What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent today, "Wilderness SURVIVAL Training". (Yes, it was "hell" for a 75+ y/o man, OK......former "Man") This wimp is just trying to stay awake till 6 o'clock, currently 4:45 in afternoon.

Worked some at cleaning up in the summer kitchen. At least I can walk in there again. It was pretty bad. It's not perfect, but much better.
Also, got 2 new batteries for the trailer. The ones that were in there were mfg. in 2014 so I guess they were due. Got those swapped out and tested. Am trying to figure out the little marker lights. On the inside, got it all vacuumed and then will wipe some things down and we'll be ready to roll.
Hubby didn't find any shrooms but one of our employees texted a pix. They found about 12 lbs of morels!
A few showers today, but the sun has been shining also so it's really pretty - rain drops look like crystals falling.

Daughter's dance recital went great and I am super proud of her. She has been in dance for 11 years now and she has improved so much. You can see the confidence in her dance now. I know we probably shouldn't post pics of our kids, but I'm too proud of her not to share...
20220528_203221.jpg

Daughter's dance recital went great and I am super proud of her. She has been in dance for 11 years now and she has improved so much. You can see the confidence in her dance now. I know we probably shouldn't post pics of our kids, but I'm too proud of her not to share...
View attachment 87097
WOW, how awesome!! She is your amazing child, you should be proud of her!!

Tank-Girl, I hope you have good luck house-training the Land Shark. I haven't had any luck with the redbone coonhounds. They decided to crap inside right in front of the main door even though they could have gone outside. They have been chewing stuff and driving me crazy. The male yelps like he's being murdered if someone even looks at him funny.

I went to meet my friend at the gas station to spot him enough $ until he gets his next paycheck. Filled up my own truck and then went to TSC to get sweet feed for the cows. They were very happy about that.

Not doing much else and can't concentrate enough to respond to other posts I read bc I can't keep them all straight of who said what (other than the bit about the land shark dog).

Should be getting some sleep soon.

View attachment 87112Had to take care of a little something before leaving for work! This guy was stretch out across the front porch! I know it's a "good" snake, but not when it's on the porch! Managed to get him to the driveway to kill it, didn't want to clean blood off the porch!
What kind of snake is that?

These get pretty darn big! If they are near the house they die!
Ours tend to be a little lighter colored with darker markings. At a glance they look very much like a timber rattler. The smaller ones will coil up and shake their tails like a rattler too, sometimes. The big old ones are pretty docile though. My daughter caught one about a foot long a couple weeks ago and was playing with it, and it bit her mom...😁

Ours tend to be a little lighter colored with darker markings. At a glance they look very much like a timber rattler. The smaller ones will coil up and shake their tails like a rattler too, sometimes. The big old ones are pretty docile though. My daughter caught one about a foot long a couple weeks ago and was playing with it, and it bit her mom...😁
These big black ones easily make 8'. We have corn snakes/rat snakes that are lighter with dark markings. I learned to always bring two killing implements for the big tough ones! I usually have a scraper, like in the picture and a pointy weed popper!

These big black ones easily make 8'. We have corn snakes/rat snakes that are lighter with dark markings. I learned to always bring two killing implements for the big tough ones! I usually have a scraper, like in the picture and a pointy weed popper!
When I was in high school one of the guys in my biology class caught one about 30 inches long. We put it in an aquarium in the classroom and named it Leroy. Leroy got very tame and could be handled, and would go up one arm and down the other. He was lazy though. We put a live mouse in with him to see him kill and eat it. The mouse jumped on the back of his head and started biting him. So we had to rescue Leroy from his food! That day we decided that Leroy was a defective snake...

View attachment 87112Had to take care of a little something before leaving for work! This guy was stretch out across the front porch! I know it's a "good" snake, but not when it's on the porch! Managed to get him to the driveway to kill it, didn't want to clean blood off the porch!
You're lucky.. if my wife saw that on the porch you would be cleaning up a lot more than blood... And the snake would have raced away frightened by all the screaming!!!

Today is pension day and I had it all planned out to the last detail all ready for an early start!
Then I jumped in the car and NOTHING!
I though my key fob had gone flat but nope. It's the car battery.
*huge sigh*
Drag out the battery charger and the extension leads pop the bonnet, hook it up, turn it on and wait.
Yes, I know, I know, I know that I don't need a early morning flying start because I don't work anymore...
buttttt.....I prefer a early start to pension/ shopping day.
All the crackheads are still sleeping it off and won't be hanging around the doorways of the shopping center trying to grift this time of the morning.

A busy week, making tinctures almost daily. Have another 4 or 5 species I need to harvest this week.

Had to run to town for a few items including potting soil. On the way back I took a detour. I’ve been scouting new territory. I hunt plants over a 200sq mile area. This year I’m expanding into 2 new areas, another 120sq miles.

Last week I found a new watershed with yellowroot. Today I found a big patch of Joe Pye weed! I've been needing a good stone breaker plant in my arsenal. I’ll harvest the joe pye in August.

I’m done with the garden for now, getting the last of my porch plants set out today. I still have to hang the sun shade cloths.

Back