What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the new to us boat out today. Had a few hiccups early on but we figured it out before long. The starter battery needs to be replaced, it wouldn't start the engine even though DH charged it up this morning. But we anticipated that and brought an extra battery, which started the motor no problem. We cruised around a bit, I tried driving the boat, it's not hard but I need to learn how to drive it up the trailer so was getting a feel for how it handles. Then we decided to fish a little bit and I was not paying attention as I was reaching to get the poles and stabbed my finger on a big hook. But the barb didn't go in so it was fine, just wiped it and put a bandaid on. Also I can laugh now but when DH made his first cast, on the back swing his lure hit me in the side of the face. lol Thankfully it was a weedless rig so the hook wasn't exposed, otherwise I might have lost part of my ear.

I learned to use the trolling motor on the bow, I'm still not super comfortable with it, I'm afraid to get too close to shore in case the wind blows the boat and we hit ground. We had wake from a jerk boat slam our small boat into the shore so hard it slammed our motor off so I'm a little nervous. But I'll get better and more comfortable with it over time. We caught a couple fish, I got a bass on my new ultralight, I'll post a pic in the Photo thread. So it was good day, tired now, bed soon. 😴

Took a load to the dump. Picked up diseil at Co-Op $46 for 10 gallons. Mowed all afternoon. Harvested Shallots and onions. Cleaned up early onions and got them in the house cooling down.
You say you mowed, but what we really want to know is did you weed-eat? :waiting:
Glad you are giving the kitties a good home!! Hope you get some pics soon! Keep us updated as they settle in to their new lives!!😊
Pearl, you lost your tan. I hardly recognized you!
Dad finished the shelves in the pantry under the stairs. And I spent the morning putting all the jars back on the shelves. At least they’re in a nice organized fashion now and I can see what I have and what I don’t have. Also getting ready to send him up to the cabin. He feels he can eat soft mushy foods up there just as well as here. He got the impressions for his temporary teeth but they won’t be ready for at least a week and a half. So I get a week semi-vacation.
It's amazing how nice organized shelves are. You don't really realize how bothersome it is until you straighten them and realize how nice they are 😂
Darn horse bit me! a$$hle! He and the donkey were out in the garden this morning. Getting them up is easy, I just call them and head for a gate, any gate. They'll follow along.

Sometimes if I'm busy with my hands and the horse walks up behind me and I don't notice him... He'll take a chunk out of my back with his teeth, its been a couple years since the last time. Today I was busy trying to get the gate open and didn't notice him. He brought the blood, jerk, more of a nip than a bite but he knows better.

The donkey is sweet, he'll walk up behind me and lay his head over my shoulder, trying to see what I'm doing... or just to say hi. The horse is sweet but an attention whore, has to have my attention. He's not mean, just annoying sometimes.

I never found where they got out, I checked all the fences within 200yrds of the barn. Oh, well. Guess they be getting out until I back trail them.

Running the dehydrator today, drying basil. The tree guy said he'd call today, haven't heard from him. Guess I need to find a new tree guy, once he pulled a no-show and now a no-call. I need to finish the chicken pen rebuild. I need those trees down today.
Ouch! Have you seen the size of horse teeth lately? That had to have hurt.
Took the new to us boat out today. Had a few hiccups early on but we figured it out before long. The starter battery needs to be replaced, it wouldn't start the engine even though DH charged it up this morning. But we anticipated that and brought an extra battery, which started the motor no problem. We cruised around a bit, I tried driving the boat, it's not hard but I need to learn how to drive it up the trailer so was getting a feel for how it handles. Then we decided to fish a little bit and I was not paying attention as I was reaching to get the poles and stabbed my finger on a big hook. But the barb didn't go in so it was fine, just wiped it and put a bandaid on. Also I can laugh now but when DH made his first cast, on the back swing his lure hit me in the side of the face. lol Thankfully it was a weedless rig so the hook wasn't exposed, otherwise I might have lost part of my ear.

