What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You like Wisc. in winter remember - almost as much as Wyom. 😂 (Please don't block me.)
It's only for a little while. The gang is moving to Barstow, CA and working on the line from Barstow to Las Vegas, Nevada over the winter. I'm not thrilled about that, but my second choice gang is working from El Paso, Texas to Lordsburg, New Mexico and that's just as bad...

I went to bed a little after midnight. Didn't wake up until after 6pm. Well, I woke up a few times to go to the bathroom but was too exhausted & brain was in zombie mode. Got up and started cooking. Heard a pop and microwave shut off. It's plugged in to an outlet extender that was put in during the 1980s. Some of the ports on it have died already. I checked the plugs first and the air fryer in the same thingy had lights come on but nada from the microwave. I had checked the breaker prior and it was fine. But microwave has no lights or response. I then tried to unplug it and man, that thing was stuck. It took over 10min to dislodge it. My hand kept slipping so I used a paper towel, then rubber gloves. Then rubber gloves and a plastic putty knife. I managed to pry the two top prongs out somewhat but that bottom one was really stuck. The whole outlet expander kept moving and the lights in the kitchen were flickering. Finally yanked it out and the kitchen lights stayed out so I know wires broke or dislodged. I need to replace that outlet anyway. Already ordered a new outlet extender. Next step is to figure out which breaker its on. Once I have that figured out, I'll write on the box which breaker its on. Finished cooking dinner on the stove. And have been playing Elder Scrolls Online. Have to get up before 6am tomorrow to go meet my friend at the hospital in Eunice. His gf is getting a c-section and I'm going to make sure he gets a paternity test done before he tries to sign anything saying he's the father. He needs people to back him up to help him have somewhat of a spine to say "no" to the gf's demands.

Well the weather is truly dire here, so everything I'm doing will be indoors- another day at the desk-but my onions are still not planted and times a movin' on...it's squally, heavy rain and the wind is picking up. Maybe this should go in the rant section! But as my husband jokingly says when I burn something 'I'm not mad, just disappointed 😂 🤔 at least, I think he's joking :oops: have a good day everyone!

Slept very late today. Did laundry yesterday and cleaned the bedroom. Besides the usual taking care of the animals. Barn was a mess yesterday because everyone was in Monday night because it was pouring outside.
One more bad thing happened. We're pretty sure the potential milk goat aborted her pregnancy. There was leakage and some blood . She could have only been pregnant a few weeks so she seems ok, but we took her out of the pasture she was in ( with the big now injured buck and one bigger goat that was constantly trying to beat up on her) . We think she might have gotten beat up by the other goat. I don't know why the milk goats get beat up all the time. This one has horns and is only half and she is just as big as most of them. We put her in with one her age ( slightly smaller than the rest of them) and the little buck we just got. I also gave her a shot of antibiotic just in case she aborted because of some bacteria. We have decided we are never going to try breeding goat to 3 different bucks , it's too hard. The big bucks want to break the fence to get to the other ones constantly and we keep moving them around . We should have taken the big buck to the auction last Saturday, big mistake

Good morning!
Paid bills.
Next, will walk.
Run around locally to a couple of stores for sales.
Put a rack/ shelf together that was delivered yesterday.
Print a manual for my yard sale bread machine.
Call quick books and try to resolve more issues.
Don't know if we have Bible study tonight or not.

Easy day after yesterday's ride... laundry, some reconditioning of work boots, fajita mix to cook later, etc. I'm enjoying a cuppa tea while sharing quality time with the kittens... gonna go post those riding pics at the Kawasaki site where I also hang out, those boyz (and possibly some gurlz) will appreciate the shots. Henceforth, whenever I ride I will post pics at each site, as I can't be bothered to figure out why my Acer laptop is no longer automatically filing pics... well, maybe I'll give it ONE & ONLY ONE attempt to sort things out, in months past the laptop always automatically stored or filed pics once I inserted the memory card from the Canon cam. More Big Tech BS, in a perfect world the wanks who designed this cr@p would be taken out and shot, or hung with piano wire, lol. 😒

P.S. I'm fairly certain that cold beer will figure prominently into my day once the sun is over the yardarm... might even lower the yardarm, lol. 😉

Y'all be good, I hope y'all have a great... er... Wednesday, right? Good thing I already turned the calendar pages... 😎

Well, the good news about being behind on everything is that I have endless choices as to what to do next. 😁
Just gotta keep plugging along! 👍

When you're finished, you will want to just go and stand in there and admire it. (oh, or is that just me?) 😂
Oh, it's definitely not you! Sometimes I have to take a break just so I can admire the process. lol

Telling myself the same thing, Goshen. So far behind that I have choices now. Ha. So filled a cart at Aldi, prices up from last week. Dishwasher soap (aldi brand) was $2.69 8 months ago. Went up to $3.99 and held that last week. Today was $4.29. Too windy to work on the greenhouse plastic. Have cleaning to do inside, but mostly waiting on the repair guy.

