What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many cows do you have? So far we haven;t had any cows. We have had a horse for a while ( belonged to an Amish neighbor, he let me keep her for about half a year of and on while they visited relatives in other States for months at a time) , goats, sheep, chickens, and this year pigs, but no cows.
Only 2. Vet gave me 1st one after my old cow that I bottlefed & raised died. She also needed to be bottle fed. Years later a neighbor's bull broke the fence to get to her so she had a baby.

Today I have to take our oldest cat for her vaccines and my boy for his last round. They hate each other so this is going to be fun. Hopefully Bailey will not need multiple rounds of vaccines as she is old. I was hoping I could get away with the one year round for all of them and then the 3 year round. I figure that will be the last vaccines for a few of our seniors but then maybe not since they are pretty healthy.
Something the vets often don't mention is that the rabies vaccine can cause cancer. That's why they now give it in the leg instead of the back. One of my cats got cancer at the injection site & had to have her leg amputated. But there was some fragments of it left & it eventually spread to her lungs. She passed away in my arms when she was 16.

One of the cats I'd been taking care of the last few days was put down last evening. He had had lung cancer for 1 1/2 years. Owner told me he was having a hard time and they knew his days were numbered. Everyday when I went to feed him and give him his insulin injection, I was taking videos and photos and sending them to the owners. I could tell he was struggling. When they got home last evening, they realized they needed to take him to the vet. Their friend and neighbor whose house I stayed in sent me a text message today, telling me he was gone now. The cat's owners are devastated. Both the wife and the husband were sobbing. The cat was rescued 10 years ago at the age of 2 weeks. Its mother had died and it and its sister had eye infections. Someone was going to put the litter of kittens down, but she took two of them, fed them with eye droppers and saved them. Such a sad day.
When they first met, she had the cats, and he wasn't a fan of cats. He grew to be very attached to them.
Cancer sucks! I've lost numerous pets and friends to it. I had at least 7 pets to it in the last 15 years. It's never easy. Vet stopped giving my cats vaccines around age 14 or so.

Got woken up by a cat stepping on my face & slipping so his back claw cut my cheek & nose. Had to clean up the blood & hold a wet tissue on it until it stopped bleeding & then put antibiotic cream on.

Took pictures of the setup in my well house for the plumbing forums since I need help with diagnosing some issues. I know it is not set up properly at all.

Went to friend's house to take a shower (ours doesn't work). He was at the store but left the door unlocked for me & didn't even know I'd been there. LOL. I put everything back the way it was before I came in so he couldn't. Tomorrow I'm taking is fiance to the courthouse for her trial. Still pissed that she hasn't even heard from or met her attorney yet.

Thanks Meer. A little better than yesterday morning. Still ain't figured out whats going on. Starting to think I've got a vertabre a little out of place.

Hope you can get that looked at. You need to take good care of yourself as so many depend on you.

Praying for you,

Urban

Only 2. Vet gave me 1st one after my old cow that I bottlefed & raised died. She also needed to be bottle fed. Years later a neighbor's bull broke the fence to get to her so she had a baby.

Something the vets often don't mention is that the rabies vaccine can cause cancer. That's why they now give it in the leg instead of the back. One of my cats got cancer at the injection site & had to have her leg amputated. But there was some fragments of it left & it eventually spread to her lungs. She passed away in my arms when she was 16.

Cancer sucks! I've lost numerous pets and friends to it. I had at least 7 pets to it in the last 15 years. It's never easy. Vet stopped giving my cats vaccines around age 14 or so.

Got woken up by a cat stepping on my face & slipping so his back claw cut my cheek & nose. Had to clean up the blood & hold a wet tissue on it until it stopped bleeding & then put antibiotic cream on.

Took pictures of the setup in my well house for the plumbing forums since I need help with diagnosing some issues. I know it is not set up properly at all.

Went to friend's house to take a shower (ours doesn't work). He was at the store but left the door unlocked for me & didn't even know I'd been there. LOL. I put everything back the way it was before I came in so he couldn't. Tomorrow I'm taking is fiance to the courthouse for her trial. Still pissed that she hasn't even heard from or met her attorney yet.

Hope things workout for you. Hope your friend can get off the bum rap....

Lived in a place with no hot water or gas for the stove for a while, had to heat a 5 gallon bucket with a space heater to take a luke warm spit-bath.... that sucked. I was really thankful for electric blankets and space heaters.

It makes me so thankful for all the things I have today....

Last edited:
Then late in the day one of my techs called and told me his wife has covid. To top that off she has cancer and hasn't even got to start treatment yet. Please say a prayer for them.

Wow. Prayers sent.

We just lost a long time family friend to Covid, and her husband has cancer and is battling it.

I am curious about what Korean foods you cook. Daughter is a big fan of Korean food, and most Asian foods. It is about the rice, mostly, I think, since she has a gluten allergy and doesn't do many sandwiches.

