What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't do much today. I was in a lot of pain and it was hard to even move.
Also hooked up the boat to the Grand Cherokee. After chores tomorrow morning we're going to the lake.
Sounds like you did a lot to me!
Do you really really like your Grand Cherokee? I've read mixed reviews on them. Some people never have problems with theirs, others have lots of problems. Some in my extended family have had them for decades, trade them in for another, etc.

Sounds like you did a lot to me!
Do you really really like your Grand Cherokee? I've read mixed reviews on them. Some people never have problems with theirs, others have lots of problems. Some in my extended family have had them for decades, trade them in for another, etc.
We love the Grand Cherokee. It's a 2011 Overland Summit edition with every option that was available back then. We've had zero problems with it and it has just over 100k miles. We ordered it from a dealer in Idaho and had it shipped to Alaska. It's still in perfect condition, except for a small dent from when I slid off the road and tapped a fence post.
We've been thinking about trading in the Grand Cherokee plus my Jeep Rubicon for new ones.

MT, I would NOT trade in that Grand Cherokee if it's in such good condition... you might wind up with a lemon instead. I used to haul MOPAR loads out of Flint, MI, to Orlando, FL, and Laredo, TX, and those loads included Jeep parts. There were ALWAYS more trailers full of defective Jeep parts waiting to be backhauled than there were fresh wagonloads of parts going south, aye? One reason why I've never owned a Jeep, though friends of mine had good ones that ran well and handled offroad situations... I think the quality all depends upon who is building them on any given day. The same probably holds true for other makes and models, but I'd hang onto a Jeep that runs well, you might be sorry if you let it go, only to get a lemon instead. Moi, I run vehicles into the dirt, once I own a car or truck I drive it until it falls apart like Elwood's car in 'THE BLUES BROTHERS'---that's how I get my money's worth out of 'em, lol. ;)

Finished watering the trees & plants in the dark this evening, but the waxing gibbous moon is throwing down plenty of light... nice out there in the evening, with a breeze blowing and the heat of the day dissipated. Now I'm having a cold tall boy before I go read a Western. Weather forecast calls for another dip in temps soon, so maybe the worst of the heat will soon be over, that would be nice after the brutal heat we had earlier, and the heat we have now. This has been a tough summer so far, with so little rain to help cool things off... my A/C bill will probably hit $200 next time, ugh. 🥵

SO much sickness. Amish and Snappy I hope the Doc's can get your hub's treated. Urban, if your sugar is off consider seeing an endrocronolgist. They helped me a lot.
I second the Endo, if you can find a good one. A good one is worth a lot of money. But there are a lot of quacks out there too.

@UrbanHunter What @Bacpacker and @Spikedriver said. Find yourself a good endocrinologist. Just your insurance before you go to see if they cover a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) such as Freestyle Libre or Dexcom. Most won't cover them unless you are insulin dependent so you may have to ask for the stick and strip kind. If they instruct you to test three times daily, ask them to write the script for four times daily testing. That way you get some extra strips in case you mess up a few.

Take care of yourself--I'm sure your wife would not want to see you in medical distress. It will effect her well-being with the worrying for you.

My day off! Which means I have a  ton of work to do at home today!! Laundry, house cleaning, cook some hamburger meat and chicken for future use. Going to get really hot the next two weeks, anything I can pre-cook helps! Heading outside to feed and groom Buddy and water. Making bacon and eggs shortly😃!

easy day today, throw stuff away till the can is 1/2 full, then go drop off the check for the ernest money.

A couple from New Mexico that visit us often, came in to stay a few days yesterday. So, they are here, and sis and her husband are still here. Husband's breathing was bad, took him to ER , and they admitted him last night. He's got the same infection your husband has, Snappy. Not sure if it's possible to get rid of. Got home, a few hours sleep. Grabbing some coffee, doing the animals, and back I go again.

An actual four-legged animal or did you meet a new gal? ;)
4 legged, he(?) is snow white but not an albino. Roscoe the coon and his clan left so possumus maximus moved in.

This week has been a mixed bag, Sunday woke up sick, sweats and chills, sent a note to my Dr.. Monday, was a telework work day, still sick. Tuesday still sweats and chills persisting, took off sick, I gave fluid samples to the lab and got some medications, still did about 4 hours of work online. Ho, on the way to the lab the check engine light on the car flipped on, so now I have 2 sick vehicles. Wednesday I will feeling better, worked a full day and took wife to the beauty salon, the heat was brutal and was really hard on her. Last night I got my full labs reports, not good at all - A1C off the charts with a number of other things way out of spec.... I have been so focused on being a primary care giver that I have just put myself on auto-pilot for the last 5 years and I think I just hit a wall....

