What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the amish bulk store in the other town and got some used buckets and lids, and red wheat berries (50 cents a lb). On to the Kroger Store for their rib and steak special. Then to Aldi to fill a cart. Then to Walmart for whole chickens and corn on the cob. Came home to chicks hatching in the incubator. There's two fluffy butts so far. So cute.

What's everybody doing today?
Me? Freaking out. gaah
We have hundreds of mockingbirds that yap nonstop all day, and all night.
They were all going wide open this afternoon. And they never stop, even going wide-open past 2:am every night.
....Until tonight.
Nothing but crickets out there.:confused: Eerie!!!
Who/what could have told
all of them to shut-up at the same time?
One or two, or twenty... maybe, but all of 'em, no way!!!o_O
It happened again.
I figured it out, it's definitely the hoot-owl. :)
As much as everytime I go outside, I always mutter: "Can't y'all just shuttup!"...
The silence is deafening! :eyeballs:

"Business" lunch with the group I used to work with. 4 retirees and one "young un" still working. We do it 4-5 times year, it's always fun to catch up. 3 of us are completey retired, 1 is still consulting, and the young un is still working :p

Milestone birthday today, the Big 6-0, so no home rehab work! Gonna water the trees & plants in a moment, the melon and hot pepper plants seem to be doing well, same as the weed plants. Might take a cruise later, might just relax here at home, dunno yet... looks like a nice sunny day, but frankly, I wish it were raining, lol. Rain would be an excellent birthday gift! I see cold beer in my near future, maybe even a shot or two... Cheers!!! 🍺

Milestone birthday today, the Big 6-0, so no home rehab work! Gonna water the trees & plants in a moment, the melon and hot pepper plants seem to be doing well, same as the weed plants. Might take a cruise later, might just relax here at home, dunno yet... looks like a nice sunny day, but frankly, I wish it were raining, lol. Rain would be an excellent birthday gift! I see cold beer in my near future, maybe even a shot or two... Cheers!!! 🍺

Happy Birthday!!! 60 Solar Orbits is nothing to sneeze at!

Milestone birthday today, the Big 6-0
Happy Birthday!!! I have a milestone coming up Sunday.

Walked first with very little enthusiasm, this morning.
Walked dogs.
Going out to harvest in garden, next.
Next make Cowboy Candy and can.
Then finish applying for SS online.
Then work on new bookkeeping app. Friends who were coming this weekend to help, are not coming now. On my own.
That should be more than enough for today!

Happy b-day @Wingnut ! Hope you get some birthday rain soon. We got some yesterday and it's amazing how quickly it greened up our mountains.

Speaking of water, I realized some small leaks in my garden irrigation system weren't that small anymore and with the cost (and preciousness) of water these days decided it needed fixing last night. I suspect it'll have a decent impact - I'll hook a hose with sprinklers up to the end of the system for dry spots in my yard. Before the repairs, the sprinklers were only going 4-6" high, now they are going 18" so I know I'm rescuing a good bit of water pressure!

The quail chicks will be old enough (3 weeks) to go outside tomorrow, which is great because they are starting to turn a fresh layer of woodchips fragrant in a couple of days now, and I'm starting to get sick of my home office smelling like a barn. That means it's time to cull the oldest ones to make room for the new, and as old as I let them get they'll get canned up as emergency cat food.

I put another dozen chicken eggs in the incubator, thinking I'll get 4-6 if my hatch rate remains the same. I suspect I may end up with a bunch more and if so I'll have to figure out if I just sell them off or raise them up until they are big enough for the freezer.

Milestone birthday here today too.........youngest son turns 21. He has to work today and tomorrow too, so nothing too crazy. He already had his 'crazy' when #2 turned 21 a couple years ago and was sick for three days after. His own fault since he didn't listen to my warnings. Anyway, tonight the plan is to take him to a bar and play some pool & darts, just so he can say he's bene there/done that...........we'll see how that goes LOL

In the meantime, I need to get some work done, not sure what yet, but something

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Happy Birthday!!! I have a milestone coming up Sunday.

