What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well thanks for all the well wishes.
I need to not read this thread .....it's making me have anxiety. Is there anyone actually healthy and doing great on here? I am so depressed now :(
Hope everyone feels better

I wrote some letters to friends today ( yes, some people still do that, some older people like my dad don't have computers or Iphones believe it or not)
Made lunch ( lamb , rice and carrot pilaf) , paid bills ( also not online, I refuse), of course took care of the animals , do that every day

Sonya looks like your in pretty bad shape yourself here. Ain't you glad you can vent to us about how in your mental state you can't handle bad news?
Thats ok we're use to it.
Let it all hang out, if it makes you happy, lol,two songs in one sentence!
Hope you get better and have a great day.

Today has been a reasonable day, I got the things on my list that I wanted for today, I have a list for tomorrow morning. Tonight I helped the wife get a shower and she was so happy, I got her sheets and bedding washed and changed so she didn't want to go to bed dirty in clean sheets.

I asked her how do you make hanging pots hang even, and she gave me that "What you talkin about Willis" Look. I explained that I have 2 south facing windows in the basement and I would like to hang a couple of plants in front of them to take advantage of that strong sun. It's nice to have someone who knows you well enough to see the smoke as you are thinking up stuff.

She was going to do some baking and she asked me to bring up some Shortening, I had that deer in the headlights look (found a hole). So I made a last minute dash out to the store for a short list of stuff, the place was a zoo. But, I got everything on my list (that does not mean the store had any left when I left) so I am a happy camper.

I would like to build a new rack for my outdoor rain water storage and distribution pump, I figure I will need about 20 pieces of lumber and 2 dozen heavy L brackets. It would be nice to have all of that wood work done and the barrels in place before April (Love those April Showers). I plan to do an HD run in the morning before work, the question is how much stuff do I want to get right now.

The last of my storage shelves were delivered tonight, so I will be assembling them on New Year's Day. They also delivered my UPS equipment so their installation is also on my to do list. I now have everything I need to make my self-watering pots, so I will make 1 tomorrow afternoon and take pictures for posting on 1/1/2021 in My 2021 Garden.

I was off today and had some down time, I ate lunch at 1 and fell asleep in the chair reading the Baker Seed Book, woke up at 3 and felt so guilty.

Hey, thanks guys, I enjoy "talking" with you all here. You feel like family.

Urban

Last edited:
Well, hey Urban, you need to sleep sometime. Going to my favorite cousins for lunch tomorrow, and then it's party time with the grandkids till midnight tomorrow night. I am ready. We have a new bingo set with the numbers in the rolling cage thingy. And I have a bag of Hershey kisses for the prizes. The old friends that I bumped in to from Wichita today just called and asked for chicken meat...whole chickens with the skin on. So we'll have to get to butchering maybe this weekend, still have a number of roosters to do. The ones we've been doing lately I've skinned, pieced, and food savered.

I need to not read this thread .....it's making me have anxiety. Is there anyone actually healthy and doing great on here? I am so depressed now :(

I wrote some letters to friends today ( yes, some people still do that, some older people like my dad don't have computers or Iphones believe it or not)
Made lunch ( lamb , rice and carrot pilaf) , paid bills ( also not online, I refuse), of course took care of the animals , do that every day
I’m healthy 😁 and ever so grateful 🙏. It kinda goes in spurts. There’s actually some kind and wonderful stuff shared on this thread. It’s the everyday things that are comforting. Strawberry gets walked and Snappy exercises, Jim finds some hotrod he needs 😅 Hiwall takes a hike. Wish life was more of the joy but other things happen too so this thread is the mish mash of all the real life stuff.
What kind of critters are you tending? (You might have said in a different thread but can’t remember 🥴).
We got new phones today- sorta excited since my old one was a hand me down iPhone 5. A little worried about what the new ones can do that I don’t know about. They gave me the wrong case so sending me the right one free as long as I send the wrong one back so that works out 😉

So Hey @Amish Heart, @Neb, @LadyLocust, @phideaux, @Patchouli, @Supervisor42, @Bacpacker and everyone else here. Do you have any fun traditions that you do on New Year's Eve?

The wife has a little plastic horn from 1955 and we try to sit up, eating treats and drinking root beer floats until the "ball drops", then we go to the door and each take a turn blowing the new year in on the Wife's little horn. Silly but it is fun.