It's snowing, already have about an inch on the ground.
Korean food: you need special ingredients you have to either buy in an Asian grocery store ( we have one about an hour from here we go to sometimes) or oder online: Korean gochujang pepper sauce for example) . The Korean bbq is just meat with Korean bbq type sauce on it, which includes some typical Asian things like ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, plus some sugar, honey, garlic, plus the gochujang sauce. There is no substitute for this sauce.
I also make things like gimbap which is sort of like a sushi roll but with different stuff inside. For this you would need to get seaweed sheets. I maek kimchi ( fermented cabbage) which goes with everything. I love kimchi stew also, which has kimchi, ground pork, tofu in it.
There are some good websites online for Korean food, that's where I got most recipes from

This just looked like a fun toy, so I made one yesterday. It works as advertised, and there is method to the madness. You always have a fire starter and tinder for everyday carry. I did make one modification. Instead of the cotton balls and Vaseline I cut the ends off of Q Tips. When you rub them in the Chapstick they burn like candles. Not as messy as cotton balls and Vaseline, and a little easier to get out of the cap. They worked like a champ. Three or four tips will fit in the cap.

We missed 'Person Of Interest' when it went out but not nerly as long as your series. I've had some of my own paranormal experiances. I know their is a supernatural for sure. Sorry your episodes ran out.

Watched it, cried . It ended good, but it made me sad it is over. I do think the real god is sort of like Chuck most likely

I think I watched a few episodes of person of interest. It made me sort of have a headache from the camera going in and out, couldn't watch it for long

Hope things workout for you. Hope your friend can get off the bum rap....

Lived in a place with no hot water or gas for the stove for a while, had to heat a 5 gallon bucket with a space heater to take a luke warm spit-bath.... that sucked. I was really thankful for electric blankets and space heaters.

It makes me so thankful for all the things I have today....

We didn't have hot water in teh bathroom for the first year we live here and had to heat up pots on the wood stove for bucket baths in the cold bathroom, I can relate

Korean food: you need special ingredients you have to either buy in an Asian grocery store ( we have one about an hour from here we go to sometimes) or oder online: Korean gochujang pepper sauce for example) . The Korean bbq is just meat with Korean bbq type sauce on it, which includes some typical Asian things like ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, plus some sugar, honey, garlic, plus the gochujang sauce. There is no substitute for this sauce.
I also make things like gimbap which is sort of like a sushi roll but with different stuff inside. For this you would need to get seaweed sheets. I make kimchi ( fermented cabbage) which goes with everything. I love kimchi stew also, which has kimchi, ground pork, tofu in it.
There are some good websites online for Korean food, that's where I got most recipes from
Thank you. I have two H-Marts in my area which are large Asian grocery stores. They stock many Korean foods. I think I have everything except the gochujang sauce.

Today will be a bit lighter work compared to the last two days of clearing downed trees and pushing snow all day in the bitter cold. The weather is much improved so I’ll pretty up the berms today, but the highlight of the day will be further work organizing all the stuff in my basement/cellar. Actually looking forward to this as it’s the culmination of a project two years in the making.

We need to clear the deck of all the snow. Due to the snow runoff from the roof, it’s hard packed and 3 ft deep at the deepest spots. The high winds of the last few days has made it pretty hard packed. Might save this project for tomorrow as this will be a project. We have a big big deck.

I also make things like gimbap which is sort of like a sushi roll but with different stuff inside. For this you would need to get seaweed sheets. I maek kimchi ( fermented cabbage) which goes with everything. I love kimchi stew also, which has kimchi, ground pork, tofu in it.

We like Asian food but we stick to the basics now a days, stir fry, pepper steak fried rice ,egg rolls is about it.Always try to keep soy sauce and ginger around.Still have spring onions in freezer.a few jars of carrots we canned left too.

Have lots to do today to catch up on housework.Plus lately things have been 'complecated in other areas so I need to make some personal changes too.
Maybe study on 2 of my favorite quotes. One a freind told me many years ago,

" it is better to understand than to be understood".
the other is Ghandi " Be the change you want to see in the world".
I have been accencentchuating the wrong one.

Good morning all.

Woke up to no headache so far. Yahoo!
Strawberry has been walked.
Sipping coffee.
Doorbell rang which upsets Strawberry.
Which in terms upsets me, with her barking.
Had front porch delivery of crocheted blanket needing help.
Grand daughter of elderly friend(she's 95) dropped off blanket.
Seems Bert dropped a few stitches.
Could I help Bert get back on track.
Why certainly without looking at said blanket .
Poor poor blanket.
Ended up taking it almost completely apart,
Threw away one complete ball of rotten yarn that had came apart in middle of blanket.
So will rework it with her yarn and some of mine, to give Bert back her blanket.
Floors have been dusted.
Furniture has been given a lick and promise.
Will have to go to Wal*Mart in the next day or 2 for fresh produce.
Took out trash.
Prayers going out all that need them.

Lots of laundry done and hung (inside). Watching the guys pour the floor of the basement. I have a great view from our stairwell window. I do believe tomorrow the up building will be started, then it'll look like something. On my way to lunch and to get straw for the chicken houses.

We need som for our hens nesting beds. We use to have plenty till we sold all pine trees.

Took DH to doc appt. 70 miles away this morning. Stopped briefly at a new thrift shop on the way back and the salvage grocery. Glad to be home!

