What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drove my daughter up to the high school this morning. (You know, because 6/10ths of a mile is soooo far to walk...🙄). It's a beautiful morning so I spent a half hour going out to the lake to take pictures. I normally wouldn't do that, but the Good Lord outdid Himself today...
20211015_083444.jpg
20211015_083434.jpg
20211015_082741.jpg
20211015_082655.jpg

There's something about days like today, when the air is still and cold, that makes a person feel alive...

Beautiful photos, Spikedriver!

I'm so glad you all are well, Sewing Creations! Still doing any eBay?

I've already walked and getting ready to walk dogs.
Will water rose garden.
Call about streetlight out (again).
Get tote of jeans that were too small into bedroom. The ones I'm wearing are falling off. 8 pounds from my final goal of 135! Yay!!!

My brother and were back at the rental property him finishing up spackling, 1/4 round for the AC and touch up paint. I focused on power washing the exterior.

20211015_153629_HDR.jpg

20211015_153713_HDR.jpg

20211015_153755_HDR.jpg

Including the brick walk I expanded 2 years ago.

20211015_153839_HDR.jpg

We have a potential renter lined up if she can pass the credit check. She is anxious to get moved in as is The Princess to see the monthly rent checks.

Tomorrow I will be cleaning up the construction debris to button things up.

Behave

Ben

My brother and were back at the rental property him finishing up spackling, 1/4 round for the AC and touch up paint. I focused on power washing the exterior.

View attachment 73797

View attachment 73798

View attachment 73799

Including the brick walk I expanded 2 years ago.

View attachment 73800

We have a potential renter lined up if she can pass the credit check. She is anxious to get moved in as is The Princess to see the monthly rent checks.

Tomorrow I will be cleaning up the construction debris to button things up.

Behave

Ben
I dig that place, Ben. I would live there! Is it hard to keep that flat roof from leaking?

Isn't it amazing , that I been trying for 2 months to get things done ....and.... they're all showing up today . Uuugghh.

First ..8 15 am , Direct TV tech shows up to install satellite system.
Next Plumbers finally show up ( suppose to showed Monday). Spent 3 hours rodding roots out of septic line.
Next painter and remodeling guys show up out of clear blue ( suppose be next week) to look over the shed to paint and bathroom to gut and remodel.
Next I'm sitting in LR resting and my garage shows up on 2 trucks. Watched them unload all of it in the rain.

Also been on phone every hour trying to get my storage shed delivered...now it's tomorrow.

All this in the rain.

Tell me God ain't watching over us.

jim

I dig that place, Ben. I would live there! Is it hard to keep that flat roof from leaking?
Good question!

We managed to get purchase price greatly reduced because it had been covered with rolled roofing and had lots of carpenter ant damage. This video shows the structural repairs we did to get it ready for a rubber roof.

This video shows the end of the rubber roof project.

We installed it by the book and didn't skimp. No leaks and no problems!

Be aware that rubber roofing is heavy! We benefited by the roof being at ground level on two sides of the house.

Ben

Yesterday, I did another harvest of egg plant, tomatoes and peppers, got the tomatoes strained and simmering over night, I will be canning them today. We are still trying to figure out what to do with 5 gallons of mixed peppers. Today, I will start powering the indoor growing station off the battery box. I think I need to harvest the last of the green beans today and pull the okra plants.

Well you can chop and freeze the peppers, chop and dehydrate and powder them, pickle them, or chop and pressure can them. I dehydrate lots of ours that we don't use fresh. Finished harvesting the sweet potatoes yesterday, and went into town and filled all the diesel and gas cans. The chimney sweep guy came and cleaned out the wood burning stove and piping so we're good to go.
Have the pumpkin activities for little granddaughter this morning at the High School. Twins are in marching band competition and will be gone all day and home later tonight. Husband is taking my cousin Harry to pickup wheat seed that he wants in a small town an hour and a half away. Normally Harry's son does the truck driving (Harry's amish) but his wife just had twins (again) and they are in the hospital. I'm not sure why Harry is not getting wheat seed here, but I'm sure he will talk my husband's ear off and they will have a great time. Harry figured out exactly what our truck can haul weight wise with two passengers, which did not surprise me at all. So that's what they'll be hauling. Little granddaughter and I will be entertaining ourselves. Probably visit my favorite cousin, and maybe check out the thrift store.

