What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My little Aussie did great today!! Many dogs have fun with obedience training, not this one☹️! She is a bossy puppy and can outsmart her owners. She is sharp when it comes to working, but would rather not! Hubby set up the ping pong table in his shop today! None of our vehicles are in there, lol!! We had a blast, and will play daily, great exercise! Gets a little wild😮😃! Had fun with my two 93 yr old friends today! Great lunch, they pretty much behaved!! One had too much coffee and out danced an 86yr old man🤪!!😃😃😃

Bit of a rough day: this morning when Hubby went out to start the pickup, our cat was in the engine. She lived but wasn’t in good shape. Called emergency- closest is 1.5 hr away or wait until local vet opened. Got her “comfortable” then dealt with my upset nervous energy (lost my glasses) until the vet opened- was there early but they were nice enough to get us right in. Had to have her put down. May sound sappy to some here but I miss her. She was a good cat and good hunter. Came home and buried her. Hubby came home from work early and we’ve been in a bit of a funk all day. Went down and took a booklet to my folks and chatted a while (good distraction) then went out to dinner to a place that we had been to once 6-7 years ago. I think new owners. It was excellent. Now home 🏡

Bucks haven't been making sign here. Been seeing something odd all summer though, even last week. Doe's moving in daylight, think i mentioned it before. Several times a month while driving i see them, almost weekly, very unusual. They almost never move in daylight unless disturbed. But this is wide spread, 100 miles of rural roads. I expect to see 5 or 6 a year, not often. But in these numbers? can't guess why either.
You mean you never see deer in the daylight? We have does out in the daylight all the time and always have, so it's natural around here. Mostly see them just after daybreak for a while, and and about an hour or so before sunset. They move in herds between woodlots, chowing on the crops along the way. At my new place they come through the back yard every day about midmorning and either move on to the next property, or bed down by my shed. I had to chuckle a bit the other day, they sniffed around for a while and then bedded down where the buck had been pawing. Like how I used to steal my Husband's pillow because it smelled like his aftershave.
Today I went to a neighboring town to buy an antique wash stand I found on fb marketplace. It's going to be the new vanity in the utility room bath. When done, I'll have maybe $300 into a solid wood, durable piece. The prices for the particle board vanities at the store are just insane.
Home inspector looking at the old house tomorrow. Please pray he doesn't find anything that scuttles the deal!

I mowed up leaves all day, I was so dirty looked like I had been rooting around with the pigs. We are getting our stuff ready to hunt in the morning, deer season starts first thing tomorrow.

IMG_1342.jpeg

Last edited:
Bit of a rough day: this morning when Hubby went out to start the pickup, our cat was in the engine. She lived but wasn’t in good shape. Called emergency- closest is 1.5 hr away or wait until local vet opened. Got her “comfortable” then dealt with my upset nervous energy (lost my glasses) until the vet opened- was there early but they were nice enough to get us right in. Had to have her put down. May sound sappy to some here but I miss her. She was a good cat and good hunter. Came home and buried her. Hubby came home from work early and we’ve been in a bit of a funk all day. Went down and took a booklet to my folks and chatted a while (good distraction) then went out to dinner to a place that we had been to once 6-7 years ago. I think new owners. It was excellent. Now home 🏡
I've never lost a cat that way. So sorry, sappy or not, it is normal to grieve the life of a little furry friend.
:huggs:

I mowed up leaves all day, I was so dirty looked like I had been rooting around with the pigs. We are getting are stuff ready to hunt in the morning, deer season starts first thing tomorrow.

View attachment 119434
It’s past deer season here. Is it a late season or just because we’re on opposite sides of the nation? Elk season here.

My little Aussie did great today!! Many dogs have fun with obedience training, not this one☹️! She is a bossy puppy and can outsmart her owners. She is sharp when it comes to working, but would rather not! Hubby set up the ping pong table in his shop today! None of our vehicles are in there, lol!! We had a blast, and will play daily, great exercise! Gets a little wild😮😃! Had fun with my two 93 yr old friends today! Great lunch, they pretty much behaved!! One had too much coffee and out danced an 86yr old man🤪!!😃😃😃
I see an Aussie every afternoon, Monday through Friday. Yes, she is bossy and oh so smart. When people tell me she is a sweet dog, I tell them that she is, but she can also act like a female dog! She knows how to work people and other dogs!

She will get into trying to outsmart me. She goes through streaks of misbehavior of different sorts. We have a 45 minute visit to the dog park, unless one of her or my friends are there, and then we might be there for up to 2 hours. She went through a period of time where she would hear my timer go off and would run away instead of coming to me or to the gate to leave. When dogs get in my car, anytime, they get a treat, a small piece of dried salmon skin. We had been having a few days of her resistance, and one day it was particularly challenging. I told her, "No treats in the car." I finally got her and we got into the car. She did not get a treat that day and she has never resisted leaving the park since. She is so smart, she doesn't have to hear the timer, she knows when it is about to go off and comes to me to put on her leash.

