What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right, I can't wait. My cousins give me a bad time every time I'm there. So does mom. Felt bad leaving my cousin this time, her husband is going with some back issues like my husband did a while back. He's in a lot of pain and is immobile. Her sons are coming in and building a handicapped bathroom on their farmhouse, so that'll help. She's super stressed. Feel bad I can't sit with her. Another weird thing is prepping the farm, but not really with animals and food growing. It's set up 100 times better than home, but I can't keep living things there yet. Now to convince husband. Ha. He did order new siding and new windows for a very large outbuilding we have there. A family member will be handling that. Also he asked my cousin's grandson to repair the greenhouse, and to repaint the milkhouse inside and out. Those Amish boys are hard workers. I just have to find a way to pay the teen where it would be acceptable to his mama. She already announced that they would not be taking payment for the work. This is always tricky. Maybe I can pay him in poultry.

I can understand you feeling bad about not sitting with your cousin :( @Amish Heart it must be hard for her and you. It does sound like your husband may be warming to the idea of moving though if he is doing up the farm.

The payment of poultry sounds like a good idea or maybe homemade items such as cakes or preserves or something handmade that is personal to the Amish boy who is doing the work being a favourite subject or theme. Although being Amish I would suspect they are into self reliance in a big way and may preserve and make a lot of things themselves.

Last edited:
Woke up late this morning and it seems our sleep patterns are all adjusted now that we have settled in. We seem to be sleeping 8 - 10 hours a night probably because we were going non stop for months before our move and continued doing maintenance and things when we got into our home too. DH then put on a loaf of bread in the bread making machine and I paid all our bills online and allocated funds into bills, grocery and electricity accounts to pay for bills that will come later this year. We break our bills down into fortnightly increments and put all the money aside into a specific bills account each fortnight.

We did however get out into the yard at about 1pm and took down 2 upright vineyard posts and another 3 this afternoon before sunset. If we can do that for the next few days we will have the vineyard deconstruction finished and be ready to start constructing our kangaroo proof garden enclosure once our above ground garden beds get here along with our petrol post hole auger.

Tonight's dinner was bacon and egg sandwiches and dessert was a slice of our homemade whole orange cake.

Family you got to love them.
My dad and oldest son ganged up on me yesterday.
Both asked if I was going back to Bingo hall Tuesday evening.
Course I said no, to soon.
So they each gave me a twenty and said pretty much the same thing.
If I don't go back tonight, I probably won't ever again.
So lady who sits across from me at Bingo, called she needs a ride for tonight.
and I had told her before this all happened, just call if you need a ride.
So we're going to Bingo tonight.
Sitting here crocheting a scarf/shawl for Christmas gift for sister in law.
Both sons have been here in the last few days checking up on me.
They were both here when neighbors were going at it.
My wall decorations were falling off the wall that is the common wall between our apartments.
Both said I'm not staying here. Time to move.
Youngest son said I filched every time something heavy hit the common wall.
So will start saving money to move into new apartments north of town.
Neighbors fighting goes on morning, noon, night all hours of day and night.
Used to be quite complex, until this last 3 months.
Back when we had a management team who cared.
On site manager, maintance man, haven't seen them in about 2 months now.
They both moved out.
When new people bought the complex.
It's gone to heck, but they just want guareenteed money people in here(HUD).
So they are driving everybody else out.
Don't feel to safe here now.
So far this week, the neighborhood has had one car fire, one robbery, somebody broke into the laundry room again.
And it's only Tuesday.
Cleaned house this morning everything but running the sweeper.
Dishes are done.
Up dressed, ate breakfast and lunch.
Strawberry is asleep between my legs, covered up with a blanket.
Repotted all the flowers I kept, except the Tulips.
It's drizzling here, of course was going to put Tulips in whiskey barrel.
But I might melt or not.
Going to rest for awhile, then go check on dad.
Make sure he ran the dishwasher this week.
Take out trash little weekly chores.

I hope you can find a decent safe place to live, Mo. It's creepy, crazy, scary how others live sometimes.
My lease is up in October. I will enough saved long before then.
Hope to half as much as I need saved by June maybe July.
Both sons said they would help if I needed it.
I raised good sons.
Beings the apartments North of town are just an year old, should save money on electric bill.
It's a 55 and above apartment complex that routinely patrolled by law enforcement for good reasons not bad ones.

