What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overdid it yesterday now my back hurts. Need to do yoga
Took care of animals, cleaned out another stall in barn ( just in time too) , put all the baby goats and moms outside with the rest of them. Saw the little scrawny one pee so it must be nursing some. She did not want a bottle either

Did laundry to wash all the bloody goat towels and our barn clothes

Helped husband cut up firewood with the chainsaw since we are out and son had school. We have 2 chainsaws , one smaller one I can use to cut up smaller branches. I also filled up 3 buckets of starter wood in the woods while taking dogs for a walk

Son came home and we started planting some stuff in the garden that was getting too large for the starter pots. Cross fingers it won't be 20 degrees again this year.....slight freeze should be ok, I will cover it up with blankets. We only planted a few things, cabbage, broccoli, swiss chart, lettuce and I put some beet root seeds in the ground. Since we have no tiller we just tilled it by hand with rakes and shovels, but it was only a very small part of the garden. Will rent one for the rest

And then when I was ready to be done, the last big fat sheep had her lambs. She did great, first time mom had them both within an hour and took care of them. We moved them to the clean stall and she really did not want us there. The goats don't mind at all but the sheep hate being messed with at all. So we left them be . It was late , dark and my back hurt, and they were trying to nurse. I hope they did and are still alive this morning. Usually we make sure they nurse first.
About to go down and check

Hmmmm, well I already posted the road and weather report for our community Nextdoor page. Basically said it is snowing and windy but the ground is warm and wet and weather radar claims it will be past us soon so I basically didn't know what they should expect. I also added to look out the window and figure out when it gets close to your go to town time.
I ordered the correct part yesterday for the neighbors tractor I am doing maintenance on, that was a fiasco trying to figure out the correct parts based on their lame owners manual and trying to cross reference from an obscure parts supplier and then through Baldwin and then over to NAPA. Part should be here in a day or two. But for now the tractor is in my garage drained of hydraulic fluid because I had to take off the old filters to figure out what the new filters should be. Apparently Kubota installed the engine and filters and then painted the frame and engine so it was impossible to get part numbers off the original filters.
If I do anything today, after sleeping, it will be changing the oil and oil filter in the tractor, but that will have to be done cold since I can't start it with the hydraulic system drained. Oh well, it ain't mine. Ha, kidding, it wont be ideal but it wont hurt anything, it will just take a bit longer for the oil to drain out the bottom of the oil pan and maybe a bit of dirty-ish oil will be left behind. The neighbor doesn't do much for maintenance so it will still be a major improvement.
Rain and snow and weather for the next few days but they claim Saturday will be sort of decent so hopefully the one kids wedding day is a sloppy, rainy mess. It will be in town so no worries of snow.
Sweet dreams, and Have a great day.
Wanna borrow my tractor next??
😆😆

Watered the trees and did household chores... may wash the bike this afternoon if the wind doesn't get too bad, the bike has been dirty since I rode it last week but the windy days have made washing a low priority. Put my dope seedlings outdoors to catch some real sunshine today, but I'll bring 'em back indoors if the wind picks up this afternoon. I would've planted 'em this morning, but we still have a goldurned freezing night ahead in the weather forecast. Still no sign of that first round of melon seedlings, I reckon they're all dead, but no worries, I'll start some more once I know there will be no more freezing nights... and the holes are already in place with amended soil for the next round of seedlings, all I gotta do is plant 'em. 😒

I had to get out of the house today. It was warm, clouds building to the west. A nice day for a walk in the woods. Didn’t go far, took a break and sat on the river bank for a while.

I stopped at this spot, a hangout for teens long ago. Across the river at the X was a huge old white oak. We had a 70ft steel cable bolted in the top. Made a great swing for jumping in the river. No diving – river bottom is mostly rock. We had to swim to get to the swing.

Being teens… We’d have swimming contests. To see who could do the back stroke all the way across the river while carrying a case of beer on your stomach. A few of us could do it, most were good swimmers (no life jackets in those days either).