Walked first with very little enthusiasm, this morning.
Walked dogs.
Going out to harvest in garden, next.
Next make Cowboy Candy and can.
Then finish applying for SS online.
Then work on new bookkeeping app. Friends who were coming this weekend to help, are not coming now. On my own.
That should be more than enough for today!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY in advance Snappy!!😃♥️

Had to go to dept of licensing to get tabs for a few rigs and title ect for new rig "Frank-ford"
At some point today, I should be hearing from heating/AC place. About a week ago, I smelled something, went down to the basement and there was standing water. There is an illy blocked window so I thought when I watered the strawberries, it might have been running in. I dug outside around the window to make sure. A few days later still puddles in the basement. I put in a service request. They said the condensation drain can get blocked - great. One more reason I don't like all this electrical stuff.

Happy big 60 bday, Wingnut. We were born the same year!
Picked up the meat chicks from the post office, so that dining room brooder is full. I think 25 of them. They are pigging out already. More of the regular variety are hatching, 14 total so far. So there's that brooder. And the turkey babies are in two brooders. They need to go to the milkhouse. Went salvage store bin shopping, lots of good buys. Then to moms to visit for awhile, and say hi to the other 6 residents. Brought the nurses some eggs. She was a little agitated today, said she was bored, wanted me to take her home, but she'd only be happy here a little while and I would have to drive her back. Told her I'd pick her up Monday for dinner and fireworks. Have a floor full of dry goods to put away. Granddaughter is happy she got in more driving time today...Wants to get her license. Had her stop at the gas station and she pumped the gas. Our unmanned station in our little town is really old school pumps. So now she knows.

Thank y'all for the birthday wishes! After watering all the trees & plants (quality time in the yard with the birds & the bees), I spent two hours cleaning & detailing the big ol' thumper. I like working on motorbikes, not only is there a Zen aspect to it, but it gives a rider the chance to closely inspect the bike and see if any problems exist. I took a spin round the 'hood, just a little 3-mile triangle out to the highway, down one exit, and back to the house via the scenic route. Wanted to make sure the battery was still strong, which it was, the bike fired right up first try, lol... that's the way I like my bikes to start, and this big ol' KLR 650 has electric start too, no breaking my leg with wicked compression on a kickstarter, lol. :oops:

Now, I could have ridden up to Silver Lake today, that was actually my plan, but here's the rub: while I was camping in Whetstone, AZ, with all my stuff in storage, and AFTER I locked into buying THIS home, I went on a spending spree and bought the bike, all kinds of cool accessories, etc. I also threw down money for some mods on the bike, plus a new front tire (dual sport knobby). Sierra Cycles in Sierra Vista, AZ, didn't have any Dunlop tires in stock... not to fit my front wheel, anyway. And I'm a Dunlop kinda guy when it comes to cycle tires, I like Dunlops and they've never given me any problems. But since the shop had no Dunlops for my bike's front wheel, I went ahead and had 'em put on a new Continental tire. :rolleyes:

Fast forward a few months, and I'm still dealing with home rehab, haven't ridden the bike much, too busy dealing with other BS, right? Well, in comes an email from Continental saying that there's a safety recall in effect. I jot down the numbers, check my bike, and long story short, the "new Continental tire" is one of those slated for recall. I just learned this within the past week. So today, I ask myself: "Gee, the tire LOOKS okay for a ride to the mountains, but do I really wanna DIE on my 60th birthday when the tire blows & washes out on a hairpin mountain curve, with my dumped bike sliding in front of an oncoming truck?" The answer is: "Er, no thanks, I'll take Option 2 for $500, Alex!!!" BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Damn. :confused:

So I rolled the detailed bike back into the shed, covered it with the brand-new deluxe cover I should've put on it months ago, and now I'll wait for word from Continental about where to have them swap out my tire in Alamogordo. Might be one of those supply chain issues too, taking the fools MONTHS to correct the problem. This is why I usually buy Dunlop tires, lol, but at the time I only had one choice, and I didn't know whether any cycle shops in Alamogordo would have a tire to suit my bike, so I went ahead with the cheesy Continental number, pfffffffft. Meh, it seemed like the right choice at the time, and I figured I'd swap it out early once I put some wear on it, lol. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen, thanks to the recall. :mad:

No big deal, I plan on celebrating my birthday by visiting Silver Lake & Ruidoso Downs this weekend, I'll just take the car instead. I've been meaning to get up there to check out the lake, and watch the horse races at the track, I'll just combine the two destinations this weekend, might even be tomorrow if the lake is open, and I think it is. I'll still celebrate my birthday today, probably by going bowling, catching that latest dinosaur flick if it's out, and visiting the pool hall on my way home. The bowling alley is next door to the theater here in Alamo, and all that is only 10 minutes from my home. Sounds like a good way to spend my birthday, knowing that there will be more celebration in days ahead. Let me explain that to y'all... 🙃

Traditionally, the days between my birthday & July 4th have been one nonstop party, with friends stopping in throughout the time frame and joining me in my celebration. Now I live in the boondocks out in the high desert, and those good friends who are still alive happen to live elsewhere, so it devolves upon me to meet new friends if I want company at this time o' year. I intend to get out of the house and off the property to celebrate today, knowing that I'll be heading to the mountains tomorrow or this weekend to further celebrate my birthday, lol. Oh, yeah, the Mescalero rodeo is also happening this holiday weekend, and I would like to attend that for at least one day, which means perhaps two trips to the mountains, lol. Works for me!!! 🤪

Anyway, it's time to do some leg work on the web, just to coordinate all this birthday celebration I have in mind. I've been too caught up with the home rehab work, despite the slump wherein nothing happened for awhile, and it's time to get back to what really matters in life: having a good time! I did knock out most of the interior decorating in the rooms which are already finished, so I'm looking at painting the kitchen & bathrooms AFTER the 4th of July holiday, lol. I'd like to work on the front porch as well, but that may wait until cooler weather arrives... which will give me at least two months to roll through those painting projects, lol. Maybe three months, ya never know about these things. But for now, I have a good time!!! :fun fun:

I did work on that wooden paneled wall with the flag chart on it, but I'm not sure whether I'll make further modifications. I'm the kinda guy who likes my home neat & orderly, and I also like 'symmetry' in my home decor... my original intention was to surround the flag chart with old school sailing photos from a calendar way back in the day, but due to the presence of a trim strip on the wooden wall, my plan went south. I now have skinnier photos on one side of the chart, thanks to that stupid trim strip, and I don't really like the uneven look. Part of me says, "Meh, we're living in an imperfect world!" But another part says, "F___ that, do it right!" No matter what happens, the nautical photos are still primo, lol... here they are:

IMG_7727.JPG

IMG_7732.JPG

IMG_7733.JPG

IMG_7730.JPG

IMG_7728.JPG

IMG_7734.JPG

IMG_7729.JPG

Nice tacking duel shot in that last pic, and the others don't suck either, lol, but y'all see what I mean with the gimpy Long John Silver side all whittled down? I think I'm gonna redo that wall so there's more "decor equality" [leftist libtard phrase I just coined, lol]. I want more balance to the photos on each side, though the overall nautical effect is exactly what I seek in this endeavor. I think the sailing shots go well with the flag chart, aye? I just have to balance out the decor, same way I'd want decent trim aboard a boat, lol... meh, I have a feeling I'll be peeling some photos and repositioning them once I figure out how I want the wall to look. Now, here are a few quick pics of my riding gear for the big ol' thumper, lol:

IMG_7741.JPG

IMG_7742.JPG

IMG_7744.JPG

I didn't bother removing the hangers, the fully-armored riding suit hangs in a large wardrobe or closet devoted entirely to outdoor adventure gear, lol. Nice suit, it's just a bit warm in summer if you aren't moving... like the suit, my boots & riding helmet fit me perfectly. The visor on the helmet is doable since I have a fairing or windshield on the bike, and I always liked the visor on this type of helmet, same goes for the top-shelf goggles I bought. I couldn't find a decent helmet with a built-in visor, so I opted for this HJC number & goggles, they work fine in light of my riding style, which includes offroad thrashing. I like being able to tilt that visor to block the sun while I'm negotiating tricky trail sections, lol. CHEERS!!! 🍺

