What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not doing much. We've been working on recall with the kids service dog. She is great on leash or in a building but out in the pasture.... Forget it. She's off and running. Until Monday . I introduced her to the electric collar. One shock on low/med power is all it took. You say her name and she turns right around and comes to you.

DH had to take his mom to the urgent care clinic. She has sore throat,fever , tired, headache. Tested her for COVID. Bingo Bango she has it. She is 83. Gave her some mouthwash type stuff for sore throat. Told her to go home and stay in quarantine for 10 days.

We had a quiet tech free Christmas day. The only time a phone was picked up was when my folks facetimed us to see the girls. The girls loved their gifts even though they didn't get the mountains of gifts they saw in previous years. Trying to get them use to working for what they want and not just being given everything.

Going to start a 365 day declutter challenge in January. Got my calendars printed with the daily tasks and the weekly theme/area list. Since we will be at my folks for new years I will do the first 2 days tasks before we go. Just small tasks that end up being small parts of the big picture. I want to get a massive jump on the declutter and purge for when our lease is up in November 2022.

I got the pet taxi for our old cat, Baily. It is a standard hard plastic carrier. I got 2 mat for it. I plan to put a washable puppy pad under the mat so if she pees I can toss everything in the wash and hose it all down. The goal is to cut down on having to wash the whole carrier like with the soft sided one I have for her now. The mat in the soft sided one can not be washed in the machine so it takes forever to get out the urine smell by hand.

@Grimm did you use your own ideas for the declutter challenge or get ideas from the 365 day cleaning websites? Are you using each month for a certain thing? I'm interested because we moved into this place maybe 5 years ago. Everything had been in storage for a few months while we tried to figure out where we were going to live. Things change, I've been going through personal business papers today and opening mail I forgot about. Nasty surprises. I don't have a paper shredder.
There are some things that I will not let go of, like family lumber, power tools, auto tools, furniture projects, inflatable boats, camping equipment.

DodgesMamMaw, I hope your DH's mother will be OK.

I've been feeling sick and am not sure what it is. It's most likely seasonal crud, but just to err on the side of caution I'm self-quarantining a bit. I will go to my doctor and get tested for Covid on Monday if it persists (he'll do the test for free but hospital won't-- and they won't test without a referral). I had the chills last night and woke up sweating. Been coughing, feeling tired, and now I'm nauseous. Not all Covid symptoms but I don't want to risk exposing my mother and brother or anyone else.

Hope you feel better soon @zannej ! And I don't understand why we (US) don't treat the elderly who test positive @DodgesMamMaw . It's not right when there are treatments available!

Going to do an exercise video in a few minutes.
Church.
Set up eBay folders for 2021.
Maybe meet with ladies group later, not sure if that is happening or not.
EBay photos?

I am praying for all our friends here, there is so much sickness and need it can be overwhelming.

This morning I spent a lot of time drawing and writing specifications for a self-watering pot (posted on Garden 2020. )

We have Church this morning

This afternoon I am going to make an inventory of available planting containers that I can convert to self-watering for the 2021 growing season.

Last night I realized that the bottom shelf of growing station 1 was being wasted storing empty boxes, I cleaned off the shelf and installed grow lights above it, that increased my growing space there by 30%.

Tonight the wife and I are having a planning council on next Wednesday’s grocery list. As we are planning to start a Biden Buy-cott from January 1 till April 15 we need to make sure we cover all our needs for the next 3 months. It's my effort to make a Boston Tea Party statement to the new administration.

Besides if Hyperinflation does come, wouldn't it be better to have a little extra food in the house now and know that I don't have to go to the store every week. If my indoor gardening is successful, come April I will only need to buy meat and dairy which is fine by me as a lot of the green stuff comes from California or is imported from South America

Hope you feel better soon @zannej ! And I don't understand why we (US) don't treat the elderly who test positive @DodgesMamMaw . It's not right when there are treatments available!

Going to do an exercise video in a few minutes.
Church.
Set up eBay folders for 2021.
Maybe meet with ladies group later, not sure if that is happening or not.
EBay photos?
I totally agree- because they would rather push the expensive patented vaccine than treat with an inexpensive medicine ☹️
I am praying for all our friends here, there is so much sickness and need it can be overwhelming.

This morning I spent a lot of time drawing and writing specifications for a self-watering pot (posted on Garden 2020. )

We have Church this morning

This afternoon I am going to make an inventory of available planting containers that I can convert to self-watering for the 2021 growing season.

Last night I realized that the bottom shelf of growing station 1 was being wasted storing empty boxes, I cleaned off the shelf and installed grow lights above it, that increased my growing space there by 30%.

Tonight the wife and I are having a planning council on next Wednesday’s grocery list. As we are planning to start a Biden Buy-cott from January 1 till April 15 we need to make sure we cover all our needs for the next 3 months. It's my effort to make a Boston Tea Party statement to the new administration.