My new phone came today. Will take it to Verizon tomorrow so they can change all data over to new phone.

Tomorrow, I hope to start walking again. Have missed it with all the stress and things going on in our lives.

So I did nothing today, well other than take care of the animals and cook lunch, and do dishes. But usually I do at least a few other things. Today I just didn't feel like it, and sat there most of the afternoon and tried to find something new on Netflix to watch and posted some on FB and other forum. Do you ever have days when you really don't feel productive , for no particular reason?
I wished winter was already over and it was spring. I used to love winter but not anymore.

Today was Okay, work was sort of acceptable....

The new shelves arrived for my window box, they are wider than what I envisioned. I have started to assemble them and they will block a closet, I think I will just remove the door and go on.... I have a lot of plants ready to be transplanted so the timing is good.

The Baker seed book arrived tonight, looks interesting, the wife is now hooked in it's grasp..... She has a pen in hand so this could be painful. ;)

The potatoes are now about 8"s tall, so in a couple of days I will add soil to their buckets. I have found that if I use a #10 can with both ends cut out I can put it around the plant, add soil on the outside of the can and then pull the can out and the soil will slide down to the base of the plant, as I water the soil slides down slowly around the plant. I also realized that the plants pull in their leaves at night, so I guess I will do it while they are sleeping ;)

Things are so turned around this year it's hard to believe that it's only 2 weeks till Christmas. This year is extra hard on the wife, first time in over 30 years that it will be just us, no kids or grand kids running around the house. Dang Covid.... :(

Hope everyone has a happy, safe, healthy, and productive week!

Urban

Today was Okay, work was sort of acceptable....

The new shelves arrived for my window box, they are wider than what I envisioned. I have started to assemble them and they will block a closet, I think I will just remove the door and go on.... I have a lot of plants ready to be transplanted so the timing is good.

The Baker seed book arrived tonight, looks interesting, the wife is now hooked in it's grasp..... She has a pen in hand so this could be painful. ;)

The potatoes are now about 8"s tall, so in a couple of days I will add soil to their buckets. I have found that if I use a #10 can with both ends cut out I can put it around the plant, add soil on the outside of the can and then pull the can out and the soil will slide down to the base of the plant, as I water the soil slides down slowly around the plant. I also realized that the plants pull in their leaves at night, so I guess I will do it while they are sleeping ;)

Things are so turned around this year it's hard to believe that it's only 2 weeks till Christmas. This year is extra hard on the wife, first time in over 30 years that it will be just us, no kids or grand kids running around the house. Dang Covid.... :(

Hope everyone has a happy, safe, healthy, and productive week!

Urban

Urban this is true not many into the olidays as before. Just have to use our imagination. It is hard to get use to kids all growing up and leaving. Now even the grand kids are grown and have busy lives. Then the virus seperating us too.

My new tech finally got started today. Soon as he showed up the bagding system went down so had to wait a couple hours and go back for that. Mostly killed the morning. Then I also found out the computer winnies didn't have his computer ready. So wasn't able to start training yet. Thats a big deal due to the volume of training new hires have to do. We were able to get him out in the field with another tech to start learning about our water systems. I also got 2 new projects to get parts ordered for and scheduled. All in all a good day.
We have planned to go to Michigan to visit wife sister for Christmas. But with all the CV crap going on, all the craziness from the Mi Governor in particular, just not sure I want to do that.

We are watching Tora Tora Tora tonight and I’m cleaning up my work boots. I usually take better care of my boots but with the work we have going at home and work I just haven’t found the time. It always amazes me on how new shoe strings and a little polish makes an old pair of boots look.
DFCF6CC5-97F2-47DC-8043-FAC88A642CEE.jpeg

My new tech finally got started today. Soon as he showed up the bagding system went down so had to wait a couple hours and go back for that. Mostly killed the morning. Then I also found out the computer winnies didn't have his computer ready. So wasn't able to start training yet. Thats a big deal due to the volume of training new hires have to do. We were able to get him out in the field with another tech to start learning about our water systems. I also got 2 new projects to get parts ordered for and scheduled. All in all a good day.
We have planned to go to Michigan to visit wife sister for Christmas. But with all the CV crap going on, all the craziness from the Mi Governor in particular, just not sure I want to do that.

I can relate to that. Several months ago some states were talking about closing down states borders to out of state travelers. Thank goodness it didn't get far.But who knows whats next,another reason why we don't travel out of state. Plus getting sick away from home would not be good either. But I do understand the wife wanting to visit family, so do I .

I am hoping that today is going to be a good day.... The wife's plan is to clean and decorate the living room in holiday fare (she may have help).

On the growing front the new shelves are in place, I now have room at the window for 6 5-gal buckets and 10 window boxes, which I just happen to have on hand. I hope to put some of the supplemental lighting in tonight or tomorrow. After that, I will start filling the window boxes with transplants. This will free up a lot of space on my old growing shelves so I can fill that with the standardized tubs. The plants in starter trays are starting to get leggy and crowded so the timing is right.

I am pleased to say that between spraying and a couple of 20 degree nights, my aphid problem is gone.... The outdoor spinach is doing well and will soon be where I can start taking small harvests off it.

Back