What would you do faced with 50% inflation?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update on Walmart price increases. I don't use these products, and maybe you don't either, but it's indicative of what's going on in the grocery stores.

Atkins Endulge Treats, 5ct box
(Used by people on diabetic or keto diets)
Until a few days ago, they were still $5.98 (had been that price for a long time)
Today they are $6.48

McCormick Gravy Mix pouches
They were 88¢ for a long time.
As of May 6 of this year, they went up to $1.12
Today, they are $1.23.

As a "prepper" are you prepared for how you would manage under a daunting 50% inflation rate? How would you heat/cool your home, feed the family and pay the bills? Would your big fancy home and SUV be foreclosed on? Would your employer still be able to afford to keep you on the payroll?

Tough questions. We aren't immune to the fallout from the world financial Ponzi scheme in the US/Canada/Europe.

Poll shows Argentines expect inflation to hit 50% in next year
I would go back to form, probably long before the groceries ran out.
I was not joking when I said/posted "I'm one of the bad guys." I'm like a pet bob cat, I'm nice until I get hungry, then you will be reintroduced to the teeth and claws. BUT, like said bobcat, I pretty well know what I can eat and what I can't. I'll be nice until my survival depends on it.

We used up our cache 12-2 electrical wire that we purchased a while ago for about $50 each.

Today...

$150

Yikes!

Ben
Boy, do I know about electrical supplies!

One of the circuits in my house went out back in April, and my brother got his electrician friend to come fix it. That was when lumber and everything was going up in price exponentially.
The roll of wire he used was $88 two weeks before, $114 the week before, and $217 the week he fixed the circuit. That was from Lowes. I had to pay the $217 + tax for $232 (not including labor). He apologized, but it's not his fault.
Lowes told him the wholesale prices were going up daily on everything, and the prices online were not accurate. They were unable to update the prices on the website because they were going up too rapidly.

Since I still need more electrical work done, I started watching prices with little hope of getting anything affordable.

Then, only a few days after the work was done, I found the sale at Amazon that I have the photo for. I checked the exact same roll at Lowes and Home Depot, and it was $60 a roll at those two stores, so I got two rolls!

Then a month later I got Romex 125-ft 8/2 roll for $131 ($100 less than Lowes and Home Depot).

Eventually I'll be able to get some of the ancient wiring in this house replaced without going too broke. Maybe.

Attachments

• IMG_20210417_142621_01.jpg
    IMG_20210417_142621_01.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 6
I think Rebecca said it best in one of her posts about South Africa. The banker told her mother to buy "things". Anything tangible, so she would have goods, and not cash. I would throw in with Sourdough. I would buy more liquor, and maybe TP. Neither will go bad, and both are great barter items. That would be the best way to avoid hyperinflation.

We don't have any big ticket items other than cars and house, so nothing to cut back on there. I am close to retirement, and my wife is already retired, so we don't go anywhere, or do nearly as much as we used to. Our lifestyle is much more reserved.

My biggest concern would be the maintenance medication we all take. We have been very fortunate that insurance has covered the lion's share of the cost, but if that changed and drug prices skyrocketed we could be in trouble. Good post. Makes you look around and seriously look at where you could cut back if needed.
We've started getting some of my wife's meds from an overseas pharmacy because f-ing insurance won't cover it (despite it keeping her heart beating). The upside to that is you can buy in bulk, and be set for a good long while. We're getting 6 months at a time, where we used to have 1 on hand...

We've started getting some of my wife's meds from an overseas pharmacy because f-ing insurance won't cover it (despite it keeping her heart beating). The upside to that is you can buy in bulk, and be set for a good long while. We're getting 6 months at a time, where we used to have 1 on hand...
Does anyone have a link to any overseas pharmacies?

Does anyone have a link to any overseas pharmacies?
I've had good luck with www.offshoredrugmart.com - they'll ask for a prescription, but as long as you pay them they'll send the goods. Also good to know that most aquarium medicines (at least in tablet form) are just re-packaged human meds. I've had good luck with orders from: www.petproducts-online.com , although their prices are a bit higher than they were in the past - but most are still cheaper than a doctor visit!

Thank you
I was told that you can ignore the doctor portion and there are a couple of medical questions, but otherwise you don't need prescriptions.
I was also told it takes about 20 days or so for them to get to you.
(which seems normal now-a-days for ordering things online)

Get ready for a good size increase "next year"
http://themostimportantnews.com/arc...25-percent-on-thousands-of-different-products

General Mills (GIS) notified retail customers that it’s raising prices in mid-January on hundreds of items across dozens of brands. They include Annie’s, Progresso, Yoplait, Fruit Roll-Ups, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Cheerios, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Lucky Charm’s, Wheaties, Reese’s Puffs, Trix and more, according to letters General Mills sent to at least one major regional wholesale supplier last week.

For some items, prices will go up by around 20% beginning next year.

According to CNN, Tyson Foods, the Kraft Heinz Company, Procter & Gamble, and Kimberly Clark have all announced significant price increases for 2022…

This week, it was announced that the standard price point at Dollar Tree will be moving to $1.25 “by the end of April”

Our Dollar Trees in the bigger town already went to $1.25. Really bummed me out. Have not checked this, but a you tuber was talking about Kroger profit...normally they increase 2% yearly, had a 12% increase in profit this last year. And still they raise prices.

Not sure where to put this so will set it here for now. Just found out Jan. 1 our minimum wage is going up to $14.49/hr. which is a 6% increase from 2021. It went up quite a chunk from 2020 to 2021 also :mad:
I noticed on the way to work yesterday that our local Stouffer's factory had plastered our town with ads for starting positions at $16-18/hr - last year it was $13-15, (8 years ago it was $9-11) so that's a pretty big increase. You think your frozen lasagna is going to cost the same in 2022?