Geez, @Amish Heart. That's too dang much! Just a little bit ago I was working on dishes and thinking about stocking up on dishwashing soap (I'm the dishwasher here, and I have a thing about stocking up on cleaning supplies). Thought I'd found a solution with one of those products that's super-concentrated and you just add water - that would be easier to stock up on because being super-concentrated, the packets are small. But it's not a good product. So I'm back to figuring out the solution for that.

My husband doesn't understand my obsession with cleaning supplies. 😂

Gotta go see the sawbones today, lol.

You know you have a cool Doc, when once the medical questions were out of the way (general check up) that he asks where he can get a military surplus plate carrier in dessert tan. 😂 😂

I got up at 5 something, went out to my truck, put in the address in GPS, messaged my friend to tell him I was heading out and he said to wait. Said they bumped surgery back to 10am. Said he would like food from taco bell if I could stop there before 10:30. So, I went back inside and watched some star wars stuff. Tales of the Jedi and started watching Andor. Played more ESO. Then headed out again. Stopped at Taco Bell (it was on the way), met with my friend and then helped make arrangements for the paternity test. He couldn't afford it so we agreed to pay for it. This way he won't have an excuse to not get it done. It will take about 3 days for results but he's waiting for them to do the swabs. I thought they'd already done them but apparently they haven't brought the baby to the room yet and he doesn't know what is going on. I stopped at Walmart to get a new outlet, stopped at Dollar Tree just for kicks and found it pretty sparse. Picked up food from a local place to appease Mom. Got some for my brother too. Left a little for the dog but apparently not enough because she whined and climbed in my lap and started licking my face for any remnants of the stew. Finished watching episode 4 of Andor, and am now about to watch episode 5. I'm tired but my brain won't let me sleep.

my husband has been helping son in law with work on their house...hope they get it wintered in....they have started getting prepared...both work fulltime and are always swamped...i rested more today...been almost asphyxiated by all the grain dust in the atmosphere here...still hacking!

Workity work work work. We have still been busy at work.
I've popped in here and there but haven't had a real chance to catch up.
It's finally cooling off and the kitchen is almost put back together from the hot mess of canning season happening.
I have just a few more things to get out of the way so the "evidence" will be gone.
We are finally getting longer evenings and have put the garden to bed for the most part - can't believe I'm saying that and it's Nov. 2! Will pick the remaining peppers this evening as well as remaining eggplants and beans. Did I mention it's Nov. 2? Talkin' crazytown over here.
Looking forward to getting some stitching done since I won't have outside to keep up with.
We have chance of snow next week. Part of me is excited and part of me is really enjoying autumn. It's chilly but we haven't had to bundle up too much yet. Also, we need to get the new plug wires on the tractor (w/ blade for snow). Hubby just bought a new crimper this weekend so hopefully that will happen. The snow made it down to the base of the mountains last night but we didn't get any down here in the valley.
I have most of our Christmas taken care of. Just have 1 or 2 more things. We keep it pretty simple. The nieces like and don't have cloth napkins so I'm making each of them a set. Have the fabric and one set cut out. Hoping to get those done this weekend. Then I can mostly sit back and enjoy the seasons as they roll.
Found a hog to put in the freezer. I got an email from a gal we got one from a couple years ago stating they had one so it goes to the butcher Friday. We aren't out yet but the price is the same as it was 3 years ago and it's been fed non-gmo feed etc. so we said sure.

I picked up the new windows and delivered them to the remodel house. The neighbor across the street was out and talkative today so I let her inspect the progress. She thanked me for fixing the place up. I am thankful they have put up with the construction.

Stopped to get the mail when I asked myself " where is the mail box?" . Laying on the ground next to the post. Looks like someone hit it. All of the nails had given way so all I had to do was bend over the nails and run some deck screws to put it back together. One corner of the door is broken but it is mostly good as new. Once The Princess notices I suspect she will want a new box.

Tomorrow I am at the whim of the delivery people bringing the new refrigerator. Bother.