This morning I woke up early, 02:30 and couldn't go back to sleep so I jumped on the exercise bike and then checked my e-mails. I think I have decided to retire my old truck, looks like the spider fuel injector system has failed and I am tired of uncertainty. I had been talking about getting a new truck before I retired so I decided to just pull the trigger.

I have a full slate of meetings scheduled for today, I am scheduled to be off on Friday (no guarantee), I am hoping to see things turn around by COB today. :)

I got so sick so fast last weekend and it has been a real wake up call... I need to drop 25 pounds, get my sugar under control (praying no shots) and just start working out more. Before I was walking 5 miles a day and that really helped, I have gotten relaxed and lazy, but there's a cure for that, not so sure about the other stuff.

Oh, in my e-mails I got notification that the fees for my hunting this year doubled, good news is last year they were cut in half because of age discounts, so I'm back paying what I did before... Do you ever feel like you are moon-walking through life, looks like you are moving forward while actually you are gently sliding backwards..?

Time to get my shower before my alarm goes off..
I am a type II diabetic. I’ve been where you are now. Try to limit simple carbs. Oatmeal, whole wheat bread is okay. It’s imperative to lower that A1c. Are you on any meds? I’m on metformin and glipizide. I can’t exercise because I need a new knee and don’t have access to a pool. I need to lose weight, too. They won’t take me to surgery for a new knee at the BMI that I’m at now. 😫 So far I’ve lost about 40 lbs. If you want to message, I’d welcome that. We can do this journey together.

Okay, I'll fess up. I have been being very bad, those sugar laden frozen squeeze pops had my number, plus I have been eating lots of fried rice with sweet and sour chicken over the top of it, for the last 2 years I have mostly been sitting at a desk, and I am 30 pounds overweight.

So I was expecting my sugar to be a little high, but not double digits. I am not on any medications (yet). Sometimes it just hits you between the eyes.....

Okay, I'll fess up. I have been being very bad, those sugar laden frozen squeeze pops had my number, plus I have been eating lots of fried rice with sweet and sour chicken over the top of it, for the last 2 years I have mostly been sitting at a desk, and I am 30 pounds overweight.

So I was expecting my sugar to be a little high, but not double digits. I am not on any medications (yet). Sometimes it just hits you between the eyes.....
I hope your blood sugar IS in the double digits! Or did you mean A1c?

A couple from New Mexico that visit us often, came in to stay a few days yesterday. So, they are here, and sis and her husband are still here. Husband's breathing was bad, took him to ER , and they admitted him last night. He's got the same infection your husband has, Snappy. Not sure if it's possible to get rid of. Got home, a few hours sleep. Grabbing some coffee, doing the animals, and back I go again.
I don't believe it will go away, but we can usually beat it down for about 6 months, then start again. I'm sorry your dh is back in hospital, but hopefully they will get him sorted! We haven't heard anything from VA or doc about getting midline yet. He is breathing a little better with the steroids.

Already walked this morning.
Will go help friend for a bit.
Take ebay photos this afternoon.
Not sure what else.

You all have a great weekend!

@winds-of-change @UrbanHunter have good cheer! it can be done. I've kept my ac1 at 5.1 for 2yrs. Doc took me off metformin a year ago. Had a routine doc appointment this week. He didn't even order a blood test to check my ac1 again, said it'd be a wast of money. Bp was a little higher than normal, 102/64, weight was good at 167lbs. Dropping weight got rid of many of my issues. Almost got out of hand the wrong direction last fall. Was down to 145lbs, my underwear wouldn't even stay up, thankfully I wear suspenders so at least my pants stayed up. 😁 Had to put a few pounds back on, didn't want to buy new underwear. (cheap bastid) 🤣

No plans today, a million things need done. Unsure what I'm going to have the energy to accomplish (cfs).

Going to get really hot the next two weeks, anything I can pre-cook helps!

Hmm, our forecast calls for a dip in temps for at least the next four days... not today, we're still in triple-digit temps today, but the weekend looks good. Upper 90s will feel like the Arctic... 🥶

I'm doing laundry, might make a town run afterward... I have a feeling the stores will be crowded tomorrow with the cooler weather. By dealing with the heat today, I might beat the crowds, lol. 😬

Besides, I only have a few tall boys left in the fridge, and I'm gonna need beer to tackle that home rehab during this upcoming lull in the heat... can't do home rehab work without beer. :confused:

I need to buy some more cracked corn too, the birds have really been hittin' that stuff... my home is like an oasis for wild birds, they have three birdbaths, multiple feeders, some shade trees for restful perches, etc. 😎

I was thinking about putting ice in the birdbaths, maybe I'll try that today once the heat ramps up... the birds drink a lot of water every day, they must be really thirsty in this ongoing heat. Poor little birdies... 🥵