Off day today.
Going to big town to buy a new vanity, toilet. And electrical wiring for #2 bathroom remodel next week.

Need a new microwave also.

My goodness , the price of electric wire.OMG.

May have lunch at Longhorn.😁

Gonna stop by Storage shed lot and tell them , if it ain't delivered Monday , I'm canceling. I'm a patient man , but....
Nice guys finish last.

Watching Tombstone Territory .... finally.

Jim

I agree, Jim. Sometimes, you have to say enough is enough!

Walked first, this morning. First cool day! 57 this morning and up to 70 today!
Have cauliflower (potato) salad prepped.
Will be grilling out this afternoon.
Next I will kill ants and sweep up glass where some nimrod broke a bottle on the road in front of house.
Pull out my electric blanket so I can sleep with the window open and still be warm! Yay!
Water roses. Nice day!

Felt lousy Thursday evening, hopefully the last of the appendix infection leftovers leaving my body. I had about 7 days of feeling well in a row so maybe a crudy day was due. Didn't sleep much at all Thursday night so took a nap yesterday afternoon from 5 to 7, woke up for dinner then back to bed by 8 and slept till 2am, then lied in bed awake until about 6am and slept again from 6 to 10:30am. Thankfully feeling better today.
May set the master bath tub in place, may stack the firewood that was delivered Tuesday, may tape some drywall seems. Time will tell.

Have a great day everyone. Either stay out of trouble, or don't get caught.

Ben, I say stainless is better since it reflects more light & brightens stuff up more. Plus, it does seem to be popular. Many appliances are only available in stainless these days.

I've never seen a house with a roof like that before.

Sewing, it's so good to hear from you again. Glad your husband is doing better. I hope he will stay clear of aneurisms in the future.

Mo, sounds like a busy day- and very sweet of you to drive people places.

Jim, the price of so many things have gone up astronomically. I would be losing my mind if people showed up on the wrong days. I've had it happen before & it was aggravating, but if they all showed up the same day I would be incredibly frustrated. I hate when people are late but early can be just as bad if you're not ready for them.

Inresponse, I hope you're feeling better now.

I got my mom to get out of the house for a bit yesterday. She needed to handle something at the local bank, then we went over to my friend's house so she could play with his baby. Baby's mother is still not the brightest bulb. She was trying to feed the baby macncheese & I could see that the spoonfull she had was still steaming hot. Mom and I both told her it was too hot-- still steaming. She ignored us, didn't even bother to blow on it to cool it, shoved it in the baby's mouth & the baby started screaming and spat it out. He was afraid to take anything off the spoon after that. She cooled a piece off and put it on her hand and every time he started to reach for it, he would remember the pain, stop, cry, and wouldn't eat it. She eventually put him in a high chair with a bowl of the stuff (that I held in front of the air conditioner & stirred to cool it off) and he ate it with his hands once it was cool enough. One funny moment was my friend was holding his right hand over the food trying to see if it was hot when I reminded him that he can't feel heat (or anything really) with that hand. A few minutes earlier he grabbed something hot off the stove with that hand and commented on how he can't feel with it and should be more careful so he doesn't get burned.

Took mom to walmart after to get her RX. She shopped a little while I waited in line. Took longer than my usual trips since she was there, but she actually got her shopping done faster than usual. I think because we were getting frozen stuff and she wanted ice cream. LOL.

Today I've been chatting with another friend via messenger to plan out her kitchen reno.

I've slowly been getting measurements and preference info from her.

Today was clean up day at the rental property.

