What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It never ends.....
I'm sorry you are having a difficult stretch right now. I hope it turns around soon!
please keep my family in your prayers.
I'm so sorry about your brother's diagnosis! I will be praying for your and your family.

@dademoss , I'm so sorry about Willow! It's a very difficult loss.

Today, walked first and next will walk dogs.
Then ebay photos.
Make and can elderberry syrup.
Weed eat in garden. I am so surprised it is still going. Get okra, assorted ( jalapenos, habaneros, and poblano) peppers, eggplants and there is one watermelon that is good sized.
Fairly easy day!

Foot is sore, dunno why... but I'll limit activity this morning until I figure out what's wrong. I think it rained again last night, so watering will be short, only the essential plants & fruit trees. No weeding today, though another wave of puncturevines is undoubtedly springing forth from the rain-soaked soil... there'll be 5,000 more to deal with when I get around to it. :confused:

Might run to town later, depends upon the status of my fridge, and also my beer supply. Wouldn't mind having a steak or a big ol' burger tonight, I'm burrito'd out though there's enough leftover mix to make one more big ol' burrito, lol. That was a good batch, but it took me a while to work my way through it. Very filling, those homemade chicken burritos... ;)

Otherwise, I'm hangin' with the cats & kittens... looks like glorious weather outside, sunny but not too hot. Guess I'll head out there in a moment, I'm just resting my foot... seems better now, maybe that was just a passing ache or pain. You get older and things get riled for no apparent reason... if you're lucky, they quickly pass. Just the way it is with age... :(

I'm sorry you are having a difficult stretch right now. I hope it turns around soon!

I'm so sorry about your brother's diagnosis! I will be praying for your and your family.

@dademoss , I'm so sorry about Willow! It's a very difficult loss.

Today, walked first and next will walk dogs.
Then ebay photos.
Make and can elderberry syrup.
Weed eat in garden. I am so surprised it is still going. Get okra, assorted ( jalapenos, habaneros, and poblano) peppers, eggplants and there is one watermelon that is good sized.
Fairly easy day!
Oct 1 and 2. In Collins ms, Peanut Festival. Grab your Hubby and check it out. Stop by my booth and say 👋

I had to call the parking clerk for the city of Boston about a parking ticket that wasn't my vehicle. We received the second notice in the mail yesterday, but we haven't been to Boston in several months. And when we looked at the date of the infraction, it was the night we returned home after our drive back from Florida. My car was still in the airport parking garage, we didn't pick it up until the day after, so it was literally impossible for it to get a parking ticket in Boston.

I had all my supporting documents and made the call expecting to have to argue. The lady looked up the ticket, put me on hold for maybe a min then came back and said yeah, someone transposed a number, I can see the correct plate number in the picture and told me we'll receive a dismissal notice in 7-10 days. I hadn't expected it to be that easy. 😆

Other than that, I'm just trying to get through another day at work.

Have some fall weather this morning so I picked a meals worth of sweet corn when I let the chickens out this morning. Trying to let the corn ripen as much as possible but it is time to eat and preserve what we have. Today I have to hang the laying nests i picked up at the farm store. The ladies are acting like they are ready to lay and since they have been free ranging in our backyard/garden area i don't need any hidden nests.

Cooling off after working outside this morning. Animals done. Trimmed up the broken branches and raked up two huge piles to move with the tractor another day. Glad that was the only tree down. Baby chicks are getting bigger, moving in another brooder and splitting them up. More should hatch in a week and a half. Picked a bucket of tomatoes. Took little granddaughter to her school and neighbor girl to hers. Couldn't figure out why neighbor girl was going barefoot to school...seems she takes her shoes off at her desk and then forgets to bring her shoes home. Most of the kids go to church barefoot in this kind of weather anyway, so school wouldn't be much different. Sandwich supper and ice cream social at little granddaughter's grade school tonight, so that'll be a good time.