20230322_Nrvr919a.jpg

I mowed the lawn for the first time this spring. It wasn’t long at all but it sure cleans things up. It’s supposed to rain the next few days so good timing.
Still two months to the first mowing where I live, unless it gets real warm and sunny. They're predicting a cool wet spring though so I don't think it'll happen. Doesn't matter to me though, I don't have any yard to mow...😎

All the Star of Bethlehem bulbs are coming up on our "so called" lawn. It's really mowed green weeds, pretty much. When those stop blooming, then it's time to mow.
Mom's ortho appt went well. Sure was tricky getting her leg xray while in a wheelchair. Her leg is healing well, and can do without the brace now. She's starting light PT, can move her leg, but not put weight on it yet. Maybe in 2 weeks when she goes again, then she'll start the walker again.

Amish, I hope your mom will be able to get out of the wheelchair soon.

My mother woke me up at 3:50am because she accidentally let two of my brother's cats into the living room. She claimed they were knocking stuff down, but was mistaken. I had taken my muscle relaxants so my coordination was off. I stumbled out and fed the kitties in the kitchen which had the two boys in the living room begging to be let out. Let them out and then she had to babble at me about stuff and I pointed out that the thing she said was knocked down had been knocked down for months but it's in a spot I can't reach. I tried to leave at least 10x but she kept yabbering at me. It was the best sleep I'd had in awhile and was going to be the first time I slept through the night peacefully. I sometimes think she does it on purpose to mess up my sleep schedule. LOL. Wasn't able to get back into a restful sleep after that.

I unloaded stuff from the truck. I was singing very loudly so the cow came over to nuzzle me and wanted to be petted. I used to sing to her while petting her. Got the 25lb cat food bag out although my left arm protested. I gave the chiweenie a bath. He didn't seem to hate it and he mostly held still. He liked when I was massaging the shampoo into his fur and cooperated as I moved him around. He didn't mind the spray bottle squirting warm water on him either. I sat him on my lap with a towel for several minutes drying him off. I think the blow dryer is in the workshop.

Cooked dinner and moved one of the cementboards into the tub-- my arm really hated me after that.

I meant to take a nap a long time ago but just watched The Mandalorian. I'm going to try to get some sleep now.

Working for one of my favorite little ladies today! Cleaning then moving plants out of her garage! Watching for pop up storms in the afternoon, but the main event will be overnight!! Will probably do some push mowing, front yard and back dog yard can use a touch up! Gotta be able to see those snakes!!🐍

@zannej did you say Mandalorian? That was a fun show. Is this new stuff?
Yes, I think episode 4 of season 3 "The Foundling". They lost me a bit on the previous episode with the Dr. Pershing side story. It was to drawn out. But Grogu's flashback to the Order 66 attack on the Jedi Temple was interesting in the latest episode.

I'm just waking up. Did some of my shoulder exercises 2x already. Waiting for it to be time to take my allergy meds and morning vitamins. Probably going to have some multi-grain cheerios for breakfast. I need to be more productive today.

She is getting awful tired of being in a wheelchair.
So would I! I'm glad she is healing well!
the main event will be overnight!!
Ours is tomorrow.

Yesterday, walked first.
Took friend to town with me to Aldi and Walmart. I kind of did my month ending shop. Not completely, but I am a little uneasy.
Washed rugs and dog blankets.

Today, will walk in a few minutes.
Start crockpot of deer sausage, cabbage and potatoes.
Take friend to vet with her cat. Has to have him put down. Sad, but the cat is suffering.
Come home and walk dogs.
Take ebay photos.
Bible study tonight.

All the Star of Bethlehem bulbs are coming up on our "so called" lawn.
I have some Star of Bethlehem in my flower garden. I so love them! Someone told me that they will spread. Fingers crossed! I am not sure that they truly will.

I have been doing some yard work every day and planting seeds.

This flower garden bed is so large that I am going to divide it into small sections, 2 feet by 2 feet and draw and illustrate what is in each one, and what I want to plant in them. I am planning a big makeover for the flower garden after I get all my seeds planted in flats. I had half of it dug up, added sphagnum moss, replanted some of it a couple years ago. The rest needs to be dug up and the soil amended. Then I can make a plan and replant it, moving some of the perennials.

