What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would light and throw one of those rodent stinky poison bombs down there. Or else use a live trap with catfood. Of course, then you'd have to decide what to do with it if you caught it. I do not recommend shooting a live trapped skunk with a bb gun (our very old neighbor and our son who was ten at the time did this). They stunk up the whole front yard.

Chuck a few bug bombs and block off the openings when he leaves.

Yep. We did that in New Mexico, bombed those buggers. Those skunks were tunneling from outside into our masterbath under the big jacuzzi tub. Turned out that was a problem because the gas came in the bathroom. Our son made a game out of going after gophers. I just used bombs, but he would flood, use lights, or would play the digeridoo in the gopher holes for hours. I think my way was better. And then there was the squirrel that got into husband's mancave. That was a problem.

Yep. We did that in New Mexico, bombed those buggers. Those skunks were tunneling from outside into our masterbath under the big jacuzzi tub. Turned out that was a problem because the gas came in the bathroom. Our son made a game out of going after gophers. I just used bombs, but he would flood, use lights, or would play the digeridoo in the gopher holes for hours. I think my way was better. And then there was the squirrel that got into husband's mancave. That was a problem.
Ya'll really attract those critters🤔😁

Changed our plans for traveling to Florida. We are going to fly instead of drive. It will be cheaper. Plane tickets were $324 each round trip which will be about what gas will cost with current prices and it won't take me 6-10 days of driving and fewer rental car days to pay for.

I hate flying!

Changed our plans for traveling to Florida. We are going to fly instead of drive. It will be cheaper. Plane tickets were $324 each round trip which will be about what gas will cost with current prices and it won't take me 6-10 days of driving and fewer rental car days to pay for.

I hate flying!

My prayers are with you all that the flight is good and everything on time.

Researching how to incubate eggs. Looks like we aren’t getting roosters anywhere locally this Year. Have never incubated eggs before. Always let a broody hen do it. We don’t know if our extremely old guy is even getting the job done anymore but we’re thinking about giving some eggs a go to see if we get lucky. would love a replacement rooster from him. He’s done well for us over the years.

Crack a few eggs open to check for fertility. An UNfertilized egg will have a small white spot about the size of a pin head on the yolk. On a fertile egg, the spot will be larger and look alot like a target. Its obvious when you see it.Think of a slightly fuzzy ring around the pin head spot.

If your old guy is only half doing his job, it's still worth it and fun to try hatching some eggs to get a new rooster if you can't find another one. Don't worry about inbreeding, you can go a few generations without problems.

There isn't much research to do to hatch eggs. Get an incubator with digital read outs but not necessary and stick some clean but unwashed eggs in it. The incubator comes with everything you need to know. If you can swing for an egg turner great, but if not, cut the bottoms out of egg carton cells, plastic is reusable, and use those to hold the eggs. You can get 4 egg carton bottoms 48 eggs in a hovabator.

If you do that, all you need to do to turn the eggs is to put something under one edge of the 'bator in the morning and switch it to the other side at night. I use an egg carton for this when using a styrofoam 'bator.

You can learn the rest as you go.

Do it. Fuzzy butts good. No fuzzy butts bad.

Last edited:
Crack a few eggs open to check for fertility. An UNfertilized egg will have a small white spot about the size of a pin head on the yolk. On a fertile egg, the spot will be larger and look alot like a target. Its obvious when you see it.Think of a slightly fuzzy ring around the pin head spot.

If your old guy is only half doing his job, it's still worth it and fun to try hatching some eggs to get a new rooster if you can't find another one. Don't worry about inbreeding, you can go a few generations without problems.

There isn't much research to do to hatch eggs. Get an incubator with digital read outs but not necessary and stick some clean but unwashed eggs in it. The incubator comes with everything you need to know. If you can swing for an egg turner great, but if not, cut the bottoms out of egg carton cells, plastic is reusable, and use those to hold the eggs. You can get 4 egg carton bottoms 48 eggs in a hovabator.

If you do that, all you need to do to turn the eggs is to put something under one edge of the 'bator in the morning and switch it to the other side at night. I use an egg carton for this when using a styrofoam 'bator.

You can learn the rest as you go.

Do it. Fuzzy butts good. No fuzzy butts bad.
You’re adorable :huggs:
We have seen the target recently! Yay! I’ve seen the poor old guy “get er done” but wasn't sure if he really was. Sometimes he falls over too. He is ancient and been the best rooster we’ve ever had. He’s earned his retirement and then some. Would be nice to keep his line going a bit. All our ladies are not related. We’ve bought chicks the last few batches so we’re good there anyways but that’s great to know.
Not gunna lie. This has always been on my list of things to learn (hence buying the incubator years ago on clearance) so I’m pretty excited to see if I can do it.
Thanks so much for the help! I’ve written it all down!

