What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a great day..
I woke up at 450..it was 18 outside and cold in here. I checked the temp , it said 64 in the tin can here but I think it was colder at my end.
I debated stirring up the coals n getting the fire going again but..I was still tired n wanted to sleep a bit more.
I opted for another blankie..cranked up the heated blankie n ended up oversleeping.
I still got up in time to shower, make cocoa rice krispie treats n church.
Then went to the dump..it was closed.
So went n got scratch feed n gased up truckie..
Home and took dogs on a walk around my hood. I'm trying to stick close to home since the talk about the dog pneumonia outbreak is circulating.
I found a tiny hoof ..I'm thinking a premature deer baby hoof and a rock that is Brown n glassy like obsidian.
Sputtered around in 32 degree high..but sunny for a bit. Then came in n started laundry, n almost finished my latest rug.
Just watched a UFO documentary..onto 3rd eye spies now..
Relaxing to have some time off..

A quiet day here at the farm. It stayed in the low 60's, perfect to get outside stuff done, but there was a drizzly rain all day.
So, I stayed inside with the most beautiful woman in the world. We just celebrated 34 years of marriage on Friday.

I did make a run into town, for bananas and a pecan pie, but that was all.
Except for this evening - I drove 16 miles to the next town down the line and went to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. If it wasn't for AA I wouldn't be celebrating 34 years of marriage. In fact, I'd probably have drunk myself to death years ago. Just like my brother.
There are moderate drinkers, there are heavy drinkers, and then there are real alcoholics. The medical text book definition. Our DNA is missing a link or two.

I got my new scout rifle back from the gunsmith, modeled a couple of ships for my story, got sick and here we are.
Kingu station.png
Zeuss outpost.png
headed out.png

We did Fondue for Christmas Eve dinner... Wife wanted something different and the Son provided the incentive to do it. They left the stove top really grimy, smooth top stoves do not like having grease sprayed and burned on to it's surface, so after taking a short nap I got up and scrubbed it back to clean so they can mess it up again tomorrow.....

Was thinking about what they were planning for tomorrow and it made me start thinking about a nice big porterhouse with one of those pecan pies....
The wife and son are planning to do sea food, and not the kind I generally like....

Just had some power spikes, don't know what up, maybe St.Nick nicked a pole.. :)

Its 4:00 AM on Christmas day:
I have the trotts from some canned nacho cheese, the raccoons think I'm their daddy and keep trying to sleep with me, it's raining and I can't sleep but an hour at a time because "Sweetie" keeps fighting the cats for a warm spot.

Merry Christmas, you all!
Will walk first.
Walk dogs.
Already have laundry going.
Need to finish up some paperwork and visit a friend.
Quiet day!

We just celebrated 34 years of marriage on Friday.
Happy Belated Anniversary, RPD!

wow, I am the first one up today :)
Merry Christmas to you all
Going to put the animals out, clean, fill up the hay feeders and then put them back in soon. Supposed to rain a lot today
going to put a turkey in the oven in a few hours
will call daughter in Florida ( but we already texted yesterday)
already talked to all my relatives in Europe. My dad is better ( he had Covid finally, despite his 20 vaccinations ) and went to stay with my brother for the holidays, so that's good.

After feeding and hauling water to all the critters we'll go up the hill and try calling the kids and grandkids. Looks like it'll be a beautiful sunny day today. Might get up to 20 degs later. We're going to have a prime rib for Christmas dinner tonight.
internet is slow today, I guess you posted before me...lol, have a nice Christmas

Waiting for daughter and granddaughter to wake up. Husband woke me up coughing. We got to bed pretty late. Son should be a few hours in on the train. Daughter and I will take the car in to go pick up the truck at the train station at some point today. Light dusting of snow, it looks like. Merry Christmas~

Got woke up at 1am this morning to what sounded like a gun shot out back. I went out to check on it found an exploded bottle of soda. I forgot that I put a six-pack on the back deck yesterday to cool off. So I brought the rest of them in and put them in the sink. Less than a minute later another one exploded. What a mess to clean up. Never even woke the wife up either.

My internet speeds are normal when I run a test on speedtest.net. But this forum is slow. I have gotten the little orange three-bar slowness icon thingy in the upper right of the forum webpages a couple of times today. That is put up there by the forum itself, so the forum knows it's slow (it doesn't know about my overall internet connection).

Darn Roscoe tried to steal my toe around dawn, then has the gall to stand there like:
"Where's breakfast fatty?"
I cracked a can of cheap sardines and let the little B*tard figure it out.
He did.
Left it right in front of the door.
I can swear they have a spoken language! 0_0
When they figure out bows and arrows, we're doomed unless we have Doritos, throw a handful of them into the swarm and they will destroy each other,

My internet speeds are normal when I run a test on speedtest.net. But this forum is slow. I have gotten the little orange three-bar slowness icon thingy in the upper right of the forum webpages a couple of times today. That is put up there by the forum itself, so the forum knows it's slow (it doesn't know about my overall internet connection).
Ditto, and my phone service is crappy as well. I thought the flares were over?
Does anyone have the new NOAA solar weather page?

