What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am maintaining. I'm still 57 in a 90 year old body. I'm ok while sitting down or laying down. Once I stand up or try to do anything, every bit of energy leaves me. I went to the doctor last week. My blood pressure drops some but not enough to give me the symptoms that I have.
I had a good day the other day. I felt good , well good compared other days.
I put a bug in my doctors head. I was stationed at Ft. McClellan in the mid 80's. The barracks are now fenced off. It is a toxic waste nightmare. My wife was hit about 25-30 years ago. She has had everything removed. Double mastectomy and hysterotomy. She went into surgery as one person and came out as normal as could be It was very tough convincing the doctors at her age to remove everything. She is in fantastic health. There are several Facebook pages dedicated to health matters of us who were stationed there. Many people that we were stationed with are dead or going through something.
I tell people that I am like a used car. I look really good for my age. (Most people say I look really good.) But, Underneath I am totaled. It's hard to convince doctors that there is something wrong when you don't look like you should be lying in a casket.
Thank you for asking BTW. I very rarely see people. I usually am here at home looking out the front window while sitting in my chair. I did see a woman that I have known since I started the police dept.. How do you react when they start crying while remembering what you used to be like. Yeah.........
One would think just mentioning being stationed at Ft. McClellan would be a big flag for any doctor!! Glad for your wife now having good health!! You deserve that too, maybe time for another doctor's opinion!

The goat was fine when we checked her yesterday . Debating if I should give her another dose of coccidia medicine or not . You are supposed to give it at least 3 days but then if that wasn't it it's unecessary medicine. I have given them crackers, they love them. Used to give animal crackers to our milk goats for a treat , will try the peanut butter
A woman that we bought goats from years ago told us if goats get diarrhea to give them nutmeg, it works, even on dogs.

It's my day off!! Yay! Big thanks to Bear and the cats for making sure I was up at 3:45am! 🙄Was hoping for 5am! Anyhoooo, my usual mile long list is two miles long. But I am going to take Bear to the walking trails in the town to my south. We haven't been all summer (too hot) and he really needs to get out and do something! Why not a several mile walk?! After that I have plenty to do around here! Beautiful day ahead, mid 90's!

This morning I was out the door at 05:30, went grocery shopping at a town about 30 minutes away. I was there the other day for a doctors visit and I went in the grocery store, it was clean and had a well stocked produce department so I figured it had to be a well run store. I was able to get everything on my list, even the hard to get stuff the wife requests.... spending an hour driving to go shopping is a pia, but getting everything at one stop actually saved me some time.....

I'm off today and I hope to work in the garden and greenhouse some.

My back is better but not good enough to go hiking with a back pack yet.

Yesterday I looked at my leave balance, it was bad... I will be working 2 days a week for the rest of the year... I can learn to live with that, now if I can just not answer my phone or look at the puter....

A woman that we bought goats from years ago told us if goats get diarrhea to give them nutmeg, it works, even on dogs.
It probably depends on what causes the diarreah, if it is worms they need to be dewormed. If coccidia, I give them Corrid, but you can also leave it alone and see if it goes away on its own, if they ate something bad maybe nutmeg might work, if pneumonia I give them a shot of antibiotic. If something else, I don't know about it yet. But our adult goats almost never get it. LOL I am not completely paranoid about using modern livestock medicines for them....we never claim to be an organic farm, we just want the animals to do well and that sometimes includes giving them an antibiotic ( but rarely)if they are sick. Our sheep used to regularly get pneumonia when the weather changed and we would lose at least 1 a year to it. So I started giving them pneumonia vaccine and they haven't gotten it since.

It's pouring outside and taking care of the animals today is not going to be fun. We have to shuffle them around in the barn while cleaning and feeding them. I think the little ram is going to need to go into a stall by himself or 1 girl so we can combine all the rest of the sheep in one area to do that

My brother called me yesterday and I had some anxiety before answering the phone because I just knew it was going to be bad news from my dad....lol it was not. He is out of the hospital and they changed his medications a little he is just old and has a weak heart, but still alive.

I let Otto the bad doggie run around in the fenced pasture yesterday with one of the livestock dogs ( the girl) but she didn't want to play. Maybe she is getting old too. Trying to train him some more too but he already listens, just when something he feels he needs to chase comes along he doesn't . I think the only thing that keeps him from doing that is train him with a zap collar. I hate to do that. The female livestock dog Rosie, got over the fence all the time by jumping over the gate in the pasture so we put electric tape over it, attached to the electric fence ( it had none because the goats never jump over the gate) and she got zapped. Never did it again

Up too early as DH has doc appt. in the next town at 8am.
Will go to that first.
Then Lowe's for security screen door and a gallon of paint.
Then I will walk.
Start making out Christmas cards, so I don't put that off.

Only got 4 and a half hours sleep, so I hope to rest a bit today.
Supposed to get up to 88 degrees today. What happened to Fall?

Jake and his girlfriend are carving pumpkins, I’m letting the chickens carve mine.