I was pretty happy with todays workout. All other things being equal when I go to bed knowing i had a good workout it was a successful day.

@MoBookworm1957 it sounds like your dad and brother have you pegged and can see you are hurting and want you to get back to your normal routine. Often families can see through the tough exterior and see the true marshmallow underneath. Take their advice and start doing some things for yourself :) , I know grief is a very complex and personal issue for everyone.

Sounds good you are going to move and sorry to hear you have feral neighbours. DH and I had a few in our time too and they just drive you crackers with noise and their bad behaviour too.

@Tank-Girl sorry to hear your computer is playing up, hopefully you will see one on sale or also look up ex government computers which are quite low cost if you can get them.

@hiwall glad you and your wife had a wonderful time spending time together and walking :) .

Didn't have to go in to work till late morning, and worked till 630. This morning before work was busy. Made dinner ahead of time. Worked on storing and labelling more stuff I picked up in bulk, and put in 1/2 gallon mason jars. Cleaned a high shelf in my laundry room to store stuff. Washed and hung four loads of laundry, emptied the dehydrator of peas and filled with mixed vegged. Chopped up 3 quart bags full of hot peppers for the freezer. Made more chicken food, and packed husband's lunch. Son and girlfriend are "slowly" moving out into their new place, so he comes in and gets boxes of kiwanos and vegetable starts that he has upstairs. I'm not going to clean the upstairs until all is moved. For living in our travel trailer, he sure had stuff spread out all over the house. Husband did order a Berkey for home and another for the school. Very soon, gone will be the days of lugging 5 gallon jugs of water from the little store to home; from the little store to the school. Looking forward to that.

Today we started off the early morning getting 3 more posts down in the vineyard and had planned to do more this afternoon if it was cool but sadly not it is still 30 oc at 5.39 pm so tomorrow morning we will get out there again.

Once we finished that I stain removed some clothing and put a load of washing on and hung it out to dry on the clothes line and will shortly bring it back in. We packaged up 2 lace curtains I sold on eBay and posted them at the post office and I refunded the buyer for excess postage they paid as I managed to get the two curtains in a smaller prepaid postage satchel than expected.

Just went online and DH paid our tithe and I paid both the electricity and DH's rego for the AWD. Pleased to say our power bill came in really low at about $123 less than we expected, even though our home is operated mostly by water pumps and rain water. We keep water in a water storage container on the counter and fill our drink bottles, kettle and hand washing water tubs from that rather than perpetually turning on the tap and having the pump running on and off all day. We also have our hot water system and pumps on an economy electricity tarriff which helps. We have worked out it costs around $40 per quarter extra to run water pump and grey water pumps than when we were on town water but this is better than we expected. I banked the extra we had put aside for the power into our emergency kitty.

About to redo the budget and lower our expenditure on the electricity bill and a few other utilities that have risen in price too to get a more accurate view of our budget. Also I am sorting out finer details via email of having a craft stall at the local school fete along with us selling items for the local RSL to raise funds for them.

had a wreck zbout 2 weeks ago just now getting straightened out also had strokes on top 0f it
@timmie You're back!
:huggs:
Having a wreck is scary business, I hope you are all healed up and no broken bones. You've had strokes? I guess that's scary too. I hope things are under control and you're feeling better. Wrecks I've had, strokes, no.
:gardening:

had a wreck zbout 2 weeks ago just now getting straightened out also had strokes on top 0f it

:( ..

All the best wishes and prayers!!!

Started off the day with DH doing a load of washing in the washing machine, hanging it on the line and bringing it back in. He then vacuumed the whole house and I mopped it all. I then deep cleaned both bathrooms and DH attacked the shower screen which was dirty when we moved in with a paint scraper to get off the body fats. It works a treat everyone after you wet it down with half methylated spirits half water as you go and the easiest way to clean. It came up sparkling clean after I rinsed it off and squeegeed it. He learnt this as a panel beater cleaner. We also changed all the hand, bath and floor mats for fresh ones in each bathroom.

Shortly we will fold up 3 loads of washing and put it away and strip the bed and make it with fresh sheets.

Tonight's dinner is a mince and homegrown vegetable stir fry.

My wife asked me to take her someplace for a walk (rare). She did say it had to be a flat area. So we drove about five or six miles to a spot I know where its all federal land. We walked for a over an hour (great for her). Beautiful day here with a high of 59*.
Why did she want you away from the house?

Latest posts

Back