Ben

I picked up the new windows and delivered them to the remodel house. The neighbor across the street was out and talkative today so I let her inspect the progress. She thanked me for fixing the place up. I am thankful they have put up with the construction.

Stopped to get the mail when I asked myself " where is the mail box?" . Laying on the ground next to the post. Looks like someone hit it. All of the nails had given way so all I had to do was bend over the nails and run some deck screws to put it back together. One corner of the door is broken but it is mostly good as new. Once The Princess notices I suspect she will want a new box.

Tomorrow I am at the whim of the delivery people bringing the new refrigerator. Bother.

Ben
We have made bollards with mailbox plates on top. They usually get filled with concrete. Those don't go anywhere without an argument.

Hooray I have a working washing machine. I now have a week's worth of laundry to do. Am grateful that the twins discovered a laundramat, because I can now stop doing theirs. So first load is in, and it'll be working overtime for a few days. I am sure I'll need to pull out my extra drying racks. He tinkered with the leaking dishwasher, and it still kinda works. Doesn't flood the floor now, just a drip every couple minutes. So it's useable, but talked husband into a new one instead of putting out nearly $200 on this 20 yr old one for new seals. So new dishwasher will arrive next Wednesday afternoon. We are on a roll...ha! Called mom to remind her not to eat because we are picking her up shortly for dinner. Let's see if she remembers. Last chinese place we took her to, she said, "Dong Dong" to all the staff. I don't know what that means. Hopefully she'll behave herself.

Got off work this morning and decided to take advantage of my two consecutive days off. So I went out and started clearing my spot. Took out about twenty hickorys and a couple oaks. Might of gone at it a little longer than I should. Twelve hour night last night and nine hours cutting today not including the drive.

Got off work this morning and decided to take advantage of my two consecutive days off. So I went out and started clearing my spot. Took out about twenty hickorys and a couple oaks. Might of gone at it a little longer than I should. Twelve hour night last night and nine hours cutting today not including the drive.
Clearing for what? (sorry if you said and I missed it.)

Yikes! I found out where the bugs have been hiding!
Taking a break while the raid dries. Lots of stuff to store and
lots of stuff to use ASAP. anything that expires next year or is
already out gets used this month! At least I have bean dip.

Saw something new yesterday at work...
I was stacking my bins..enjoying a good flow when I hear a loud ,
"Crack...Boom!! Screachy bang!
I stop my machine n tilt my head waiting for more noise.
I knew it wasnt my machine..it was close but not my machine close. I looked out back wondering if a forklift dropped something for the construction crew outside working on the cogen.
Nope..nothing out back.
I hear another boom..n slowly peek around the building iron support n watched another 2×6 16 foot wet pine fly through the hole newly created in the wall n hit more wall on it's way out.
The bin I've personally wrote up 3 times for malfunctioning in the last month ..its bin floor cable on the catwalk side busted n half the bin dropped to the chains sending it crashing out through the wall.
Thousands of pounds of lumber shoved through a wall is a sight to see..of course I had my phone in my truck charging..
What a mess. I had disabled that bin. The main maintenance guy made sure it was disabled n turned the cylinder off last friday.
Someone disregarded our efforts monday, enabled the bin and cylinder n filled it with lumber.
Now that it the main maintenance guy got dissed..I have a feeling someone's going to know they messed up even if they dont fess up. And I feel validated..I told them it was screwed up 3 fracking times!
The 3rd time was a nasty note on the main computer with copious amounts of potty mouth language to not enable this bin!

Drove thru a wet snowstorm about 80 miles to pick up a new wood stove with a cool front glass door. This should be very cozy and since we have been heating each winter with electric (used to be cheap northwest power sold by a co op) the cheaper bill will be nice also. Totally non electric, no fan and a nice flat top for cooking.

Woke up this morning with a sinus/migraine, I'm grumpy and I think I will call in sick.... I am not allowed to be around people (or living things for that matter) when I feel like this. Ears ringing, head and neck throbbing, and nose running like a fire hose... yep, me grumpy....

I may try to do some cleaning in the dark... ;)

Woke up this morning with a sinus/migraine, I'm grumpy and I think I will call in sick.... I am not allowed to be around people (or living things for that matter) when I feel like this. Ears ringing, head and neck throbbing, and nose running like a fire hose... yep, me grumpy....

I may try to do some cleaning in the dark... ;)
Hope you feel better soon!! For everyone else's sake!😁

Latest posts

Back