IMG_0891.jpeg
IMG_0902.png

I just stretched out a 100 foot roll of wire for the chicken run. Of course that section of fence was 104 feet long. It's a real pain to splice this wire. Burned another 30 piles of yard debris this morning. The wind is coming up now so we'll quit burning.
Just one more section of fence to put up to finish the chicken run.

Home health care nurse and home health care physical therapist came today. Changed my bandage, ran me through my exercises, asked lots off questions. The PT was impressed with my progress. Flexion of that knee was a 98°. They are aiming for 120° overall.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpeg
    IMG_0125.jpeg
    966.1 KB · Views: 0
After checking 5he greenhouse I headed out to the shop. Finished cleaning up the surface rust and lubricating everything...

20231020_155043_HDR.jpg

I drilled all of the holes to allow me to assemble the fixture that will secure two heater pads.

20231020_155051_HDR.jpg

It went together as planned!

20231020_161958_HDR.jpg

20231020_162018_HDR.jpg

The heater pads were scavenged from a hair straightener gizmo. Next step is to create a press fixture that can apply a lot of pressure to the pads. In the end my son is trying to create a hot press. The hair straightener already had electronic temp control. He just needed more pressure than the hair straightener could apply.

It is hard to beat a day in the shop!

Ben

I took a nap yesterday & my brother wasn't feeling up to going with me. Road to Samsclub was closed with some sort of detour for construction so I didn't go. I did go to HomeDepot and pick up a 1x10. They cut it to size in the store for me and I also got some screws and shelf brackets. Went to Walmart after to grab some salads and stuff.

When I got home last night my coordination was garbage. Doors kept swinging back shut on me. Stuff I put in the fridge and freezer kept falling back out and I was in a foul mood. I'd asked my brother for help bringing groceries in and he didn't respond and then took his sweet time. I swore at him and then apologized. He gave me a hug and could tell I was having one of those days where stuff was going wrong and I was cranky.

Stomach is not feeling well this morning. I was going to get up and go prime the board but was too exhausted. Mom woke me up around noon wanting food so I got food and went back to take a nap again. Got up just before 3 to head into town to get mail. My PSU finally arrived. Had to look through the letters bc they keep putting stuff for the wrong boxes in my box.

My stomach doesn't hurt but just doesn't feel right. I'm about to take another nap bc I feel exhausted. Going to Walmart tomorrow to get some paint & primer for the hood I got for the UPS. Don't want it to be green. LOL. They have the paint locked up now so I'll do curbside.

I'm thinking tomorrow afternoon I might get my friend to put the power supply in the new computer case. Not ready to move all my old parts out until I have the new UPS setup. So I might wait until Sunday or Monday. Hoping I'll be feeling better tomorrow and not so tired.

Home health care nurse and home health care physical therapist came today. Changed my bandage, ran me through my exercises, asked lots off questions. The PT was impressed with my progress. Flexion of that knee was a 98°. They are aiming for 120° overall.
Glad you checked in, glad for the good report!! Hope you feel good!!

I took a nap yesterday & my brother wasn't feeling up to going with me. Road to Samsclub was closed with some sort of detour for construction so I didn't go. I did go to HomeDepot and pick up a 1x10. They cut it to size in the store for me and I also got some screws and shelf brackets. Went to Walmart after to grab some salads and stuff.

When I got home last night my coordination was garbage. Doors kept swinging back shut on me. Stuff I put in the fridge and freezer kept falling back out and I was in a foul mood. I'd asked my brother for help bringing groceries in and he didn't respond and then took his sweet time. I swore at him and then apologized. He gave me a hug and could tell I was having one of those days where stuff was going wrong and I was cranky.

Stomach is not feeling well this morning. I was going to get up and go prime the board but was too exhausted. Mom woke me up around noon wanting food so I got food and went back to take a nap again. Got up just before 3 to head into town to get mail. My PSU finally arrived. Had to look through the letters bc they keep putting stuff for the wrong boxes in my box.

My stomach doesn't hurt but just doesn't feel right. I'm about to take another nap bc I feel exhausted. Going to Walmart tomorrow to get some paint & primer for the hood I got for the UPS. Don't want it to be green. LOL. They have the paint locked up now so I'll do curbside.

I'm thinking tomorrow afternoon I might get my friend to put the power supply in the new computer case. Not ready to move all my old parts out until I have the new UPS setup. So I might wait until Sunday or Monday. Hoping I'll be feeling better tomorrow and not so tired.
Hope you get feeling better, something is not right!! Take care of yourself!! Glad your brother figured out you needed a hug!

Filled a cart at Aldi. Brought little granddaughter along, she was off school, and she was a help. Husband went along for the drive, but stayed in the truck. Got all the brooder babies out of the house and into the milkhouse today. They were getting stinky. Mean turkey toms did not like the metal handled broom I brought in the run today. We'll see how long that works. Picked two buckets of tomatoes. Brought down 9 flats of green tomatoes to the basement.