Living room
20211016_154326_HDR.jpg

Kitchen
20211016_154409_HDR.jpg

Bath
20211016_154514_HDR.jpg

Bedroom
20211016_154529_HDR.jpg

Den
20211016_154558.jpg

My brother want to put down some floor polish and we are basically ready. We have received an application for a credit check from one potential tenant so we are hoping to get it rented out soon.

I took my breaks while working next to the pond where both springs are running good and the leaves have started to fall.

20211016_152302.jpg

20211016_152012_HDR-PANO.jpg

The Princess and I will start our evening early since she needs to tend to some network changes for the library system at 5:00 AM.

Sure feels like God is smiling.

Ben

Last edited:
Today we got the tomatoes and the green beans canned, didn't have enough jars for the 10 gallons of peppers I picked, ordered more jars and plan to roast them mid week....

The weather here was crazy, morning was beautiful, cool and clear got a lot of work done in the garden and observed how the battery box and solar array were working... Had the inverter kicking out a constant 400 watts for electrical appliances in the house. Then around 14:00 it got dark, wind and rain, lost power for a while. Learned lots of stuff, when it got dark the solar output dropped to nothing, the batteries were already under a load when it got dark, so when the power went out they were already down some, the oxygen equipment knocked them down further by the time the power came back on....

If it had been a real emergency I would have run out of battery power around midnight because they were already partly drained when the power went out. The lesson I learned is that "if" there is a weather event in the forecast that could result in a power outage, I would be better served to have the batteries fully charged in the hours leading up to the event.... sort of like filling your generator gas cans before the storm.....

Other than that I don't know what we did, the day just turned into a blur.....

Last edited:
Visited with my favorite cousin and her daughter and family this afternoon while husband played amish driver for my cousin Harry. Harry is a historian of sorts, so the talk was nonstop. A 3 hr roundtrip, and a truck load of wheat seed that he wanted, and the unloading. They had a great time visiting. My cousin and her daughter had made a trip to the small home owned amish store this morning, and she asked if I had ever seen an "amish Keurig"., Ha. Never. But she bought one, $33.00. One of her sons loves keurig coffee, and they don't have electricity. But there's a non electric version, and it works real well. I think I've seen it all. Twins should be home any minute. They've been at marching band competition all day.

Hello everyone and sorry I have not been in here for a considerable time but things got a bit hectic with organising things here, trying to get maintenance done on the home since April and to get a tradie that actually turns up, nesting ie buying furniture and other things we need and dealing with fatigue and memory issues with DH which are thankfully getting better.

Firstly good news that we have just had DH's yearly review for his brain aneurysm surgery and we have got the all clear that there is no more aneurysms that have appeared :). I have also been told that there is a strong possibility I have recovered from Graves disease and hyperthyroidism and have been off all medication now for 5 weeks and am feeling pretty good. Awaiting the results from a blood test to see that things haven't gone the other way with hypothyroidism so keep your fingers crossed for me as I really want to be off medications.

I am reading a lot about the shortages of groceries there in the States and the problems with unloading of ship cargo which is not good and as we are all interconnected even here in Australia things are getting hairy to say the least.

We are also experiencing high inflation on goods like sugar up in prices by 27 - 33% in costs for both raw and white sugar, powdered milk has gone up 33% , meat has gone up considerably in costs although I get a lot on specials and markdowns, things like ride on lawn mower blades have gone up 25% in cost if we can source them at all, our solar feed in tariff has gone down by 17% making it less coming off our power bill for energy we produce, clothing has also risen dramatically in costs.

In the supermarkets here in rural Qld we are seeing what I call fronting up with it looking like the shelves are full but there is only say two tins fronted up and nothing behind them so yes many businesses are having trouble getting stock from what I am seeing. We have increased our grocery stockpile considerably with half price specials since I have found as well as markdowns and good prices on meat and have been shopping different places to get good prices. I also found a good wholesale fruit and veg shop in our travels and we have purchased lots of veg and blanched and frozen it.:)

As we are also seeing a lot of shortages on appliances and the like with backlogs on ordering we have also purchased what we needed in the way of those with spares.

