What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah my father never took a drink of alcohol in his life, but I was on the verge of being full blown at one time.

I was a three drink goner, never drank beer always drank hard stuff mostly 10 year old Charter and 151 Bacardi.

I would drink three Highball glasses first 50/50 second 25/75, third straight 151.

After that it was straight till I was far enough gone to be Out of town.

Somewhere I ended up in some bed and got up the next morning sometime and went about my business.

I ran with a much older crowd that played for keeps and they took care of me even when I was rowdy.

They knew me well and I didn't know anything.

It was a different time and things were more real I guess.

Alex had a open house today.

Attachments

• IMG_2500.jpeg
    IMG_2500.jpeg
    498.1 KB · Views: 0
I cooked for Mom, searched for some tools to no avail, got mail, took Mom's computer over to friend's house. It's toast. He pulled the m.2 drive and removed her data from it. Pulled the 2.5" SSDs he'd put in. Ripped off all the mesh and tape I'd put on it and then put it all back in its box for me. I found the receipt in my app on my phone and showed it to the clerk & she processed the return. She did check to make sure all the accessories were there and that the serial number matched.

Ordered a Minisforum computer https://www.amazon.com/MINISFORUM-7940HS-Radeon-USB3-2-PCIe4-0/dp/B0CCX744RD/
It's a better computer and was less expensive than the one from Walmart.

Cooked for Mom again and even made a burger for my brother since he got home just as I was cooking.

So for those of you that pray, send some prayers to my daughter, maybe you have a higher chance of success than I did with that...her husband is still sick

plus our last big and fat sheep still hasn't had her lambs yet, and her udder looks too big, hope she is not getting mastitis. So far no problems with the lambing, it would be nice to not have any issues this year, last year we had to call vet on one to pull out the babies ( she did fine this year) and a few stillborn lambs. Oh, the last one that had her lambs the night before last popped out another one after we left. I thought she was done, didn't look lopsided or act like there was another one coming....anyway all 3 lambs are ok,might have to help feed one, but so far she is not rejecting any. But she raised 3 last year so should be ok

Son made it back from his hiking trip and his car is going in the shop for new tires and have the belt checked. Question for you mechanics : is a squeaking belt a problem? It's not old or cracked but it looks like it is slightly off center on the bottom tensioner pulley thingy. No other problems

pouring today, everyone stays in and we have to rotate the animals around to clean
might go shopping

I don't remember ever seeing my father drink a glass of water. He only drank coffee, beer, whiskey and occasionally a glass of wine for dinner.
when I was growing up in Germany, nobody drank regular water. You can't even get a glass of water in a restaurant, never even mind ice in it LOL
They drink this nasty salty bottled mineral water , coffee, tea , juice and lots of beer, and some soda. I think half the country has kidney problems

UH yeah, never been on there, never want to, never even looked at a page, not gonna.

I like people, not electronic companions that profess to see all, tell all and psychoanalyze the world.

I would rather get a cussing and I don't like those either.
I use the marketplace on there quite a lot, found a vehicle last year and find hay there also , it's better than Craigslist

I cooked for Mom, searched for some tools to no avail, got mail, took Mom's computer over to friend's house. It's toast. He pulled the m.2 drive and removed her data from it. Pulled the 2.5" SSDs he'd put in. Ripped off all the mesh and tape I'd put on it and then put it all back in its box for me. I found the receipt in my app on my phone and showed it to the clerk & she processed the return. She did check to make sure all the accessories were there and that the serial number matched.

Ordered a Minisforum computer https://www.amazon.com/MINISFORUM-7940HS-Radeon-USB3-2-PCIe4-0/dp/B0CCX744RD/
It's a better computer and was less expensive than the one from Walmart.

Cooked for Mom again and even made a burger for my brother since he got home just as I was cooking.
Thanks, I'll put it on my list, but I await your review on the computer :)

So for those of you that pray, send some prayers to my daughter, maybe you have a higher chance of success than I did with that...her husband is still sick

plus our last big and fat sheep still hasn't had her lambs yet, and her udder looks too big, hope she is not getting mastitis. So far no problems with the lambing, it would be nice to not have any issues this year, last year we had to call vet on one to pull out the babies ( she did fine this year) and a few stillborn lambs. Oh, the last one that had her lambs the night before last popped out another one after we left. I thought she was done, didn't look lopsided or act like there was another one coming....anyway all 3 lambs are ok,might have to help feed one, but so far she is not rejecting any. But she raised 3 last year so should be ok

Son made it back from his hiking trip and his car is going in the shop for new tires and have the belt checked. Question for you mechanics : is a squeaking belt a problem? It's not old or cracked but it looks like it is slightly off center on the bottom tensioner pulley thingy. No other problems

pouring today, everyone stays in and we have to rotate the animals around to clean
might go shopping
That squeaky belt that looks off center could be one of the pulleys. Hopefully the shop it's going to checks it out properly and doesn't just change the belt!

Of schedule today, going to my Thursday job. This lady is dog sitting for her son this morning and he wants me to 'dog and mom' sit!! I would have cleaned his house today, so we just switched days! Bear got me up at 2:30, guess he set his clock back already🙄! I went back to bed for two hours, actually slept!! Last warm day for a bit, hopefully some pool float time. Rain and storms starting tonight through Friday morning!