I learned to use the trolling motor on the bow, I'm still not super comfortable with it, I'm afraid to get too close to shore in case the wind blows the boat and we hit ground. We had wake from a jerk boat slam our small boat into the shore so hard it slammed our motor off so I'm a little nervous. But I'll get better and more comfortable with it over time. We caught a couple fish, I got a bass on my new ultralight, I'll post a pic in the Photo thread. So it was good day, tired now, bed soon. 😴
Sounds like you need a hard hat and gloves to go fishing 😂 Glad you had fun with the boat though. Great weather to be on the water (here at least).

Have still been on the run so popping in trying to catch up for a minute before I go get in the shower. So I got everything out of the little trailer which from the sounds of it was a kin to @Spikedriver 's rig 😂 Only what is necessary is going in the new one. The verdict when I mentioned getting the old one ready to sell since I believe sooner would be better than waiting until our dollar is worth even less and folks are even more strapped, was that Hubby didn't want to sell it either. We don't have room to be a parking lot. My folks have liked it but they can't afford what we would need to sell it. We came up with an idea. We called and asked if they wanted her (the trailer's name is Mrs. Calabash and license plate Durante). They asked how much and I said nothing she's not for sale. He asked how much tags etc. were. I said I just got them a couple months ago and no transfer title so no new tags. Two new batteries right before we last used her about a month ago. I got her all cleaned up and they came and got her this evening. They are tickled pink. I have a lot of "things" to deal with but I was able to leave towels, sheets, and a few other things in there since it's them and not a stranger. Evidently Pa told Hubby they might take it down to see my brother next weekend. Got a text while they were still driving to say he said it was like pulling a two horse trailer. Their last trailer was 23' and tall. I realize this is a little long, but I'm happy for them and happy for us.
Went to church mid-day, then lunch with Hubby and finally sitting.
Oh and made Hubby his homemade icecream to go with the blackberries we picked yesterday.

@Peanut I would have real trouble with a biting horse. I don't even like a horse to get in arms length of me unless I tell it to. I've been nipped, stepped on, and smashed against too many walls and fences, too many times. I know a lot of people disagree with my opinion of how a horse should act when I'm on the ground. I used to carry a 3 or 4 foot piece of cord with some kind of weight on the end when I was in with horses and I'd spin it when they got too close. That usually backed them up, and if not they got the weighted end on the butt.

I took my daughter back to her mom. She's going to get her driver's license tomorrow but I'll have to miss it because I'll be heading to Nebraska. This year I've been feeling like I'm missing out on my daughter's life. I don't know if it's me, or if it's just a natural part of raising a kid. But whatever it is, I don't like it...

You say you mowed, but what we really want to know is did you weed-eat? :waiting:

It's amazing how nice organized shelves are. You don't really realize how bothersome it is until you straighten them and realize how nice they are 😂

Sounds like you need a hard hat and gloves to go fishing 😂 Glad you had fun with the boat though. Great weather to be on the water (here at least).
My a$$ isn't tan😁😉

@Peanut I would have real trouble with a biting horse. I don't even like a horse to get in arms length of me unless I tell it to. I've been nipped, stepped on, and smashed against too many walls and fences, too many times. I know a lot of people disagree with my opinion of how a horse should act when I'm on the ground. I used to carry a 3 or 4 foot piece of cord with some kind of weight on the end when I was in with horses and I'd spin it when they got too close. That usually backed them up, and if not they got the weighted end on the butt.

I took my daughter back to her mom. She's going to get her driver's license tomorrow but I'll have to miss it because I'll be heading to Nebraska. This year I've been feeling like I'm missing out on my daughter's life. I don't know if it's me, or if it's just a natural part of raising a kid. But whatever it is, I don't like it...
You are a GREAT dad!!

Had a nice slow restful weekend. It rained on and off all weekend, so we're still putting party decorations away when we find some that are dried out - but that and taking care of the animals was all I did. Between rest, keeping off of "screens" and books and doing some painful neck stretches the Dr. prescribed the concussion is doing better.

