What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those stories make me glad I go to a little church in a little town. Including all the kids, we get 120 to 150 people on Sundays. You can walk in wearing shorts, sandals, and a camo ball cap, and no one would bat an eye. You are encouraged to get a cup of coffee from the coffee shop out front and bring it into the sanctuary to sip on during the service. And somebody is going to greet you at some point...
My kind of place! We have 8 children at Sunday school total. Of these 8 children, the age range is from 2 to 11. There are two young women who run it. As a teacher, that is quite a range to work with in one group. The last church was also very casual and people dressed as you described. I was a greeter/usher for many years. I wanted more bible study and spiritual guidance.

We bought some raisedbeds from a neighbor who was moving. They called us Wed morning to see if we were interested and said we had a week to move them. We bought them and started moving them, they were full of soil,and then found out we only had until Fri afternoon to move all 17 of them. We got it done, but man am I sore......

My kind of place! We have 8 children at Sunday school total. Of these 8 children, the age range is from 2 to 11. There are two young women who run it. As a teacher, that is quite a range to work with in one group. The last church was also very casual and people dressed as you described. I was a greeter/usher for many years. I wanted more bible study and spiritual guidance.
Our "children's church" is for kids 10 and under and lasts as long as the service. I would guess that there are around 20 kids in there most weeks plus 3 or 4 babies in the nursery. I'm not sure who runs the kids service but they must do a fantastic job, because those kids are always smiling when they come out afterward..

Spent the day planting seeds in the new raised bed. Oregano, parsley, basil, peppermint, carrots, lettuce, and others. Also planted flower seeds around the property. Watered everything in good. The new sprinkler system is working good, great coverage with no overspray.

Had a good night of sleep Saturday night. So far tonight I was yawning a lot when I went to bed but no sleep. Finally gave up and came out to the computer. When I get a good chill sitting out here I will go back to bed, that might work. We have had warm weather the past couple days. Saturday night we turned on the A/C just to cool the house at bed time but today (yesterday/Sunday) was a bit cooler so we skipped the A/C. The bedroom was a bit warmer than I am used to so that didn't help.

Last edited:
Spent the day planting seeds in the new raised bed. Oregano, parsley, basil, peppermint, carrots, lettuce, and others. Also planted flower seeds around the property. Watered everything in good. The new sprinkler system is working good, great coverage with no overspray.

Had a good night of sleep Saturday night. So far tonight I was yawning a lot when I went to bed but no sleep. Finally gave up and came out to the computer. When I get a good chill sitting out here I will go back to bed, that might work. We have had warm weather the past couple days. Saturday night we turned on the A/C just to cool the house at bed time but today (yesterday/Sunday) was a bit cooler so we skipped the A/C. The bedroom was a bit warmer than I am used to so that didn't help.
At least you got one good night of sleep!!

My
Didn't sleep real well last night, and there's something bugging my allergies this morning. Looks like it's going to be a drippy nose kind of day...
Myself and one of the "community cats" are both dealing with that, I changed his name to "snotbubbles" till it passes.

Sunday

Took the MIL out for mother's day yesterday. Then I was told "we" planned on stopping at the #1 SIL for dessert. Got home at 5 PM.

SIL gave the wife a planted flower. Needs to be planted ASAP. Asked the wife to show me where is wanted the flower planted Monday..

Monday

My Oldest sister showed up unexpectedly. Updated me on the updated updates that she updated me on the last time we talked.

Asked the wife where did she want the flower planted? She wants the flowers planted....evidently she had bought more flowers last week and they are dying in the trays.

Spray weeds and the invasive vine stuff that she planted two years ago (she no longer wants) and over took a flower bed.

Plant the wife's flowers and give them a good water.

When I was in the basement digging out my suitcase I heard a thump upstairs. Wife was on all fours on the floor crying. She had tripped on the last step coming up from the basement. Fortunately the only thing she hurt was her ego.

Pack for the trip.

While spraying weed I checked the strawberries the wife plant in her raised garden last week. Leaves are wilted and need a good watering before our trip. Wife has been sitting in the kitchen most of the morning listening to the TV as she scrolls in FaceBook. I'm debating if I should just go ahead and water the strawberries for her or let them die? Ain't going to help her if I enable her...another item I hadn't scheduled tome for today.

Drive into town to withdraw cash for the trip. Trips I use the credit card because of the rewards. I also carry cash for gasoline if the credit card fails, SHTF, WROL or Brandon steals another election.

Had a nice visit with my boys yesterday for Mother's day & also celebrated our baby's 19th, which is today.
Got less done in the yard over the weekend because my better 1/2 wanted to have the house cleaner for "company", so we shifted to that. Glad I didn't end up getting the cover off the hoop house this weekend, because we woke up to snow on the ground and 34 degree temps this morning:
IMG_20220509_085056med.jpg

OK, I got done with my telemedicine appointment with my NP, Angela. She gave me my lab results. Some of you might not understand these, but I had to share.

A1c = 5.9
Total cholesterol =186
Cholesterol ratio = 3.6
Kidney function = normal

@DrJenner How does that look for a 49 year old male who has been a type 1 diabetic for 34 years?