Just getting some chores done and planning my run to the bank tomorrow. I want to make one trip out and get as many errands done as possible to limit gas wasted. I don't have a lot to do but the feed store is the only errand that is out of the way. Since I only go once a month or less I figure I can justify the gas. I need to get a bale of hay for the rabbits.

Lost a baby rabbit yesterday. It was the runt and the other kits kicked it out of the nest. He got cold and died. Rather now than after we put effort into weaning and fattening them up (before butchering day). He was in the nest during morning count and not when I did the afternoon count. I had to dig around for him. But he was cold and hard so he must have died not long after morning count. Still have 10 total kits. Next time I'll bottle feed the runt and maybe put them in with the other litter (closer to their size) to be fostered.

Made bread and did a check of our flour stores in the freezer. I might have to talk K in to buying a third freezer just for grains and flour.
Where daughter lived there were a bunch of wild rabbits. They drove Crosby crazy and she came close to hurting me because of them. I learned to let go of the leash and let her run and chase, or die! One day Crosby and I were out walking and she found a baby rabbit. I know you are suppose to leave them and the mother will come back for them. There were a few issues. There was a cat close by, just a few feet away. It was a really hot day and the rabbit was laying on rock landscaping in the sun. This rabbit didn't have fur and it's eyes were not open yet. Daughter and I decided to take it in, and she found a rabbit rescue that took it. They raised it with two other babies and released it when it was full grown. I've been looking for a video of it, but cannot find it now.

@Terri9630 I'm glad you're flying. Think of the expense of food and hotels too. Hope you get through the flight okay. It'll be better for your girl too.

Food and hotels weren't an issue. I conveniently have family about every 300 miles along I10 and I'm taking our own home grown freeze dried foods for the Kid. I'm praying that her heart doesn't act up while we are flying. We were going to drive so she could lay down or get up and walk as needed, depending on which condition acts up.
She's excited, I'm not. I really hate flying. Her service dog may end up being my emotional support animal on the plane...

I would light and throw one of those rodent stinky poison bombs down there. Or else use a live trap with catfood. Of course, then you'd have to decide what to do with it if you caught it. I do not recommend shooting a live trapped skunk with a bb gun (our very old neighbor and our son who was ten at the time did this). They stunk up the whole front yard.
I've never done this, but I've been told - if you get a skunk in a live trap, get a big old blanket and unfurl it and hold it out in front of you. Approach the trap, still holding it like that. If ol' stinkybutt sprays, the blanket will catch most of it. When you get to the trap, throw the blanket over it. The skunk is now unable to see you. Pick up the trap and move it away, to a spot where you won't mind the stink. Then grab the edges of the blanket and reverse the process, walking away backward with the blanket held between you and the skunk. Then, from a safe distance, explode the skunk with a high powered rifle...

I've never done this, but I've been told - if you get a skunk in a live trap, get a big old blanket and unfurl it and hold it out in front of you. Approach the trap, still holding it like that. If ol' stinkybutt sprays, the blanket will catch most of it. When you get to the trap, throw the blanket over it. The skunk is now unable to see you. Pick up the trap and move it away, to a spot where you won't mind the stink. Then grab the edges of the blanket and reverse the process, walking away backward with the blanket held between you and the skunk. Then, from a safe distance, explode the skunk with a high powered rifle...
That does work most of the time.

Looks like they spread and put the “pile” fire out finally. Was told it would be tomorrow due to the winds. As soon as the wind died down they got on it. House is full of smoke still but outside seems to be clearing out. Will hopefully be able to air out the house tomorrow.
Still trying to dial in the incubator. Going to let it run a few days just to be sure it’s working right. The turner is definitely working so far.
Got hubby off to work.
Chores are finished. Debating on working on my mother in laws quilt tonight. Feeling pretty tired.
Got a call from our tax lady. Taxes taken in yesterday afternoon and they are done already! They even had a late enough apt for signing that my husband can get up and go with me. Usually I bring them home, have him sign them then take them back usually the next day. This will be done tomorrow! Saving fuel too. Win win

We don’t for eating either. Just want to be sure we’re doing it right for incubation. Usually we just put all eggs under 1 hen till the nest is full enough.

This time you want them in at the same time so you can lock them down the last three days.

Latest posts

Back