What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take it east Jim. Don't wait too long to get checked out.

I planted 3 tomatos and a bell pepper. I realized all my tomatos planted early this year were determinate types and when they ripen would be done. I put out 3 nice inderterminate type for a harvest for the rest of the season.
This afternoon it's started raining some

Watered the catnip plant, dumped the chicken water bowl full of tadpoles into the garden pond. What would possess a frog to lay eggs in a water bowl :p. Filled the bird feeders, fed the ancient cluckers. To icky to play outside.
Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 2.49.39 PM.png

Last edited:
@Jay I am lacking motivation too. Tired. It is 91°. My outside plants (still in pots)were unintentionally neglected (by me) and most have died, I bought more. Too much sun, too much heat. Changed my work schedule, have more hours. Today? I should clean and do school stuff....thinking about taking a trip.

We got 4 bricks at Smoke's Stove for over $4 each and 10 from Willamette Stone at $2.28 each, I went to Willamette because the salesman at Smoke's told me that they were short on bricks. Smoke's bricks are very porous and gray, like cinder blocks, Willamette bricks are solid and kind of an amber color like firebricks I'm used to seeing. I cleaned out the fire box yesterday and found that only two bricks were broken, but it's always good to have some on hand, who knows if they will be available in the times ahead?

Started cutting firewood for the winter today until I got rained out. I have a hydraulic wood spitter but I really like the Fiskar spitting axe for red oak. My wife bought me a Logrite can’t hook a few years back that really makes the job go easier.

View attachment 68674View attachment 68675
Aren't cant hooks also called "log dogs?"

@Jay I am lacking motivation too. Tired. It is 91°. My outside plants (still in pots)were unintentionally neglected (by me) and most have died, I bought more. Too much sun, too much heat. Changed my work schedule, have more hours. Today? I should clean and do school stuff....thinking about taking a trip.
Where too 😁

Dang , I just can't get to feeling good. My pulse rate is too low, 40 to 48 bpm.

Been down for about 4 days.
Calling my cardiologist tomorrow.

Wife wants to go to church, so I'll guess I'll drag my butt along.

Then rest.

Jim
🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏

Dang , I just can't get to feeling good. My pulse rate is too low, 40 to 48 bpm.

Then rest.

Jim

Your starting to sound like the kid.....😟

skc.png

Clear
109°F
43°C
Humidity8%
Wind SpeedE 13 MPH
Barometer29.87 in (1011.51 mb)
Dewpoint37°F (3°C)
Visibility10.00 mi
Heat Index103°F (39°C)
Last update27 Jun 03:20 PM PDT

We just returned from down town. Thermometers read between 109-115 depending. Any of those numbers are not fun.

Today was a range day, we had a good crowd but no one was willing to shoot much and we were done by noon. Came back and started cleaning the food storage shelves again, I found something and I thought we were low but within 10 minutes if found the same thing in 3 locations after consolidating I found we had just what we needed.

Took a break and started watching War Games, it was funny to see them using tape and 8" Floppy disks... we have come so far, young people have no idea of how difficult it was to program in FORTRAN using card decks, or what it was like to spill your deck...... Things really have changed a lot...

Jim, I hope you get feeling better soon.

Mo, congratulations to your son. I also hate shopping for clothes. I despise women's dress shoes. Never fit comfortably and I care more about comfort than looks.

The heat really gets to me. I went into town and hung out with my friend. Watched Avengers Endgame and then an episode of Loki. Had to leave before watching another episode since we had to get to the pharmacy before closing. Right after we got out of the store and started the truck, my mother called and said she wanted bread- only they were out of the kind she likes. I had to go back into the store and get another brand that she's tried before and didn't claim to hate. We'll see if she complains about it or not.

It started raining but it was still hot. I'm about to take a nap.

This morning my church had a farewell service for our pastor and his wife. He is the only pastor our church has ever had and we gave thanks an appreciation for all the years of excellent service he has given. I am sad to see them leave, but wish them well.

This afternoon my daughter and I played some dominos and then went out to the lake to go swimming for a while. We had tacos for supper, now we're watching reruns of CSI: Miami.

I'm looking at a new Toyota Tacoma. Gonna make a call on it when the dealership opens tomorrow. Not thrilled with the idea of borrowing ten grand to buy it, but it has exactly the features I'm looking for and the price isn't out of line...

Moved to a hot country work schedule yesterday. I have a lot of work to do outside and we are hitting over 100°; not normal for here. The good news is that it cools down at night. So, I get up and do outside work from 5 am -
10 am. Head inside for breaky, a siesta, house stuff, another siesta? and then work out side again from 6 pm-10 pm followed by another sleep cycle.

Another plus for the old school. It stays cool. Haven't even broke out a fan yet.

Thats what we call it here. We use a cant hook and a pickeroon for handling logs and the hold down thingy is the dog.
Dog it down
Okay, I've heard of a pickeroon but have no idea~ Now I have to do some research to get these things all labeled right in my head 🤪 I actually love old tools so like learning about them. Sometimes the slang or common names get me mixed up. So we have an old cant hook. I will look up images of dogs and pickeroons. Thanks!!!

Okay, I've heard of a pickeroon but have no idea~ Now I have to do some research to get these things all labeled right in my head 🤪 I actually love old tools so like learning about them. Sometimes the slang or common names get me mixed up. So we have an old cant hook. I will look up images of dogs and pickeroons. Thanks!!!
1624850255902.png
1624850274872.png
1624850328268.png

Well, I was all "fugernuggered"! First two pix log-dogs and third a pickeroon. Not sure if we have any of these but will look. If I find things like this cheap at estate sales, I pick them up. Recently got an interesting looking weed-picker that works great for those stickery weeds! Had to replace the handle but metal part was good. They used to make tools that actually worked. Think that's what I like.

Sunflower Festival was a gift from my children for Fathers day.
Two up & two hours back, but it was fun, old car, two old tractors One was a 35 Ferguson.
This Farmer turned his land into event venue, next week he will plow under 10 acres of Sunflowers & plant corn for the Fall corn maze.

Then rest.

Jim
My MIL had a slow heartbeat. They sent her home with a 'flight-data-recorder" and during the night, it was getting down to 30. For everybody else, this means one beat every full 2 seconds: "beat, Mississippi, Mississippi, beat" :oops:
They put a pacemaker in her and it very rarely has to fire.
She did say that one night she was awakened with a musical ping sound. ~ding,,,,~ding. I knew exactly what that was.
The good news is, they can connect wirelessly to it and retrieve all of your info for months and know everything.

The only bad news: when her time comes, someone will have to turn it off because IT WILL NEVER let her pulse rate drop below 35.:eek:

Back