What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sister was supposed to stay 15 days.
She stayed 2 days.
It was just too much for her.
Blah!
Backpacker, so sorry about your fur baby.
Dad, my youngest sister and myself are going to look at an apartment for him tomorrow.
Then is supposed to go out to dinner with ex in laws, ex husband ,both sons. daughter in law and both grand daughters Thursday.Lost another 4 pounds this week.
Good luck on the apt. hunt Mo~

Well, the three that survived the first few days are doing good. One of the girls is still smaller than the others no matter how much extra care I give her but seems to be healthy. They are about six weeks old now, eating wet food well and playful. Darn cute, don't want to give any of them away but I can't have this many cats in my house. I may keep one of them though, we will see.

I0Yu2jB.jpg
I'm a sucker for fur babies. I would end up keeping all 3.
We are down to 1 dog and 1 cat and I'm trying to not take in anymore but I know I will sooner or later.
Maybe it's time for a big dog like a Greman Shepard.

I got the drip irrigation in the garden finished this morning, cleaned the stock water tank, filled in the hole I dug to replace the hydrant and now I'm sitting in the house with the AC running.
I had 2 showers and changed clothes twice before 11:30 AM because of excessive sweat.
I'm going to take another shower and go to bed.
This is the rest of the weeks temps.1624417216909.png

Last edited:
@Backpacker, I'm so sorry about your dog. I had a cat that got a brain tumor. Had to give her anti-seizure meds as well. She was only about 6yrs old and was such a sweetheart. It's so heartbreaking.

@Aerindel, those kittens are adorable. I've always kept the kitties because I couldn't part with them. But, I've got 30 acres for them to roam around on and they like playing down at the barn.

Yesterday early morning I deep cleaned the toilet. My brother had made a total mess of things and can't be bothered to even wipe the seat afterward. At least Mom appreciated it. Slept most of yesterday. Between the kidney stone, the heat, and the rain I was exhausted. Shoulder is still giving me trouble so I'm having difficulty sleeping well. Tossed and turned a lot.

Today I will probably go into town to get more food (brother ate all the lunch meat).

Temps have been getting up into the 90s on days it hasn't rained. Was in the high 80s yesterday during the rain.

Today is another day of death by PowerPoint.... current schedule is 10:00-19:00 because part of it is coming from the left coast. After the last one we will have a wrap-up discussion so I will be lucky if I can get to bed by 10PM.

It really throws off my schedule when I start late and end later.....

I am hoping by Friday I can get back to working outside. I checked the tomatoes this morning and I need to tie some of the plants up... But I am starting to see fruit ;). I don't know if I will have any that I can harvest by the 4th of July but I'm hoping.

The indoor garden area is almost clean, part of the supplies expanded to cover my exercise equipment and to be honest I really need to get back on them. I have gained just enough weight that my acid re-flux came back, I have found the at a specific weight it comes back and losing just 10 pounds will make it go away, if I lost 25 pounds I would feel much better......

I've got green tomatoes, too, but doubt by 4th of July that they'll be red. Around here, people want their sweet corn entirely ready by the 4th, and I thought that was supposed to be knee high by fourth of July. I will be lucky ours might be ankle high by then because we got it in late.
Visiting my favorite cousin in a little bit. Grandson is not working today, so I'll put him out to weeding. Need to get another cage wired for the meat chicks.

Wanta guess what I'm doing today.View attachment 68478

I had a 10:30 appointment ...still waiting for the doctor.

Jim
Jim, you be good and make Dr. give you a perfect bill of health! If Dr. doesn't do as I say, tell him/her there is someone who will not be thinking very kindly of him/her. Ha! 💖

Wanta guess what I'm doing today.View attachment 68478

I had a 10:30 appointment ...still waiting for the doctor.

Jim

That sucks, my appt was for 10:30, checkin at 10:!5, finished the one page questionnaire, got called back, done at 10:30.

Todays goal was to visit The Ridge and

Identify which fruit trees should be replaced

Plant some more Egyptian walking onions

20210623_132228.jpg

I had not found time to visit The Ridge being busy with other projects. It has been slipping back into nature and I am going to have take some action before it gets worse.

