What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was supposed to go pick up prescriptions today but woke up too late to make it before the pharmacy closes. They drastically reduced their hours.

Last night when I was trying to get ready for bed I heard the pump running in the well house. Wen out and the float lever was jammed down so the cistern was overflowing. The mount for the D-switch has shifted. I need a better setup. Researching how to do that. But still feeling exhausted.

Had planned to go out tonight to dark sky for stargazing. Looks too cloudy.
Still need to get some red covering for flashlight.
Telescope isn't worth a darn. @kd4ulw my kids told me my husband had started "doing stuff" with lenses, magnifiers, and mirrors so he could set up a home made telescope (unbeknownst to moi). So I guess that's what happened to my crappy little expensive camera shoppe telescope!
Y'all, follow your interests. Don't wait. I told him to do whatever he wanted, learn stuff, work on stuff. And he plunged into a few different things that I wasn't even aware of.
What else? Worked today. Tomorrow church and getting one of the little grands up here for an overnighter tomorrow night. I don't know how to do this!

Watching Grim with the kid. She's being a bit clingy today. Its understandable but she was easier to cuddle with 18yrs ago.:huggs:
I still remember probably the last time my son was in my lap for a hug. (He's 21 now) I used to tell my kids they were "cute and fluffy." Anyways, he was in my lap, probably about 10years old. We were laughing being silly, and I was telling him how he was so snuggly and I would cuddle him up like this 😂 He was crumpled up in a little ball in my lap and I told him he was still too big. He would say wait, need air, then try to be smaller. So I say go ahead and let her sit in your lap and feel as small as she needs to to get through this. They are never too big for a hug.

My sister still crawled between my parents in the bed to cuddle them when she was 30. LOL.

I'm trying to get my cat Senator Snugglebum to hold still because has a swollen lump on the base of his tail. Almost looks like another testicle but I can see some scabs. I put hydrogen peroxide on the scabs but he wouldn't hold still so I couldn't get it soak in and let whatever fluid is built up out.

Got all the electric fence, post, and ground rod taken down and put up. Still too wet to dig the taters, but I mowed the weeds off to expose the area to the suna nd wind. May be able to dig them Monday. Mowed part of the year and some of the lower garden spaces. Picked a bunch of Japleno, bell, and banana peppers. Also got some small onions from my tomato bed. Forgot I put them there. Also got a couple more tomatos and a cuke.
Here is a couple pics

9-4 harvest.jpg

Lemon Balm.jpg

Question for the herbalist on here. What is the best way to perserve Lemon Balm? What all are good uses for it? I've never grew it before and it has went nuts. Took over nearly 1/2 of the bed and draping over the sides. I've gotta bunch.

I still remember probably the last time my son was in my lap for a hug. (He's 21 now) I used to tell my kids they were "cute and fluffy." Anyways, he was in my lap, probably about 10years old. We were laughing being silly, and I was telling him how he was so snuggly and I would cuddle him up like this 😂 He was crumpled up in a little ball in my lap and I told him he was still too big. He would say wait, need air, then try to be smaller. So I say go ahead and let her sit in your lap and feel as small as she needs to to get through this. They are never too big for a hug.

She's 20 and taller than me. Maybe I should sit in her lap.😂

Our planned canning event is done, we went to church this morning, all that is left is cleaning up in the kitchen and then I can work outside for a while... It is shaping up to be a nice day.....
@UrbanHunter, glad to hear your big canning project is finished! You and the Mrs. can enjoy a change of scenery, so to speak.

Spent all day yesterday trying to move a whole lotta dirt and grade it with a tractor. It's all the dirt from excavating for our basement. Our house sits up higher than I envisioned (on a slope with a walk-out basement), so I'm trying to build up and grade the dirt in such a way that that it looks like the house is built on a high piece of land overlooking the valley (which fits in with neighboring topography). But I'm such a rookie. Someone else would be much faster and do a better job.

Today it's raining. So even though all I can think about is dirt (and moving it), I will spend the day working in the basement, purging things. I just have this feeling that we need to get light with our belongings, to simplify things. And get ready for.... whatever is coming.

Last edited:
@UrbanHunter, glad to hear your big canning project is finished! You and the Mrs. can enjoy a change of scenery, so to speak.

Spent all day yesterday trying to move a whole lotta dirt and grade it with a tractor. It's all the dirt from excavating for our basement. Our house sits up higher than I envisioned (on a slope with a walk-out basement), so I'm trying to build up and grade the dirt in such a way that that it looks like the house is built on a high piece of land overlooking the valley (which fits in with neighboring topography). But I'm such a rookie. Someone else would be much faster and do a better job.