The 5th load just went in the washer, down to a few rags, old towels i put in front of doors to control air, an old blanket etc. Everything else folded and put away. I'm done for the evening. Need to iron a couple shirts but that can wait til morning. No energy to go anywhere but my clothes are clean!

Bit of a rough day: this morning when Hubby went out to start the pickup.....Now home 🏡

I'm so sorry. I felt so guilty when i did it years ago. Not a good way to lose a critter, it's easier knowing the time is close than suddenly... 😧

You mean you never see deer in the daylight? We have does out in the daylight all the time and always have, so it's natural around here. Mostly see them just after daybreak for a while, and and about an hour or so before sunset.

Sorry, stumble all over my own words sometimes. What i was trying to say... unusual time. Not normal dusk/dawn feeding. I meant during full daylight near roads. Here they bed down after early feeding. That's where they'll spend most of the day. Might browse a little but they don't travel or cross highways unless there's a very good reason. I'm seeing deer moving when their normal routine is sleeping.

Funny, i hear them more often than i see them, deer i mean. While out scouting plants i disturb deer often, I hear them running. Brush is pretty thick in places i go and i hear them crash through it sometimes. I rarely walk close enough to see them.

This is why... i found some 9 bark growing in a new place last june. This is the kind of place I hunt plants. I could barely see 25ft. 😁 I hear them as close as 30-40ft, just can't see them. They snort, make all kinds of noises. 🤣

20230608_121155sm.jpg

Last edited:
@LadyLocust, I'm so sorry about your cat. We lost a few kittens that way. Learned to always bang on the hood in winter and sometimes opened it up to check after that. Happened back in the 80s. It's not sappy. Cats are beloved members of the family-- as are dogs.

I'm still feeling cruddy & tired. Had to file a complaint with Fedex about their driver leaving my packages out in the rain and boxes getting soaked. I haven't opened them yet as I'm feeling sick.

Wet cat just came in from outside and climbed on my lap. I'm behind on litterboxes so he does his business outside. Feeling rather cranky. Trying to figure out if my friend can fix the microwave for us.

I missed your rabbit updates!! Do you still have them? Are you moving them? Glad you are getting out of there
Yes, we still have our breeders. I got transport 'holes' to move them with us when we do leave. I have been talking to other breeders about how they transport cross state lines with their show buns so I am prepared and have some idea how to take care of them when we do make the 3-4 days road trip. I have all the supplies ready to go and everything is set up. I got nervous during the wildfire season so I set it up then just in case.

One breeder I was chatting with sneaks her buns into her hotel room when she takes them to shows. She showed me how her transport holes fit in side of these zipper storage bags from Amazon. I checked the measurements of mine and they will fit too! Since they would stay in the holes during the trip I am not too worried about them hurting themselves running around a hotel room.

I even got some folding cages so I can set them up in their own spaces once we get moved. Since we are hiring a company to move the "big" stuff I figured the large hutches could be cleaned and sent on the truck and we could take the folding cages for temp housing. We using the folding ones for grow-outs so getting a few extras so our breeders each have their own cage was a no-brainer.

Yes @Grimm i thought you were here already.
Elderberry good stuff. I haven’t gotten any new batches of anti-plague. Might still have some. It is strong on the garlic also.
Not yet. Our current lease ends Nov 15th. Then we are month to month. The company K is talking to will not have any jobs they can put him on until the end of winter. No biggie. That gives us time I guess.

Btw I want your anti-plague recipe, please.

Glad you're close to getting out of there! Even better you checked in, been wondering how yall were. Even thought of something the other day i was going to ask you. Oh, something about Santa Clarita, i used to live there... darn it, now i can't remember. 😁
Let me know when you remember. ;)

Didn't sleep well last night, probably the inactivity of the rain day yesterday . Have a club meeting today, and need to clean barn. Everyone is going back out, stopped raining

Grimm, that's great you have a way to move your rabbits!

Ladylocust: sorry about your cat, I have heard this happening to people many times

I have a loose tooth, can't sleep, too early to get drunk or a wake "N" bake.
When I did sleep, Sasquatch was after me.

I see an Aussie every afternoon, Monday through Friday. Yes, she is bossy and oh so smart. When people tell me she is a sweet dog, I tell them that she is, but she can also act like a female dog! She knows how to work people and other dogs!