20210623_140001.jpg

I may get a weed whacker up there tomorrow.

I did examine the fruit trees and marked 6 hat are goners with yellow caution tape so they will easy to find in December.

I was surprised to find the walking onions I put in last year were as well as they were. They started to walk out of the heugelculture and down the hill. I was pleased that they holding heir own against the weeds.

20210623_162646.jpg

The next surprise was I had failed to put the bulbiles I had intended to plant were not in my backpack. Another thing I will have to do tomorrow.

I love that place!

Ben

@Aerindel, those kittens are adorable. I've always kept the kitties because I couldn't part with them. But, I've got 30 acres for them to roam around on and they like playing down at the barn.

I've got enough land for hundreds of cats. But I'm too paranoid about losing them to predators to give them that much outside access. The 'old' cat gets let outside during the day and brought inside every day in the evening. The 'new' cat hasn't been outside since I pulled her out of the engine of the car I found her in. I want to start introducing her to the outside (here) and teaching here the drill but going to wait until the kittens are weaned and she is spayed.

Last night I started cleaning up my electronics station. The area is easy to dust but a pain to clean well. It consists of 3 solid oak end tables by my recliner. A few times a year they get cleaned then wiped down with lemon oil. Everything has to be moved off them, then returned and 30+ cables reconnected.

What’s on them? my desktop computer, monitor, printer, speakers, emergency radio, land line phone, smart phone charger, satellite receiver, router, cabling for everything included hook-ups for my laptop computer and both cameras.

The electricity was off 5 hours this afternoon so perfect time to clean all this carp. The cables are a pain. A professionally dressed cable run (bundle) takes time and thought. I use white tie wraps for power cables and black tie wraps for data cables. Every cable gets a service loop, the bundles are layered according to connection points and supported so there is no strain on any connection. It looks nice and tidy but more importantly it’s highly functional.

Sometimes friends or family bring me their computers to repair etc. I can sit their tower right beside mine, swap the cables directly over in a few seconds and get to work, or hook up their laptop/monitor/printer. I can easily test every function of every component. When I first got disabled, I worked on pc’s for extra cash. Now I do it as a favor from time to time.

Anyway, just watching the tv tonight.

Last edited:
I went to the grocery store and picked up a bunch of stuff. Bought fried chicken from a local place to give them some business. Their prices went up again, but it's understandable.
I was putting something in the CR-V when I spotted two little frogs about the size of my thumbnail. They were hopping around in the grass. Saw a 3rd one closer to the porch and was ecstatic. There used to be hundreds of them all over the yard when I was a kid but I hadn't seen any of them in decades. I thought they had all died out. But they are back and it made me so happy to see them. I was such a dope saying "Froggy! Ooh, another froggy! FROGGIES!!!" LOL.
I've been watching spoilers about the Loki series and I really wish I could stream stuff and watch the series. I wish they would put it on DVD at some point because it looks good.
I woke up after midnight and was hungry and I'm still awake. About to get some sleep if I can.

Today, the wife and I will be making our lists for tomorrow's shopping runs. I go once a week if I need it or not (cause I'm a fresh fruit-aholic), we each make a list and then I combine them on Thursday night. I usually am at the grocery store at 06:00 as the open the doors and am home before 07:00 unless I have to stop at WalM on the way home (they don't open till 07:00, :( ). Back when the WalM was open all night I would visit them first and I actually liked that better.

Good morning, HCL! It's 0820 on a Thursday, and I ain't doin' nothing! It's my days off from work and it has been raining all night (thank God! We're in a bad drought so we need it.) If the weather clears up, I'm taking the kid for a bike ride. If it doesn't, we'll...do something else. No big plans, no hurry, no stress today. Life is good. I'm off to go get some coffee now. Have a great day, everybody!

Good morning, HCL! It's 0820 on a Thursday, and I ain't doin' nothing! It's my days off from work and it has been raining all night (thank God! We're in a bad drought so we need it.) If the weather clears up, I'm taking the kid for a bike ride. If it doesn't, we'll...do something else. No big plans, no hurry, no stress today. Life is good. I'm off to go get some coffee now. Have a great day, everybody!

