What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do a few internet searches. My son has an app on his phone that lets him listen to the city cops for free. They may have something like that in your area too.

I have one of the apps. It’s been pretty handy over the years. Nice to know if i should be concerned when things happen around us. I use it mostly when I’m alone here. However when the rioting got worse the second night they went to a different channel it sounded like the dispatcher said. All got quiet. I don’t blame them at all. Probably hoodlums listening and using it against the Leo’s or something. Did make it harder for me as I couldn’t tell if the issues were close to me anymore. Then the shootings here went down I couldn‘t hear if it happened anywhere else around us or if they caught them. Uneasy feeling not knowing.
I will add that the app sometimes is stressful for me. I hear some of the calls the Leo’s go on and I hold my breath praying they stay ok. I can’t imagine how ANY LEO would continue on in this madness with a huge target on them let alone sounds so calm. God bless them

Well it turned into Antarctica yesterday figuratively speaking and it was extremely cold and either did or were close to having a frost here. The wind was cold and icy as well so we had our usual hot chocolates to warm us up . Thank goodness for a nice and cosy warm fire going to warm us up too.

After a bit of a break DH cleaned the benches and washed the dishes and I dried the dishes and put them away.

After a bit of a break we headed down to the RSL club and did our usual volunteer cleaning of the club with washing all high touch areas down with soapy water followed by disinfection solution. We also emptied all the bins and put the rubbish in the skip.

Back home where I did a bit of investigating to find ourselves another chainsaw and found some at a reasonable price but not the 82 cc we were after as they were sold out. I did find 2 x 72 cc ones though so bought them and found replacement chainsaw chains for all of our 58cc, 82cc and now the 2 72 cc chainsaws at really cheap prices. Our 58cc chainsaw is not as powerful as we need but it does cut very small limbs so I went for a more powerful one this time.

Yes chainsaws are now in short supply especially the larger sizes in the brand we were after. Always good to run a couple of chainsaws as one is cooling you can use another one.

We then sharpened the chainsaw chains ready for tomorrow using our new chainsaw sharpener and boy does that make life so much easier to sharpen chains :). I learned how to use it too.

I then took the clean laundry in from the clothesline, watered the vegetable gardens with the drip irrigation system and hand watered the potted fruit trees with saved rainwater.

Yesterdays dinner was chicken drumsticks and chips cooked in the small convection oven.

This morning we woke to another cold morning of 4 oc and feels like 2 and the slow combustion fireplace is going to keep us warm.

Firewood cutting planned here today which will set us up with more firewood for next and coming winters :) .

Mmmm! Cookies!

Church this morning and then got the pitcher, cups and candle holder put up in the built in china cabinet. Involves a ladder! Started a spaghetti squash baking to make "tater" tots out of. About ready to dust house and clean bathrooms. No Church tonight.
I found a tot recipe using spaghetti squash on the internet after reading your post. Even my squash hating hunny liked them. . . :p. So I now have 1 recipe for spaghetti squash and 2 for butternut squash my hunny will eat.

Yes chainsaws are now in short supply especially the larger sizes in the brand we were after. Always good to run a couple of chainsaws as one is cooling you can use another one.

Sewing... I stopped at the small engine repair shop in my little town yesterday. I didn't see any new saws on the display shelf. Even more telling... One end of the public area is where they sit saws awaiting repairs or that have been repaired. There were at least 30 saws there... probably a few more. It took up half the public area of the shop.

I was in a hurry, didn't think about it at the time but now that you mention it... part of the influx was the easing restrictions because of covid. 2 weeks ago I saw trucks loaded with logs on the highway for the fist time since Feb. Now that loggers are making money again they have cash for equipment repairs. Still, lots of lawn mowers etc being repaired.

I didn't do much today, rain off and on since mid morning... a little house keeping.

I am feeling happy tonight. My long tenured congressman lost his primary and my district has an opportunity to get some fresh new blood in Washington DC. The general election will probably be a nail biter but I support the new candidate 100% so far. He is a constitutional conservative and a strong 2A supporter. Adios, Steve King. Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya...

Very helpful! I’m not tech savvy so I guess that’s the end of that thought 😂

I'm not either, but you really should have it. I've been having to do, learn, look up online, etc., all kinds of stuff in the past year. It was stuff I was never in charge of before. C'mon Double R. You can do it.

@Peanut I see that you are suffering the same problem no new chainsaws, mowers etc. A friend of mine her husband works in a mower shop that sells mowers and chainsaws and they can't get any chainsaws to stock their store with and only 2 out of 20 mowers they usually stock. Gosh knows what they are going to sell but fortunately they do repairs which may pick up what they are loosing by not being able to get new stock.

I am feeling happy tonight. My long tenured congressman lost his primary and my district has an opportunity to get some fresh new blood in Washington DC. The general election will probably be a nail biter but I support the new candidate 100% so far. He is a constitutional conservative and a strong 2A supporter. Adios, Steve King. Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya...

I saw that. Good for you. Now just need to make sure he gets elected in November.

I watered the garden at 6:30 this morning.( now watch it rain lol)
Had breakfast
Got a shower
Now I plan to make cookies
Have laundry to fold and put away
Then I just plan on reading and watching some videos until its time to make supper

Strawberry and I have started a new routine this morning.
First time or two she didn't like it.
I just stopped dead in my tracks, wouldn't look at her.
Wouldn't speak to her.
Finally she got the point we weren't moving till she behaved.
So far this morning we have walked about 3228 steps so far.
We are walking up small inclines, going down small declines, wallking on the side of the road, obeying traffic rules.
We will again about 330 pm.
Then the last time for the evening will be about 5 ish.
Vet., put her on diet.
She's chubby, lack of exercise, so we walk on my terms.
Older neighbor man up the street says it takes about 15 minutes to walk our block.
He says I'm moving a "Military brisk walk", I just laughed with him.
Told him I had served my country in the Army.
Walking this route not only builds up her leg muscles, it will build up mine too.
Teenage dog walker got fired Wednesday.
4 hours late showing up, 10 minute walk.
I'm done.