I noticed on the way to work yesterday that our local Stouffer's factory had plastered our town with ads for starting positions at $16-18/hr - last year it was $13-15, (8 years ago it was $9-11) so that's a pretty big increase. You think your frozen lasagna is going to cost the same in 2022?
Taco time has a big sign "Starting at $15+/hr. Walk in interviews" Essentially, they will hire them on the spot. Nobody to work. The pathetic part about min. wage is that it wasn't meant to be a living wage. It was so youngsters weren't taken advantage of. Now, a 16 year old who wants to be on the phone constantly and knows absolutely nothing is supposed to be paid a living wage.

I don't like Stouffer's lasagna. I like my own, though. :D

We used up our cache 12-2 electrical wire that we purchased a while ago for about $50 each.
Today...
$150
Yikes!
Ben
Copper was high out of sight, before the inflation.

Taco time has a big sign "Starting at $15+/hr. Walk in interviews" Essentially, they will hire them on the spot. Nobody to work. The pathetic part about min. wage is that it wasn't meant to be a living wage. It was so youngsters weren't taken advantage of. Now, a 16 year old who wants to be on the phone constantly and knows absolutely nothing is supposed to be paid a living wage.

My oldest was looking for a job and a place to live out in hiwalls neighborhood. Lots of jobs, no where to live.

I head on the radio this week that a McDonalds in a town close to us is starting out at $21 per hour with paid tuition after a few months work. :oops: That's about as much as some truck drivers around here make. The economy is upside down right now and this just can't be sustained.

Terri, I know some folks facing the same dilemma with not being able to find a place to rent or buy. There's LOTS of good paying jobs out there but no place to live.

I head on the radio this week that a McDonalds in a town close to us is starting out at $21 per hour with paid tuition after a few months work. :oops: That's about as much as some truck drivers around here make. The economy is upside down right now and this just can't be sustained.

Terri, I know some folks facing the same dilemma with not being able to find a place to rent or buy. There's LOTS of good paying jobs out there but no place to live.

Even all the RV spots we could find are full except one that is totally off grid. Darn snow birds....

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/dark-winter-ahead-pennsylvanians-power-bills-set-soar

• Citizens' Electric, up from 6.9777 cents to 7.9476 cents per kWh (13.9%);
  • Duquesne Light, up from 7.41 cents to 7.98 cents per kWh (7.7%);
  • Met-Ed, up from 7.114 cents to 7.414 cents per kWh (4.2%);
  • PECO, up from 6.597 cents to 7.021 cents per kWh (6.4%);
  • Penelec, down from 6.761 cents to 6.507 cents per kWh (3.8%);
  • Penn Power, down from 7.657 cents to 7.593 cents per kWh (less than 1%);
  • PPL, up from 7.544 cents to 9.502 cents per kWh (26%);
  • Pike County Light & Power, up from 6.5234 cents to 9.796 cents per kWh (50.2%);
  • Wellsboro Electric, up from 7.2596 cents to 7.5051 cents per kWh (3.4%); and
  • West Penn Power, up from 5.447 cents to 5.698 cents per kWh (4.6%);

Even all the RV spots we could find are full except one that is totally off grid. Darn snow birds....
Yup, I have friends that go RV'ing across the country. They went for about a year in 2019. They had all their places rented before they left but they said every one of them was at FULL capacity. They said they would have been screwed if they just left and tried to wing it.

At this point, I'm suprised they just don't put a 15, 20, 25.....or whatever % surcharge on your utility, grocery, online bill. Then they could turn around and give the employees that same increase to keep them working there. This would be just as stupid (and painful for those on fixed incomes) as what we are going through right now. Although, I do expect it to get worse before it gets any better.

Right now the employees are in control and they know it. We spoke with a local tavern owner who said his employees right now pretty much run the place and determine hours of operation. If he has employees to work, he's open. If not, he's closed. He can't disipline for poor performance, tardiness, no calls, or bad behavior. He's got to put up with it or lose business. It's the tail wagging the dog and it's just not right. I'm half tempted to work part time for him, but I just don't need the extra work right now. I've got enough on my plate as it is.

We went to town 8 days ago to run some errands and to grab a couple things. Today we went back to get our months worth of supplies and wow, the price increases since last Monday are plum scary.

A few items that we normally get went up in price by 50%, yes, 50%. Burger is at 6.99 a pound, chicken just took a huge jump. I wanted a pack of wings to do up, nope, ain't no way I'm paying 18.40 for a pack of raw wings, about 16 to 18 wings. That's a dollar per wing.

I told the wife people are going to start poaching if this keeps up.

Go Brandon!.

A youtuber (Homestead Heart) just did a video warning city and suburb ladies about getting robbed in the parking lot for your groceries. May be seeing more of this stuff because of prices going up. I did have someone follow me in the little amish store today, surprised me because he was pretending to need a cane. Not from here. Followed me out and told me he liked what I was wearing. Went away when he saw husband glaring at him. Still, faking cane use is something to watch for. He could of easily used it as a weapon. Creepers.

A youtuber (Homestead Heart) just did a video warning city and suburb ladies about getting robbed in the parking lot for your groceries. May be seeing more of this stuff because of prices going up. I did have someone follow me in the little amish store today, surprised me because he was pretending to need a cane. Not from here. Followed me out and told me he liked what I was wearing. Went away when he saw husband glaring at him. Still, faking cane use is something to watch for. He could of easily used it as a weapon. Creepers.
Wife said she has been thinking about that as well. Trying to keep a close eye out all the time.

Latest posts

Back