I'll be glad to send "Jack in the Box" to somebody that wants 💩food and rather poor service. I went ONCE. So many much better independant/not a chain resturants around so not to repeat the hideous nightmare
I taught GED classes for a couple years, in the evening. We went to Jack in the Box, with no problems. But I did hear that that particular one that we went to had employees who dealt drugs out it. No idea what they were dealing, but it got shut down permanently.

Tomorrow I am going to do something I said I would never do again.
I am going to drive right through the middle of Everett, Seattle, Tacoma, and Olympia.
100 + miles of bumper to bumper traffic pulling my travel trailer.
I am not looking forward to it but there is no other way for me to get from where I am to where I am going.
We are going to the coast for 5 days or longer.
My pistol will be close at hand and I am not stopping until I get well south of those hell holes.

So my full name, address, and party affiliation is out on the internet. I'm so tired of the whole thing, the constant loss of privacy,
The guy who was stalking me found out where I live through voter rolls. He admitted it when he told a group of people he knew where I lived. When they questioned him how he knew, he told them, told them he could take them to my house. He has never been here, at least that I know of. Such a brazen narcissistic person to do all of that. No need for voter registration to be on the internet.

Milking was an ordeal today, she decided to be extra stubborn and ornery. I did get 5.5 quarts though. Picked up meds at the vet today but was too dark to give injection by the time I got thru milking. I'll give it tomorrow. If there's no improvement by next weekend, I'll give meds to dry her up and switch baby to milk replacer. It's way too time consuming to wrangler her to milk daily for bottle feeding the baby. On the bright side, he's taking to the bottle well. I suppose he'll need a name now since I'll be feeding his fuzzy butt daily for the next few months.
E9796D38-270D-49F8-A536-A062CFA3AA70.jpeg

Milking was an ordeal today, she decided to be extra stubborn and ornery. I did get 5.5 quarts though. Picked up meds at the vet today but was too dark to give injection by the time I got thru milking. I'll give it tomorrow. If there's no improvement by next weekend, I'll give meds to dry her up and switch baby to milk replacer. It's way too time consuming to wrangler her to milk daily for bottle feeding the baby. On the bright side, he's taking to the bottle well. I suppose he'll need a name now since I'll be feeding his fuzzy butt daily for the next few months.
You have to give cows meds to dry them up? Good to know in case we ever get one. Sorry the baby can't nurse. I must have missed that but why? Mother doesn't let it, or calf can't do it? Our goats I just put on the milk stand and if they don't cooperate put a hobble on the legs so they can't kick ( the head is in the milk stand attached) . I have milked a cow , it is much harder than a goat ( WAY more milk) . Either way good luck. Milk replacers is very expensive , well maybe not for cows

I'd asked my brother for help bringing groceries in and he didn't respond and then took his sweet time. I swore at him and then apologized. He gave me a hug and could tell I was having one of those days where stuff was going wrong and I was cranky.
Hope you feel better today and I can relate to getting mad at people.
I was so mad at my son yesterday they heard me yelling in the next county I am sure and threw a coffee cup at the wall. Hey , at least I didn' t throw it at him
I TOLD him do not let Otto run off with your dog up into the woods ( after what happened a few days ago) . I told him if you must take Otto, put him on a leash. I went to feed the animals while husband was dropping off the broken Ranger, and what does son do?!! He lets the dogs run off into the woods. I came back from barn, and he says " um sorry, the dogs are gone..."

They came back after about half hour but man, I was SO mad at him. I have been not letting Otto run out without a leash, or fencing around and plan on doing that until he comes every time I call him. But the other dog is the one that starts it so no way they are running off together in the near future

You have to give cows meds to dry them up? Good to know in case we ever get one. Sorry the baby can't nurse. I must have missed that but why? Mother doesn't let it, or calf can't do it? Our goats I just put on the milk stand and if they don't cooperate put a hobble on the legs so they can't kick ( the head is in the milk stand attached) . I have milked a cow , it is much harder than a goat ( WAY more milk) . Either way good luck. Milk replacers is very expensive , well maybe not for cows
Depends on the situation and how much milk they have but yes sometimes meds are needed. She's having issues with her teets that makes it impossible for the baby to get his mouth around them and also they're clogging up somehow. I have to squeeze incredible hard for a long time before they'll unclog. I run her into the squeeze chute to milk her, she's wild unpredictable and has horns. I'd rather not have use milk replacer because it isn't cheap, but I also can't spend 2 hours a day fighting with her to milk every day for the next 4-5 months. This is after milking over a gallon out.
6CFDC320-9773-4305-9711-E55CC2C6AB8E.jpeg

They do look very close together. We have some goats with 4 ( they are only supposed to have 2), it's a Boer defect that is quite common. But some of them manage to feed their kids. The milk goat is the backup. Usually our problem is too many kids. I think last bag of goat milk replacer I got was around $60 and it didn't last all that long , if I find store milk at a good price I buy that

Back