After feeding and hauling water to all the critters we'll go up the hill and try calling the kids and grandkids. Looks like it'll be a beautiful sunny day today. Might get up to 20 degs later. We're going to have a prime rib for Christmas dinner tonight.
You will be finding flecks of pop for years. FYI - spaghetti sauce is the same 😖

I wish my tooth was gone, I'd make a pecan-encrusted steak with a bacon wrap.

Side note:
Campbells soup is good food, but their canned nacho cheese is not, I repeat NOT food! It made me and the Coon Kids sick and the possum would not touch it!

It's slow here too.
Lovely sunshine outside..cold though..not really looking forward to the dog walk when its 18 degrees.
I gotta finish the rug today..
Later I will be joining my friends for dinner. I'd rather just stay home by my stove tho. I'd rather hang out in warm weather because when it's cold I'm all about stovie..

Good night y'all, see you Christmas morning!! 😮 Can I Really See you🤔!!
I hope not! I haven’t even brushed my hair today or showered.
A quiet day here at the farm. It stayed in the low 60's, perfect to get outside stuff done, but there was a drizzly rain all day.
So, I stayed inside with the most beautiful woman in the world. We just celebrated 34 years of marriage on Friday.

I did make a run into town, for bananas and a pecan pie, but that was all.
Except for this evening - I drove 16 miles to the next town down the line and went to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. If it wasn't for AA I wouldn't be celebrating 34 years of marriage. In fact, I'd probably have drunk myself to death years ago. Just like my brother.
There are moderate drinkers, there are heavy drinkers, and then there are real alcoholics. The medical text book definition. Our DNA is missing a link or two.
I’m glad you are taking care of yourself. Congratulations on a great marriage.
I noticed my net is slow today too, I hope it doesn't have the FLU...

I think I will do some cleaning and then act like a lump of coal.....
No fly, COVID!
Darn Roscoe tried to steal my toe around dawn, then has the gall to stand there like:
"Where's breakfast fatty?"
I cracked a can of cheap sardines and let the little B*tard figure it out.
He did.
Left it right in front of the door.
I can swear they have a spoken language! 0_0
When they figure out bows and arrows, we're doomed unless we have Doritos, throw a handful of them into the swarm and they will destroy each other,
Be careful with that sardine cans. Don’t they have sharp edges?

Been taking care of Mom. She's doing much better but her blood sugar is still all over the place. don't have to test her as often at least. She hasn't needed help getting up, putting her socks on, getting dressed, etc. She's walking through the hallway a lot faster now and doesn't have to stop to rest on her way between the living room and her bedroom. Her appetite has greatly improved. The toaster my sister got me for Xmas has been great. Best toaster I've ever had I think. She even got me a cover for it. Mom has been wanting eggs and toast in the morning/early afternoon.

Also binge-watched like 18 episodes of the chinese soap opera that was linked in the what are you watching thread. Finished watching season 1 of the Quantum Leap reboot. Watched some Home Renovision DIY videos on Youtube. I just ate sandwich (had to share some with the dog Princess to avoid hurting her feelings). Rupert climbed on me when I was heading to my room and had decided he has to rub his nose on my face and is now licking my chin. This poor cat has inner ear damage so his balance is bad, no teeth, and is blind in one eye but he's a happy kitty because he gets his canned food and cuddles. He's sitting on me purring away.

I'm debating whether or not I should drive an hour to the Chinese place to get takeout for dinner or if I should stay home and try to find something to cook. I'll probably be taking a nap soon though.

Hope everyone is doing well today.

Be careful with that sardine cans. Don’t they have sharp edges?
Animals seem to be immune from the sharp stuff. We had a German Shepard who decided one day that she was hungry. So unknown to us, she headed into the kitchen and opened the cabinet. After a bit of browsing, she evidently decided on chili. So she grabbed a can of it and took it back to her bed. Later we found the empty can - a bunch of holes chewed in it - not a bite of food left inside the can - not a single cut on the dog - no spilled chili on her bed. To this day we still have no idea how she did it.

After that day, she learned that canned goods were her friend. We'd go to find something that we knew was in the cabinet, but it wouldn't be there. We got in the habit of checking behind her bed. She usually had a stockpile of cans back there. I guess she was prepping.

I wish my tooth was gone, I'd make a pecan-encrusted steak with a bacon wrap.

Side note:
Campbells soup is good food, but their canned nacho cheese is not, I repeat NOT food! It made me and the Coon Kids sick and the possum would not touch it!
Next time feed it to the Possum first, if he doesn't touch it neither should you... See it does pay to have friends in low places... ;)

Back