What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Bacpacker You are just too efficient. You got all those crummy things it takes most folks a year to do all done in one day! Now you're done with that stuff right?
@Caribou Glad you're through well enough. Also, you sooo need to work the look, blacken a tooth, carry a big club-like walking stick...... Do you have an interesting hat you can wear? How are you at growling? (I know, I'm a little warped, but I figure life's gonna happen. Might as well have fun with it:)

Lady ,I try and he efficent, but good enough is enough!!!

Today I got 3 bunches of onions planted, 14 tomatoes, with 12 more to go. Then about a dozen peppers, row of cukes and a few of okra. Then 2 blueberry bushes and 4 elder berries. Hope I get done tonight.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of building a solar array mounting frame, slowly digging post holes for pouring concrete for 4"X4" pressure treated post sockets-Simpson Strong Ties. I'm using 90 pound sacks of Ready Mix concrete, can't believe how heavy they are, but after dealing with congestive heart failure last year, I realize just how much that took out of me. Digging the holes with a post hole digger is getting harder due to the soil drying out, what helps is to cut the sod out and then pour a little water on the exposed soil and a day later digging is a lot easier. I am looking forward to getting everything done to see how well the solar array charges up the storage batteries. That I can do things like this at my age makes me feel pretty good. I'll post pics when I start the framing.

Viking good on you for getting back after things after dealing with the health issues. Figuring out a easier way to do things is always positive. I'm dealing with that myself. Wish I had done that years ago. Keep us posted on the solar array if you don't mind. I'm wanting to try that myself at some point in the future.

I wasn't able to plant most of my peppers today. They were still too small. I did get all the maters in and 2 jalapeno's, plus the other stuff. Started raining before I got started on the blueberries, so I got wet doing them. Cooled me off actually, so that was a good thing. Plus all the stuff I did plant will really like the rain. We're suppose to have showers thru tomorrow night, then heavy rain thru Sunday. Hopefully I can get back to planting later next week. Still got melons, squash, cantaloupes, beans and such to get out yet.

@viking that is the way to do it and work out ways in which you can move heavy things without skull dragging them. We use a lot of trolleys such as furniture trolleys and 4 wheel carts to get things around our property. With the 10 - 14' ironbark posts we took out of the grapeyard vineyard we used a furniture trolley to get the posts into the shed by rolling them onto it and it worked a treat. As we say in our household work smart not hard due to DH's and my back injuries.

Sewing there is a lot to what you say. I've always tried to manhandle everything, and always could. But as I've aged and after hurting my back in particular, that just don't work well anymore. All you young whippersnappers out there, take care of yourself, figure out the easest way to do heavy task. You'll thank yourself years down the road.

Lady ,I try and he efficent, but good enough is enough!!!

Today I got 3 bunches of onions planted, 14 tomatoes, with 12 more to go. Then about a dozen peppers, row of cukes and a few of okra. Then 2 blueberry bushes and 4 elder berries. Hope I get done tonight.

BacP I just read your post from yesterday. :huggs: glad today was much better.

I'm in the process of building a solar array mounting frame, slowly digging post holes for pouring concrete for 4"X4" pressure treated post sockets-Simpson Strong Ties. I'm using 90 pound sacks of Ready Mix concrete, can't believe how heavy they are, but after dealing with congestive heart failure last year, I realize just how much that took out of me. Digging the holes with a post hole digger is getting harder due to the soil drying out, what helps is to cut the sod out and then pour a little water on the exposed soil and a day later digging is a lot easier. I am looking forward to getting everything done to see how well the solar array charges up the storage batteries. That I can do things like this at my age makes me feel pretty good. I'll post pics when I start the framing.

I still have all that solar stuff you and others here helped me with at the other site. Yall were so helpful in getting us started :thumbs:.

Woke up this morning to what appeared to be a white and ginger feather cushion emptied on the inside rumpus room door mat near the cat door and another pile outside the cat door too. It appears that our teensy Tabatha girl is beating up the large ginger male cat twice her size from next door that keeps coming over. Tabatha on the other hand does not have a scratch on her :).

You do realize his presence will stimulate Tabatha's cycle... In about 3 months you are going to "Gingers" coming out your ears...

Unless of course she's been "fixed" ;)

@Peanut Tabatha has been fixed in fact when we found her we sent her in to have her fixed and we found out she had already been done so effectively the poor cat has been cut open twice for the same thing in 2 years as the owner did not put a fixed tattoo on her ear for us to know either. Apparently her previous owner must have been an old vet who operated through her side and not the tummy and we couldn't find a scar so sent her to the vet.

@LadyLocust the two levels are similar except a lazer level is for longer distances for levels for a line such as fences etc, the spirit level is usually a piece of wood, metal or plastic with a liquid level in it with marks on it and when the bubble is in the middle you know that it is straight by putting it on top or beside what you are trying to have straight.

Here is a picture of a spirit level so you can see what they look like -

spirit level.jpg

Last edited:
Today we started off the morning with myself putting on two loads of washing and DH hanging the first load and I the second load on the clothes line. While the washing was running DH tilled up the side of one fence where we are planning to put some shrubs and some of the raised soil area of the vineyard as we plan to level that area now the grapevines are gone.

I deep cleaned the bathrooms and toilet for the week and put clean hand and bath towels in there and watered the canna and calla lilies and spider plants we planted in the gardens with grey water from the washing machine. We then went outside and put together 4 more of the raised garden beds we purchased to get ready to fill on the 25th of this month. Then we headed to the RSL club and had our weekly date and had a few soft drinks and DH played a game of pool with a friend.

