What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked more on planting seeds in large pots to put in the greenhouse. Lettuce, spinach, radish, chard. Spent some time in one room of the milkhouse. Cleaned out the nasty closet that the turkey vulture started its life in. Then washed walls and floors. It's now ready to paint, so I need to go buy some. Levi the neighbor boy was helping me with this project this afternoon. Then it seemed like too much work, so he said his mom might be calling him, and he left. Had to laugh, his mom never calls him, and he never cares. This room will house generators and our water barrel storage. Need to make a fruit plate to bring to cousin's house for dinner. She is making meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, and coleslaw.

Worked more on planting seeds in large pots to put in the greenhouse. Lettuce, spinach, radish, chard. Spent some time in one room of the milkhouse. Cleaned out the nasty closet that the turkey vulture started its life in. Then washed walls and floors. It's now ready to paint, so I need to go buy some. Levi the neighbor boy was helping me with this project this afternoon. Then it seemed like too much work, so he said his mom might be calling him, and he left. Had to laugh, his mom never calls him, and he never cares. This room will house generators and our water barrel storage. Need to make a fruit plate to bring to cousin's house for dinner. She is making meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, and coleslaw.

We have have that except the slaw, no cabbage.

cleaned and mopped part of the house, making visual plans for garden when it cools and humidity goes down.

Church this morning, then exercise video. Need to search for a wire brush to start "sanding" down wrought iron fence to paint. Will wash my sheets today and put comforter outside for awhile. Otherwise, try to take it easy. Not much sleep last night.

This year has been the year of some sleepless nights for us too. uusally I fall aseep fast, now not so much.

I was able to stay home for most of the day which was nice. Trying to do more sorting and getting rid of more. Made a little progress. It’s been raining most of the day so a great excuse not to get things done outside 😁. I made a batch of homemade crackers but mostly stayed out of the kitchen which was a nice change since canning started. Hubby worked again. Supper is about ready.

Spent the afternoon at the airport while Jake got seat time.

C9E9D045-E608-4B06-BBC4-0B09BA801AC6.jpeg
ED163FC8-A99E-4DE3-A359-F237BA563CB3.jpeg

Attachments

• AE7BBFDD-FFC3-4C98-99EB-3FDBE1050430.jpeg
    AE7BBFDD-FFC3-4C98-99EB-3FDBE1050430.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
  • 463A2C98-2CDF-40BE-B598-705829C8DB76.jpeg
    463A2C98-2CDF-40BE-B598-705829C8DB76.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 42
My wife and I took the day and drove a big loop through parts of Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire. The fall colors were striking (not peak), but as we got to the more northern reaches, they kind of petered out. We grabbed a bite up near White River Junction and then made our way home.

My wife and I took the day and drove a big loop through parts of Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire. The fall colors were striking (not peak), but as we got to the more northern reaches, they kind of petered out. We grabbed a bite up near White River Junction and then made our way home.
Not same area, but seeing the Appalachians in October is on my bucket list. We have lots of evergreens which are beautiful in their own right.
Sounds like you had a pleasant day.

It was beautiful and traffic was minimal. We needed the break… spent the last three days cleaning out the pantry in order to add more shelves. Oh, how stuff piles up when you’re prepp’n.

Love the evergreens too....

I didn’t know you could freeze milk. Does it thaw and taste the same?

It separates but you can give it a good shaking and it tastes fine after that. We have been doing this for years because it was 2 hours to the store for milk when we lived in the cabin. K likes to drink it when it is slushie but the girls like it better than the fat free junk my parents have.

It separates but you can give it a good shaking and it tastes fine after that. We have been doing this for years because it was 2 hours to the store for milk when we lived in the cabin. K likes to drink it when it is slushie but the girls like it better than the fat free junk my parents have.
We used to freeze it when we were on the ranch and only made it to town about once a month- like you said, just give it a shake.

