What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever since my heart episode a few weeks ago, my dear wife has really turned up the BOSS action.

Dang , 1 hour working at anything , she makes me stop.

I dunno, I guess she may have the best idea there.

I still get a lot done.

Like @Bacpacker , we gotta rest , catch our breath, real often....I have accepted that, and just do what I can. It gets done.

I quit today about 6:30 pm, been relaxing.

Look forward to tomorrow.

Jim

Still just hanging out in Colorado, being an essential infrastructure employee. We should finish this project on Sunday, load the equipment on the train on Monday, and show up in Cheyenne, Wyoming on Tuesday. We still have to finish that other project up there, that we got snowed out of a few weeks ago. It should only be about 3-4 days of work though. Then it's on to Wisconsin for a while. That is, if I can survive the 'Rona virus.

Who is coming up, Terri? You need more chickens!!

The wife and son of one of hubbies FLETC classmates. They are old friends. He's stationed on El Paso right now. We do need more chickens but they would have to come by Fed Ex. All the new comers are going into a 3 week quarantine. Our oldest will be allowed out next Thursday.

I worked on an outside home for the peeps today… It’s a 400gallon fiberglass laundry cart on casters. It came from the state asylum that closed down years ago.

1/3 will have a plywood top with a 4-inch cooling fan and a heat lamp. In case a storm blows rain up on the porch they have shelter. 2/3rds will be hardware cloth for sun and wind and to keep cats and owls out.

They have yet another temporary home after this one before I can finally turn them in with the rest of the chickens and be done with raising peeps.

Laundry peep cart sm.JPG

Depends on when the rains comes in. Work outside, maybe cut the grass in March, a first. Charged the mower battery, so I am ready and it really doesn't take long :)

Looking at new tackle boxes, the old one seems small somehow.

If she goes to the store, she should wear more than a mask and gloves - even a simple dress or overcoat might do 😂

@Grimm Good to 'see' you! Your girls will be ahead of the game with no break in their education.

@MoBookworm1957 Strawberry doesn't have a bladder infection does she? Or how old is she? Sometimes as they age, they become less continent.

@WVDragonlady That's a lot of rock!!!

@Peanut I know what CRS is but don't know what CFS is. Try to get some rest.

Found out today, we are considered an "essential" business so still working - thankfully. One of our employees decided to stay home and wait it out. We already told them yesterday if they felt they needed to, they still had a job to come back to. Many essential businesses are curbside assistance only meaning you can call something in and they fill the order so to speak and bring it out to you. Will see what happens tomorrow when the shutdown goes into effect.
I believe CFS= Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I have it and one of the problems is that resting doesn't seem to make it go away. Exercising or being active makes it worse. Many of us find that if we exert ourselves one day, we're even more exhausted the next several days. It's incredibly frustrating.

@Patchouli critters always seem to like me... even wild ones.

View attachment 38132View attachment 38133
They are so adorable! I had some chickens what would sit on my lap. Some scientists did studies where they found that chickens like the sensation of being petted. They fitted chickens with devices that would simulate the sensation of petting if they stayed in a certain area & would turn off if they went to the other. The chickens preferred to stay where it felt like they were being petted. I believe they are common as pets in China & people hold them and pet them.

I had a bad reaction to some food I hadn't eaten in awhile. Not food poisoning but my digestive system can't handle onions & cajun spices so I had montezuma's revenge.

My brother woke me up around 2am the night before wanting to know if I would take him to the pharmacy in the morning bc his eyes were too crudded up from allergies to see. I drove him there & they checked his temperature right after he walked through the door. No fever. They saw his eyes & recommended some eye drops and allergy meds that are more effective & he got his prescriptions. Since it's on Native American land they don't have sales tax & medicine is much cheaper. I get charged sales tax on some of my prescriptions & use a GoodRX discount to not pay as much since I don't have insurance.

I'm feeling a bit better this morning but stomach still doesn't like me & my body aches. We're almost out of bottled water & I need to figure out where/how to get some before we're out & Mom has a total meltdown.

Depends on when the rains comes in. Work outside, maybe cut the grass in March, a first. Charged the mower battery, so I am ready and it really doesn't take long :)

Looking at new tackle boxes, the old one seems small somehow.
Good to see you’ve cheered up. I didn’t even have to tell a bad joke 😁. I just like to see folks happy is all. 🌷

@dademoss you keep changing your appearance, quite fun. I think most of us like to stay anonymous.
Watching grandchildren in a bit. Rained again last night. I think I'll work on pots and seeds and soil today. Sun is peeking out.
I mowed the back patch last night.
@phideaux me thinks the rototiller can be run by your sons or others, but not you. That way you have energy to do the gardening and stroll the back 40.

