is is getting a little better here.
The thing I notice about these shops is it is all a load of tat- as in its plastic stuff etc. They don't have huge amounts of food here, mainly surgery stuff that people should be able to do without anyway. And for now, it won't matter, unless its still happening when the summer holidays hit and people can't access the plastic swimming pools for their handbag dogs. I did notice that a two-pack of spam is up to 5.50euro o_O and they are very small tins, so one really. One on its own as 4.50.

@Caribou I'm experiencing the same with Amazon Subscribe and Save. I don't have too many things in it but the delays are more of an annoyance than anything. I've got Heidi's Beneful moist food on it (I use just a forkful on top of her dry food), treats for her, and Vernor's Ginger Ale for Dad. All have been delayed but the dog items are usually only delayed a week. The Vernor's has been a different story. Dad has started to ration his ginger ale.

Deliveries in general have taken longer lately. I prefer to use eBay since I can usually select a comparable vendor from California and that speeds things up since it's only one state away. But I recently had an order put backorder and then cancelled due to non available. Never had that before.

For our local situation, it's as much a matter for available workers (not to mention capable workers) as it is global supply chain issues. The delivery drivers seem to have a wider ability level than before. Some are outstanding, but the others stand out because they get lost, stuck, and can't run their vehicles in reverse effectively?

Hmmmm... I had a little incident with my truck. I slid on the slick ground just a few inches when I was trying to back out of a tight parking spot and barely nicked a post with the corner of my rear bumper. It was -17° and the plastic bumper cover shattered, and took the reverse light cover and the red taillight cover with it. I haven't gotten an estimate yet, but was told that no local shops can even get my truck in until late February because Toyota is short of replacement parts. No parts, no fix. 🤬

Hmmmm... I had a little incident with my truck. I slid on the slick ground just a few inches when I was trying to back out of a tight parking spot and barely nicked a post with the corner of my rear bumper. It was -17° and the plastic bumper cover shattered, and took the reverse light cover and the red taillight cover with it. I haven't gotten an estimate yet, but was told that no local shops can even get my truck in until late February because Toyota is short of replacement parts. No parts, no fix. 🤬
check amazon and ebay for parts. I have replaced multi hundreds of dollars headlight units with $67 knock offs that worked fine. I have also used the red plastic tape like stuff to cover a tailight so it is legal.

And just for info for other people,,,,wrecking yards around me have a great cross reference of what fits what.
after my wife pulled too close to a light pole base in a parking lot and wrinkled a door enough to leak air noisly I found a replacement door at a wrecking yard. The same body patrts fit 2007 thru 2015 on our honda. The door was 500$ and the deductable on our insurance would have been $1000. I dropped the comp coverage after finding out the deductable.

@Caribou I'm experiencing the same with Amazon Subscribe and Save. I don't have too many things in it but the delays are more of an annoyance than anything. I've got Heidi's Beneful moist food on it (I use just a forkful on top of her dry food), treats for her, and Vernor's Ginger Ale for Dad. All have been delayed but the dog items are usually only delayed a week. The Vernor's has been a different story. Dad has started to ration his ginger ale.
You might have another family member get it on subscribe and save. You can offer to pay for it. Keep theirs up till you have a reserve. If all they do is get the first order you'll still save 5% or 10% plus you'll have the extra Vernor's. The fact that I had months worth of depends, Ensure, and dog food, both dogs are on prescription food, means that these delays are just an inconvenience. One dog food was delayed so long that I ordered 10 cases from my vet. Nine cases arrived, even the vet has problems, while I was well into my last case. Amazon started shipping again a couple cases later.

I know the Vernor's is empty calories but with Mom, any calories I can get down her I am grateful for. I even have a prescription appetite enhancer for Mom.

My Tacoma bumper rusted away and I replaced it with a heavy duty Body Armor bumper, and added cube lights. That bumper will last, and I pity anyone who runs into it. About 800, and I’d do it again in a heartbeat.
i think it was free shipping, and it was quick delivery.
Just a thought. An alternative replacement that might be a better choice.

Last edited:
You might have another family member get it on subscribe and save. You can offer to pay for it. Keep theirs up till you have a reserve. If all they do is get the first order you'll still save 5% or 10% plus you'll have the extra Vernor's. The fact that I had months worth of depends, Ensure, and dog food, both dogs are on prescription food, means that these delays are just an inconvenience. One dog food was delayed so long that I ordered 10 cases from my vet. Nine cases arrived, even the vet has problems, while I was well into my last case. Amazon started shipping again a couple cases later.

