What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hit the ground running in San Francisco, rented a van, and boogied over the bridge to Oakland. Found the job site, and wouldn't you know it, it's in a freaking ghetto. Great. Had to drive down a street with a half mile long homeless camp on the side of it, at 2am, to get to the site. I was sure some tweaker was going to stumble out in front of the van but I didn't really want to slow down much either. Looks like this will be a fun project...:rolleyes:

Day #2 back to work since my holiday vacation. I missed the routine, I did not miss the stupid people I have to deal with. But I will post about that in another thread.

Got a box from the Sig store, so later today I am going to be screwing around with my P365 and turning it into a mutant P365/P365XL. I also need to do some more clean up and organizational work in the man cave. My gun bench is at the point where I might be able to assemble a gun from all the parts and pieces just laying around. Many of which are unmarked. :eek:

Tonight the Mrs. and the youngest girl are going to a movie so I am sure that means I will be on Dad duty. Already have dinner cooking.

I'm pretending I'm working. Dead day. Nobody is at work. Anybody have any good suggestions on You Tube? We are going to be stuck here for a while.
Not sure about youtube, but Gutenberg.org has a whole library of online historical books.

@phideaux Jim you've been too quiet lately. Hope you are well and just napping or out enjoying life.

I'm OK,
Just been going thru some health issues, and not feeling very well.
Surgery on Nov 20th, went great for 3 weeks, then infection , still on DS Bactrim antibiotics,
I keep telling be my wife I'm fluzzy, just not exactly up to snuff.
Hope to get back 100% shortly.

Thanks for asking.

Jim

Hubby went back to work yesterday after being off since Christmas.
The hospital he works at gives you a free gift for benchmark years you work there. Hubby's was a 20 year gift. We could choose between mens and womens watches, jewelry,luggage,coleman lantern or stove,digital camera,radios,etc. We have all that stuff
We chose a toaster oven to keep as a backup if ours break before we can get to the store to buy another.
He also got a $2.50 per hour raise. That was a nice surprise
I'm getting some laundry done and cleaning
Also been reading some of Jerry D Young's stories that I never got around to reading even though I've had them down loaded for some time now

Cooked hamburger meat, cut up sweet potatoes, carrots and chicken breast--prep work done. This afternoon will make an XXL batch of dog food to slow cook overnight and pressure can tomorrow.

Anyone heard from MoBookworm yet?

I'm glad for you, and your DH, WVDragonlady!

I'm OK,
Just been going thru some health issues, and not feeling very well.
Surgery on Nov 20th, went great for 3 weeks, then infection , still on DS Bactrim antibiotics,
I keep telling be my wife I'm fluzzy, just not exactly up to snuff.
Hope to get back 100% shortly.

Thanks for asking.

Jim

Jim ' MAYBE' ask them if maybe changing antibiotics would make you feel better. :huggs:. Hope you get well soon. I've been sick for awhile too las 3 months but doing better last few weeks,still not there yet though. Be nice to see clearly again and not fight depression ,I'm not use to being depressed.:eyeballs:

Jim ' MAYBE' ask them if maybe changing antibiotics would make you feel better. :huggs:. Hope you get well soon. I've been sick for awhile too las 3 months but doing better last few weeks,still not there yet though. Be nice to see clearly again and not fight depression ,I'm not use to being depressed.:eyeballs:

Well, I only got 2 more days on the antibiotics.
Almost all antibiotics treat me bad.

I been staying home 90 % of the time,
Went to local restaurant yesterday for lunch, woke up this morning , didn't feel right, ....yep, I think I got the bug that's going around , feverish, runny nose, feel like a wet rag, just what I needed.

Gosh, I'll be glad when spring gets here.

Jim

"This too, shall pass"
Abe Lincoln

Last edited:
Jim @phideaux have you ever tried taking acidophilus (probiotic) when you're on antibiotics? It might help even things out a bit. And keep on taking it after the antibiotics is finished. Just wondering...just a suggestion...

No, never heard of it.
But,
I will look into it.
Because antibiotics always make me sickly.

Jim

Well, I only got 2 more days on the antibiotics.
Almost all antibiotics treat me bad.

I been staying home 90 % of the time,
Went to local restaurant yesterday for lunch, woke up this morning , didn't feel right, ....yep, I think I got the bug that's going around , feverish, runny nose, feel like a wet rag, just what I needed.

Gosh, I'll be glad when spring gets here.

Jim

"This too, shall pass"
Abe Lincoln
Jim its difinately time for a break for you. Hate to hear your having such a time of it. Thinking of you often with prayers and thoughts.

We will be moving to the farm, but husband is finding a way to get internet. He used his phone this time as a hot spot, and used his computer, even tho he told me not to bring the laptop, cuz we wouldn't have internet. Ha. So...waking up with my coffee, I read Book one of Unser Leit and half of book 2. (history of the Amish). And I did a lot of Bible Verse word searches. Finished some embroidered tea towels for my favorite cousin. Had some great conversations with my cousin Harry about Amish during the Revolutionary War, since he pretty much has Unser Leit memorized, along with a lot of other history books. We did way too much visiting, eating, and enjoying ourselves. Figured out where a tractor road is going to get to the back 15 acres of our property (alfalfa is there now), since an easement isn't available any longer. Walked the existing buildings to start planning out what animals should go where, and what needs immediate repair. The kids did a few large puzzles in the evenings (no tv), and had a great time with their cousins. Home to a very, very messy house, just like we left it since we left early the morning after Christmas. Except maybe a little more messy since our son was here taking care of animals and left stuff all over. I know what I'll be doing the next few days.

Anybody have any good suggestions on You Tube? ....

I’d suggest “Naked and Afraid” 21 days of real TEOTWAWKI for two skilled confident persons. The muscle men usually quit in a few days. Others without their customary preps fail. The ones that are weak physically, lack skills but are mentally tuff survive.

I’d suggest “Naked and Afraid” 21 days of real TEOTWAWKI for two skilled confident persons. The muscle men usually quit in a few days. Others without their customary preps fail. The ones that are weak physically, lack skills but are mentally tuff survive.

I like that show. The episode I always remember is the one where the feminist complained about her male partner the whole time, then gave up right away and rationalized it over and over by saying she has nothing to prove! The male was this chubby guy who made it the entire 21 days by sitting and eating soft bamboo. He literally did nothing but lay around and survived on body fat and bamboo shoots. There are a couple lessons in there.

Yesterday I deep cleaned the bathroom and toilet and DH vacuumed the whole home and we washed up the dishes. In the afternoon we headed to the RSL club and had a few soft drinks and some wonderful conversations with a few friends down there. Got home and had a serve yourself dinner and I had smoked oysters with smoky bacon dip on crackers and we had a little ice cream for dessert. DH watered all the gardens and fruit trees and topped up the wallaby and kangaroo water.

This morning DH stain removed some clothing and got on a load of washing and hung it on the clothes line to dry. We decided to finish off cleaning the back patio and moved some more tables and used the yard broom to brush the dust/spider webs off the siding and swept the concrete there. DH sifted the winter firewood ash and put it around all the fruit trees in the paddock and I set off the grey water to water one mulberry tree. All of the gardening equipment that built up out there is now in the garden shed along with the fertiliser. It looks much cleaner and far less dusty out on the patio now and it is something we can do in this stinking hot weather under shade before the sun reaches into the patio.

DH got a loaf of bread on in the bread making machine.

Latest posts

Back