I need another shelf to hold my flats for my seedlings. I have been working on expanding my grow lights, flats, seedling cells. I am wanting to get a greenhouse built some time this summer.

Finished a stretch of 8 days on service. We were super full and busy. At one point there was only 1 ICU bed in all of the pacific northwest. Unreal.
Yesterday we worked on our greenhouse. Framing is all done except for the trusses, and then we put on the plexiglass and install the vent and door. Paint and shelving and hopefully I can start planting in there this week. Cleaning out my son's RV, my daughter is coming up in a week or so to shadow one of the cardiothoracic surgery PA's I work with. Then we will move some of our canned food in there from storage while we get the root cellar done.
For inside work today I'm finishing up stuff for taxes and doing some laundry.

Well, I slept half my night (day). Making myself some chicken nuggets for a midnight snack. Yay me. GF said she bought me some dress pants for her daughters wedding. I am not sure what is wrong with my black dress pants but the new ones fit well so I guess I will be wearing those. Fortunately she likes my light grey dress shirt or she would buy me a new shirt too. She asked about a tie, I was looking through the dozen or so ties hanging in the closet and didn't recognize any of them. I was informed those ties are for her sons so apparently my ties are still hanging on the rack in the storage container in the yard, although my Green Eggs & Ham tie is in the closet and she said she liked that one so I guess I am good. I get dressed up so rarely I don't know where the good stuff lives, I think the last several times I wore good clothes were for 3 different funerals, a friends wedding, and my GF's youngest daughters confirmations/first communion, you know back during the china flu when churches were not allowed to do communion.
I still have little or no idea what the plans are for Saturday. If I knew I had a designated driver to get home I would plan to hang out in the back hallway or out the back door with the Pastor and have a few drinks while the rest enjoy the reception dinner but with Utah laws (which I do not object to) if you look at a beer too long and drive if you are stopped they will take you to jail for DUI. Sooooo, if we line up a couple of drivers to get us home I will sit back and relax, if I am a designated driver I will sit back and eat whatever food she prepared and go back for 3rds and 4ths and 8ths until it is time to go home.
After I have my mid night snack I will go back to bed for a couple hours and then head to work.
SPEAKING OF WORK..... the "green house" where all the bird seed and coco coir baskets and bird feeders and planters pots are kept...... well it is infested with mice again. Everything is yucked up with empty seed shells and mouse poop and urine and the entire area is a stinky mess. The overnight guy asked about the bags of bird feed (seeds) that are chewed open and rather disgusting and the STORE MANAGER told him to wrap them in to clear plastic bags and mark them 50% off. Well, that is about half of the bags on the shelf and if you are not familiar mice continually poop and urinate everywhere and even the boxes the bags of seeds are stocked in are full off poop and stained from the urine. People buying these bags of birds seeds are guying disgusting stuff only suitable for mice and rats. Management doesn't care and only gave permission to put a couple of those electronic high frequency buzzer things in the green house area to supposedly chase away the mice. They refuse to toss out the open and disgusting bags of birds seed and the new boxes we get in every night go on the shelf and are pillaged within a day. SOOOOOOO, do not EVER buy any bags of bird seed if there is a whole in the bag or any sign of "dirt" on the bag or shelf or anywhere. We had this problem 5 years ago when I worked in the garden department and after weeks of explaining and complaining I just started putting out LOTS of glue strips and after 2 months I finally got rid of the mouse problem. They didn't give me permission to do so, and when I did ask they said NO and they didn't want to waste the money, but when we filled up 3 shopping carts full of chewed open bags of seed and "soiled" coco coir potting baskets and other contaminated items it took them 2 months to decide to throw them away. While they made up their mind the 3 shopping carts of mess sat in the middle of the garden area for all customers to see and enjoy. DAMN I hate the pathetic management at our store. Hopeffully within a few months I find something else and get the hell out of there. I love my job, and I like the work, but working with incompetent supervisors is very annoying.