A man living the dream. 😎

Jim

Walked first at 8:15. It's getting to hot and humid to wait that late to walk.
Fed dogs.
Cooked bell peppers, onions, jalapenos and turkey sausage for future breakfasts.
Made lots of Squash soup! Still cooking. Going to PC some of it and maybe freeze a little. Squash was free, carrots and sweet potatoes canned previously and butternut squash was frozen.
Still need to dust house and that may be it.

Dropped my jeep off at mechanic's with a new fuel pump and filter to get replaced. Hopefully I will have my jeep back soon!

I'm doing as little as possible. Too hot to be outside.
I had my coffee, checked the garden to make sure the automatic drip irrigation came on and did a headcount to make sure my herd was all there. All 3 present and accounted for so I'm good. :)
I also turned on a sprinkle set so the calves can get in it if they want.

Today hubby and I went swimming at the local public pool. Did some water walking for exercise. We had a great time. I also enjoy watching the day care kids enjoy themselves in the pool. And the teenagers ‘flirting’ by throwing their ‘boyfriends’/‘girlfriends’ in. Also the grandparents with their grandchildren. I remember those days.

Last edited:
I taught Roo how to stain treat her clothing using baking soda, dawn and hydrogen peroxide. I treated K and Juju's clothes while Roo did her own. It peeved her off when we were packing her suitcase last week and ALL of her clothes were stained badly. She had 2 shirts she could pack and had to do laundry at my folks' house. Serves her right for half-assing a job.

I decided to do a Disney purge in the playroom. While I would normally stand by Disney because I am an alum and loved working for them but all the 'woke' BS is driving me nuts and it is time to take a stand. I figure this will be an excuse to count down the number of excessive toys the girls have and make cleaning and packing the playroom easier over all.

I taught Roo how to stain treat her clothing using baking soda, dawn and hydrogen peroxide. I treated K and Juju's clothes while Roo did her own. It peeved her off when we were packing her suitcase last week and ALL of her clothes were stained badly. She had 2 shirts she could pack and had to do laundry at my folks' house. Serves her right for half-assing a job.

I decided to do a Disney purge in the playroom. While I would normally stand by Disney because I am an alum and loved working for them but all the 'woke' BS is driving me nuts and it is time to take a stand. I figure this will be an excuse to count down the number of excessive toys the girls have and make cleaning and packing the playroom easier over all.
My sister in law was a cast member when she worked the Disney store. That job would have driven me crazy with all of the rules stapler goes here...

It was another working on The Ridge this time weed whacking and planting the walking onions.

Before

20210623_140001.jpg

After

20210624_152357.jpg

I siill have lot to whack but I am not sure if The Princess will approve of 3 days in a row. She knows I enjoy it too much.

;)

As I was whacking I was continually notice beauty and the beast. A lot of wild strawberries and poison ivy. The strawberries were good and I went easy around them. The poison ivy got whacked good. The PI is one of my motivators for doing the whacking. Not to kill it rather to be able to find it. Three foot tall weeds made it hard to find the PI. Now The Princess can find and destroy it.

20210624_155614.jpg

I planted the walking onions to fill in the blanks in the raised bed.

20210624_155545.jpg

I did earn a new medal when I kicked up a store that busted open my nose. I used the sweat band I was wearing to stop the blood. I will be asking The Princess not to try and remove the blood stain because it would be cool to wear it complete with the stain. Kamikaze of weed whacking.

I stripped down and took a shower as soon as I got home. The PI juices had to be everywhere.

Living the life

We are blessed!

Ben

Go ahead, just try to find some for me - lense width: 60 mm or 61 mm.
The eye-doctor place had hundreds of the very best frames on every wall.
I had TWO, (2) frames to choose from. :(
...And if everybody thinks I'm crazy, both of these guys are wearing glasses with 60mm lenses:
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/shooting-this-week-in-olde-town-arvada-colorado.13160/post-368237
It's not a fashion statement.
It's about seeing the whole world without constantly spinning your head around.

Latest posts

Back