Taking my better 1/2 in for her 2nd round of oral surgery today. Hopefully it goes more quickly this time, as she metabolizes novacaine really quickly and had 45 minutes of the last procedure after it had all worn off 😨

You'd prbably never be able to put your hands on the horse again. Critters don't forget hot sticks.
In other words cold cocking his jaw is out of the question too.

No weed eating. But I need too

Weed eating? Pot brownies? What do they call 'em now? Edibles? :rolleyes:

Had an early start this morning after a good night's sleep, so I'm done with yard work, dishes, etc. Made some progress on the cat introductions, but Crackhead is still being a PITA. However, I'm wearing him down, lol... he knows those little kittens are no threat, but I gotta keep working on him till he accepts the inevitable. This program seems to be working, and the kittens haven't really strayed out of the master bedroom & bathroom yet, so there's room for all cats in the home. Tiger & Crackhead are both comfortable with eating on their usual table, right next to the bedroom door... and neither adult cat is showing signs of fear, which is good. I'll keep trying, I don't have any major plans today so I'm gonna stay on the property and monitor these cats & kittens. Still got plenty o' beer in the fridge... ;)

Last edited:
Back.
(Insert a moment of cursing here!)
So I went to the store, I bought half as much as I normally get and paid just as much! The ONE bright spot was the prices of hamburger and ham. No chicken to be had at all hardly, what was there was about like pork in price!
I'm really hating Biden's bend over economy!

Jeez...I've got another "I don't understand women" moment.

Had a date to go to the state fair on Saturday night. It was OK, but the vibe was just off a little bit and we both agreed that we should go our separate ways, no harm done. Now today, I've gotten 4 text messages about, "I'm glad we can be friends, if you ever want to go for a hike again call me, blah blah blah..." Is it that hard to just let someone be when a date doesn't work out? I don't date to find a hiking buddy.🙄

Had a date to go to the state fair on Saturday night. It was OK, but the vibe was just off a little bit and we both agreed that we should go our separate ways, no harm done. Now today, I've gotten 4 text messages about, "I'm glad we can be friends, if you ever want to go for a hike again call me, blah blah blah..." Is it that hard to just let someone be when a date doesn't work out? I don't date to find a hiking buddy.🙄
Sounds like one to stay away from!! Text her your last sentence of your post, maybe she'll figure it out!!

Taking care of one of my young adults today, post wisdom teeth extraction. What a hoot! I guess pain will kick in eventually. Gotta run out and get prescriptions for her.
Baby wrens hanging around on the back deck. Saw baby anole on back door glass, barely an inch long. I guess that means life is returning to Texas.

Taking care of one of my young adults today, post wisdom teeth extraction. What a hoot! I guess pain will kick in eventually. Gotta run out and get prescriptions for her.
Baby wrens hanging around on the back deck. Saw baby anole on back door glass, barely an inch long. I guess that means life is returning to Texas.

Make sure you get a pain pill in her before the numbness wears off, I badgered my son to take one of the prescription ibuprofen after his wisdom teeth removal even though he didn't want to but it really helped. My coworker's son just had his out too and didn't take a pill (prescriptions weren't ready for a couple hours, lazy people) and was in terrible pain. She said she's never seen him like that. Gotta keep in front of the pain for a day or so.

Took wife to the Dr this morning for more x rays on her hand. Cut the cast off, did x-rays, and Dr said her hand had healed back just as expected. He told her somebsruff to do at home and she'll need no PT.
We are thrilled with that. Now to get her flexibility and strength back in the hand.
I am now sitting in a shop getting her windshield replaced. We've waited months for it to come in.

Walked first.
Took jeep in to have 2 new (already bought) tires put on, front end alignment and brakes checked. I'll get it back later this week, I hope.
First 14 quarts of dog food are cooling in the PC. Then will start 2nd batch.
Second load of laundry is in the dryer.
Will pull frozen pears out to thaw this evening and prep and cook them tomorrow to can Wednesday. Tis the season!