I know the Vernor's is empty calories but with Mom, any calories I can get down her I am grateful for. I even have a prescription appetite enhancer for Mom.
I have “overstock” on everything but his Vernors. He shouldn’t be drinking that much of it anyway—he’s diabetic but at his age if he wants it he gets it. He has no appetite problems just can’t eat as much as when he was younger but that has more to do with activity level than anything else.

Patience, shipping.
My youngest daughter in law all summer has called me a food hoarder.
While I slowly and surely stock pile rice flour.
Now I like sourdough bread,waffles,pancakes and pasta for myself.
But I mainly make these items for her son,
So he can have as close to normal childhood like other kids.
Tomorrow I will make English Muffin Bread for him and several other items will be ready in my freezer.
Now she can't find these items for his special needs diet.
And it's my fault she didn't plan ahead for his special needs diet.
Hence why I said patience.

Patience, shipping.
My youngest daughter in law all summer has called me a food hoarder.
While I slowly and surely stock pile rice flour.
Now I like sourdough bread,waffles,pancakes and pasta for myself.
But I mainly make these items for her son,
So he can have as close to normal childhood like other kids.
Tomorrow I will make English Muffin Bread for him and several other items will be ready in my freezer.
Now she can't find these items for his special needs diet.
And it's my fault she didn't plan ahead for his special needs diet.
Hence why I said patience.
Let me get this straight, Your daughter didn't stock up and now she can't get what she needs because you try to be prepared? Yep, typical, it must be the hoarder's fault when the SHTF the woke will point to us in anger for their problems...

Not sure where else to put this so will set it here:
We have a client who has a local sub shop. He's always seemed to do well even through other "rough times" wink wink.
He was just in and said things were pretty steady through Dec. and into the first week of Jan. but in the past two weeks sales have dropped off 50%.
To me this tells me folks are beginning to get their credit card statements and don't have the extra $$$.

I agree. I just did my bills, and they were huge. There were two major unexpected expenses. We did help one of the kids with an unexpected bill that they could not handle.
Electric should not be big this month, hopefully.
Received news on Tuesday that our governor here in NY has cut school aid, probably to keep funding the illegals. Our district will have to make up nearly a million dollars next September. No problem for a rural county, right? Yates County is even more rural, and one school district was cut more than twice that amount.

Did I mention that little granddaughter's grade school is closing at the end of the school year? The district wants to put the money in the HS in the other town. Now she'll have to take a long bus ride to another town for her 8th grade year next year. The district thinks they can make money turning the whole school into a head start Pre K. In a township of 650 people, most of the amish, they won't get any kids. The amish don't use preschool. The send their kids to K thru 8th, and that's all that's mandated by the govt, so that's all they do.

Had to be in town early to drop an animal at the vet, so took the opportunity to see if there were any bargains in 'date up' area of the supermarket. I got 2 x 8 packs of muffins for 50c instead of 1.20, sandwich bread at 84c instead of 1.99 and a few packs of potato bread for frying at 25c. Noticed a few gaps and asked the checkout woman, who I sort of know after all these years. She blamed Brexit, said the fees for bring stuff in are very high, and they are changing stock or stopping certain items. She said it wasn't affecting Tesco as much as smaller stores, because of the amount they bring in, and they have the storage.
She mentioned a local store (one that sells everything, but I don't shop there) has stopped selling the dog food she used to buy. She said it's odd, because it's made by Purina, and Tesco have Purina foods in. Part of me wonders is it a good excuse for only offering what they want us to buy. This happened years ago when Tesco bought out another supermarket. I had an autistic child who liked a certain soup- all of a sudden it was gone. I asked them to order it in, I would buy a box, and they said they couldn't. Their orders went to the UK office, and it was decided there, what the Irish stores would get and what they wouldn't. :mad: Anyhow, I'm expecting a few shortages. This may also link up with a UK news piece about future war - I'll put in a different thread.

I have wondered over the past few months when seeing a report on the various food stock shortages at the Wallmartz around the country why up here in the N GA mountains we stay reasonably well stocked?
A gentleman provided me with the answer when we were not discussing that subject.
A lot of national and regional retailers are shipping stock away from the high theft cities and stores and putting them where they will be sold!

Latest posts

Back