Today has been a reasonable day, I got the things on my list that I wanted for today, I have a list for tomorrow morning. Tonight I helped the wife get a shower and she was so happy, I got her sheets and bedding washed and changed so she didn't want to go to bed dirty in clean sheets.

I asked her how do you make hanging pots hang even, and she gave me that "What you talkin about Willis" Look. I explained that I have 2 south facing windows in the basement and I would like to hang a couple of plants in front of them to take advantage of that strong sun. It's nice to have someone who knows you well enough to see the smoke as you are thinking up stuff.

She was going to do some baking and she asked me to bring up some Shortening, I had that deer in the headlights look (found a hole). So I made a last minute dash out to the store for a short list of stuff, the place was a zoo. But, I got everything on my list (that does not mean the store had any left when I left) so I am a happy camper.

I would like to build a new rack for my outdoor rain water storage and distribution pump, I figure I will need about 20 pieces of lumber and 2 dozen heavy L brackets. It would be nice to have all of that wood work done and the barrels in place before April (Love those April Showers). I plan to do an HD run in the morning before work, the question is how much stuff do I want to get right now.

The last of my storage shelves were delivered tonight, so I will be assembling them on New Year's Day. They also delivered my UPS equipment so their installation is also on my to do list. I now have everything I need to make my self-watering pots, so I will make 1 tomorrow afternoon and take pictures for posting on 1/1/2021 in My 2021 Garden.

I was off today and had some down time, I ate lunch at 1 and fell asleep in the chair reading the Baker Seed Book, woke up at 3 and felt so guilty.

Hey, thanks guys, I enjoy "talking" with you all here. You feel like family.

Urban

This is an online family. Maybe even with the crazy 3rd cousin. dancing chicken

And like lady said, this thread is about life. There is a ton of good stuff on this thread, and illness, just life in general

So Hey @Amish Heart, @Neb, @LadyLocust, @phideaux, @Patchouli, @Supervisor42, @Bacpacker and everyone else here. Do you have any fun traditions that you do on New Year's Eve?

The wife has a little plastic horn from 1955 and we try to sit up, eating treats and drinking root beer floats until the "ball drops", then we go to the door and each take a turn blowing the new year in on the Wife's little horn. Silly but it is fun.

This started back with a great uncle. He always called my mom at midnight. My grandparents always came up and stayed till then before they went home. Years later mom, sis, and I always talk at midnight at midnight. We gave up getting together then 10-15 years ago due to all the drunk and fatal accidents over the years.

We watch"Viva Los Vegas" with Elvis Presley and Ann Margret. We have not seen midnight in decades. We go to bed early.

Ben

Well, our tradition is to stay up till Midnight with the kids and play boardgames and eat junk. I make rumaki for husband and grandson (chicken liver and water chestnut wrapped in bacon), we'll have little sausages in barbeque sauce, nachos, cheese curls, and fancy german cookies. Sparkling cider to toast with. We'll play bingo and Apples to Apples. I like Monopoly, but it's not a favorite of the grandkids.
Viva Las Vegas is a great movie! Right up there with, "Beach Blanket Bingo"

sonya123,
I'm healthy except for the broken foot, stiff knee.
The knee got replaced in Jan 2020.
Foot got broke March 2020.
Can't stay off foot,
Strawberry has to go outside.
Sounds like you got the winter blah's.
It's all good.

I haven’t seen midnight on New Year’s Eve for decades. I do well to make it to 9pm 🤣. Growing up we would get together with the family that was like our second family and play “the farmer game”. It’s like monopoly but with barns and corn etc. That was fun. We do eat peas in NY day for a prosperous new year (so said Great Grandma). This year we might take our little trailer and go fishing with some friends. We haven’t planned that far out yet 😂

I do.
Twice a year I can get a real reading on the health of the local economy by watching the fireworks that are put up by neighbors, July 4th and New Year's eve.
It's basically a measure of spare money that they have to 'burn'.
So I'll be sitting on the front porch, doing nothing, making all my neighbors wonder how long I have been crazy :p.
Edit: I will drink a toast at midnight bidding farewell to 2020. It sucked!