Besides if Hyperinflation does come, wouldn't it be better to have a little extra food in the house now and know that I don't have to go to the store every week. If my indoor gardening is successful, come April I will only need to buy meat and dairy which is fine by me as a lot of the green stuff comes from California or is imported from South America
I’m liking this too! I might just have to do a check on my stores and make sure there are no voids. I’ve been doing this over the course of the summer but might keep better track with Jan 1 “begin date.”
I know we don’t have enough dog and bunny food for that long.

Today, I placed orders for some food stores, flour, dry milk, nuts and stuff like that, stores had them in stock and I just pulled the trigger. TP is still not shipping, but may be able to get it December 31 when they update their inventory list.

I had to re-transplant my bush beans because they were just too big for their container, I have celery in 2 places that will need to be transplanted before the day is out, and I have turnips that are also crowding each other... I just way under estimated their space demands....

I would have been much better off if I had just stopped and waited a little while longer before planting the second rotation of seeds. Now I am looking at every south window in the house as a light source for surplus plants....

Or, thinking strategically I could give a few plants to people I know who have the space and south windows to grow a few plants... That would help them and me.

I was feeling like garbage in the morning but felt a little better in the day. Sent my brother to pick up a door for our friend (his front door was broken). They facetimed me and were having trouble getting the door to hang straight when the frame was looking level. I kept repeatedly telling them to check the hinges. My brother talked over me, insulted me, and kept telling me to shut up and refused to listen. He ended up breaking the threshold and then finally after all of it, I got my friend to examine the hinges and he realized the top hinge had been installed wrong and that it was bent a bit. If my brother had let me get a word in edgewise, it would have saved hours of trouble. But, now he has a broken threshold on a brand new door. But, he does have a new door so that's something.
While they were working on the door the friend's paternal grandfather rolled up, laid on the horn and hollered "Come check my oil!" and for some reason my friend went and did it rather than telling him to get someone else to do it. Old man owes him thousands of $ but won't even repay him a dime to help him out and wants him to do free work on his vehicle all the time.

Friend seemed to be feeling a little better but he's been drinking alcohol-- which is not good bc addition runs in his family. He told me he got a call that his grandfather on his mom's side survived Covid but now has pneumonia and isn't doing well.

A quiet day, finally got my kitchen back in order and everything cleaned and put where it goes. Holidays throws my normal kitchen routine out the window, bigger bowls/pans and rarely used utensils get dirty etc.

Anyone here eat grapefruit slices? I buy them for the folks every week with their groceries. They come in a quart container, peeled and seeded w/juice. They have them in the produce section cooler near other fresh fruit. Anyway I bought the pint size for me this week. I ate all of them in two nights! As a kids mom would buy us red grape fruits, slice them in half and sprinkle sugar on them. We would eat them with little spoons like they were a bowl. I haven't had grapefruit since then... til now.

A quiet day, finally got my kitchen back in order and everything cleaned and put where it goes. Holidays throws my normal kitchen routine out the window, bigger bowls/pans and rarely used utensils get dirty etc.

Anyone here eat grapefruit slices? I buy them for the folks every week with their groceries. They come in a quart container, peeled and seeded w/juice. They have them in the produce section cooler near other fresh fruit. Anyway I bought the pint size for me this week. I ate all of them in two nights! As a kids mom would buy us red grape fruits, slice them in half and sprinkle sugar on them. We would eat them with little spoons like they were a bowl. I haven't had grapefruit since then... til now.
That is so funny; I have been having cravings for grapefruit lately. I have found that I like to just slice one in half and then eat one half with a spoon, no sugar. I find that it kills my appetite for hours. The wife laughs because I don't want to dirty a bowl, just eat it over the sink, drink the juice when I've eaten all the pulp, spoon gets rinsed and goes into the dish washer, rind goes right in the trash. Don't forget to wash your hands. :0

Today is a normal work day, but this morning I ordered 2 more backup UPS. That should give me full coverage for any short term power outages we may have in the future. I already had a large (800AH) backup for the wife's oxygen machine and one for my work desk; I wanted to cover the network and my wife's CPAP machine. I am a firm believer that you have to be looking over the horizon if you want to avoid "Ice Bergs"

Last edited:
Thought I would have quite house yesterday, to clean and put my house back together.
Nope, didn't happen.
Had tired, cranky oldest grand daughter instead.
That little fart head is going to be hit a growth spurt sooner than later.
Eat everything in site.
They finally left, Granny sat in recliner went to sleep.
Woke up couldn't move from waist down.
Couldn't feel my legs.
While I was sleeping soundly I might add.
Strawberry had climbed up on my lap, stretched out.
She went to sleep, she woke me up making whimpering noises while sleeping.
I don't know what she was chasing in her dreams, but I hope to heck she caught it.
My big plans for today;
Dishes
Sweep floors
Rewrap Baby Reign's presents.
Catch a nap sometime today.
Come first of the year, will be reading old reports kinda like cold, cold, frigid case files.
Last set of reports I read, they started picking up persons of interest Christmas Day.
Merry Christmas!
And that could get ugly quick.
Listening to silence this morning.