DH washed the dishes and cleaned the benches and I wiped them and put them away. Later tonight we will make the bed with clean sheets and then the house will sparkle for another week.

Dinner tonight was the other half of our vegetable bake and sausages and cheese.

Husband in the shower, I'm working on my first cup of coffee. Then get the grandkids up and going. Off to the hospital with husband. Hopefully we'll be home soon, and not too many days. One of our daughters is being me at work, and staying with the grandkids. Youngest daughter will be meeting us at the hospital and waiting it out with me. She is usually my waiting buddy.

@Peanut Tabatha has been fixed in fact when we found her we sent her in to have her fixed and we found out she had already been done so effectively the poor cat has been cut open twice for the same thing in 2 years as the owner did not put a fixed tattoo on her ear for us to know either. Apparently her previous owner must have been an old vet who operated through her side and not the tummy and we couldn't find a scar so sent her to the vet.

Poor kitty. Glad she found a home with you Sewing.

Husband in the shower, I'm working on my first cup of coffee. Then get the grandkids up and going. Off to the hospital with husband. Hopefully we'll be home soon, and not too many days. One of our daughters is being me at work, and staying with the grandkids. Youngest daughter will be meeting us at the hospital and waiting it out with me. She is usually my waiting buddy.

Hoping fro a quick recovery Amish I pray fro all of you every night. Will say a special one for your hubby tonight.:huggs:

Husband's surgery went great! Putting him under was going to be a big problem with his lungs the way they are. The surgeon had an anesthesiologist that normally does labor and delivery come, give him a little verced to make him slightly woozy, and then did an epideral spinal block on him to bypass breathing issues. instead of the general they wanted to give him. So he stayed awake for it all, and we are now home! In pain, and with a urine bag, but hey, we're home!

Two days out from my eye surgery and the double vision is pretty much cleared up. I told them that I didn't want an amnesiac so all they gave me was pain meds. If someone says, "Don't shoot till you see the whites of his eyes," I'm safe. My eye is a solid and brilliant red. The tears are a mild pink and I'm strutting around showing off the best shiner I've ever had. Three months or so and I should be fine but there are certain improvements in my vision already. I had a major floater in my shooting eye and my vision was not reliable. Sometimes it was clear and other times all I could see was a grey mass. While they were in there they fixed a couple other issues that were minor. These are not things that they would have gone in to fix but while they were in there anyway they might as well take care of.

I'm basically whimpering and milking this for all I can, while I can. I could get a job in a zombie movie right now so I'm able to get away with quite a bit.

Prayers for you and hubby.
Hoping the good Lord grants you patience when dealing with grandchildren.
Been digging around in deeds, records at the county court house.
Doing research for a family down around Springfield about land up in my neck of the woods.
There is also a gentleman doing research in the boot of Missouri.
A lady up by the Iowa border, and another gentleman doing research for the same family down around St. Louis, Mo.
Don't think the family is going to be happy with what I found out so far.
But what they do with the information is up to them.
But most likely no body is going to be happy in my neck of the woods.
I particularly don't think one of the Veteran's organizations I belong to is going to be happy at all.
I will give you three guess who's not going to be happy with the results.
And it's not the VFW. And it's not DAV.
But as always somebody got greedy, now is time to pay the piper.
Just made phone call to the Governor's office for more information.
Seems I lasted longer than the other researchers did looking for information.
They made their calls last week, I lasted longer.
Hopefully they will let me look at old membership rolls, to see if I can still find a living member of that family still active in either Post.
But I seriously doubt it.
Hopefully the Governor's office will get back with me next week.
So I can finish up my report.
Went out to several cemetaries looking for their family members.
Found 5 of the 8 family members out at one of the oldest cementaries in the county.
Haven't found the last 3 members yet.
Alive or deceased.
Never did find bill of sale for any of the land in question.
hopefully the Governor's office can shed light on the situation.

Last edited:
Besides digging around in the county court house, Genelogy Library, Public library, the Ray County Museum records haven't been very productive today.
Have a bit of a headache brewing, might ought to eat something today.
House is vacuumed.
First batch of dishes are done.
Need to clean off the table hopefully today.(Maybe).
Still have to finish cleaning the bathroom, just have to steam mop the floor, hang clean towels up.
Sort laundry for wash tomorrow.
Think I will have semi early night tired tonight.
Barometric pressure is dropping so that might be part of the reason have headache.
Everybody have good day, afternoon, evening, night.
Stay safe where ever you are in this big old world.

Husband's surgery went great! Putting him under was going to be a big problem with his lungs the way they are. The surgeon had an anesthesiologist that normally does labor and delivery come, give him a little verced to make him slightly woozy, and then did an epideral spinal block on him to bypass breathing issues. instead of the general they wanted to give him. So he stayed awake for it all, and we are now home! In pain, and with a urine bag, but hey, we're home!

Prayers were answered. So glad to hear this news! Prayers continue for you both to get thru the recovery.

Another rainy day here, didn't get a lot done. I went out between showers and took the K&N air filter off my trucks carburetor. The last two times I cleaned it I just rinse the crud off. Monday I bought a K&N air filter cleaning kit. So... I got the filter properly cleaned, drying is a little slow since the humidity is so high. Tomorrow I'll apply the special oil to the filter and get it back on my truck. It supposed to rain tomorrow so I guess I'll try out my new vacuum cleaner I bought that's made for hardwood floors.

Back