Last edited:
We used to watch the ball drop, but that seems ridiculous doesn't it? NO MORE!
We watch a movie, any movie. Play games. I used to call my sister at midnight, but it'd be 1 a.m. for her. I think she quit staying up a few years ago.
OH! A couple of times hubs took his black powder reproduction weapon (that he made) outside to fire off a shot but one of our neighbors (back east) did NOT like that so he didn't do that again.
Sometimes at midnight on NYE I take a big pan outside with a big metal spoon and bang the crap out of it until my ears bleed. I don't think I've done that in 5 years.
We drink pretend champagne and toast fancy glasses. We eat popcorn. We try to keep the dog calm. Since her master's departure, she is much worse about the fireworks.
Most of all, we stay home. Nobody needs to go out when there are so many drunks on the road.

When we were much younger, we stayed up late enough to see the ball fall in times square....on tv.

If we make it to 10 pm it's pushing it.

@Meerkat , how's that great grand daughter?
She sure is a cutee. Hope she's ok.

Happy New Years to all the family here.💥🎉🎊

Jim

They changed her medicine and used shots this time and so far she is ok, they said any change come back, She said her side still hurts but fever is:Thankyou: down,Said its UTI so kidney infection. Thanks fro asking.

Happy New Year to yall too. :thumbs:

Meerkat, I hope she will be OK.

I felt a little worse today. Stomach just doesn't feel right. Feel tired and nauseous and generally bleh, but I've been worse.

My best friend is now single again. Long story short, his former fiance chose to run off with her f***boy. She didn't even think about taking the baby with her so now my friend is a single parent. My brother babysat today while he took someone to a doctor's appointment.

My brother cooked so I didn't have to. He also gave me some Mucinex and Pepto Bismol.

Tomorrow was the earliest they could schedule me to get tested for Covid.

For now I'm taking it easy, washing my hands a lot, and wearing a mask when outside of my room.

Good morning! I ran my errands for the Year, fuel tanks are all full and I have most of what I will need for a while. Today is the first trash day here since Christmas and you can usually tell by the trash at the curb if people had a big year or not. From the looks of it, 90% did very little, the few who did have a big year were not that over the top either. I wonder what that will do for the economic numbers.

Hey @zannej hope you start feeling better real soon, the wife tells be a nice bowl of IceCream helps with the stomach and bleh, but she says it has to be good Ice cream (Not the cheap stuff I eat). Get well, soon, we're praying for you.

Urban

Good morning HCL! I woke up at 0300 and couldn't get back to sleep. So, I've already been to the gym and had breakfast. I'm watching Dual Survival and contemplating whether to catch a little nap now. 😁

My new year's tradition used to be drinking everything in sight, hitting on every girl in sight, and generally making an a$$ of myself. Now... I'll play a game or two with my daughter, we'll watch a movie, and she wants to do a zoom call with her best friend at midnight.

Have a great day everybody, and a safe New Year's Eve...

Last edited:
Good morning, UrbanHunter (and everyone else). Can't sleep because my arrhythmia is acting up. I'm normally still napping at this time of day. My brother made beef stew (well, was supposed to be stew, too thin so it's more soup) in the pressure cooker. Still has something for the other pressure cooker over at our friend's house so he couldn't make rice with it. It's got beef stew meat, garlic salt, mixed seasonings, potatoes, and carrots. No onions since I'm allergic.
Stomach is still feeling meh. I'm gassy and I can feel it in my chest. I think the post-nasal drip has my digestive system off kilter. No breathing problems but I feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen (which happens sometimes because I have two prolapsed valves in my heart). My appointment is at 10:15 so I'm biding my time before I have to leave. Feeling a bit lightheaded off and on. Kitties cuddling and purring helps a bit.
I'll have to try the ice cream. We have Bluebelle french vanilla ice cream in the fridge.

Spikedriver, hope the rest of your day goes well and that you have a good new year's eve. I fully intend to be sleeping at that time.

Just spent my normal 1 1/2 hours in Dentist parking lot , because , no waiting in waiting room.😡

Now having lunch.

Then heading home.
Gotta fill the woodbox.

Check oil in Vette, so grandson can take it to TN tonight.
He's excited, but it's suppose to rain all night and all day tomorrow.

Vettes are tricky in the rain 🙏.

