What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At Church, they voted to sell the building. Not unexpected, but sad.
Open kettled 9 quarts and 1 pint of squash pickles. I grew everything but the onions this time.
Have church numbers declined? I see many churches that eventually close their doors and disband. I began attending a small church about a year and a half ago. It used to have two Sunday services. Now a typical Sunday service is about 30 people. I do know the numbers are actually growing there. A new dynamic minister almost two years ago has made a big difference. People are coming over from other churches, sister churches where they attend an early service and then to our 10:00 service.

Picked up my boys for the weekend. Relaxed at home yesterday and had friends over for BBQ, celebrated my youngest's 12th birthday last night, cake and ice cream after dinner. Today we went to see Maverick. Six of us so $60+ for tickets and probably over $20 for 2 drinks for my boys and a large popcorn to share. My GF paid for that and I wasn't gonna ask the price because it isn't worth what they charge but the kids were happy. The movie was OK, but dang Tom Cruise sure had his face stretched a bunch and he doesn't look the same anymore. Overall it was a good family day. First movie I have been to in about 3 or 4 years, probably be that long before I go again.

DrJenner, hopefully you'll be able to move the RV in soon. Sorry to hear about the people who parked too close and got mad when you opened your door. When I was in college the parking spaces were so tiny that I had to take the pillow I used for lumbar support out and put it between my door and the next vehicle to avoid door dings.

I went grocery shopping and spotted my friend some gas (I paid for the gas as he filled it up) and got him some groceries. They don't have food stamps right now bc his gf's workplace refused to sign the paperwork to say she needed them after they fired her for missing work bc she got sent to the hospital in an ambulance when she collapsed at work. They were the ones who called the ambulance but considered her "unexcused". She interviewed for another job but they admitted to her they aren't really hiring but they are required to interview people and pretend they are hiring. They are actually cutting people's hours.

TV isn't working for some reason. Flashed a red light repeatedly when trying to turn it on but now there is no light at all. Not sure what is wrong and I can't reach the plug.

Went to church with my girls late a.m., friend gave me some Texas blueberries. Napped. Eating leftovers. Took care of wild birds. Contacted sisters.
@Bacpacker that's a lot of traveling in two days. Good you live close enough to be able to drive it.
Gas prices came down a little to $4.75 for the "cheap" stuff. Glad I have a shorter commute than most. The prices will jump up again for the holiday most likely.

Went to church with my girls late a.m., friend gave me some Texas blueberries. Napped. Eating leftovers. Took care of wild birds. Contacted sisters.
@Bacpacker that's a lot of traveling in two days. Good you live close enough to be able to drive it.
Gas prices came down a little to $4.75 for the "cheap" stuff. Glad I have a shorter commute than most. The prices will jump up again for the holiday most likely.
BIL had it worse. Friday was 9-10 hours to our house, 6 hours yesterday, and another 9 today. I bet his butt is flat by now

Jeez, makes me glad I'm a homebody in my dotage, lol... ;)

Got that traveling bug all worked out in past decades, now I'm gonna hunker down in the boondocks, lol. :rolleyes:

Made progress on the decorating today, my home is really starting to feel like home again! :)

Can't wait till I have all my posters and artwork on the walls, in a way they define me and my past... good memories!!! :cool:

Already walked and watered garden.
Already started laundry.
May hit Dollar General for a couple of items.
Have some business calls to make.
Will water again tonight.
Really easy Monday!

@Weedygarden , Yes, numbers are declining. Unfortunately is is mostly due to disagreements with the new staff. Like the pastor using the parking lot for a used car sales lot. That is one of many reasons.

Last edited:
More decorating today, we have a 60% chance of T-storms this afternoon & evening, so I'm just gonna hang out here on the property again. Sprayed the metal shop building earlier, using 'Spider Killer' from the Depot... I don't like using poison on my property, but in the high desert it is sometimes necessary. I just sprayed a bit around the base of the building interior, where the metal meets the concrete slab... that should solve the spider problem. Ants are another pest here in the Southwest, ya gotta knock 'em down or they'll overrun the property. I don't mind the little ones that do their own thing in a small area of the yard, but the fire ants & those large black & red numbers here in NM can be a problem, since they can and will overrun a property. I don't like killing things unnecessarily, especially when they're just following their instincts as nature intended, but the big ants and the nasty spiders gotta go... :oops:

What the hell is "Juneteenth" and why is my bank closed because of it?! I ran over a kitten on the way back in damn it! Now I got to bury him!
When they adopt a holiday, we need warning damn it! Now my day is shot and I wasted 5$ of gas!
It's not the "teenth" of anything anymore, what the f? Did Biden do this?

Last edited:
What the hell is "Juneteenth" and why is my bank closed because of it?! I ran over a kitten on the way out damn it! Now I got to bury him!
When they adopt a holiday, we need warning damn it! Now my day is shot and I wasted 5$ of gas!
It's not the "teenth" of anything anymore, what the f? Did Biden do this?
The day was first recognized as a federal holiday in June 2021, when President Joe Biden signed the Juneteenth National Independence Day Act into law.[8][9] The Juneteenth flag is a symbol of the Juneteenth holiday.

Another pointless race based holiday... why isn't at least on a "teenth" of the month?
I gotta bury a cat over this stupid crap. call it "Emancipation" day so us ignorant hicks know what it is!

Had a nice evening with the family last night, the 3 kids who still live close all came over and they made tacos for dinner and we played one of my presents, an update of the video game Myst on our big TV. It's amazing the improvements they have made, you can now see individual blades of grass moving in the breeze! Today it's back to the "salt mines" AKA managing IT/computers for a concrete precaster. Tonight I have a to-do list as long as my arm, we'll see how much of it I feel motivated to knock out :)

The day was first recognized as a federal holiday in June 2021, when President Joe Biden signed the Juneteenth National Independence Day Act into law.[8][9] The Juneteenth flag is a symbol of the Juneteenth holiday.
This feels like it needs a "confused" response option. My DIL who works for a bank has the day off, but everyone else is at work like normal. It is the stupidest holiday name I've ever hear of!

@Magus Nobody but the black community knew much about it and I asked a friend of mine who is part of that community and she said her family has always celebrated it much like July 4th. It is a happy day for them but I don't suppose majority here would know anything about it since we're not of that race. Obummer didn't set into federal law, maybe because he knew nothing of it either, wasn't celebrated in his household? History didn't teach it. It was brought to Galveston on June 19, 1865, and a big deal made out of it then, proclaiming freedom to people in Texas who were enslaved. I think that is a pretty big deal.
Why is your bank closed? Because officially June 19th but it was on a Sunday this year and being a Federal Holiday meant it gets recognized on a business day. Most local government offices in Texas are not closed today.

Had a nice evening with the family last night, the 3 kids who still live close all came over and they made tacos for dinner and we played one of my presents, an update of the video game Myst on our big TV. It's amazing the improvements they have made, you can now see individual blades of grass moving in the breeze! Today it's back to the "salt mines" AKA managing IT/computers for a concrete precaster. Tonight I have a to-do list as long as my arm, we'll see how much of it I feel motivated to knock out :)
What platform/version did you try? Hard to believe it's been almost 30 years since I played MYST for the first time.

Latest posts

Back