Better for your health and pocketbook, Mo. In that regard, he did you a favor. Too bad for him, it was easy money.
It was easy money for him.
Strawberry and I were supposed to walk at 3:30 she took care of her business at that time.
Then she promptly laid on ground with her back to me.
Sighed great big went to sleep.
Had her a nice nap on the sidewalk in the back yard.
Me, I just walked up and down the sidewalk getting my steps in.
We will walk again in a bit.
When it cools off a bit.

Went to big hospital in Paducah today for follow-up with cardiologist that helped me 2 weeks ago in the hospital.
VA has authorized all my cardio care to be handled by the outside cardio group.
VA will supply any meds prescribed.
First thing they said was I'm lucky to still be above ground.
With tachycardia at 180 bpm and a pulmonary embolism.

So they will be working on my treatment using ENTRESTO, new med for serious heart failure patients. They said they have had great results.

So I go back every week for next 3 weeks.
Glad it's only 35 miles .
They also have me on ELIQUIST for the clots.

I am a survivor.:dancing:

:snowwindow: less than 7 months.

Jim

Went to big hospital in Paducah today for follow-up with cardiologist that helped me 2 weeks ago in the hospital.
VA has authorized all my cardio care to be handled by the outside cardio group.
VA will supply any meds prescribed.
First thing they said was I'm lucky to still be above ground.
With tachycardia at 180 bpm and a pulmonary embolism.

So they will be working on my treatment using ENTRESTO, new med for serious heart failure patients. They said they have had great results.

So I go back every week for next 3 weeks.
Glad it's only 35 miles .
They also have me on ELIQUIST for the clots.

I am a survivor.:dancing:

:snowwindow: less than 7 months.

Jim

Praying all the new meds work great for you. I've got a buddy on Eliquist, It works good for him.

Geez Jim, is there anything you won't try at least once? Pancreatitis, PE, HF, sawing off a couple of digits, knees, ..... What's next? You are about the most durable SOB I've ever known. It's starting to sound a bit repetitious now, but take care of yourself! Your friends are depending it. Rooting and praying for my friend in KY.

Geez Jim, is there anything you won't try at least once? Pancreatitis, PE, HF, sawing off a couple of digits, knees, ..... What's next? You are about the most durable SOB I've ever known. It's starting to sound a bit repetitious now, but take care of yourself! Your friends are depending it. Rooting and praying for my friend in KY.
:) :dunno::p you forgot , I gave up a couple feet of my colon, and had my back cut and fixed 3 times.

Guess I'm just a lucky guy.

;);)
Jim

I think that if I went through something like what Jim did, every time I wake up and see a new day would feel like Christmas morning...

That's exactly what each day is.

Told my wife I might die in the garden or on a tractor, but never sitting and drooling in my recliner.:cool:

Jim

JIIIIIIMMMMMMM! Hey there - and sure glad you're a survivor! If they don't give you those years, don't accept their answer. Had a relative who they gave 6-8 months. She lived about 11 more years and only the last year was not in good health.
Big prayers God's not ready for you yet :thumbs:

@phideaux Just a little bribery 😁
blessings-christmas-card_CD7159_Z.jpg

JIIIIIIMMMMMMM! Hey there - and sure glad you're a survivor! If they don't give you those years, don't accept their answer. Had a relative who they gave 6-8 months. She lived about 11 more years and only the last year was not in good health.
Big prayers God's not ready for you yet :thumbs:

Wife and I talked the other day about at least a dozen times in last 10 years , I've looked death directly in the face at least 12 times, and I have refused him.

I never take it too serious anymore.

Just love each day as I move forward.

Jim

Walked this morning and went with DH to pulmonologist appt. Stopped at thrift store for wicker basket with handle for harvest days, then Tractor Supply for metal garden stakes.

Came home and staked tomatoes that needed it, then pc'd 6 quarts of squash medley (spicy), 2 pints of yellow squash and 13 pints of sliced carrots. Most of it came from my neighbors who use the food pantry but can't use all of the produce they give--however, they know I will! Love my neighbors!

My garden is coming in now! Picked jalapenos, okra, yellow squash and zucchini, cucumbers and my first tomato that is turning. Honestly, I didn't know I had any cukes until I found some that looked like watermelons, then started looking harder. Sweet peas now have pods, not just blossoms and the actual watermelons have blossoms. Good year so far, wonder what we will get from the tropical storm?!

Watched the birds...had cardinal, jays, doves, sparrows, and two red headed woodpeckers …..LOL....off in the distance, a little wren kept singing her evening offering...the soft cooing of the doves on the wires above us is soothing...I miss raising my doves, but I had ring necks and these ones are white wings out of Mexico..the jays were quite large tonight, they wanted water at the bird bath...a few martins flew across the sky plus a few Kites....the mosquitoes kept draining me of my blood so we gave up and came inside...mosquito spray let me down...

Tried to fix the sprinkler - the new head I bought didn't work. Tried to mow the grass - it rained. Tried to replace the broken toilet seat - found that we had purchased the wrong size replacement. Tried to fix the bathroom sink that was slow to drain - finally, something successful! Made a pretty good dinner of open faced sourdough, ham, tomato, mozzarella grilled sandwiches. Sat out on my back deck for the last hour jabbering away on my amateur radio clubs weekly net. Next up - a bowl of ice cream!

Latest posts

Back