What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to set a kindness trap up in the yard somewhere.
Otherwise, Laundry, tech stuff, cook something delicious for dinner. Maybe go see the grandkids. They are always so happy to see me.
Mobookworm, I hope your legs feel better soon.
WVdragonlady, you're making me miss the Virginias. . .
Meerkat, what's going on with the storm? Are you being effected?

Patch so far just drizzling rain. But we could use a good flood to fill our springs back up. Leaders and Bottling company's are stealing millions of gallons from springs every day.

My neighbors son started a paint and pressure wash business. So I hired him to do some painting for us. Vot our front door, the frame on our front porch, and a couple of Adirondack type gliders chairs. Hes almost done painting, primed it yesterday. Looks good.
I've been working in the garden all morning. Hoed my tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers. Then put up the cattle panels Nd trained the maters and cukes starting up them. Tilled the taters and bean. The okra, corn and squash I planted last Saturday are already up. It's gotten hot now, but I'm done for the day.

Gonna give that a try Jim. I get spasms in my lower back. Stops me in my tracks.

All I can tell ya is it worked for me.

I get Charlie horse cramps in my calves, and hamstring if I overwork them .

I started having them a few weeks ago after receiving this Theraworx , put it on per instructions, gone in sixty seconds .

I was amazed.

Jim

All I can tell ya is it worked for me.

I get Charlie horse cramps in my calves, and hamstring if I overwork them .

I started having them a few weeks ago after receiving this Theraworx , put it on per instructions, gone in sixty seconds .

I was amazed.

Jim

I get cramps in my calves after aggressive dialysis (anything more than 3.5 kg fluid pull).
We've taken to include the foam Theraworks in my clinic bag as well and it works amazingly well.

I'll be putting a GEforce GTX 1050 4GB Graphics Card section in my Desktop later this afternoon. If I have to watch bad news, I might as well do it faster.

Today I got a proprietary RT-Systems ham radio programming cable to work with CHIRP software on Linux. So now I can bulk-program the Yaesu FT-60R using free open source software. The RT-Systems stuff is good, BUT they lock you into their proprietary cable, proprietary software, and registration/activation of said software to one computer. Windows none-the-less. And if you buy a second (different) radio, you have to buy a whole new different set of cable/software too. They make good stuff, but want to rip you off terribly.

Yes, the simpler way might have been to buy a generic programming cable and not try to use the RT-System proprietary one. But a friend happened to have one of those RT cables (which are quite good hardware quality BTW), so I borrowed it and made myself determined to make it work, despite RT-Systems best efforts to force a different and less friendly outcome.

Ha! Now I just have to decide WHAT I want to program into all those 1000 memory channels the FT-60R has. So far, I've only come up with about 50 channels worth (and even that was a stretch!)

I got the zero turn home and after a couple of frustrating hours with the help of my oldest and our neighbor we finally got it pushed off the truck. There was no way I was going to drive it down the ramps since I've never even sat on 1. I got on it,started it up and as soon as I started to pull the levers in to disengage the emergency break it killed it. I tried a few more times and the same thing happened. My neighbor came back over,he mow yards for a living,looked it over and thinks the seat switch is out. I called True Value which is our local dealer and after some tests,came up with the same thing. So now it's a matter of what the warranty guy thinks it is,whenever he calls me back. We pushed it in the garage and there is sits in the meantime :mad:.

Recovered today. Yesterday we prepped the ground for gravel fabric. Not a fan of constantly maintaining a gravel drive so I made some diversion ditches and then we'll pay the fabric down whenever we can get a load. Too darn tired to remember to take after photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20200606_081736788.jpg
    IMG_20200606_081736788.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 72
Took a day off from walking and exercise today! Put out a little epsom salts by the cherry tomatoes before the tropical storm hit. Processed apples and put in roaster for apple butter, went to Church--first time since the craziness started.

Came home and set up my vitamin supplements for the month and set up DH's meds. Water bathed the apple butter, wrote one draft for eBay and planned what I am canning tomorrow. Relaxing now!

I will see if I can find that tidbit of info. There is conflicting info out there. Everything I find NOW indicates it's fine and advisable, but knowing myself, I will stick with not taking them together. If you are taking a lot of supplements it really is better to not take everything at once. JMO.