Last week was tough, wiped me out. I’m not used to running a chainsaw or tractor everyday. Saturday, not even going to go over the stress of that day other than to say I’m worried about dad. He got on a tractor and did something he should never do and would never have done in the past. I’m seriously thinking of taking the keys or mounting kill switches on both tractors. Neither of which will go over well. He literally forgot 2 weeks, everything that happened. He can no longer be trusted with large farm equipment for his own safety.

Then Sunday I had a hard dangerous hike harvesting yellowroot. Exhausting but cathartic at the same time. All in all my most productive week in a year. Major farm maintenance completed and two quarts of tincture was a nice result.

I still have a million things to do on my list, most importantly a grocery run, was out of bacon a couple days ago. I’m down to condiments in the fridge, no food. The freezer is full of meat but cooking requires energy I don’t have.

So far today I haven’t managed to get out of my chair, cfs sucks sometimes, actually all the time. It’ll be a month before I recover from last week. I remember my alarm going off this morning but woke up at 10am. When my body finally says FU… not a good sign, I over did it. Now I get to pay the price of all that activity.

Hope you get to feeling better soon, Peanut. It's hard when you need to start limiting parents. My mom is at that point. First year that I didn't take her to our town's heritage day, but last year wiped me out....husband needs help and is on a walker, and then there's the grandkids. Adding mom to the mix is too much sometimes. She'll ask me three times in Walmart where are we? So now it's Dollar General, because it's a lot smaller store. I never know what she's going to say when we go to a doctor's appt. So far, a picnic at a park seems to be ok for her, but even coming to our place she gets antsy.

It's house cleaning day or as the Navy called it Field Day.
I cleaned the stove top and range hood because I fried bacon and made a mess.
While I was on a cleaning jag I got out the Bartenders Friend and scrubbed the white kitchen sink till it shines.
Used stainless steel cleaner and polish on the refer and dishwasher.
Then my wife got out the rotary mop.
She knows it will hurt her hips and knees so I took it away from her and did it myself.
She didn't put up much of an argument so I know that was her plan all along.
After 52 years and I guess I'm about trained. 😄
It works like floor buffer. Two heads with reusable cloth pads and a push button soap dispenser. The soap leaves a cloudy residue so I just use water and change pads frequently. The pads go in the laundry. If there is a dirty spot I clean it with a rag and very little soap. I mopped all the floors and the cloudy film from the first time I used soap is almost gone. Another time or two and it'll be back to looking new.
It was a couple of hours work but it was worth the effort.

This is the second time for her...

The Princess woke me up and. said " The water heater is leaking. I'm going to work."

The T&P valve was running and the hose I had on there had given up the ghost.

My brother had new valve and I swapped it out first. Then off to Lowes for tubbing and fittings to route the water to the floor drain. All done for now.

I do need to install an expansion tank but I was planning on installing one when I install the new water heater.

I am starting think that I should stop planning what I should do tomorrow until tomorrow gets here. ;)

Ben

It's house cleaning day or as the Navy called it Field Day.
I cleaned the stove top and range hood because I fried bacon and made a mess.
While I was on a cleaning jag I got out the Bartenders Friend and scrubbed the white kitchen sink till it shines.
Used stainless steel cleaner and polish on the refer and dishwasher.
Then my wife got out the rotary mop.
She knows it will hurt her hips and knees so I took it away from her and did it myself.
She didn't put up much of an argument so I know that was her plan all along.
After 52 years and I guess I'm about trained. 😄
It works like floor buffer. Two heads with reusable cloth pads and a push button soap dispenser. The soap leaves a cloudy residue so I just use water and change pads frequently. The pads go in the laundry. If there is a dirty spot I clean it with a rag and very little soap. I mopped all the floors and the cloudy film from the first time I used soap is almost gone. Another time or two and it'll be back to looking new.
It was a couple of hours work but it was worth the effort.
I'm big on steam mops! No residue and really leaves all types of floors ultra clean and looking great!!

Sonya, I'm sorry you had a crappy day & that you still need to get things sorted with a tiller and vehicle. Sending hugs your way.

Bamadeb, I'm very sorry to hear about your brother and the previous loss of your siblings. That is awful! Sending good vibes and hugs your way.

