What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning! I hope to get a deep fiberglass or stainless steel double well sink for the canning kitchen. Down the road, when I find one at an estate sale or such.
My dishwasher is home for canning jars only. Only used to re-wash and heat jars.

Walked first this morning.
Cut carrots for dogs treats.
Tonight is Christmas dinner at Church. Making a 6 quart crock pot of tomato soup and 4 loaves of garlic/ garlic cheese bread to take with.
Will be serving and cleaning up at Church.
That's it for today!

Some info on bottom mount sinks. We were going to go that route. However we were told if you ever have to replace one it is a real PITA. I have no idea why or how often that might be required, but we went with a top mount. I I guess if you need to replace one plan on paying someone for the headache.

Just dealing with common cold symptoms. My head is so stuffed up that I can't get any air through my nose. Every time I fell asleep last night, my mouth would close and I would wake up gasping for breath. I did a telemedicine call with my NP and she had me come in for a Covid swab, so I'm waiting on results from that. I think it's just a cold. I have no loss of taste/smell, no fever, no body aches, so it's probably not covid. But I have to have contact with high risk people and I have to fly on the 13th so I suppose I need to be sure...

Just dealing with common cold symptoms. My head is so stuffed up that I can't get any air through my nose. Every time I fell asleep last night, my mouth would close and I would wake up gasping for breath. I did a telemedicine call with my NP and she had me come in for a Covid swab, so I'm waiting on results from that. I think it's just a cold. I have no loss of taste/smell, no fever, no body aches, so it's probably not covid. But I have to have contact with high risk people and I have to fly on the 13th so I suppose I need to be sure...
Let us know for sure! Hope it's just a cold!!

Test was negative. Not sure if I'm happy about that or not. I was kind of looking forward to not having to leave home for a week...;)

Isn’t it amazing how a brief conversation can change your whole outlook? Or better yet give you renewed energy, clear up your view of life that has gotten clouded. It makes the burdens you carry seem lighter... I just had such a conversation. Wasn’t planned, just made a call about some unfinished business, getting some tinctures before winter.

There is a man who lives up on Lookout Mtn. He’s one of the worlds foremost experts on Appalachian folk medicine. He and I had a talk this morning. I even laughed at one point thinking… if we were having that conversation at… a restaurant. The only thing the people around us would have heard was rapid fire gibberish sprinkled with Latin. Folks would have thought we were nuts.

He was excited as I was at my finding a new species from India growing in my pastures (medicinal)… What I didn’t know… it has a cousin already growing here. But, it only likes growing at higher elevations, like Lookout Mtn, I’ve never seen it.

Learned something new about kidney stones and the subtleties of treating with stone breaker plants. He just experienced a bout of kidney stones and had a new perspective.

Anyway, I’ve been tied up with family matters the last couple of years, my vision had become clouded, like tunnel vision. I haven’t been out studying serious plant medicine, out in deep woods or swamps. Lost view of my center, so-to-speak. A few minutes on the phone brought so much back into focus.

Going to try to get a trip in before christmas… I need a couple days out in the woods… mean, nasty winter days, even snowing would be fine with me. There is lots of plant medicine to learn, even when it’s snowing.

Last edited:
Went to a ladies coffee break early this morning after dropping off little granddaughter to school, making husband breakfast, and feeding the animals. Got all sugared out, came home and did the Kroger Store shopping with husband in the bigger town. He is finally starting to notice prices, never did any shopping until he recently retired, and only goes in if there's a scooter charged. I showed him the Ramen section, huge shelves of nothing. He said that's ok, he doesn't eat Ramen. Told him they are sold out because it's a cheap meal and nothing else is. Cousin came by and brought me 4 straw bales I needed. They are doing some hay hauling today out of our roundtop.

I spent most of the morning lying on frozen ground changing a drive motor hose on an excavator, hose its self is easy enough to change depending on your definition of easy, but dealing with the guard plate is a different matter, I am too young for this kind of work.

The past few years I have been having this problem not only with FedEx but with UPS and USPS as well. I can watch the tracking show the package left Los Angeles and travel through Las Vegas and then passed southern Utah to get to Salt Lake City, they sit all day before they put it on another truck to go to Las Vegas where they put it on another truck to Finally get drop it off in southern Utah where it sat all day and they finally delivered it the next day. Two years ago USPS had a package for me that left Tennessee to go to Atlanta and then to Chicago, to Denver, through Salt Lake City to Seattle, back to Salt Lake City, down to Cedar City, Utah where it spent the day and night and I finally got the 2 day delivery package took 5 days. On top of all that all three companies are notorious for delivering to the wrong street in the neighborhood, it may be the right numbers on the house but on the wrong street.
Not laughing at you, but that really is ridiculous.