Picked up grand daughter at 0630.
Her daddy picked her up at 1630 hours this afternoon.
Glory be, we didn't watch " How the Grinch Stole Christmas" for the upteenth time.
Instead we exercised, took Strawberry outside to take care of her business.
We played tag, giggled,kicked the soccer ball.
Strawberry sprawled out in the sun, rested.
Tired tonight.
So drinking diet coke, reading forums.
Then off to bed.
High School here this week starts Internet class work.
Most of the staff, all the football team, cheerleaders, band, pep club are in quarantine.
Last weeks opposing football team had someone who had tested positive expose them.
That high school is shut down too.

Not same area, but seeing the Appalachians in October is on my bucket list. We have lots of evergreens which are beautiful in their own right.
Sounds like you had a pleasant day.

Leaves are just starting to turn here at lower elevations. We may go up top next weekend. Fall is the most beautiful time of year around here.

Feel better, Terri. That stinks.
I've frozen milk many times. Just take some of it out before you freeze the jug.
Picked up 4 more gallons of raw milk this evening. One for drinking, 3 of them I've put in large containers in the fridge so I can skim off the cream and make more butter, maybe Tuesday. The barn cats and the chickens are loving what's left. I save the buttermilk for my cousins. I'm not a fan of it.

Cooked up the old turkey from the garage freezer. Made a small amount of stuffing, green bean casserole (using really old frozen green beans that I found buried in the freezer) and potatoes. The turkey was on the smaller side so I roasted it in the oven the way I cook whole chickens. Seasoned with smoked paprika and onion powder. K deboned the leftovers after we finished eating and I put the bones in the freezer for broth.

I have been thinking about getting a new fridge when we move in a few years. Since our current one has days where it gets too cold and freezes up I would use it as a freezer. Mostly dairy and veggies so the deep freeze could be for meat.

I've frozen milk many times. Just take some of it out before you freeze the jug.
Picked up 4 more gallons of raw milk this evening. One for drinking, 3 of them I've put in large containers in the fridge so I can skim off the cream and make more butter, maybe Tuesday. The barn cats and the chickens are loving what's left. I save the buttermilk for my cousins. I'm not a fan of it.

I pour 6-8 oz from each gallon jug into the current open jug (it is normally less than half full) before I put them in the freezer. We leave the caps off when we freeze them and put them back on once they are solid. I thaw them in the fridge for a couple days once we are ready for a 'fresh' jug.

We used to freeze it when we were on the ranch and only made it to town about once a month- like you said, just give it a shake.
I pour 6-8 oz from each gallon jug into the current open jug (it is normally less than half full) before I put them in the freezer. We leave the caps off when we freeze them and put them back on once they are solid. I thaw them in the fridge for a couple days once we are ready for a 'fresh' jug.
Awesome! Thanks for this info y’all! So you can freeze home made butter too! I have a few to many jugs of whipping cream I was thinking about turning into butter since they are getting closer to expiring and definitely won’t get used up in time.

Awesome! Thanks for this info y’all! So you can freeze home made butter too! I have a few to many jugs of whipping cream I was thinking about turning into butter since they are getting closer to expiring and definitely won’t get used up in time.
I freeze butter as well as sour cream, cream cheese, regular cheese (though organic cheeses get crumbly- but still good) etc.

Good morning! It's laundry day. And flea meds day for the pups.
Will go for walk after I feed dogs today and probably in the future. More time after and don't feel as rushed to get back.
We will visit our company at their new home a little later today and I will put out sevin dust on the garden now that the rain is done.

Laundry day here, too. Fourth load in right now. Went into town to a Dollar Tree and stocked up on random stuff. Also picked up 10# of Murano sugar for cousin there. Went to our little town's Hardware Store and bought a Lithium 12V (Millers Battery). All the rage here. Lighter, too. Will get that hooked up to charge on our solar set up. Went to lunch with husband. I guess today is Columbus Day. Wasn't celebrated in New Mexico because it was racist. They have indigenous peoples day today. Kansans were surprised at that. Plumber coming by so we can order the stuff for the handicapped bathroom going in next month.

Latest posts

Back