Here's one thing
"You should not take potassium citrate tablets if you have problems with your esophagus, stomach, or intestines that make it difficult for you to swallow or digest pills. ... Sucking on a potassium tablet can irritate your mouth or throat. Avoid lying down for at least 30 minutes after you take this medication."
Most older people (cough, cough) are deficient in potassium and magnesium, as well as calcium.

Got up early and mowed the place and worked in the garden. It's all of a sudden too damn hot! We finished up the mechanical issue with the boys car that his grandfather gave him, it had been sitting in my shop for a year. Jake spent the day cleaning it up, hes going to try and trade it for a truck we can fix up for him.

bmer1.jpg

bmer2.jpg

We got a new washer delivered today. Old one quit last week. Wife has to work tomorrow so she gave me a tutorial on using it and here I am doing laundry...lol.

Well Iknow, look on the bright side at least your not stomping them clean in the bath tub or over a flat rock in the moccasin filled creek.:). I've done both.
Once I was 'cleaning a wall rug of 'The Last Supper'singing 'stomp the bread bu don't stomp the wine' when two large snakes came up and looked me in the face,mama had already promised me a beating for blasphemy till she saw the snakes,Of ourse I knew not to move. She shot one and the other one ran for her. She was a great shot.

Got up early and mowed the place and worked in the garden. It's all of a sudden too damn hot! We finished up the mechanical issue with the boys car that his grandfather gave him, it had been sitting in my shop for a year. Jake spent the day cleaning it up, hes going to try and trade it for a truck we can fix up for him.

View attachment 43967

View attachment 43968
Nice car, gotta say though I trust young men in trucks. Never quite sure of boys in cars.

It was very humid and hot yesterday. Mom wanted me to go into Samsclub to get more water. I declined bc it was way too hot & plus I hadn't heard from my friend that he tested negative for covid. I found out later that day.
Rained today & the weather is giving me a sinus headache.
Been talking with my friend online about what needs to be done to fix up his house more to keep wasps & mosquitoes out. They seem to be coming in from a gap in the wall/ceiling. I noticed the bathroom was full of steam when the washing machine was running so I linked him a through wall bathroom vent that can vent to the outside. We both had the same idea about where to put it and discussed how he needs a custom sized back door as a fire escape in case of emergency. He had closed off the back door on his old house & his stupid ex got trapped when the house was burning. I'm trying to figure out the best way to build an exterior door that will seal properly. We're also thinking of building a bathroom vanity bc the ones for sale are mdf/particle board but cost over $400.

Squirrelhunter, that sounds very frustrating. Warranty people usually try to claim it's something else. Hope there's a way to get it running. My dad actually disabled the deadman switch on his riding mower because it would shut off every time he would stop to pick up a branch. After a few years it broke down (think they said it was the carburetor) & he took it to a local repair guy named Fatula. Kept checking back every week & after 2 months he said it was fixed. Paid the guy, went to start it to load it on to the trailer & it wouldn't turn on. Went back in & guy claimed he'd never worked on it, didn't know what we were talking about, and refused to refund the $. Lucky for him he was in a wheelchair bc I probably would have throat-punched him otherwise. Can't remember if he ever gave the $ back bc I was so mad I went outside to kick something. Never went back to that jerk again.

Mo, I wish I had your stamina for walking. I used to walk all the time but it has gotten hotter over the years & I can't handle the heat anymore & then it rains. Maybe I should try walking in place inside the house. LOL. I had to squeeze between the fridge and some cabinets today to pick up something the cats knocked down & found it was an even tighter squeeze than last time about a week ago. That doesn't bode well. I think the Wii Fit we used to have would scream at me to get off of it the way it did at my brother. It literally said "Oww!" in a very high pitch & then told him he exceeded the weight limit and to please step off. That was when he was close to 400lbs.