Spike, I hope you get feeling better soon.

Inresponse, it reminds me of some problems I had with a fedex order for something I needed urgently. It took nearly 3 weeks. I checked the tracking and they kept claiming they attempted to deliver but no delivery attempt was made. I called, I complained, I asked for updates. I got one call at 5:59am from them asking for directions to my house & said the package would be here by 3. Called back at 4 asking "where is my package?" and they didn't know WTHeck I was talking about or who had called that early. Back and forth like that for 2 full weeks. Finally got them to give me a direct line to their driver & made arrangements for him to meet me at Pizza Hut in town to deliver the package to me. When I FINALLY got the package I could see that their map didn't even show the right f***ing Parish much less the right town, street, etc. I'd had to give the guy detailed directions but since it had been raining the road was muck so he couldn't drive on it.

Was hungry in the middle of the night and got up for a snack. Bent over to look at something and got dizzy. Woke up feeling awful. Stuffy nose & sinus headache. Stayed in bed and took meds & felt even worse for awhile. Had to go pick up mail so I took my brother along so he could go in. I also had to pop over to swap something with my friend. While I was there I saw some jerk run over the dog (more on that in the rant thread). Tires missed him but he got tumbled under the truck for about 30ft bc the jerk didn't even stop. I haven't heard back from my friend on whether or not the dog is still ok. He was really shaken up by it.

After a long nap I got up and felt a little better but still feeling meh. Cooked for Mom and started doing some dishes and cleaning the counters. The red sauce my brother made finally came off. Got the pressure cookers all cleaned up. Then I wiped down the cabinets with a damp paper towel (they had a lot of dust on them). Couldn't reach the very upper parts on some, but I got what I could. I really need to clean the hvac vents. They look disgusting.

Thinking about starting the ceramic tile backsplash.
Been 50 years since I did any.
Thinking about it.
Will lay it out first, hope I don't have a lot of cutting to do. If I do, gotta go rent a tile saw.(unless someone has a way to cut it).

When I get the tile all finished , and, crown mold on cabinets, cut and put dividers in the drawers ....I'm done with the kitchen.

Oh gotta hook up the ice maker kit to fridge.

Jim

The past few years I have been having this problem not only with FedEx but with UPS and USPS as well. I can watch the tracking show the package left Los Angeles and travel through Las Vegas and then passed southern Utah to get to Salt Lake City, they sit all day before they put it on another truck to go to Las Vegas where they put it on another truck to Finally get drop it off in southern Utah where it sat all day and they finally delivered it the next day. Two years ago USPS had a package for me that left Tennessee to go to Atlanta and then to Chicago, to Denver, through Salt Lake City to Seattle, back to Salt Lake City, down to Cedar City, Utah where it spent the day and night and I finally got the 2 day delivery package took 5 days. On top of all that all three companies are notorious for delivering to the wrong street in the neighborhood, it may be the right numbers on the house but on the wrong street.
I just had a miracle from UPS yesterday. My package was coming from California and I watched the tracking information stuck at "Shipper created a label, UPS has not received the package yet" since Nov 30th. Then the silly thing must have teleported itself because it showed up on my doorstep yesterday.

I just had a miracle from UPS yesterday. My package was coming from California and I watched the tracking information stuck at "Shipper created a label, UPS has not received the package yet" since Nov 30th. Then the silly thing must have teleported itself because it showed up on my doorstep yesterday.

Yes! That must be it! I've had the same thing happen - teleportation must be the answer. 👍

The tracking info for the sink The Princess ordered shows 11 locations it has been to get to the store tomorrow.
Shipping is all kinds of goofy this year. Not sure why an item from TN to UT hit SLC, then went to Fargo, Kansas City and back to UT...
1639071665506.png

Had a great time last night at our Christmas dinner at Church! Cleaned up and got home around 8 pm.

Walked first.
Went to town for a couple of things for DH.
Still have to walk dogs when the drizzle stops.
Count how many and what size banana breads I have frozen, so I know what I need to make the total number for Christmas. It can get complicated.
Rest this afternoon!

Just cleaning the house and purging junk. My folks are coming for Christmas so we want the house less cluttered. They have a 2 year old brittany that doesn't understand not to chew things and the girls are not tidy.

Roo has been putting holes in her jeans by poking a hole with a pencil during school time then making it bigger by picking at it with her fingers. I warned her she will be buying her own jeans. Well, she ruined a pair I just bought her so now she has to buy herself a new pair before January ends (whale watching trip she has yet to be told about). I also told her that she needs to replace the blinds in her room she broke within a few weeks of moving into the house (2019). Her deadline for those is August. I am tired of her breaking things and continuing to do so once they are replaced! Now she can pay.

