What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spending my formative years in Duluth Minnesota, he treated as if he was near god-like status.

Ben

Well his interest to me is history mainly. I am also into ancient history far back as th tribe of Dan who also was a great seagfarring tribe from thr Bible. If I recall Dan went the way of the west but I forgot from where.

Doesn’t pure antifreeze have a higher freeze point then a 50/50 mix?
Excellent question!

Like an adult diaper... it depends... on what type of antifreeze.

Check that!

Most of the binary phase diagrams I have seen show the freezing point being defined as somewhere between the two solutes in their pure form.

100% water it freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit. 100% alcohol it freezes at alcohol freezing point. The percentage of the mix determines the freezing point.

I suspect there may be exeptions.

Please correct me if I am wrong. @UrbanHunter .

Ben

Just watched this video

Oops. Wrong one-- although, I did watch that one.
This one:

Ana is awesome. I wish I could meet her but she's up in Alaska.

I've been researching best ways to reinforce gate posts, solar powered gable fans, how to set up my automatic gate opener (once I replace the broken gate post and get my gate back up).

I asked my friend more questions about the truck he wants to buy & it still sounds fishy. Seller told him he got the title via a lien on the vehicle but I call BS. You don't get the title on a $30k vehicle over an $8600 paint job being owed. Owner can't sell the vehicle 'til it's paid (and if he couldn't afford the paint, he probably hasn't even paid the vehicle off). Red flags everywhere on this one. I finally told my friend I had a very bad feeling about the deal. I don't believe that his "friend" actually had the title. And if he does, there is something majorly wrong with the truck. Like, it has salvage title or something from major damage. He wasn't happy about it, but I'm trying to prevent him from getting screwed over yet again. I love him, but he's too trusting and impulsive sometimes. I'm the wet blanket that asks things like "How much will the insurance cost?" and "Why would they sell it so cheap if it was so good?"

I got up and cooked for Mom and did a little bit of cleaning.

Excellent question!

Check that!

Most of the binary phase diagrams I have seen show the freezing point being defined as somewhere between the two solutes in their pure form.

100% water it freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit. 100% alcohol it freezes at alcohol freezing point. The percentage of the mix determines the freezing point.

Ben
I have to ask what the anti-freeze is for? Is it to keep drain pipes from freezing in a winterized house, alcohol would be fine (prefer- non-toxic). If we are talking about engines that is a different story, many engine coolants are toxic, the old green Ethylene Glycol is toxic and may kill animals that drink it.

Engine coolant has 1 primary job, to pull excess heat away from the engine so the metal does not fail, the best heat transfer liquid is water, but it freezes at too high a temperature and water expands when it freezes which can damage the engine. So they add anti-freeze to lower the freezing temperature of the mixture, but they lose some heat transfer capacity in the process. Alcohol boils at a lower temperature (180F) than water so they use other chemicals that freeze at lower temperatures and boil at higher temperatures like the old yellow-green Ethylene Glycol. The addition of a pressure cap also raises the boiling temperature of the mix - just like a pressure cooker.

Today's engine coolants also have a number of chemicals in them to control corrosion between the aluminum(s) and iron type materials used throughout the engine, without the corrosion inhibitors the engine will create a galvanic cell between the different metals and the coolant acting like a battery, which shortens the life of the metal components.

Ben @Neb is correct about solute properties and binary phase diagrams.

Some may remember, on March 26, 2020 I posted pictures of the haircut I did on myself near the start of the pandemic lockdowns. Those pics are what my hair normally looks like, for years and years.

My wife said, "Grow it out during the covid thing. Let's see what happens!"

So what does it look like TODAY, just two weeks shy of a year later?

BEFORE:

top.jpg

back.jpg

AFTER:

hair.jpg

My wife loves it. I hate it.

Some may remember, on March 26, 2020 I posted pictures of the haircut I did on myself near the start of the pandemic lockdowns. Those pics are what my hair normally looks like, for years and years.

My wife said, "Grow it out during the covid thing. Let's see what happens!"

So what does it look like TODAY, just two weeks shy of a year later?

BEFORE:

View attachment 61024

View attachment 61025

AFTER:

View attachment 61026

My wife loves it. I hate it.
Pretty 😂 (It really doesn't matter to me, but it's fun to harass you :) )

Wow, Haertig!

Terri, I'm glad you all weren't badly hurt! Hope you are both resting today!

Sunday, was Sunday School and Church, then Kroger for local sales.
Came home and set up my vitamins for the month.

Today was doc appointment at 8 AM
H&R Block at 10 AM
Dropped off donations at thrift shop
Checked bread store, but none of my bread there.
Walked dogs.
Hard boiled some eggs.
Cooking some steak tenders and french fries.
Also, got info on probate (or in our case - Small estate affadavit) for brother's affairs.

We had to have our 13-year-old Chiweenie dog put down today. She was having a lot of back problems and she had Cushing's syndrome. The final problem was a bad knee. Not sure what she did to it but she was in a lot of pain and having a very hard time walking.
As hard as the decision was it was best for her to end her suffering.
My wife is taking it hard.

My brother's girl freind got her second vacine yesterday and it hit her hard. My brother stayed home to tend to her.

So I spent the day researching siding for the remodel project and sharpening knives and tools.

Also started to look into camp gear for the granddaughters.

Ben

We had to have our 13-year-old Chiweenie dog put down today. She was having a lot of back problems and she had Cushing's syndrome. The final problem was a bad knee. Not sure what she did to it but she was in a lot of pain and having a very hard time walking.
As hard as the decision was it was best for her to end her suffering.
My wife is taking it hard.
Sorry to hear BL - it's sure difficult once they have wormed their way into the family.