She will get into trying to outsmart me. She goes through streaks of misbehavior of different sorts. We have a 45 minute visit to the dog park, unless one of her or my friends are there, and then we might be there for up to 2 hours. She went through a period of time where she would hear my timer go off and would run away instead of coming to me or to the gate to leave. When dogs get in my car, anytime, they get a treat, a small piece of dried salmon skin. We had been having a few days of her resistance, and one day it was particularly challenging. I told her, "No treats in the car." I finally got her and we got into the car. She did not get a treat that day and she has never resisted leaving the park since. She is so smart, she doesn't have to hear the timer, she knows when it is about to go off and comes to me to put on her leash.
This particular Aussie was a gift from the couple's daughter!🙄 They had two mixed breeds and we're not looking to get another dog after losing the two to old age. This Aussie is very challenging for them! Miniature Aussies we're not made as a cute pocket variety pet, they were developed as a small working breed. Australia Shepherds actually came from Spain, the Spaniards brought them to Australia to leave in charge of flocks. These are not fighting/protection dogs, they had to make decisions to move their flocks to safety. They had to be smart, aware, and boss the herd to do what they wanted them to do. They don't like people being the alpha/leader! Aussies will get aggressive sometimes with their owners if they are not taught that they do not run the show!!

I'm SO SORRY!! That happened to my Baby Cakes five years ago. Thanksgiving day, Hubby started his Impala to warm it up, clunk, clunk, clunk.......she took off into the woods! I searched all day, no luck!! She came back days later with a swollen head and foggy eye, limping! Don't know where she holed up or how she lived through it!!

Normal Chores today--- Extra care with the chickens, goof balls have had some issues (Besides the cold weather and time change). They drive me crazy, but I love them!!

I have some computer work to do for my Brother in Law for his business. Trying to pick up a few things to make a bit of extra money right now for hay and Christmas.

Right now though I'm drinking coffee, and one of our kiddos is making waffles for Veterans day for his Daddy.

We were so young in this picture!
401085969_10160222102719006_8664131680937993154_n.jpg

I'm SO SORRY!! That happened to my Baby Cakes five years ago. Thanksgiving day, Hubby started his Impala to warm it up, clunk, clunk, clunk.......she took off into the woods! I searched all day, no luck!! She came back days later with a swollen head and foggy eye, limping! Don't know where she holed up or how she lived through it!!
We’ve had several Ausies over the years. One we had when I was growing up, we had to tie during the day. If we forgot, she’d keep the sheep 🐑 all gathered up in a corner of the pasture all day long and they wouldn’t be able to graze 😂. She was a great working dog.

Normal Chores today--- Extra care with the chickens, goof balls have had some issues (Besides the cold weather and time change). They drive me crazy, but I love them!!

I have some computer work to do for my Brother in Law for his business. Trying to pick up a few things to make a bit of extra money right now for hay and Christmas.

Right now though I'm drinking coffee, and one of our kiddos is making waffles for Veterans day for his Daddy.

We were so young in this picture!
View attachment 119448
Haven’t had waffles in ages- sounds good 😁

Well...it was bound to happen at some point.
I dont know alot of details yet ..
Yesterday morning the mill was broke down for most of the day, so I spent about 5 hours or so working with a contract cleaning crew that was hired to clean for a few days.
All the cleaning crew (3 people)had quit about 2 weeks ago , when I'm on day shift I've been helping the crew out by joining them for the last month or so. I mostly stick to cleaning my area since it is a big area to clean AND most importantly..I know all the safety issues n hazards when were running. I've always helped keep it up but it's just easier to do it this way.
Anyways, so myself, 8 guys and the other mill guy supervising the crew cleaned up my area in about 5 hours. It was great as it usually takes me days after it hasn't been cleaned.
They move on but made there way out behind my machine. This area is a mess to..I never got to out back this week because i only cleaned tues n wed. The last two days I ran my machine. I was stacking but it was slow, so when I could the last two hours I'd pop out back n help them when I could.
All was good, the sun was out and it seemed all groovy. Folks were working a nice pace and I thanked the guys for a great day, debriefed the night shift stacker and clocked out.
As I'm driving off the mountain, I see a state police and sheriff's rig drive past , lights on no sirens. I think that's not good..I think ok..all the guys were over outside with their crew boss and our crew boss by the metal recycling bin by the cogen..safe area..I didnt hear anything on my cb when I left when I was in range anyways..so hopefully the cops aren't headed to the mill.
About a hour later my phone starts blowing up from co workers.
A few minutes after I left, one of the guys had wandered over below one of the machines and got caught up in equipment.
I dont have much details..but he was killed.
So..it ended up a pretty tragic situation..
Feeling kinda bla..
After I walk the dogs, I'm going to focas on chores.
I think I'll attempt to put the garden to bed . I usually do this sooner but since we havent had snow yet and I havent had time , I'll take advantage of a semi nice day.
Well..now its cloudy..crap..

Back