Frodo, I wish I could go to that Ren Faire and see your booth there. I hope to see pictures at least.

Chaosdown, I'm glad you got things sorted easily with the parking ticket thing.

montanabill, I love sweet corn! I hope yours turns out well. We used to grow it here.

Haertig, I hope you get the grass finished and hope you enjoy watching hockey with your friends!

Peanut, I hope you get some rest today and feel better tomorrow. You did get a lot done though so you definitely deserve a rest. I'm sorry to hear about your dad having mental issues and not able to be trusted with the heavy machinery. It's hard to watch parents decline.

Backlash, that was sweet of you to take over mopping for your wife. The rotary mop thing sounds neat.

Ben, I'm glad you got the t&p valve issue fixed. I still need to fix mine properly.

I went to TSC for cow feed, got stuck in traffic on the way to Walmart due to a wreck. Grabbed stuff at Walmart, dropped off stuff at friend's house, fed the cows, and am waiting for Mom to say she's hungry. I also swept the floor in my bathroom. I need to get myself a small broom for it instead of bringing in the kitchen broom.

Sleeping. nothing but sleeping, I can't stay awake to get much of anything done, and when I do wake up, I feel a little crazier!

My brother learned he has pancreatic cancer last stage, he’s so sick, it’s spread to every part , lungs, stomach, everywhere. I’m so broken, he hasn’t told mom,she has really short term memory,she’s 89, please keep my family in your prayers. There were 6 of us, 4 brothers, one sister, The youngest three are gone already, sis was 38and passed of desert storm syndrome, my family is nearly gone, I need to be strong for mom, I really dread telling her.

My prayers are with you, your brother, and the rest of your family.

Prayers to you too Patch

Last week was tough, wiped me out. I’m not used to running a chainsaw or tractor everyday. Saturday, not even going to go over the stress of that day other than to say I’m worried about dad. He got on a tractor and did something he should never do and would never have done in the past. I’m seriously thinking of taking the keys or mounting kill switches on both tractors. Neither of which will go over well. He literally forgot 2 weeks, everything that happened. He can no longer be trusted with large farm equipment for his own safety.

Then Sunday I had a hard dangerous hike harvesting yellowroot. Exhausting but cathartic at the same time. All in all my most productive week in a year. Major farm maintenance completed and two quarts of tincture was a nice result.

I still have a million things to do on my list, most importantly a grocery run, was out of bacon a couple days ago. I’m down to condiments in the fridge, no food. The freezer is full of meat but cooking requires energy I don’t have.

So far today I haven’t managed to get out of my chair, cfs sucks sometimes, actually all the time. It’ll be a month before I recover from last week. I remember my alarm going off this morning but woke up at 10am. When my body finally says FU… not a good sign, I over did it. Now I get to pay the price of all that activity.
I'm sorry to hear about your tough health challenges. I don't have CFS, but this is more true for me as I get older. I have to pace myself.
BIL told me about his father getting stuck out in a field and BIL went looking for him. He was scared and had the realization that it was time to take all the keys away. His father was angry. There were many pieces of farm equipment that he could have gotten on in his quest for transportation. He was widowed and at this point in time the family, his children, needed to take him to one of their homes. He had always worked hard on the farm, so was used to going out and working most of the day. I was living too far away to know all that was going on.

The question that I wonder is when is it time for older people to not be alone at home, but to go to a facility where they are taken care of or somewhere where there is care? Assisted living, living with a younger family member, or other? One of my grandmothers died at home in her bed after she went to bed. The other grandmother was in a facility after living with one of her daughters the last few years.