I wish I could put the hummingbird feeders out, but those pesky wasps are still being a nuisance... they're not quite as bad as they were, but there are still enough wasps for me to skip the hummer feeders & sugar water. 😒

Last edited:
@winds-of-change @UrbanHunter have good cheer! it can be done. I've kept my ac1 at 5.1 for 2yrs. Doc took me off metformin a year ago. Had a routine doc appointment this week. He didn't even order a blood test to check my ac1 again, said it'd be a wast of money. Bp was a little higher than normal, 102/64, weight was good at 167lbs. Dropping weight got rid of many of my issues. Almost got out of hand the wrong direction last fall. Was down to 145lbs, my underwear wouldn't even stay up, thankfully I wear suspenders so at least my pants stayed up. 😁 Had to put a few pounds back on, didn't want to buy new underwear. (cheap bastid) 🤣

No plans today, a million things need done. Unsure what I'm going to have the energy to accomplish (cfs).
For a second there a vision of standing there in my underwear with suspenders attached! Oh now that's a place I don't want to go.

Oh, just got a note from the Doctor, my diabetes in not under control, set up an appointment..... Like I couldn't figure that one out!

@UrbanHunter Chronic fatigue syndrome forces me to be sedentary so I understand the battle well. My energy levels change radically week to week so I have to vary my calorie intake to match it. On a bad week 7-800c a day is fine. Its difficult to suddenly go up to 1500 or 2000 calories a day on a good week. When I have energy i have to feed the beast. The eternal question, am I exhausted in a normal way or extra tired because I didn't eat enough on any given day. It's easy to go overboard in either direction.

We're not getting the excessive heat that others have seen, but upper 80s to 90s with high humidity is just too much for this Yankee of Nordic heritage. Went out at 7 this morning and did all the weedeating, cut down a mulberry tree and some saplings, and cut all the grass. And 'bout died. The bugs were awful, those little black flies that hover and get behind your glasses and up your nose were a torment. The humidity is at 90% and the temp went up 12 degrees while I was out there. Came crawling in a little while ago and am sitting here soaking up the AC til it's time to take a shower and head out.
I'm meeting the seller today to negotiate a final purchase price on the house I want to buy. Thankfully my brother is coming with me just to watch that I don't make any mistakes. I've really struggled with thinking since I had the c virus and I feel like I only have two brain cells left, and they don't talk to each other much. I'm really hoping this works out, smaller house but with more property. Wish me luck!
Urban I hope you can get a handle on it. My Husband was a diabetic and it was a real struggle for him.
Peanut somehow I too got the mental image of suspenders and underpants. Wasn't there a super hero like that once?
Amish and Snappy prayers for your husbands.
Magus it'll feel good to have the bad teeth out. I just had one yanked a few weeks ago - it was actually still a baby tooth so I figure I got my use out of it - and I don't miss it. Going back next week to get another pulled, I'll be glad to have the ache gone. It is odd to get used to the gap, though.

We're not getting the excessive heat that others have seen, but upper 80s to 90s with high humidity is just too much for this Yankee of Nordic heritage. Went out at 7 this morning and did all the weedeating, cut down a mulberry tree and some saplings, and cut all the grass. And 'bout died. The bugs were awful, those little black flies that hover and get behind your glasses and up your nose were a torment. The humidity is at 90% and the temp went up 12 degrees while I was out there. Came crawling in a little while ago and am sitting here soaking up the AC til it's time to take a shower and head out.
I'm meeting the seller today to negotiate a final purchase price on the house I want to buy. Thankfully my brother is coming with me just to watch that I don't make any mistakes. I've really struggled with thinking since I had the c virus and I feel like I only have two brain cells left, and they don't talk to each other much. I'm really hoping this works out, smaller house but with more property. Wish me luck!
Urban I hope you can get a handle on it. My Husband was a diabetic and it was a real struggle for him.
Peanut somehow I too got the mental image of suspenders and underpants. Wasn't there a super hero like that once?
Amish and Snappy prayers for your husbands.
Magus it'll feel good to have the bad teeth out. I just had one yanked a few weeks ago - it was actually still a baby tooth so I figure I got my use out of it - and I don't miss it. Going back next week to get another pulled, I'll be glad to have the ache gone. It is odd to get used to the gap, though.
Good luck with the house, glad your brother is going with you!!