Heartig,
your hair grows slowly! mine has grown 4 or more inches in the last year. Mine grows fast, even faster than my wife's.

Are you losing it too fast? ;)

Excellent question!

Check that!

Ben
One of the problems with some types of antifreeze used at 100% is that they will foam in the cooling system which can lead to overheating. It's my guess that some of the foaming probably occurs in the water pump due to cavitation. If you live in areas of extreme cold, you really need to use a block heater or a automatic cooling system circulator heating system, probably wouldn't hurt to have a heating pad for under the battery to raise their efficiency, when I was in the Air Force, the generators we had for starting and repair work on aircraft all had battery heaters, where I was stationed it didn't get cold enough to have to use the heaters, however I'm sure they helped up in Alaska.

Are you losing it too fast? ;)
I can't lose it fast enough! I've got so much hair that I look like a rock band star from the 70's. The other day I was out walking and saw my shadow projected in front of me. My hair was out everywhere with the wind and the shadow looked like a pumpkin sitting on top of a pair of shoulders. Sheesh.

One of the problems with some types of antifreeze used at 100% is that they will foam in the cooling system which can lead to overheating. It's my guess that some of the foaming probably occurs in the water pump due to cavitation. If you live in areas of extreme cold, you really need to use a block heater or a automatic cooling system circulator heating system, probably wouldn't hurt to have a heating pad for under the battery to raise their efficiency, when I was in the Air Force, the generators we had for starting and repair work on aircraft all had battery heaters, where I was stationed it didn't get cold enough to have to use the heaters, however I'm sure they helped up in Alaska.
Agreed.

But in the context above I believe the antifreeze was used for over winter storage and not operation.

From your posts I suspect you span the gap between my father and myself. Do you remember Bomarc missile systems? He was a Ram engine tech.

Ben

Yesterday made a run to WM, on the way a squirrel followed closely by a crazed cat ran out in front of the car, just barely missed them but left skid marks in the process.... Picked up canned fruit and staples, we use a lot of Tylenol and it only has a 2 year shelf life, so it was on the list. Someone on the site last fall spoke of canned citrus, I have found it to be addictive, but it is something that is now on my list of staples for my food store. When I got home I discovered that the trunk would not close, the emergency release was pulled by my squirrel/cat event, and even after resetting the release the latch would not work, ordered a new one, at least now I have something to do on Thursday afternoon.....

I am in the process of surveying my yard for places where I can grow things, I have about 4 places that get a lot of shade, but I could put containers there, so I am trying to figure out what will grow best there. 2 or 3 more weeks and I can start moving plants out and the wife is past ready.

Many of my indoor plants and herbs are in bloom and the odor is super strong, my clothes pick up the smell and she can't stand it when I am near..... Then again it could just be me... never know... I do seem to rub some people the wrong way....

Everybody was everywhere doing different things yesterday so I don't know where the day went. I do know little granddaughter and I decided to play Bingo for Hershey Kisses while listening to old records. She liked the Dolly Parton "Jolene" album. So fun to sing to with a 9 yr old. Neighbors stopped in, and then a cousin stopped in, so didn't get around to dinner till pretty late. I have a chore list for the twins today, since they are home most of the day today (spring break). Husband and I need to take mom to her dentist appt, and whatever else errands she has.

Today is supposed to be rainy, so it will be laundry day.
Do video.
Will fry up some turkey sausage, bell peppers and onions to add to eggs for breakfasts.
Have to mail a package at the Post Office and then get my hair cut at 1 pm,
Walk dogs if we have a clear time in the day.
Have to start calling yard fellows as our guy stopped doing lawns.

Terri, glad you and kid aren't hurt.
Backlash sorry about your dog.
dademoss, congrats on the anniversary.
Haertig, kinda looks like my hair at the moment.
I'm still eating, sleeping.
Changed bandages this morning on arm.
Lady Locust, when I fell last year, I landed on my left shoulder,arm,wrist, hand.
Pinched nerve, home health nurse said I am doing well.
Took me a while to figure out how to re wrap arm beings I'm left handed
But finally got it figured out.
Worked on exercises for hand, forearm,elbow.
Home health nurse said I would probably end up with 3 inch scar.
Which isn't bad.
Maybe less than 3 inch scar from elbow to palm of hand.
Got to switch out small load of perm press laundry to dryer.
Sipping coffee.
Strawberry is snoring besides me.
Cooked up some goulash for lunch.
Taco burger soup for supper.
Changed all the clocks(what a pain in a***).
Everybody have nice day.

Last edited:
Terri, glad you and kid aren't hurt.
Backlash sorry about your dog.
dademoss, congrats on the anniversary.
Haertig, kinda looks like my hair at the moment.
I'm still eating, sleeping.
Changed bandages this morning on arm.
Lady Locust, when I fell last year, I landed on my left shoulder,arm,wrist, hand.
Pinched nerve, home health nurse said I am doing well.
Took me a while to figure out how to re wrap arm beings I'm left handed
But finally got it figured out.
Worked on exercises for hand, forearm,elbow.
Home health nurse said I would probably end up with 3 inch scar.
Which isn't bad.
Maybe less than 3 inch scar from elbow to palm of hand.
Got to switch out small load of perm press laundry to dryer.
Sipping coffee.
Strawberry is snoring besides me.
Cooked up some goulash for lunch.
Taco burger soup for supper.
Changed all the clocks(what a pain in a***).
Everybody have nice day.
Glad you are recovering well. I remember when you fell, didn't realize that's what the surgery was for.

Back