Last edited:
Mom ordered something from Amazon that apparently didn't get scanned properly by USPS and was listed as "lost" so she got a refund. It arrived later but the first time it was used it was broken. Didn't realize it had been refunded so when Mom went to file to return it, she found she couldn't. But, she got the $ back already so she can just junk it and she bought a better brand. I hope the 24v version she got is better.

Grimm, I hate when people break stuff & don't feel like they should replace it or that they should take care to NOT break things. My brother is like that. If it's not his or it's something he doesn't care about, he won't be careful with it. It's why they need to learn as children that if they break it on purpose or from being reckless that it doesn't get replaced by someone else. I've seen soo many kids break stuff but then get rewarded by having it replaced. They don't learn to be responsible if they don't have to take responsibility for it and there are no consequences.

Today I'm trying to motivate myself to get up and do more cleaning. I need to go pick up some medicine from the pharmacy that wasn't ready until today. Just took the last of my Metformin so I need more. Feeling better than yesterday.

Last night I got the hall light and hall closet lights working, even though my notes at the breaker panel said they were part of the bathroom outlet circuit they were connected to the lights in the back workroom and I found the wire feed for them inside a light switch box. I am hoping that is the case for the other set out outlets I have no power too. Like I said, I ran this wiring about 4 years ago so my memory is foggy at best. Too much life BS between then and now.
I bought some post it notes to mark the outlets that are not working and then step back and try to visualize what nearby circuit the feed might be coming from.
Ugh.

Mom ordered something from Amazon that apparently didn't get scanned properly by USPS and was listed as "lost" so she got a refund. It arrived later but the first time it was used it was broken. Didn't realize it had been refunded so when Mom went to file to return it, she found she couldn't. But, she got the $ back already so she can just junk it and she bought a better brand. I hope the 24v version she got is better.

Grimm, I hate when people break stuff & don't feel like they should replace it or that they should take care to NOT break things. My brother is like that. If it's not his or it's something he doesn't care about, he won't be careful with it. It's why they need to learn as children that if they break it on purpose or from being reckless that it doesn't get replaced by someone else. I've seen soo many kids break stuff but then get rewarded by having it replaced. They don't learn to be responsible if they don't have to take responsibility for it and there are no consequences.

Today I'm trying to motivate myself to get up and do more cleaning. I need to go pick up some medicine from the pharmacy that wasn't ready until today. Just took the last of my Metformin so I need more. Feeling better than yesterday.

That is the reason I refused to buy her the bigger bike this year. I posted a picture of the bike she wanted on the school room door with the price and the note, "I'm NOT paying for it! You want it? YOU BUY IT!!!!" She worked her butt off to earn the money for it and bought it.

Now she refuses to do chores because she already has the bike.

That is the reason I refused to buy her the bigger bike this year. I posted a picture of the bike she wanted on the school room door with the price and the note, "I'm NOT paying for it! You want it? YOU BUY IT!!!!" She worked her butt off to earn the money for it and bought it.

Now she refuses to do chores because she already has the bike.
Kids...

Just cleaning the house and purging junk. My folks are coming for Christmas so we want the house less cluttered. They have a 2 year old brittany that doesn't understand not to chew things and the girls are not tidy.

Roo has been putting holes in her jeans by poking a hole with a pencil during school time then making it bigger by picking at it with her fingers. I warned her she will be buying her own jeans. Well, she ruined a pair I just bought her so now she has to buy herself a new pair before January ends (whale watching trip she has yet to be told about). I also told her that she needs to replace the blinds in her room she broke within a few weeks of moving into the house (2019). Her deadline for those is August. I am tired of her breaking things and continuing to do so once they are replaced! Now she can pay.
Olivia (my eldest granddaughter) has started to wear jeans with the premade holes in the legs. Seems it is the fashion. I offered to give her my old bibs that are real. She thought about it. She may take me up on the offer. ;)

Ben

Grimm

Next big ticket item she wants, have her sign a contract with the consequences. Example: you buy the bike but if you don't continue doing your chores, the bike gets locked up for X amount of time.

The contract is so that she can't get away with blaming you for loss of use or that she didn't know and you changed the rules. Some kids are born lawyers and test every boundary.

Paper trails for everything. Kids are born one step ahead of you and some are too clever for their own good sometimes.

This won't necessarily make dealing with her any easier, but it keeps fairness and consistency in the equation when you find yourself pulling your hair out.

Latest posts

Back