What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally missed that this was going on.
You don't normally hear about these ham fests unless you are in an amateur radio club (I don't know if you are into radio or not). This particular one was up at the Boulder County Fairgrounds in Longmont.

Here are a couple of clubs in the area (there are more!):

Longmont Amateur Radio Club-LARC – Serving the Longmont Colorado Community! (Longmont - this is the club that I am a member of)

BARC - Home (Boulder)

Home | NCARC (Ft. Collins)

https://w0tx.org/ (Denver)

PPRAA (Colorado Springs)

Went to Monticello Ms yesterday for a trade fair
Was not real productive my wife said we did not loose money. Met new people and got out of the house . She is a optimistic
After fuel, food expenses we were in the blue by $25.00
But, I pick up a 380 amt backup for almost nothing because it was reported to have a “broken safety”
The broken safety turned out to be a spring some yahoo removed to disable the palm safety
Took me about 10 minutes to fix and I will resell it at a $200 profit

61E8897F-80E8-46BB-A159-0B3B7058FD87.jpeg

I am home already!! North Texas is in for some very serious weather!! Talked to a team of storm chasers while in town, they were plotting their day! They said this area is in the most serious threat it ever has been!!😮☹️ So all you north Texans, LOOK OUT, a rough day ahead!! So I am on storm lookout!! Going outside right now to pick up I don't want to lose to the hail, guess it won't matter in a tornado!! Updates in "weather in your area" as this happens!!🙏

Up till 11.30 last night delivering goat kids. One came out on his own the next one did not make progress in one hour so I pulled it. Last one I just assisted a little. All 3 babies and momma ok. We have 1 goat left to go. I'm tired.
Husband counted our animals today 74 sheep and goats. We need to sell some...

This morning I noticed the potential milk goat ( half Nubian) had a very large udder. She has more milk than needed by her kids. So we milked her and it's working . We have a new milk goat! I am going to leave the boys with her and just milk a little out. We only need about a gallon a week. I was surprised how well she held still and let me milk her. Was expecting a fight at first

Just put pizza in the oven.

Trying to catch up on here..and at home. It's been a crazy last few weeks..long hard hours at work. The sorter isnt sorting wood right, so alot of boards are getting sorted into around bins. It has to be picked out unless the whole bin is a mix.
The scanners were damaged I'm guessing by the water system from the fire and we were told they are now obsolete and we cant find any. So..it makes for a long day n my shoulder is trashed. Luckily , one of the office guys will usually come and help pick boards out by the afternoon. I'm grateful , as it is I havent been taking lunches or breaks so I dont get behind.
I'm ready for summer.., it's just barely acting like spring..uggh..

Tackling all the schoolwork that I've been procrastinating on for the past week. Also need to put the rest of the seeds in the garden, wash dishes and start laundry. Might have few adult beverages later as well.

Trying to catch up on here..and at home. It's been a crazy last few weeks..long hard hours at work. The sorter isnt sorting wood right, so alot of boards are getting sorted into around bins. It has to be picked out unless the whole bin is a mix.
The scanners were damaged I'm guessing by the water system from the fire and we were told they are now obsolete and we cant find any. So..it makes for a long day n my shoulder is trashed. Luckily , one of the office guys will usually come and help pick boards out by the afternoon. I'm grateful , as it is I havent been taking lunches or breaks so I dont get behind.
I'm ready for summer.., it's just barely acting like spring..uggh..
Great to see you!

You don't normally hear about these ham fests unless you are in an amateur radio club (I don't know if you are into radio or not). This particular one was up at the Boulder County Fairgrounds in Longmont.

Here are a couple of clubs in the area (there are more!):

Longmont Amateur Radio Club-LARC – Serving the Longmont Colorado Community! (Longmont - this is the club that I am a member of)

BARC - Home (Boulder)

Home | NCARC (Ft. Collins)

Denver Radio Club (Denver)

PPRAA (Colorado Springs)
I have tried to join one, or at least attend meetings. I drove, in the dark which I hate to do, out to Cherry Creek H.S. where supposedly there is a club. I could never find it. I wrote to the club and got some nasty replies. That club is obviously not for me. I have never used a radio, have no license, etc., but have wanted to get involved for a few years.

I used to visit one site called 'Outdoor Adventure USA' which was pretty cool: a large number of the forums involved ham radio testing & operation, while other forums concerned overland rigs (offroad rigs that could go anywhere). I think the guy who set up this website also went on to create the 'American Adventurist' website, that's not a bad site either. I got banned from both sites after bashing leftist douchebags, lol... and who would've THUNK it? But I noticed that the mods left my posted pics in place, hard to find island shots like those I took during my Baja voyages. I could probably re-register using another computer, but I can't be bothered with it... too many websites out there. 😒

I had a weird Saturday which I will not get into. I've come down with a ferocious cold, and the nursing home where my mom lives told me to stay away, so I'm not going to visit her this week. The home said that bad colds are just too hard on the elderly residents there, so they don't like to take the risk of letting people in when they've got one.

So, I'm at home with my kid. We'll do some laundry and go to Walmart so I can pick up a few supplies before I leave for work tomorrow. I have to fly to Vegas and pick up a company vehicle then drive it up to Salt Lake City. I should get up there around 2am Tuesday morning and work starts around 5am. That'll be fun...🙄

My sis's aunt and her husband came for lunch, and that was a fun visit. Nephew and wife left to go back home to Oklahoma. So now just husband, myself, little granddaugher, and sister. She goes back to Florida late tomorrow afternoon. It got real quiet again. We have tons of mom putaways to deal with, and mess clean up from the twins. Beautiful day out....80 and light breeze.