With things like mower blades we have stocked up when we found them to make sure we have supplies of them and filters as well and with laptop batteries and cords we also stocked up a spare each as they seem hard to find also. With DH doing the occasional paid mowing job we need mower blades for mowing our property and others as well.

Clothing was a boon as with lock downs in other states in Australia one store had an excess of clothing they couldn't sell so they sent their stock to Qld to liquidate at ridiculously low prices. I got a heap of really good quality cotton and linen long sleeved shirts and cotton long pants for DH for $3.60 ea, got some tops for myself also $3.60 ea and from another store a lot of cotton linen shorts for $4 ea. Usually these all retail for $49.99 for the shirts, likewise for the pants and about $25 - $30 for the tops and up to $39.95 for the linen shorts. We are happy and won't need clothing for some time as we heard there will be a cotton shortage with rolling blackouts in China due to a lack of coal and flooding so their mines cannot mine their coal.

In the gardens we have been trench composting the gardens and creating compost piles in them to build up the levels of the soil and added a lot of well composted grass clippings to them as we have acreage and a mound of grass clippings. Also planted turnips, capsicums and carrot seeds in the gardens which are now sprouting and looking good.

Nesting in the home we have purchased 2 x 3 dr and 2 x 2 dr sliding door wardrobes for the bedroom, built them from flat packs and now have heaps of room for all our clothing. Much better than hanging portable garment racks :). We also found an extendable antique replica 2.4 x 1 metre dining table for the grand total of $60 and restored the top with varnish and it looks brand new. It is currently sitting in our combined lounge room dining room and we are so happy to get a table at such as low price since new they are anywhere from $2500 - $10 000 for a solid wood extendable dining table.

We also purchased a carpet shampooer and shampooed all the carpets and rugs in our home so we will no longer have to pay for this service either. Both of us are all for reducing our dependence on any paid services that we can as they are going up in price all the time.

I have been looking for a tradie to replace two stumps under our home and level it, to do some structural work on the tank stand sheds that were sagging with posts collapsing, fix some cupboard doors and do a wetback system to divert water from half way down our home to the back rain water tanks as the gutters do not have enough fall and the water is lying. Pleased to say after hunting since April for someone to do all these jobs I have got a fantastic quote from a local tradie who can come out to do them all without a 6 month waiting list and who will actually turn up. Just emailed him to start work for which we will pay cash for.

We are looking into off grid battery backup systems for our solar system at the moment as word has it that our feed in tariffs may disappear altogether so we want to be more energy independent in the home.

Dh had also been feeling exhausted as they were adjusting his medication for PTSD and he was rather not with it and was suffering memory loss and not taking in much at all. As his carer I pared back to basics to look after him and as a result not had much time to go online. Pleased to say now his medication level is at the right levels he is far more with it and more logical.

Thanks @LadyLocust for emailing to check up on us.
So glad to "see" you here and doing well.

My daughter and I took a drive to the "Driftless Zone" in Northeast Iowa today to see the fall colors. The colors weren't that good, but we did see some great scenery. That area never got flattened by the glaciers that made the middle of Iowa so smooth. It's full of limestone bluffs, caves, and natural springs. I got some pics at Dunning's Springs Park in Decorah Iowa...
20211016_142848.jpg
20211016_142407.jpg
20211016_142728.jpg

Worked around here, went to the dump and CoOp to get a chain saw checked out and stock up on some spare parts for that saw. Back home and worked in the shop to clean up some stuff I had and create some space. Just before dark started a fire in our little pit. Set out around it enjoying a beautiful evening at around 50 degrees. Watchin 4th quarter of UT and Ole Miss.

Went back to town today to finish up a couple of errands that got sidetracked. It was worth the trip, a nice day for a drive, sky was blue and not a lot of traffic. Even saw the buses with the Bama football team leaving for tonight’s game, they won.

@Spikedriver you're killin me here, been wanting get out in the woods for some serious plant hunting... haven't been for more than a couple hrs here or there all year.

Latest posts

Back