Cut my hair, feels good now... I like it short after being in the Infantry, it's a "low maintenance" thing. Also, at my age, I don't give a damn about what others think of my appearance, lol. Not gonna dye my hair orange & blue like one hardcore punk rocker I saw in London in '79, but this edgy Waffen SS cut will give perps & troublemakers second thoughts about my status as a potential victim, lol. It fairly screams "military service" and I'm not exactly small, lol, so chances are the perps will move on to easier targets, and good riddance. Being in an area where many residents are strapped also helps... ;)

Wouldn't ya know it? That pesky wind kicked up again, and now it looks as if we might get some rain... that's what I get for even THINKING about washing the bike, lol. But no worries, Crackhead & Zorlac gave me a task to knock out after they managed to wrench one windowsill out of the paneling beneath a window... nothing solid behind the paneling which I can use as an anchor, you understand. So I tried some large pop rivets which fit snugly in the holes (with a slight bit of widening), I've done this before with paneling and it works. We're only talking about the weight of cats here... :rolleyes:

The paneling is too thin for me to use regular wall anchors, but it's strong enough to support a windowsill which is pop-riveted securely. We'll see how the rivets hold up, as the cats really like that sill for watching the birds out front. Weight of the pinewood sill and two metal brackets (or corner braces) is not that great, so with luck the rivets hold and that'll be the end of it... worst-case scenario, I shift the position of the braces beneath the sill so there are wooden studs available to use as anchors, the odd placements will look funny but I reckon nobody may notice with the curtains hanging down. :confused:

Anyway, now that the sill is back in place, I guess I'll putter around a bit and see what I can do on a cloudy & gloomy day like this... washing the bike can wait another day, I want calm sunny weather for that task. I also have a fresh stack of library books which I picked up the other day, lol... mostly Westerns by Elmer Kelton, he's a good author and I enjoy his novels. That ol' boy knows Texas too, lemme tell ya, lol. Whenever I read one of his novels, I feel like I'm right there in the middle of it all, which of course is exactly what a good writer does, he (or she) puts ya right there... :oops:

Last edited:
All this stuff about haircuts and I think I need one. I hate when my hair gets long.
I'm worried about my friend and his cruise. Not sure if he will be turned away for not having a passport and there is no way they can expedite a passport fast enough at this point. Also worried something will go wrong if he does get to go. He has that kind of luck.

I ate breakfast and then took a nap. Then struggled to get the lid off the Aquadefense to put on the cement board I set in the tub. I thought I'd done something wrong with the mixing bc it looks way lighter than the stuff in the videos but then I found out they lightened the color. Have to wait an hour before doing a 2nd coat.
Edit: Waited an hour but it still doesn't look dry enough so I'm going to give it more time.

Last edited:
I'm a bit grumpy because we are getting more snow - supposed to accumulate 2-3 inches by tomorrow night :rolleyes:

Decided to throw caution to the wind and resume doing the convention circuit with my side business. Bought a booth at the SLC Comic Con in September, so I have some real motivation to get off my butt and start making things. Decided to mix thing up a bit and ordered a large format (4'x8') panel CNC cutter from makermade.com and a very large size (17"x15"x15") 3D printer to add to my existing print farm. I'm hoping to make a smaller number of big-ticket items rather than a ton of cheap ones. We'll see how that goes!

Battling through annual reports at work, and of course the never ending chore of sorting and packing and donating and storing stuff to get ready to put the house on the market. Donated a truckload of stuff a week or so ago, but the house is still stuffed. Friend coming over tomorrow to plant some seeds (she has cats, and no basement, so it's easier to start her seeds here). My tomatoes are about 2" high. Hoping the peppers sprout soon. Snow is pretty much gone, got up to 43 today, had a bit of rain. At some point I hope to get that new motorcycle out on the road.

I got two coats of aquadefense on the bottom back piece of cement board. It was hell getting the lid off. I was a bit thrown by how pale it was and then discovered they changed the color to be lighter. It's harder to tell when it is dry. But, I got it all sealed up to my satisfaction. I cooked for mom and watched the latest episode of Star Trek: Picard. I never watched the first two seasons but I like the current one because it's bringing back the TNG cast.

I'm going to try to do some cleaning tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back