I have tried to join one, or at least attend meetings. I drove, in the dark which I hate to do, out to Cherry Creek H.S. where supposedly there is a club. I could never find it. I wrote to the club and got some nasty replies. That club is obviously not for me. I have never used a radio, have no license, etc., but have wanted to get involved for a few years.
That is vey sad to hear. If you care to do Zoom, I will be happy to forward links to the 2 local clubs I am members of when they have their monthly meetings. It' not local, but you may find things of interest.

That is vey sad to hear. If you care to do Zoom, I will be happy to forward links to the 2 local clubs I am members of when they have their monthly meetings. It' not local, but you may find things of interest.
Thank you. I'd be somewhat interested, but I would think having a mentor and a chance for some hands on would be very important.

Mentors and hands on are nice. I was a SWL (short wave listener). I knew nobody, never went hands on. There are resources here that will answer questions, Can't help with hands on unless you wanna come to Cincinnati, but really it's not needed.

http://ohkyin.org/wp/
https://qcenorg.wordpress.com/

Shucks, Iowa had a great team this year. I heard that one of the girls from Iowa made some amazing scores, something that even the pros hadn't done.
Yeah, the internet is up in arms about LSU's star player taunting Iowa's star player at the end of the game, after LSU had put the game out of reach. It's really not that big a deal, just a little trash talk. But it's another example of mildly poor sportsmanship in the heat of the moment. I wish the NCAA would get a little more strict about this stuff. I think it'd make sports nicer to watch...

Shucks, Iowa had a great team this year. I heard that one of the girls from Iowa made some amazing scores, something that even the pros hadn't done.
Did you see the 'big-hair' LSU girl sink 5 3-pointers in just the first half? :oops:
(2-minute vid)

...And I'm not even a basketball fan :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Got quite a bit done today. Quite a bit in the way of laundry and general cleaning but also made a batch of soap and repotted my ‘mater plants. Hubby got the studded tires off my car and weatherman says chance of snow tomorrow 😂
Made me some oven fried chicken and Hubby a rib steak 🥩 and he did sliced potatoes and portobello mushrooms in our homemade bacon grease.

Well the snakes and spiders are out!! Found a Black Widow under the picnic table!🕷️🐍 Caught a grass snake, just to freak Hubby out! He hates when I pick up snakes! Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those weirdos who goes around picking up poisonous snakes!🤪 Guess it's time to start watching for those dang shower scorpions!😮🦂

Well, let's cover the weekend. Friday night after work (Saturday morning) I went to bed shortly after getting home. I was just plane tired. Set an alarm for noon but changed it to 1pm before I fell asleep. At 1pm I set it for 2pm, and than at 2pm set it for 3pm but finally woke up on my own about 2:45. Saturday evening was a chili cook off party at the neighbors. The GF and I both had no energy but we went just to get out of the house. It was the first day in weeks where we had nothing to do, other than the GF making the chili, so I think our minds just did their best to shut the body down to relax. It was a good evening, had a few good conversations, but mostly sat back and just watched and listened. I didn't even have a drink, I was relaxed just from being tired. We were home by 10pm and asleep by about 11:30pm but I woke up at 2am and couldn't get back to sleep until about 8am. Sunday was just another tired day but I did prune the apple tree and the grape vine.
I called and talked to my son, he has been annoyed that his volleyball team at school hasn't been doing well. I learned that he plays on both the varsity and Junior varsity teams and one team has one actual win and the other team has a win by forfeit. Other than that they have lost every game and he is bummed. I talked about how volleyball is giving him exercise and keeping him in shape for football and basketball and even though the team isn't doing well he is improving himself and staying in shape for football. Both my boys will be coming to Utah to visit next weekend, there is a car show on the other side of the county/mountain we will be going to next Saturday. We will finally get our chance to see the cool vehicles of Matt's Off Road Recovery (YouTuber) along with some other cool vehicles.
Tonight I was asleep about 11pm but woke up about 2:45. I gotta get off this night shift before summer or I will just continue to be worthless around here. I guess I gotta go visit the cabinet shop again to nag the owner to hire me. I know he wants to, I just gotta keep bugging him so that he will know he wants to. :ghostly:

We had several days of decent weather, only a dusting of snow for a couple of days the past week so the ground around here is mostly dry. Just in time for the possible snow today.. The weather morons claim maybe a couple inches but also claim temps will be in the 40's so it should melt quickly if it even snows. I will relax here at the computer for a bit then back to bed. Have a great day.

The natural gas company showed up this morning to do some work on a line out by the street, they're working on it now and the cats are trippin' on the noise of the heavy equipment. I'll wait till the workers are done before I do anything in the yard, no need to be out there yet... I may do a load of laundry while I'm waiting for the commotion to subside. No big plans for the day, so it's not a major inconvenience... but I don't wanna go anywhere either, I like being around while this sort of work is being done, just in case anything happens (i.e. explosion & fireball in the lane, lol). :oops:

Edit: Hmm, looks like they may already be done, which will be good news for the cats, lol... living where we do in the boondocks, the cats don't see much traffic, and certainly not much heavy equipment like dozers & backhoes. So they tend to freak out when they see these things, and hear them, and actually feel them through vibrations in the ground. The cats also run from trash trucks, school buses, etc., which is okay as far as I'm concerned, less likelihood of the cats being flattened by one of those vehicles, lol. The cats are even leery of regular cars and pickups... 😒

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back