I really like grapefruits with spoon and a little bit of sugar.But here in florida of all places,they are not big and cost about $2 each! So no grapefruits fro me.I just can't see spending that much for one. But then guess its the way it is.

That is so funny; I have been having cravings for grapefruit lately. I have found that I like to just slice one in half and then eat one half with a spoon, no sugar. I find that it kills my appetite for hours. The wife laughs because I don't want to dirty a bowl, just eat it over the sink, drink the juice when I've eaten all the pulp, spoon gets rinsed and goes into the dish washer, rind goes right in the trash. Don't forget to wash your hands. :0

Today is a normal work day, but this morning I ordered 2 more backup UPS. That should give me full coverage for any short term power outages we may have in the future. I already had a large (800AH) backup for the wife's oxygen machine and one for my work desk; I wanted to cover the network and my wife's CPAP machine. I am a firm believer that you have to be looking over the horizon if you want to avoid "Ice Bergs"

We just had a good example of how much you miss when power goes out 3 days ago for almost 24 hours. We need to cut down some trees in case we need to set up solar.

Thought I would have quite house yesterday, to clean and put my house back together.
Nope, didn't happen.
Had tired, cranky oldest grand daughter instead.
That little fart head is going to be hit a growth spurt sooner than later.
Eat everything in site.
They finally left, Granny sat in recliner went to sleep.
Woke up couldn't move from waist down.
Couldn't feel my legs.
While I was sleeping soundly I might add.
Strawberry had climbed up on my lap, stretched out.
She went to sleep, she woke me up making whimpering noises while sleeping.
I don't know what she was chasing in her dreams, but I hope to heck she caught it.
My big plans for today;
Dishes
Sweep floors
Rewrap Baby Reign's presents.
Catch a nap sometime today.
Come first of the year, will be reading old reports kinda like cold, cold, frigid case files.
Last set of reports I read, they started picking up persons of interest Christmas Day.
Merry Christmas!
And that could get ugly quick.
Listening to silence this morning.
Update:
I went through the chest freezer to refill the refrig. freezer.
After filling refrig freezer will be taking money next month to get another meat bundle.
Did new update inventory on chest freezer maybe 15 packages of meat left.
Whole lot of dried frozen fruits and vegetables though.
But happy note is refrig freezer is complete stuffed to the gills with vegetables, fruits and meat.
Before I get new meat bundle will defrost chest freezer.
Already deep cleaned the bathroom.
Sorted laundry, will probably do that before snow hits tonight,tomorrow.
Cooking chicken nuggets in air fryer now.
I would love to have a grapefruit.
But atlas not meant to be, I take blood pressure medicine.

Went into the bigger town with husband for his allergy shot today. Then grabbed lunch and did a shopping trip at Walmart. Child #4 is flying in tomorrow afternoon for a visit. Got some more stuff to wrap up for her to open. Little granddaughter's mom and mom's boyfriend are visiting right now, and thankfully visiting in the upstairs family room. Hopefully they'll leave pretty soon.

Went into the bigger town with husband for his allergy shot today. Then grabbed lunch and did a shopping trip at Walmart. Child #4 is flying in tomorrow afternoon for a visit. Got some more stuff to wrap up for her to open. Little granddaughter's mom and mom's boyfriend are visiting right now, and thankfully visiting in the upstairs family room. Hopefully they'll leave pretty soon.

LOL, Mr.Meers mom use to say " love to see yall come and love to see yall go".

Been up since 5am (very early for me) and just got home around 1pm from the girls' annual doctor appointment. They got their updated vaccines- Roo just got the flu and Juju got the MMR and chickenpox booster. I got some info for an autism clinic for Roo. Our pediatrician has a child on the spectrum (older than Roo but on the higher functioning side) so she knows how helpful this clinic is. There is a long wait list but we can wait to get the right help for Roo.

Paid rent and set up a maintenance request to have the sprinkler system looked at. It is running for hours even though the timer is set for 3 minutes. I hope they fix the oven while they are here!

Leftovers for dinner tonight. I want to clean out the fridge before New Years so we don't have 'last year's' food in there!

Went shopping for a recliner today. I learned the "overstock places". all get their stuff from the same supplier, and it's all deficient in at least one area. Won't stay open, won't close, back to short, bad fabric/ffake leather upholstery, etc etc. Ikea has a candidate, we will look at that one tomorrow and see how it fares.

Went shopping for a recliner today. I learned the "overstock places". all get their stuff from the same supplier, and it's all deficient in at least one area. Won't stay open, won't close, back to short, bad fabric/ffake leather upholstery, etc etc. Ikea has a candidate, we will look at that one tomorrow and see how it fares.
Glad to see you're doing better and on here more 😁 Of course, you could be on here a little more if you had a nice comfy recliner to relax in ;)

Latest posts

Back