Jim

Had my Covid test at the doctor's office. Nurse had Covid earlier this year so she's sympathetic to patients and is very gentle with the swabbing, but my nasal passages were inflamed so it was annoying as hell. Didn't hurt but was irritating and made the inside of my nose itch for a few minutes afterward.
Diagnosis is a sinus infection. I actually had a fever-- which explains some of my symptoms and generally feeling crappy.
Doctor told me to get rest and fluids so I'm taking it easy and cuddling with my cats. The purring helps me relax and reduces the headache. One of the cats is licking my hand. LOL.
Hope everyone else is having a good day.

There is an age old tradition in our house were The Princess asks if I am getting anything done while I stare at the ceiling planning a project. It happened again as I planned out how to go about connecting my cardboard prototype to the existing return duct.

I had drawn a quick sketch of the general path for potential duct work.

20201231_154123.jpg

There were 2 things I had problems with. First issue the air flow had to make 4 90 degree bends each of which introduced a restriction to flow. The other was the tight space I had to work in to install the ducts.

20201231_153947.jpg

The junction box in the center of the above image is located below where one of the elbows would have to be installed to join to my cardboard prototype which will come through between the floor joists. The light in the below image is sitting in that hole between the 2 sides of the basement.

20201231_151515.jpg

Plenty of reasons to stop a figure out a better way. I eventually decided to penetrate the wall about 18" below where had planned and thereby eliminating 2 of the 90 degree bends!

So today was a day of checking measurements and determining if the more direct approach was possible. Imagine how elated I was when I found few restrictions AND locating an old section of duct work that fit the bill to a tee!

20201231_154110.jpg

While it is 8X10" instead of 7X11" that I used for the prototype I can modify the prototype to match and pick-up an extra 3sq in of cross section. Not only that but it has a nice smooth curve which is something I would not do if I was building it custom. Below is an image of the prototype and the duct mocked up on the floor.

20201231_151425.jpg

I wedged the curved duct up into place where it will mate with main return duct.

20201231_152230.jpg

Aside from having to move a junction box it is a good fit.

Ben is a happy camper!

Since this is my last update for 2020 let me remind you all to count your blessings and...

BEHAVE!

Ben

I just did something not fun. I sat and went through a thousand or so emails and deleted most of them. I have a few files I will try to save to a disc and put in the appropriate hard file until enough time has lapsed that I can pitch it all. For some reason I am feeling the need to protect as much as I can. My goal is to have it so that if my computer bit the dust, I wouldn't fret. I don't trust "the cloud" and don't want my info. shared, used for research, or whatever other evil scheme they conjure up. I know I can't prevent it to some degree, but again I can do what I can do. The less I keep stored online, the better.
And, Wahoo! We are leaving in the morning to go camping for the weekend. :)

Edited to add: I probably won't be able to have too much fun since Ben said we have to behave 😂

Walked first this morning and did dog chores.
Ran to town for sodas for DH and some meat specials.
Went to the Verizon store to re-activate my old phone and reset new one to return. It stays hot all the time and won't hold a charge.
Mailed off returned phone for a refund.

I came home and found that my next door neighbor had passed on in the middle of the night. We were pretty close and did things together often. I will miss her a lot!

I packaged my turnips for the freezer that I blanched last night. Blanched the turnips, not the freezer!

We will probably say Happy New Year to each other and then go to bed around 8 pm. LOL

Happy New Year, Family!!!

Walked first this morning and did dog chores.
Ran to town for sodas for DH and some meat specials.
Went to the Verizon store to re-activate my old phone and reset new one to return. It stays hot all the time and won't hold a charge.
Mailed off returned phone for a refund.

I came home and found that my next door neighbor had passed on in the middle of the night. We were pretty close and did things together often. I will miss her a lot!

I packaged my turnips for the freezer that I blanched last night. Blanched the turnips, not the freezer!

We will probably say Happy New Year to each other and then go to bed around 8 pm. LOL

Happy New Year, Family!!!

Blanched your Turnips, I would like to know more... this sounds interesting.

Blanched your Turnips, I would like to know more... this sounds interesting.

They were the last thing I harvested from my Fall garden. I do have a few collards leafing out again though. I scrubbed and sliced the turnips in the processor (I'm lazy like that), Put in boiling water for 3 minutes, drained, and then put in ice water until cool. Lastly, spread them out on cookie sheets and put in chest freezer. Packaged today and re-froze.

Back