Today it's raining. So even though all I can think about is dirt (and moving it), I will spend the day working in the basement, purging things. I just have this feeling that we need to get light with our belongings, to simplify things. And get ready for.... whatever is coming.
Re dirt...

I spent the day trying to clear the french drain pipe AGAIN!

I decided I should try and find the outlet so that I can snake the line from the bottom. I had installed that drain 35 years ago. Then the yard was regraded and then latter a walk way was put in.

Somewhere along the time line the neighbor complained that the water from that drain was causing ice build up on the street. I also have a vague memory od seeing a small ground hog run into the pipe. But where?

I filled a gorilla cart 4 times while digging around looking for the pipe. While doing so I uncovered the bottom of the walkway which ha been abandoned for about 10 years. The Princess saw it and declared it would be nice to recover same. So when I finish the drain pipe project I can do another digging project.

Today will be a lazy day and watching the rain roll through. Tomorrow I will be running the shovel and cut through roots. From what I can guess the clog may be 3 feet below the grade of the yard. And then there will be all of that concrete I used as fill after digging out our basement.

If I am going to be doing that much work I may as well make it better!

Behave

Ben

Re dirt...

I spent the day trying to clear the french drain pipe AGAIN!

I decided I should try and find the outlet so that I can snake the line from the bottom. I had installed that drain 35 years ago. Then the yard was regraded and then latter a walk way was put in.

Somewhere along the time line the neighbor complained that the water from that drain was causing ice build up on the street. I also have a vague memory od seeing a small ground hog run into the pipe. But where?

I filled a gorilla cart 4 times while digging around looking for the pipe. While doing so I uncovered the bottom of the walkway which ha been abandoned for about 10 years. The Princess saw it and declared it would be nice to recover same. So when I finish the drain pipe project I can do another digging project.

Today will be a lazy day and watching the rain roll through. Tomorrow I will be running the shovel and cut through roots. From what I can guess the clog may be 3 feet below the grade of the yard. And then there will be all of that concrete I used as fill after digging out our basement.

If I am going to be doing that much work I may as well make it better!

Behave

Ben
Santa just might have to bring you a new shovel for Christmas 🎄 Sounds like this one will be worn clear down to the handle.
Went to Sunday School and Church, then walked dogs.
Having leftover meatloaf sandwich for dinner.
Watching movies with DH rest of the day!
Meatloaf sounds good!

We still/again have smokey air. Went from moderate to unhealthy through the night. When I woke up I sounded like a lifetime smoker 😖

Got all the electric fence, post, and ground rod taken down and put up. Still too wet to dig the taters, but I mowed the weeds off to expose the area to the suna nd wind. May be able to dig them Monday. Mowed part of the year and some of the lower garden spaces. Picked a bunch of Japleno, bell, and banana peppers. Also got some small onions from my tomato bed. Forgot I put them there. Also got a couple more tomatos and a cuke.
Here is a couple pics

View attachment 71830

View attachment 71831

Question for the herbalist on here. What is the best way to perserve Lemon Balm? What all are good uses for it? I've never grew it before and it has went nuts. Took over nearly 1/2 of the bed and draping over the sides. I've gotta bunch.
I would just do like I do with most herbs and hang some in bunches to dry. Others might have better ideas.

I had a headache most of the day yesterday and felt tired. No headache today but still feel tired. I've been forgetting to take my vitamins and I think that is part of the problem. I forgot my medicine a couple days too so that didn't help. Ran out of my levothyroxin & when I refilled the pharmacy substituted a generic that isn't as effective.

Went shopping at the local "club". Then to a different store for meats and other basics that are higher quality but often cheaper. Went to a WM in the opposite direction for a few things. Wow, has it been a long time since I have been in one of those stores. Lots of stuff missing and bare shelves but well stocked in certain areas. People just as stupid as ever in this location.

Returned home, broke down the bulk into usable amounts and stored / froze everything. Local club is limiting to 1 paper towel and 1 tp pack and I joked about the last tp apocalypse with the wife. Yeah, predictable outcome for fall in my mind. Lots more people back to wearing masks and such but no "mandates" yet. We were unsure when we arrived but decided we would forgo entering and patronizing the location if it was a requirement. This trip we were good.

Something is afoot. Many see it and feel it. What "it" is seems to be a subject of conversation but with no real answers. Time will tell. Thats about it other than planning out and cooking the weeks meals ahead of time.

I had to go to town yesterday. On the way home, I noticed directional signs had been nailed to trees for a wedding that turned out to be past my place. They provided me with entertainment for the hour drive home.