Brother made red beans in the pressure cooker but accidentally opened the wrong side of the garlic salt shaker so dumped too much in. Mom griped about the rice he got so didn't want any & then complained it was too salty. She said she didn't want Jasmine rice with it so I got some long grain rice (which is what she says she likes). Brother was helping me pour it into a container so we wouldn't end up with a ripped bag and rice everywhere, edge of the bag bent too soon & rice started spilling. I caught it and redirected, but we still have quite a bit of rice around. Dustbuster is a wonderful tool. LOL.

Discovered the local Dollar Tree shut down & has already cleaned out everything. I just went in there the other day. It was the only business left in the building & the owners jacked up the rent price more than the business could afford. If the owners are who I think they are, it's standard procedure to jack up rent to force businesses out & then they get insurance $ for having empty stores. Wish I had the $ to buy the building from them & let my best friend use the place to run a phone/computer repair shop.

Good morning! Did 40 minute video this morning because of rain from tropical storm. Already took lots of eBay photos for DH. Next feed dogs and then start prepping and stewing down more squash, onions, tomatoes and jalapenos to PC. Also PCing potatoes for steak fries today. Everything is either gifted to me or from garden.

Need to finish a craft project with silk flowers and call in meds for DH. Also have to go to Post Office as we had a package delivered that is not us. Had two different addresses in this town and neither is ours. Just don't know.

Good morning! Did 40 minute video this morning because of rain from tropical storm. Already took lots of eBay photos for DH. Next feed dogs and then start prepping and stewing down more squash, onions, tomatoes and jalapenos to PC. Also PCing potatoes for steak fries today. Everything is either gifted to me or from garden.

Need to finish a craft project with silk flowers and call in meds for DH. Also have to go to Post Office as we had a package delivered that is not us. Had two different addresses in this town and neither is ours. Just don't know.

Good morning to you too Snap.:thumbs:

It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood.
The sun is shining, humidity is moderate so far.
Strawberry and I walked this morning twice around the block.
She then walked with her new walking buddy for an hour.
I rearranged some furniture while she was gone.
Went to laundry mat to do laundry.
Went to Dollar General because it was cross the road from laundry mat.
Got home unloaded car,got part of the clothes hung up.
Took Strawberry outside for a while.
Sitting on my butt resting, drinking iced tea no sugar.
we're done walking until this evening when it cools off.
Made Strawberry's annual check up appointment with Vet for the 24th.
Then will bring her home, go get city license for her.
All in all good day so far.
Oh, yeah! Police department has already been here twice this morning.

Well Iknow, look on the bright side at least your not stomping them clean in the bath tub or over a flat rock in the moccasin filled creek.:). I've done both.
Once I was 'cleaning a wall rug of 'The Last Supper'singing 'stomp the bread bu don't stomp the wine' when two large snakes came up and looked me in the face,mama had already promised me a beating for blasphemy till she saw the snakes,Of ourse I knew not to move. She shot one and the other one ran for her. She was a great shot.

@iknownothing, I am just kidding with you in case it came acorss wrong .We all are so uptight may have to be more clear.:peace:

@hashbrown Is it my eyes, or is Jake getting taller?
@Patchouli You're so kind.
We went to niece's graduation party this weekend (in neighboring state.) It was so good to see them. I surprised myself and had a quick emotional moment when I was picking out which Sr. pix I wanted. She is the youngest of all the kids so kinda a surreal moment. Guess it means we're old. Stayed up visiting until midnight since just down there one day and came back the next.
Today has been a true to form Monday so far. Big prayers for a good week. We could sure use a little smoother sailing.

Went out riding the farm with the mutt this morning.
H u m i d !!

Finally got them peas and beans to come up after 3 plantings.

Watermelon and canteloupe are going gang Buster's .

You can see the blackberry arbor to left of garden.
Oh yeah they were growing great.
No berries this year , after I mowed en down last fall . Next year.
IMG_20200608_110307796.jpg
IMG_20200608_110355191.jpg

Blackberries.
IMG_20200608_110222216_HDR.jpg

Jim

Gonna finish up another 8 day run in Wisconsin tomorrow. Then I'll have 6 days off. I'll be headed over near Tomah, Wisconsin when I come back for a short project there before going up near Altoona, which isn't too far from Minneapolis/St. Paul. They still have us starting work at 5am every day and I'm tired, y'all...

Latest posts

Back