dademoss, I'm so sorry about Willow.
I forgot to comment that I love Ren fest. We used to go to one in TX (I forget the town). Loved the Other Brothers juggling act. The costumes and stuff were always fun to see.
Rusty, I'm glad they got it on the 2nd try. Hope next time its on the 1st.
Today I got woken up by my brother (I was napping) & he was nearly apoplectic about his bank. They told him he couldn't get his $3k back in his savings bc it had been over 60 days since the theft & it was too late to file a claim-- but he filed a claim Aug 1. I took him to the bank & the woman who filed his paperwork was busy. We sat awhile and talked to another lady & got nowhere. Went to Panda to eat, then Samsclub. Then back to the bank. Lady was free and was perplexed as to why they claimed they didn't get it. She pulled up the e-mail where she sent it to them, reprinted a copy of the form (showing original date it was filed) and sent it to them again with a note that she'd sent it before, client was pissed & wanted his money & interest on it & that it was clearly fraud & they needed to give him his $ back.
He felt a bit better after that, but now the waiting game begins. At least he has enough documentation to sue them if they refuse to return it.
Took Mom's laptop to friend's house to see if he could fix it. No dice. Seems the screen died. It will work if she hooks it to a tv via HDMI though. She's missing out on her games for now. I need to buy a longer HDMI cable so it can reach her laptop.
Got back home and tried to clean the sink with barkeeper's friend. Followed the directions but it did nothing. Those are some tough stains. I'm going to try vinegar, lemon juice, and baking soda next.
Plantersville

My brother learned he has pancreatic cancer last stage, he’s so sick, it’s spread to every part , lungs, stomach, everywhere. I’m so broken, he hasn’t told mom,she has really short term memory,she’s 89, please keep my family in your prayers. There were 6 of us, 4 brothers, one sister, The youngest three are gone already, sis was 38and passed of desert storm syndrome, my family is nearly gone, I need to be strong for mom, I really dread telling her.
You and yours will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Dinner tonight will be with The Stanley Cup at a party at a hockey friends.
It was just kind of plonked down there right next to my table. Our hockey friend plays on the team with my wife, and her husband works for the Avalanche/NHL and had a turn with the cup. So they rented out half of the restaurant at our local hockey rink (a three-plex) and brought the thing for us to see.

It's funny, when they bring it out at the end of the finals, they're wearing suits and carrying it very carefully with white gloves. I was expecting the thing to be roped off, or guarded, or something. But after all those final game photo ops, evidently it becomes the average Joe's trophy. Everyone was hugging the thing, kissing it, setting babies in the top of it. There were two official "cup attendants" who were really just photographers. The hockey player names inscribed on it were tiny. It must be a computer that engraves it. You couldn't hope to read them without a magnifying glass. More like an electron microscope. I guess that's how they fit so many names on the thing.

We will have the higher quality photos later - I think they are going to email out a link to download what was photographed tonight. Here's one I took from my dining seat. It was kind of cool to be eating and gabbing away next to the trophy. I guess football, baseball, basketball, etc. all have trophies too, but probably very few people know - or care - what they look like. But most everyone knows what The Stanley Cup looks like! It's pretty big. I'd say almost 4 feet tall by two feet wide.

sc.jpg

Talking to my sister online. She's got Covid and feels awful. I hope she recovers quickly. Her husband is feeling a little better than she is right now.

On the topic of what to do when people get older, it can be tough. Sometimes family isn't equipped to be caregivers. Sometimes they don't have the space and other times its lack of ability or knowledge. It really depends on the condition both mental and physical. I know that with dementia people can become very hateful, angry, and even violent. I don't really like nursing homes because every single one I've dealt with was awful & every person I've known or friend I've known who got sent to one or sent family to them lost their family members shortly thereafter and there were signs of neglect and even abuse. Hospice care isn't great all the time either. My grandfather was probably killed by the hospice worker who gave him two morphine patches instead of one (he was only supposed to get one and he'd never used them before) but mom & her sister's couldn't prove any malfeasance. My uncle and his wife live in an assisted living facility and like it there. The maintenance department is responsible for any repairs, they get meals prepared for them, and have health services available in emergencies. I think it's an apartment complex with some outdoor common areas where my uncle has a garden. He grows fruit and vegetables as well as flowers that attract butterflies (he loves butterflies). An assisted living community is preferable to a nursing home. I'd rather die than be put in a nursing home.

I cooked dinner for Mom and am still tired.

Back