34 years ago this week is when I got diagnosed. At the children's hospital they told me I'd be dead or crippled by 40. Those doctors that told me that...can kiss my healthy diabetic butt!
Those are fantastic numbers!! Keep up the good work.
My uncle passed at 91, had been a lifetime type 1 diabetic. It’s possible to live a long time - you just have to be so careful about taking care of yourself.

Had a nice visit with my boys yesterday for Mother's day & also celebrated our baby's 19th, which is today.
Got less done in the yard over the weekend because my better 1/2 wanted to have the house cleaner for "company", so we shifted to that. Glad I didn't end up getting the cover off the hoop house this weekend, because we woke up to snow on the ground and 34 degree temps this morning:
View attachment 86105
Snow on the mountains all around us the morning. It's beautiful, but I'm glad it's up there and not down here.

Those are fantastic numbers!! Keep up the good work.
My uncle passed at 91, had been a lifetime type 1 diabetic. It’s possible to live a long time - you just have to be so careful about taking care of yourself.
Good to "see" you Dr. J. You must have your running shoes on these days.

Hubs and I are going to build a greenhouse for the new place that will act as cold storage until we get the root cellar dug. We are running out of time to get everything done!
I spent this past weekend in the gym at Oregon state university- my daughter had a volleyball tournament. This is the very last one she and I will go to together. We have been doing this since she was 11, and now her club career is over at 19, as she’s going on to play college volleyball. She does have one more tournament but I’m working so hubs is taking her.
1AAA7300-86C7-47B3-BB8F-C4E0F7A0C5BB.jpeg
4FCF950B-6287-439D-B32F-EE1FA34FD387.jpeg

Pulled the entrance reducers from my new bee hives, after about 5 days. Getting hot, need to ventilate the hives. Cleaned up a bunch of trash over the weekend. Self-discipline is a must out here. If I make a mess, I have to get it picked up RIGHT THEN, otherwise , stuff comes up and it never gets done.

Well dang it..the new dog turned out to be a cat chaser. She was described to be good with them but I found out after, good with dog savey cats who dont have access or exposure to a dogs living space.
The semi feral cats I employ live in harmony with my dog and share the back porch n back yard. To me, "good with cats" means they can live together, no issues.
The shelter manager admitted when she took her home to chicken test her, she did chase her cats. But one of her cats stopped running n the dog didnt her her. However her cats are dog savey since she is always bringing home dogs often.
Unfortunately, I just dont have time to deal with a cat chaser. She was great with the chickens n turkeys , was pretty obedient, joyful, mannered, had a great hike with her n my dog..but the cat chasing is a no no...and one I dont have the time to deal with when I gone 12 hrs on workdays..
I'm pretty bummed ...she woulda been perfect otherwise.

Whew, tuckered again. I had to clean my garage/shop and I still ain't done. What a mess.

I ordered a new carb and head for my string trimmer so I got that on, man, what a difference. Last year it would barely run, new carb and I'm back to 8000 rpm head speed, shewy does it ever cut through stuff again. Got to get my backpack blower out and running, lots of stuff to make disappear after trimming and mowing.

Ordered a wiring harness so I can put my brake controller in the Jeep, now to get a new tire and new lights on the trailer.

The Princess brought home some broccoli plants that spoke to her. I asked where should they be planted. She said in the backyard. After I walked her through having to protect them from the ground hogs... and her stated plan to eat from the backyard... she said "Well I will clear out the box we used to grow peas in on The Ridge."

So reclaiming that box from the clutches on the multi-flora rose and vines became my priority for today.

20220509_133251_HDR.jpg

That clump of jagger bushes to the right of the white bench is that raised bed.

20220509_163307_HDR.jpg

After clearing that garden box (without shedding any type O- Thank God!) the box has been reclaimed. Cleared all weeds and roots and almost ready for planting now.

20220509_163325_HDR.jpg

I will have to return to rehabilitate the fencing and add a too to prevent the ground hogs from climbing over the fence to get at the broccoli.

After packing up to depart the garden looks bigger now.

20220509_164845_HDR.jpg

On the way out I spotted evidence that a turkey lost a fight.

20220509_165050.jpg

No idea what got it. Just feathers everywhere.

Tomorrow I think I will take a snake to the overflow pipe for the pond. The pond is overflowing and creating a mess. Here is hoping I can clear it without resorting to a shovel. 🕳 ;)

Ben

Yeah! We got a functional washing machine now. It's very hillbilly still probably but a lot better than the old one. At least it spins the clothes well. Husband hooked up a new line under the house to come out to the porch next to the kitchen where the washer is. We attached a garden faucet to it, and a hose, which connects to a hose spreader which attaches to the washer hoses. I stuck the garden faucet through a block and attached it to the porch post with a bungy cord :) It works! Now all I have to do is dump a pot of hot water in it but I no longer have to time my hose so it doesn't run over and flood the kitchen ( done that...)

I did 5 large loads of laundry and made pizza.
The bottle baby lambs are now cut off ( they are over 2 months old now) and all I have left to feed is 4 little goat kids.

Left my phone at home when I left for work this morning. Met wife about 10 to get it from her. Back to work to try and keep up. Oil change on my way home. then just chilled when I got home.
Some days wouldn't it be nice just to forget it and leave it? (I think that a lot).

Latest posts

Back