#####wedding》
Turn onto this dirt road, not the other one.
No, you are not lost
Keep going
Almost there
We lied, keep going
Don't stop to pee here, it's a bear crossing
Keep going some more
You are still not lost and neither are the cows on the road ahead
Half way to almost there
10 more km
《 #####wedding 3 km

Hubby just came home from hunting a day early. He said the chance of them heading back to where they could hunt after this morning were pretty slim so he and Pa packed up. They were ready for a real shower and bed. 😊 I wasn't planning on cooking this evening 🤪 Oh well.
I got lots done in the yard/garden today. Pulled tons of weeds and cleaned up the kale like AmishHeart said - only didn't completely strip leaves. I left the tops. I also pruned the broccoli way back. It looks like it's trying to get new fleurettes so we'll see.

Plugging along.
Feeling ok, just weak and get winded quickly.
Will be moving a bunch today, gonna have some help.
Got all the nails pulled from quarter round and put in place for tacking down upstairs.

Waiting for SIL and grandson to show up to help.
Closing on the farmhouse Friday.

God just keeps blessing me with ability to keep going.

Jim

Got home late last evening from a weekend competition. Got the RV unloaded, took a long hot shower and fixed me a late night meal before heading to bed.

Today I've got firearms to clean, spent brass to tumble clean and get the rest put away in their proper places. Sneak a nap in before suppertime.

Plugging along.
Feeling ok, just weak and get winded quickly.
Will be moving a bunch today, gonna have some help.
Got all the nails pulled from quarter round and put in place for tacking down upstairs.

Waiting for SIL and grandson to show up to help.
Closing on the farmhouse Friday.

God just keeps blessing me with ability to keep going.

Jim
How exciting!!

Today, I have finished the dishes, we are done with this weeks canning, I need to make space of 7 more flats of stuff...
I am on my last load of laundry for the day.
I did some grocery shopping this morning... They are out of my soda, now I'm going to PANIC!
I plan to spend the rest of the day split between working outside around the garden and watching the TV - I have a movie started (Armageddon) and might finish it today.....

This evening I plan to put away food stuffs and put a new needle in the wife's sewing machine....

Walked first (2/3 way) and got DH to come rescue me from rain and lightning.
Fed dogs.
Getting ready to start laundry.
Will walk dogs and grill burgers and hot dogs on grill, (should be a break in storms between 12 and about 4 today), feed neighbor.
Take it easy rest of day.

Back on shovel time today. At the start the excavation looked like this. The old stairs are foibg up to the right.

20210906_142201_HDR.jpg

After digging around filling 5 gorilla carts ....

I FOUND IT!

20210906_162941_HDR.jpg

It had been under one of the stepping stones and used to discharge on to the street. It turns out The Princess was correct in wondering if the repaving of the road being suspect.

20210906_162955_HDR.jpg

The berm of the road is above the discharge of the pipe. Sediment from the storm drain had filled the depression between the pipe and the berm. I had been fooled into thinking the pipe could not have been that deep. The view of the dif from above now looks like this.

20210906_165349_HDR.jpg

I still have some more digging ahead of me but first I will run the hydro snake up from the street to try and clear the line or figure out where there may be root blockage.

I am a happy camper!

Ben

Good job, @Neb !!
@snappy1 A couple of weeks ago I had to run out to pick up 2 family members who decided to take a nice walk in the rain, without umbrellas. It got pretty bad, pretty fast, I'm glad your hubs was around to rescue you. These 2 took refuge under someone's overhang, the streets were running 5-6" along the sides and still a bit too fast and deep in the middle, plus close lightning. It is nothing to fool around with.
Took little one back home and I think we're both game for hanging together again soon.
@Cascadian that sounds cool. Any photos?
I am so done with the heat and humidity. @phideaux I hope you put up your feet hours ago and are letting everyone else except Mrs p take care of stuff. I don't know why I am still here in TX except the fact my family is here.
@ClemKadiddlehopper nice to hear people are still getting married

Today, I did a little in the garden. I also got a hand me down wheel barrow, but the tire is completely off the rim.....

I made a portable frame to support 2 solar panels, They drop in similar to house sliding windows where the top opening is deeper than the lower so slide them up and in then drop them down and they lock in place. When I was finished I attached it to a picnic table, I actually placed the panels into the frame after dark, connected them to the charge controller and made the connection to a battery. The battery is old and has been sitting for a while and it is deeply discharged, I'm hoping to see how it does tomorrow when the sun comes up. The frames were made with old wood (2X4s, 2X3, and 1X6 or 8) anyway they are light enough for 1 person to carry and they can easily be clamped in place on my raised bed frames. Considering it was my first run at it I was happy with the result...

I am not happy that I let a battery get into such poor shape....

Latest posts

Back