I'M OFF TO PAR-TAY, MIGHT BE TIME FOR A 'CANNONBALL FREIGHT TRAIN' BONG HIT: THAT'S WHERE YA TAKE A BONG HIT, HOLD IT AS YA TAKE A SHOT, THEN EXHALE THE HIT, LOL... IT'LL DO A NUMBER ON YA!!! :dancing:

I took the backhoe off my tractor, so I could cut the field & till new beds for fall planting. That my son standing at the front of the L47 Kubota tractor & I am the old fat guy sitting down.
1656617062792.png

I have to get ready for work ok...i n a few. Should be interesting next two days as we are really short staffed more than usual.
The debarker operator might have to jump in between running that, getting the big wood side full of logs, shutting down to go run the pony after.
I just hope it's slow. I've been busting my butt all week between breakdowns n getting buried I barely take breaks just to not run out of bins. On top my hydraulics keep shutting off often mid layer screwing it all up. I think the pump is going out.
Gah...

I finished up weeding the raspberries which is good. I grope I did more good than harm because raspberries have shallow have shallow root system.

While working I managed to break the clip for my phone case. This is the third one and this one only lasted 17 days! Rather than get another one I decided to try and fix it and reinforce the clip to see if it can be done.

20220630_171407_HDR.jpg

Added an old Allen wrench using super glue across the break. If it a least slows down the rate at which I break the clip it is worth trying. Otherwise I am looking at $250 a year to replace the case. Worth a try.

Ben

Whew... more of a party day here, but I got on the web and sent some emails and I have an exciting holiday weekend ahead! The Mescalero Apache Tribe is holding a 4-day rodeo, and Ruidoso Downs is holding its standard weekend horse races, so I'll be attending those events. I'd like to see the bronc busting & bull riding, if there is any bull riding... the ladies' barrel racing events are cool too, those gals can FLY on those horses, and the roundabout turns they make are amazing! I dug watching the rodeos in Arizona, those bronc busters & bull riders are tough b@stards! The ladies are more about style & finesse, and their Western finery is heller cool too! :cool:

Some of those Western outfits are worth bucks, lol... all that silver & turquoise & tooled leather & whatnot. But for me, its all about the tradition, ya know? The history of it, which is worth more than ANY amount of money. But if prize money draws the best riders, then sweeten the pot, lol... at my age, it's best to remain a spectator, since rodeo is definitely a younger man's sport. Younger women too, don't count them out! I remember seeing a guy in his 40s ride a mean bronc in Show Low, but he was a former state champion, hence the advanced age... I hurt my lower back just watching the guy ride, lol, but he stuck with it and earned a high score too! Crazy b@stard was tougher than a dollar steak, lol... :oops:

Anyway, I'm just relaxing at the ol' hacienda tonight, never did make it off the property today, lol... but I have the entire holiday weekend to do everything I planned, and all that fun starts tomorrow! I'm thinking Silver Lake & Ruidoso Downs, that would make for a good day and leave me with the easier run to Mescalero later this weekend. I didn't mind hanging out here with the cats today, this property is very quiet and peaceful... every now and then some neighbor will rev a vehicle while working on it, but that never lasts long and the sound doesn't bother me, lol. I do my own share of engine revving, 10-4? So I don't mind that occasional noise, same way I don't mind USAF fighter jets which pass high overhead now and then... :rolleyes:

Think I'll watch a Western tonight, just to get in the mood for rodeo action, lol... that's one thing about living in the Southwest, the rodeo action is authentic and it smacks of Western history. Some of my neighbors actually have horses, but I can't afford to keep one here, even though I have the room. Maybe some goats & chickens later, lol... those would be more my speed. Gotta watch those pesky 'chicken rustlers'---they'll cut yer herd, er, I mean flock, and you'll wind up broke, lol. Goldurned chicken rustlers!!! The scourge of this Biden Economy, lol. Maybe I'll place some Claymore Mines out there by the coops, keep a clacker handy to detonate 'em as the rustlers move in, lol. KA-BOOM!!! End of chicken rustlers... :Dancing Chicken:

Y'ALL BE GOOD, I'M OFF TO WATCH A MOVIE... NOT A BAD DAY OVERALL, AYE? CHEERS!!! 🍺

Last edited:
Going to work😮!! Hubby will be home on puppy duty. He has inside jobs today so he won't leave until I get home. Got everything (flora and fauna) watered and fed. Hopefully a nice afternoon, nap and pool! Got Bear a pool (made for rough dog use) for his front yard. He REALLY loves it. His front yard is under a big oak about 50' from my pool. He can be near me and have fun!! Hope everyone has a nice day!!

I'm off today, but I have some work to do because stuff happens. I am expecting about 4 deliveries today, some require a signature so I am tied to the house. I watered all the plants this morning and cleaned out emitters on 1 line. I need to go around and identify all the emitters that need repair so I can fix them all without getting an extra shower.

I have lots planned but I'm not sure how far I will bet before I am lost to the TV. It's a monster, it calls to me, and then it sucks out my brain and eats up my time.

I'm off today, but I have some work to do because stuff happens. I am expecting about 4 deliveries today, some require a signature so I am tied to the house. I watered all the plants this morning and cleaned out emitters on 1 line. I need to go around and identify all the emitters that need repair so I can fix them all without getting an extra shower.

I have lots planned but I'm not sure how far I will bet before I am lost to the TV. It's a monster, it calls to me, and then it sucks out my brain and eats up my time.

You must get way better stations than i do :)

I'm getting caught up here while it's quiet at work. I didn't have time to check in while I was in FL sweating my butt off.

I have to leave work early to bring my dog to the vet as an 'emergency'. We think he has Lyme, he's been lethargic, not acting like himself and not really eating, even when I give him people food. He's down to 12 lbs from 15-16. So I don't want to wait for a reg appt cuz that wouldn't be until August. :(

Had to go to dept of licensing to get tabs for a few rigs and title ect for new rig "Frank-ford"
At some point today, I should be hearing from heating/AC place. About a week ago, I smelled something, went down to the basement and there was standing water...

A few days later still puddles in the basement. I put in a service request. They said the condensation drain can get blocked - great.

Drip pan drains do clog up… and cause nightmares for engineers. Did it to me! I had a CT that used large magnetic coils to control a beam of electrons the size of a nickle (used to produce x-rays). Any other fluctuating magnetic field within 100ft caused problems, normal.

There was a 20ton Leibert industrial AC in the equipment room that had a drip pan to catch condensation from the coils. The AC service guy did maintenance every 4 months. The drain for his drip pan would slowly clog, slowly filling up the very large drip pan with water. Mineralized water… which had it’s own magnet field that I didn’t know about. I didn’t even know there was a drip pan or drain, it was enclosed.

As the pan slowly filled with water it’s magnetic field grew stronger each week…. And began interacting with the magnetic coils of my catscan 4ft away. For weekly maintenance I tuned the CT’s magnetic coils.

It happened 3 times in one year, The AC service guy drained out all the water from the drip pan… which caused it’s large magnetic field to vanish. This caused my CT to be unusable. It was a 18hr job to retune my magnetic coils and calibrate the system. Patients had to be rescheduled, a mess. No body was happy with a broken CT or me and I had no clue as to the cause.

The last time it happened the ct technologist was there. The drip pan over flowed so the AC guy was called. Before he left the CT could no longer scan patients… The tech called me and I learned there was a drip pan and about it's drain. At least I solved the riddle. On my bizarre problem list this was in the top 5.

It took a year and a few sleepless nights to figure out what was happening to the magnetic coils of my CT. And cost the hospital thousands in revenue, Darn drip pan drains!

No plans but critter maintenance today, top off water tanks and feed bins.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back