I was going to do some cleaning and get my brother to help but he took Mom's car without asking and went to visit a friend. He's only supposed to use her car to go to and from work. She thought he was at work and is a bit ticked that he didn't ask first. Especially since it uses gas and adds more miles to the vehicle and he doesn't pay for the gas. I'm trying to motivate myself to get up and cook now.

Some tiny wasps with the big attitude of swarming murder hornets decided to take up residence under the metal next to the outside door.

Suddenly, yesterday, we were getting buzz bombed and multiple stings every time we went through the door. I spent last night looking for my bee suit in packing boxes. Found it, but a mouse had as well.

Got the suit repaired with armor plating and just finished removing a good chunk of siding. I counter attacked with equal vengeance and am waiting to see who won before I put the siding back.

Son#3 had covid, so we were in somewhat of a lockdown mode to prevent the spread (due to Son#2's hospitalization). Finally he tested negative, and DH never got sick - so they disinfected the house and I am able to go back home!

Son#2 had a close call in his recovery, and due to the covid issue, none of us could be there at the hospital with him. That was hard. REALLY hard. I am grateful to the staff who all stayed on top of his condition and were prepared to take whatever emergency measures were necessary to keep him breathing. The good news is that while he is not out of the woods, his blood counts have continued to rise, which helps all the other issues, and he has now passed the point with the greatest mortality risk.

So we have been scrambling to get the house ready for Son#2's discharge - which is tomorrow! We lost a week and a half with the covid situation, and we already needed all the time we could get! There's still a long road ahead in his recovery - but just being on the other side of the most dangerous points in this procedure... such a huge relief. I am grateful.

Some tiny wasps with the big attitude of swarming murder hornets decided to take up residence under the metal next to the outside door.

Suddenly, yesterday, we were getting buzz bombed and multiple stings every time we went through the door. I spent last night looking for my bee suit in packing boxes. Found it, but a mouse had as well.

Got the suit repaired with armor plating and just finished removing a good chunk of siding. I counter attacked with equal vengeance and am waiting to see who won before I put the siding back.
What a difference a bee keepers veil makes.

I was clearing some old railroad ties when I was attacked by a swarm of yellow jackets.

The next day I was back with my bee keepers garb armed the miracle of modern chemistry. I laughed out loud as the nest came out and bounced off me in a last ditch effort to get me.

I generally let hornets and wasps be because they are predators and good for the garden but when they attack my granddaughters or build in the wrong place it comes down to them or us.

Ben

Dear gods no, not the "Just be friends" thing! It means, "You ain't gonna' you ain't NEVER gonna." borrow a hundred bucks from her and lose her number. I swear to the gods I'd rather be told "It's not working out." Or "My ex called and we're getting back together." hell, I'd rather be told I'm lousy in bed! Any damn thing but that line of BS! Women do more harm trying to be nice than being honest!

I survived a week of The Princess on vacation. Since she is still in the work force vacations become busy weeks to get things done. That often involves me.

The area where I had my grow station is now her window seat. She spent most of yesterday there reading. She is happy with it.

20220815_164527_HDR.jpg

I have started to setup the grow station in what is now called the greenhouse. Got a long way to go. It looks like I will not need any pots or trays for a while.

20220815_164346_HDR.jpg

I installed a threshold under the storm door to close what was a 1" gap.

20220815_164322_HDR.jpg

20220815_164336_HDR.jpg

On Saturday I was informed we needed potatoes. I dug up the purple viking to take care of that need. I also collected some of the ripe elderberries.

20220815_164447_HDR.jpg

There are plenty more still ripening.

20220815_164621_HDR.jpg

My hopes are 5hat there will be enough to try make a bottle of elderberry wine. If not maybe a couple of pies.

Counting my blessings!

Ben

Back