Of schedule today, going to my Thursday job. This lady is dog sitting for her son this morning and he wants me to 'dog and mom' sit!! I would have cleaned his house today, so we just switched days! Bear got me up at 2:30, guess he set his clock back already🙄! I went back to bed for two hours, actually slept!! Last warm day for a bit, hopefully some pool float time. Rain and storms starting tonight through Friday morning!
Teddy went off a 3 am, a raccoon dared to cross the yard. That raccoon is FAST, well, faster than me :p. Someday that little REDACTED is gonna be a hat.

Just a normal day, running a little slow, hope to kick things up a notch shortly.

@sonya123 if the belt is not squarely centered on the pulley it will slip and squeal, usually they don't jump off on their own. Is the belt relatively new? If so it may have been installed incorrectly. Once the belt is off they should check to see if the belt has a new groove cut in it from running on the edge of the pulley, at that point I would replace the belt just to be safe and then check every pulley to make sure that everything is in good shape. I have seen bearings on water pumps go bad and you couldn't see how bad it was till the belt was off.

Just a normal day, running a little slow, hope to kick things up a notch shortly.

@sonya123 if the belt is not squarely centered on the pulley it will slip and squeal, usually they don't jump off on their own. Is the belt relatively new? If so it may have been installed incorrectly. Once the belt is off they should check to see if the belt has a new groove cut in it from running on the edge of the pulley, at that point I would replace the belt just to be safe and then check every pulley to make sure that everything is in good shape. I have seen bearings on water pumps go bad and you couldn't see how bad it was till the belt was off.
I will just add to this, the tension-er and idler bearings could be getting dry, extra load, on the alternator can cause a bit of noise.

Coffee, whining to my self about aches and pains, giving ,this time solicited advice.
Sounds like you might need a little more "hiccup" in your coffee so you don't notice the aches and pains 😂

Must have pulled my knee while sleeping. Was improving pretty well yesterday. Today hobbling worse again :mad: I have spuds to plant this weekend so it better get to healin'! That's all I have to say about that. Icing it at the moment.
Otherwise, work and attempt to stay out of trouble - or not get caught ;)

Coffee, whining to my self about aches and pains, giving ,this time solicited advice.
If something didn't hurt, I'd know I was dead.

Sonya, I hope your daughter's husband will get better soon. I never had sheep but I had a goat who had triplets once and she rejected one of them. I had to bottle feed the one that got rejected. Sweet little thing. I hope your sheep that hasn't given birth yet will do so without problems and that all the lambs will be healthy.

Thanks, I'll put it on my list, but I await your review on the computer :)
There is a video review of the same model when it first came out:
Mom got the 1TB m.2 SSD and 64Gb of DDR5 RAM. They said you can save money by ordering the barebones model and then putting in your own RAM, SSD, etc. I don't know if prices on stuff have gone up since then though. Apparently it is not too difficult to upgrade if you aren't happy with the type of RAM. For what Mom does, this should work great. It has two USB C thunderbolt ports on the front that can be connected to a tv or monitor to run 8k video. The two HDMI ports on the back can run 4k video. The computer itself can be mounted to the back of a VESA mount monitor or mounted to a wall or desk.

Had to call the doctor's office this morning to prove my brother wrong and that the appointment we were robocall-remindered of yesterday was for him. Once I confirmed I told him and he went. Doctor wants to change up his meds to make his insulin work better and prescribed antibiotics for his respiratory infection.

Just saw Mom walking down the hallway so she may want food soon.

Sonya, I hope your daughter's husband will get better soon. I never had sheep but I had a goat who had triplets once and she rejected one of them. I had to bottle feed the one that got rejected. Sweet little thing. I hope your sheep that hasn't given birth yet will do so without problems and that all the lambs will be healthy.

There is a video review of the same model when it first came out:
Mom got the 1TB m.2 SSD and 64Gb of DDR5 RAM. They said you can save money by ordering the barebones model and then putting in your own RAM, SSD, etc. I don't know if prices on stuff have gone up since then though. Apparently it is not too difficult to upgrade if you aren't happy with the type of RAM. For what Mom does, this should work great. It has two USB C thunderbolt ports on the front that can be connected to a tv or monitor to run 8k video. The two HDMI ports on the back can run 4k video. The computer itself can be mounted to the back of a VESA mount monitor or mounted to a wall or desk.

Had to call the doctor's office this morning to prove my brother wrong and that the appointment we were robocall-remindered of yesterday was for him. Once I confirmed I told him and he went. Doctor wants to change up his meds to make his insulin work better and prescribed antibiotics for his respiratory infection.

Just saw Mom walking down the hallway so she may want food soon.

My thanks, easier to ask. I'm kinda embarrassed to post the specs on what I am using now :). I'll be in the basement with my punchcard deck, drooling quietly :D. My first computer was a Sinclair zx80, i got to put it together.

Amazon will deliver it Friday.

Last edited:
I still remember seeing advertisements for computers that had a whole 3kb of RAM. I think my computer in Guam had like 32Mb of RAM. First computer we had was the Apple IIE with monochrome screen. No mouse. Mom has me beat though, she got a college degree in computer science when they still used punchcards. Programming COBOL via keyboard sucked enough, but she had to do it on punch cards. BASIC was much easier to do than COBOL.

I went to get stuff out of the fridge to cook for Mom and realized we had leftovers of the same thing I was about to cook. So I added some sauteed mushrooms and microwaved it. She said she liked it better with egg. I pointed out that it did have egg in it. But she ate most of it-- saved a little for her dog because she always gives him some table scraps. I was thinking of going to the post office but am not feeling like driving anywhere today. I'll go tomorrow when I pick up RXs from the pharmacy.

Back