What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More work on replacing the fence today.

View attachment 67178

The gate posts are set and backed up by cables and turn buckles. My brother is making good use of the gas powered post hole digger. I noticed he refered to the process as "drilling a hole".

View attachment 67179

It was 87 degrees so I took extra breaks to stay hydrated. It was my job to remove the old fencing to make room for the new. It didn't take long until I encountered massive amounts of poison ivy. I dodged to a large extent but when I spotted a red streak that was starting to itch I ran home to wash it off before it took hold.

I am not real bad with poison ivy but if I am not careful The Princess will get from me and she is very sensitive to it. The last time I had a small patch on my wrist she ended up with a bad case and had spread it other students of Kung Fu via the blockers they use in class.

Tomorrow I am looking forward to some much needed rain so I will work on the duct work project. It is much more fun than 87 degrees and fence replacement.

Ben
When you know you've been in poison my dad swears by washing with bleach within 30 minutes. I have tried it a few times and had good luck. But sadly I get in the stuff so often I've built an immunity to the itch. I still get it and the little blisters that go with it but it just doesn't itch. THANK YOU LORD!

We're just chillin' at my place tonight. Daughter has her freshman finals this week so she's studying biology and geometry. I made a hash brown and ground beef dish for supper that turned out pretty average...I made my daughter get up off the couch to go out and look at the sunset for a few minutes. That's about all that's going on here tonight...

Have to drive to another town to sign papers tomorrow and Friday is closing (for place up the river/mountain). Also Fri. we have to get the UV installed on the water line. Then heading into a holiday weekend. I'm trying to get Hubby to go fishing - he needs to be out of cel. service for a while. He probably doesn't realize it, but I see it. Anyhoo, if I'm not on here much for a few days, I'm alright. It's all in God's hands. I'm just hoping He isn't getting ready for a taffy-pull ;)
If I don't hear from ya, have a super weekend! Stay out of trouble and if you can't stay out of trouble, don't get caught.

Have to drive to another town to sign papers tomorrow and Friday is closing (for place up the river/mountain). Also Fri. we have to get the UV installed on the water line. Then heading into a holiday weekend. I'm trying to get Hubby to go fishing - he needs to be out of cel. service for a while. He probably doesn't realize it, but I see it. Anyhoo, if I'm not on here much for a few days, I'm alright. It's all in God's hands. I'm just hoping He isn't getting ready for a taffy-pull ;)
If I don't hear from ya, have a super weekend! Stay out of trouble and if you can't stay out of trouble, don't get caught.
Catch a big one, LL!

I didn't do many productive things today. Daughter felt a bit better this morning, still has a stuffed up nose and sinuses but no fever, so I got her to school. Made some calls about some used trucks, but nothing jumped out at me as being exactly what I'm looking for. Made a late breakfast of eggs, sausage, and toast. Then went to the gym and probably lifted a little harder than I should have. Making chicken jambalaya for supper. (No, not from scratch. Canned chicken and store bought jambalaya mix. I am a bachelor, after all...😂)
Glad she better Spikedriver.

Have had zero motivation, work is wearing me down....finally got my new pc built and working. Doc appointment today...pre cancer stuff on my ear so getting something for that. Blood work done..I have Hashimotos/thyroid stuff.
Waiting on a "baja" blanket to make seat covers, need to order leather for a tote. The big project coming up is new wood flooring so hunting for good prices.
I have friday off so a short week!

Hope you feel better soon, Mo. That stinks to be sick.
I didn't get watermelon planted, but did get 18 butternut squash planted. Had to stake up some of my tomatoes, and I dug small water wells around the base of half of row. Will do more tomorrow.
Thank you Amish Heart.
Who would have thought a 3 years old "Cooties" would knock me for a loop like this.

All I got accomplished today is resurfacing the front porch and the two sets of steps on the side of the house and putting up two 10x10 sun shelters for the family gathering on Sunday. I used sand bags to hold them in place. I cleaned up the paint brush and stowed the varnish, sander and put away the cords and spare sand. Ten 50 pound bags of sand is a lot to move around for me. Then I came in, cleaned up and made chicken stir fry for the two of us. My lovely wife held the bags open while I poured the sand from the 50 pound bag. She adds a lot to the experience. ;)

Just moved the sprinkler for the last time tonight. It'll run until the pump runs out of gas. Ran for two and a half hours in the last spot and the ground is still hard. It's that dry here. Seems we never can get a happy medium with rain. Ten years of wet wet wet and now a drought it would appear.

This morning I was awakened by my alarm (that doesn't happen often), I was in the middle of a strong dream that shook me when I woke.
I was in a great crowd of people moving like a herd of cattle, the all clear had been given and everyone had disposed of their masks, we were safe and moving to a safer place.... Then you could hear people coughing in the distance, on the right and the left you could see people fall and be trampled by the herd, but we kept moving. I could not find a mask or any protection as the carnage approached....
Then the alarm went off.

I think I will have breakfast and water the garden...

We had some rain early today but all of the good rain has been skipping us today. There is some heavy stuff to the west now that hope delivers for us.

The rain is what drove me to work on the duct work project.

20210526_151202.jpg

I modified both ends to get them ready for installing but then spent good bit of time trying to figure how I will fill that gap between the two sections. Traditional connections would work if I could access the joint once it is in place. But that is not the case for me. I am leaning toward a tight sleeve that I can attach to the curved section to the left that will accept other duct being inserted from the other side of the wall.

Behave

Ben

One word, starts with DRY and ends with WALL.
Shoulders are getting tired, but at least they are not as sore as they were a few days ago. About 8 more sheets and we will be done with the tall stuff in the RV garage. For the rest of the ceilings we can switch back to the shorter drywall lift and will no longer need to climb up and down the scaffolding.

Finally felt better today to try real food.
Have kept it down.
Saw my dad for the first time in person in 6 weeks.
Either he was ill.
Or I was.
His house is for sale, only been on market 1 day.
It's been shown 5 times today.
He's looking for an apartment.
He's thinking about coming to my complex.
Who knows where he'll end up.
Probably not Texas though.
I will need to eat pretty soon, but don't know what.

Glad you're feeling better Mo.
My brother actually emptied one of the trash cans and put a new bag in (I asked him to do it yesterday but he forgot). Went to the post office and picked up food from in town-- small local business so we try to support them.
I was gone less than an hour but my cat Predicate missed me. Jumped up on my shoulder and wanted to be carried around. Climbed down a little to be held like a baby for awhile.
Didn't do anything else productive. I got some good sleep in though.

Glad you're feeling better Mo.
My brother actually emptied one of the trash cans and put a new bag in (I asked him to do it yesterday but he forgot). Went to the post office and picked up food from in town-- small local business so we try to support them.
I was gone less than an hour but my cat Predicate missed me. Jumped up on my shoulder and wanted to be carried around. Climbed down a little to be held like a baby for awhile.
Didn't do anything else productive. I got some good sleep in though.
Thank you zannej.

Got some more cameras put up. Never thought we’d see the day that I wouldn’t feel safe at my own home. These neighbors are unreal.
Headed out to the garden for a bit to try new earwig traps. Hopefully the catch a lot of them. Still trying to figure out why our tomatoes look so poor. Got a lot more weeding to get done. Temps are starting to heat up. Would like to be on top of everything during the heat.
RXR is diverting the main highway down our little country road. 24/7 it’s a freeway right now. Not sure why they would divert traffic down a well paved main road. Hope they get the crossing done before the weekend. Lots of animals hit so far.

Latest posts

Back