Made my town run, scored some good meats at Albertson's after dropping books at the library next door... a choice beef roast and some chicken legs with BBQ seasoning, haven't decided yet whether I wanna make Southwestern-style chicken & rice with fresh Hatch chiles, tomato and onion, or simply bake the yardbird in my NuWave Infrared Oven. I'll save the beef roast for later this weekend, one thing nice about the NuWave Oven is that it doesn't heat up the home, and it's too darned hot to BBQ this afternoon. I still gotta water the trees & plants again this evening as well, and that burns up 1-1/2 hours every time. Wish I had the money to put in an irrigation system, I know how to do it and have the experience but money is tight with these ridiculous Bidenomic bills I'm gettin'... my A/C bill alone will probably hit $200 this time around. I'll be glad to see the last of this fraudulent Biden scumbucket in office, that's for sure. :(

I may use the NuWave Oven to cook that beef roast later this weekend, it does a really nice job on roasts... I like my beef roasts somewhat rare and juicy, and I have my heart set upon mashed potatoes & brown gravy to go with that roast. Some real butter on those taters too, and a nice crisp green salad on the side, lol. Normally I wouldn't eat such a heavy meal during the summer, but we have that cooldown ahead, so I'm gonna take advantage of it. Besides, I have a craving for some good sliced roast beef with brown gravy, lol... it has been awhile since I had good roast beef with mashed potatoes & gravy, and that dish is always a hit with me when I'm hungry and I feel like mackin', lol. I can make some primo roast beef sandwiches afterward, using creamy horseradish sauce and some of the Hatch green chile guacamole I bought today... on toasted Italian bread with melted cheese, lol. :D

Here's the 3.58 lb. top round Angus beef roast I bought for $14.21, it should be mighty tasty when I cook it... :cool:

IMG_0359.JPG

Primo Hatch chile guacamole, one pack spicy, the other regular (for salads & tuna sandwiches), $3.97 each. ;)

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

Here's the yardbird I'm gonna cook tonight, 2 packs of big ol' drumsticks for under $6.25, lol... 🐔

IMG_0363.JPG

Bad boy fresh Hatch green chiles (extra hot) on sale, got this big ol' bag for $2.14, lol... Hatch chiles are the bomb! 😁

IMG_0365.JPG

That's one major advantage to living in New Mexico, the chiles are the best in the world, lol... so tasty! :thumbs:

Last edited:
Made my town run, scored some good meats at Albertson's after dropping books at the library next door... a choice beef roast and some chicken legs with BBQ seasoning, haven't decided yet whether I wanna make Southwestern-style chicken & rice with fresh Hatch chiles, tomato and onion, or simply bake the yardbird in my NuWave Infrared Oven. I'll save the beef roast for later this weekend, one thing nice about the NuWave Oven is that it doesn't heat up the home, and it's too darned hot to BBQ this afternoon. I still gotta water the trees & plants again this evening as well, and that burns up 1-1/2 hours every time. Wish I had the money to put in an irrigation system, I know how to do it and have the experience but money is tight with these ridiculous Bidenomic bills I'm gettin'... my A/C bill alone will probably hit $200 this time around. I'll be glad to see the last of this fraudulent Biden scumbucket in office, that's for sure. :(

I may use the NuWave Oven to cook that beef roast later this weekend, it does a really nice job on roasts... I like my beef roasts somewhat rare and juicy, and I have my heart set upon mashed potatoes & brown gravy to go with that roast. Some real butter on those taters too, and a nice crisp green salad on the side, lol. Normally I wouldn't eat such a heavy meal during the summer, but we have that cooldown ahead, so I'm gonna take advantage of it. Besides, I have a craving for some good slices of roast beef with brown gravy, lol... it has been awhile since I had good roast beef with mashed potatoes & gravy, and that dish is always a hit with me when I'm hungry and I feel like mackin', lol. Plus I can make some primo roast beef sandwiches afterward, using creamy horseradish sauce and some of the Hatch chile guacamole I bought today... on toasted Italian bread with melted cheese, lol. :D
I’ve got one of those NuWaves (dad hasn’t watched an infomercial he doesn’t like ;)), I do y prime rib roasts in it and they turn out fantastic! The inability to use it for gravy is the only thing I don’t like about it. I will use the McCormick‘s powder gravy mix and use beefstock to make and take a spoonful or two of the “drippings” in the pan of the NuWave to up the flavor.

The NuWave Oven can be a PITA to clean, but I only use it so often, and like my BBQ grill, I load up the NuWave until it's totally full, lol. I do the same thing with gravy when I'm cooking a beef roast in that oven, I'll use a packet of brown gravy but add the drippings to it... I use Pioneer or McCormick brand brown gravy packets, they aren't bad. The fresh foods I use so often in my cooking make up for any packaged gravy, lol... on holidays, I only use drippings from the turkey roaster (pan) to make homemade gravy, that's a must on Thanksgiving Day & Christmas Day. 🐔

P.S. I don't roast turkeys in the NuWave Oven, I use the conventional oven for those, lol... ;)

Latest posts

Back