K was able to get eggs and toilet paper at the store last night. That is the nice part about him being home from work. It seems the elderly parent of a co-worker is sick and tested positive for Covid-19. The co-worker got tested but is waiting for results. So everyone that works in that office was sent home so the office could be sanitized and the test results come in. So K is home until Monday at the earliest.

On that note I wanted to share a homeschool lesson I found about Covid-19

https://89e509cf-5871-4291-8ae3-d6c...d/604e02_85b51e6fcff14442907db0653e670298.pdf

@dademoss you keep changing your appearance, quite fun. I think most of us like to stay anonymous.

Once you've posted your call sign, there isn't much point in trying to stay anonymousdrink buddy

Besides, I've been on some lists for years :p

Last edited:
I stepped outside for 2 minutes to unload some stuff from the truck & the pollen is already getting me. I started sneezing & my nose is dripping. About to take some allergy meds. The Samsclub down in Lake Charles claims it has some water in stock so I'm going to head down there in a bit to see if that is true. They wouldn't let me order for pickup as they have suspended all pickup times & when I called the store they only let you get an automated messaging system and there was no way to speak to a real person.
Also, it was hot outside & I was sweating even though I didn't exert myself. Either that or the humidity was just clinging to me.

Last edited:
Downpour last night and early this morning. Took a hoe to the drainage ditches and culverts to clean out any debris and keep the runoff flowing. Calling for rain this evening.

Took the broom handle off of one of the wife's brooms (shhh). Screwed the broom on my 30 foot extension handle. Reached up on the roof's second floor valley and finally got the rest of last falls leaves off the roof. Put the wife's broom back together.

Program two handheld radios for #2 son. Boxed them and took them to the Post Office to send them to him.

Unmounted the base radio to bring it into my den. Temporarily wired it to a power supply. Ran a cable from the computer to the radio and updated its programing. Remounted the radio and test, OK!

Collect eggs. The 6 hens don't have heat or supplement lightning during the winter. Down to two eggs a day. With the warmer weather, additional natural sunlight or the fact they are 2 years old and they knew they were getting close to the end of their life, 4 eggs today!

Thinking about upgrading the Mule's CB SSB with a 2-meter radio. Internet search for a replacement antenna is I decided to do so. Should get me better simplex range than the CB.

Practiced fishing for a few minutes again today.
Only fished Bout 6 minutes , caught 3 nice bluegill. Released them.
I'm just practicing.

It got black out quickly, so I unlocked the storm shelter, and sure nuff, we have got some serious tornado warnings for us.

Got a few minutes before it get bad.
So I'm thinking about taking safe shelter.

Watching local weather guys.

I hear Jonesboro , AR got demolished a few minutes ago.

Jim

Strawberry and I have been outside most of the day.
No rain as of yet.
Am under wind advisory until midnight I think.
Working on cross stitch block number 5 of 6 blocks.
Then will sash it, batten it, back it, bind it, label it, wrap it, and put it in Christmas gifts box.
Had grand daughter for few hours today.
She helped Granny get Butternut squash ready for the oven.
Still need to clean kitchen in a bit.

The kitchen is clean, the guns are cleaned and oiled, and my bench is cleared.
I must be going to start a new project...

I got some laundry finished... cleaned up the kitchen. Worked on and finished up a new outside home for the peeps.

I noticed my large dykes were missing last fall, after a month of searching I gave up and bought a new pair. Then I found my old ones... Now both the new and old ones are missing... This is one tool where quality and a little extra cash pays off in the long run. I spend the money and buy quality on wire cutters.

I need to cut a bunch of steel wire ties tomorrow to hang my plant shade across part of the porch. I guess I'll be doing it the hard way...

Now its time for some tv or a movie... haven't decide yet.

Found out one of our sons is now working from home and his wife is now working only every other week but both are still getting full pay. good for them.
You’ve been changing your pix too and I didn’t even harass you 😁
Got all the chores done, and now I've got the lazies. Thinking about making some peanut butter cookies.
For meee, awe thank you. You’re so sweet 😊
@phideaux Stay safe!
I stitched a hood part of today. First day home in about 6 weeks. Too long for this homebody. Also planted my apple tree. Had to clear about a 5’ patch of grass first.

Latest posts

Back